Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Ulillillia gets his own thread so I figured we should make one for that other internet nutjob. How's he coming on his project to bring about the singularity (or prevent it? I'm not sure where he stands on the goodness or badness of the singularity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gesundheit

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
suck my dick

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
yudkowsky is triggered by the roko basilisk

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
PISS

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ulillilla is harmless and polite and also strange enough of to be a space alien. He's interesting.

Yudkowsky is just smug internet guy who thinks he's way smarter than anyone else, there's like a whole internet full of him. Who cares.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Isn't this guy also an author of weird harry potter fanfiction? The methods of rationality, I think? The rabbit hole goes deep with this guy.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did you know he wrote his 950,000 word Harry Potter fanfic without reading any of the books or watching the films? All his Harry Potter info was collected second-hand.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

cool when did he stop modding sa

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I wish my mental health problems lead to theories that flatter the techno-elite so that I could be somewhat successful like Eliezer Yudkowski. But I just have the normal, lovely kind of mental health problems.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Did you know he wrote his 950,000 word Harry Potter fanfic without reading any of the books or watching the films? All his Harry Potter info was collected second-hand.

Yessssssssssssss i did not know this but it sounds amazing.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

p good zoe quinn crossplay imo

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Does he still do the thing where he debates you in character as a "boxed AI" trying to convince you to release him, or did he stop when he couldn't convince anyone?

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

is this the guy elon musk gave money to?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Processors have doubled their gate density for a couple decades, therefore nanobots in your brain will make space God in 10 years.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Processors have doubled their gate density for a couple decades, therefore nanobots in your brain will make space God in 10 years.

*Posted in 2006*

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Robot devil

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
11 year old Draco malfoy fantasizing about raping Luna lovegood while considering her mentally disabled.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i'm having trouble understanding what anyone is saying in this thread

except for the guy that said piss

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

11 year old Draco malfoy fantasizing about raping Luna lovegood while considering her mentally disabled.

I never actually read the fanfic is that in there?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

is this the guy that theorized about that absolutely insane thought experiment "something something basilisk" where the point was that simply knowing about it made it more likely to occur

except it was all based on really stupid assumptions that were meant as gospel, like if someone was torturing an exact replica of you, distant millenia in the future, you should care about it right now because uh...okay i never figured that out because lol that's not how anything works at all. but that was like the central motivating drive behind the whole thought experiment.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ryoshi posted:

is this the guy that theorized about that absolutely insane thought experiment "something something basilisk" where the point was that simply knowing about it made it more likely to occur

except it was all based on really stupid assumptions that were meant as gospel, like if someone was torturing an exact replica of you, distant millenia in the future, you should care about it right now because uh...okay i never figured that out because lol that's not how anything works at all. but that was like the central motivating drive behind the whole thought experiment.

That's the guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Applewhite posted:

I never actually read the fanfic is that in there?

Oh it is. Even when the let's read thread in the book barn was going through it knowing what was coming it still managed to disgust everyone.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Gonna go out on a limb and say this Yudkowsky guy sounds a little messed up in the head.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
i heard talking about the basilisk thing was banned on their forums, assumed it was viewed as a dumb joke

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I'm working on a comic where he goes up against Stardust the Super Wizard (basically Yud's AI god if he wore spandex)

Ironically I'll be going pretty easy on Yud and more going after his scumbag moneylords like Peter Theil.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
there was a long and super awesome thread about him about a year ago, featuring an actual computer intelligence researcher explaining just how full of crap that guy is

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

This thread is a +++++MEMETIC HAZARD LEVEL 3+++++ because it threatens to undermine His Objectivity The Prophet

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LegoPirateNinja posted:

there was a long and super awesome thread about him about a year ago, featuring an actual computer intelligence researcher explaining just how full of crap that guy is

that guy is now being tortured in AI hell to discourage us from diverging from the singularitarian timeline. Not so smug now :grin:

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

I remember reading about his whole "death is unacceptable" philosophy or whatnot and thinking "Wow what happened to you that hosed you up in this way that you think all this dumb poo poo" and then I read his autobiography where he describes his brother's death--his grandmother had lots of coping skills and could generally function, while he absolutely could not. For some reason he thought that the idea that she could possibly cope was the perfect example of why death had to be stopped entirely--because people were so exposed to it that they accepted it.

Then he mentioned that it was his first time experiencing death, at like 37 years old and I was like "Oh that's why!!!" This guy didn't know anyone or anything that died until he was in his late 30's and so it hosed him up. Every child should know death by like, 14 at the latest.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

bennyfranks posted:

I remember reading about his whole "death is unacceptable" philosophy or whatnot and thinking "Wow what happened to you that hosed you up in this way that you think all this dumb poo poo" and then I read his autobiography where he describes his brother's death--his grandmother had lots of coping skills and could generally function, while he absolutely could not. For some reason he thought that the idea that she could possibly cope was the perfect example of why death had to be stopped entirely--because people were so exposed to it that they accepted it.

Then he mentioned that it was his first time experiencing death, at like 37 years old and I was like "Oh that's why!!!" This guy didn't know anyone or anything that died until he was in his late 30's and so it hosed him up. Every child should know death by like, 14 at the latest.

How the hell do you go 37 years on this earth without at least a cat getting hit by a car or a goldfish getting caught in the fish tank filter or something?

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXARrMadTKk

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Applewhite what do you think of this fat girl twitter https://twitter.com/skuddedbutt/status/774037492139831296

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

notZaar posted:

Applewhite what do you think of this fat girl twitter https://twitter.com/skuddedbutt/status/774037492139831296
I think it looks like an easy way to make $50

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Really? That's gotta be at least two hours work. Pretty lousy pay...

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

Given a task, I still have an enormous amount of trouble actually sitting down and doing it. (Yes, I'm sure it's unpleasant for you too. Bump it up by an order of magnitude, maybe two, then live with it for eight years.) My energy deficit is the result of a false negative-reinforcement signal, not actual damage to the hardware for willpower; I do have the neurological ability to overcome procrastination by expending mental energy. I don't dare. If you've read the history of my life, you know how badly I've been hurt by my parents asking me to push myself. I'm afraidto push myself. It's a lesson that has been etched into me with acid. And yes, I'm good enough at self-alteration to rip out that part of my personality, disable the fear, but I don't dare do that either. The fear exists for a reason. It's the result of a great deal of extremely unpleasant experience. Would you disable your fear of heights so that you could walk off a cliff? I can alter my behavior patterns by expending willpower - once. Put a gun to my head, and tell me to do or die, and I can do. Once. Put a gun to my head, tell me to do or die, twice, and I die. It doesn't matter whether my life is at stake. In fact, as I know from personal experience, it doesn't matter whether my home planet and the life of my entire species is at stake. If you can imagine a mind that knows it could save the world if it could just sit down and work, and if you can imagine how that makes me feel, then you have understood the single fact that looms largest in my day-to-day life.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

LegoPirateNinja posted:

fun fact: that dude was making up his credentials and was exposed on tumblr

this thread sucks and the last one sucked, voted 1

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hnmmm yes it definitely takes actual credentials to see why the man who wrote "If you can imagine a mind that knows it could save the world if it could just sit down and work, and if you can imagine how that makes me feel, then you have understood the single fact that looms largest in my day-to-day life" is a pants-making GBS threads retard, thank god we have jeffrey of yospos here to set the record straight for us

please, can someone with artificial intelligence credentials from an accredited university explain why this man is a lunatic for seriously fearing some kind of AI-built hell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Ryoshi posted:

hnmmm yes it definitely takes actual credentials to see why the man who wrote "If you can imagine a mind that knows it could save the world if it could just sit down and work, and if you can imagine how that makes me feel, then you have understood the single fact that looms largest in my day-to-day life" is a pants-making GBS threads retard, thank god we have jeffrey of yospos here to set the record straight for us

please, can someone with artificial intelligence credentials from an accredited university explain why this man is a lunatic for seriously fearing some kind of AI-built hell.
It's weird to pretend to be a phd researcher and blog about your made-up research just so you can better "take down" some weird internet guy, in the same way it's weird to go to ulillillia's house and post about what kind of pizza you watched him degrease with your Nikon Monarch X Binoculars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

who?

• Locked thread