Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its in the 80s so it feels really wrong to start my Horror Marathon prepping, but on the other hand I woke up last night in a cold sweat because apropros of nothing the loving Babadook attacked me in the middle of an otherwise perfectly "normal" dream. As I sat in the dark quietly muttering "there's no such thing, there's no such thing, there's no such thing" I realized it was time to start putting my list of available movies together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really loved Lords of Salem and it felt like such a classicly well down horror film to me and really surprised me. I try to make my marathon about "first viewings" but I have kind of a secondary list of "second viewings" for movies I liked but want to watch again and see how they hold up, and LoS is near the top of that list.

I enjoyed his other stuff for what they were but LoS definitely seemed to show an extra layer for the guy which I wish he'd explore. Its clear he's got the love and understanding of the genre and enough creative chops and filmmaking skills to really do something great if he got the right mix of talent, collaborators, and ideas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A goal I'm sitting for myself is to use this year to watch a lot of the classic pre-80s horrors that I really haven't given a good shake. I have nothing against old movies. Some of my favorite horror films include Night of the Living Dead and Black Sabbath. I've just always tended to go for the flashy instead of the old black and white or whatever. So I want to correct that this year and make sure and mix a bunch of them in with modern stuff. For example, I've never seen Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and I'm a little ashamed of that.

So my early list of classics includes:

- Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
- Cat People/Curse of the Cat People
- Frankenstein/Bride of/Son of
- The House on Haunted Hill
- White Zombie
- Maniac
- Carnival of Souls

That's just what I have available on my old collection DVDs or the current TV schedule and which stands out to me as movies I should have seen by now. I'll keep my eyes on TCM and I want to see a lot of Price, Lugosi, Karloff, and Chaney this October.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely try to see as much Price as you can. Also, have you seen a lot of Hammer horror? Most of it is late 50's, early 60's, so it definitely fits your criteria. I would also highly recommend Eyes Without a Face(1960).

Some, but not enough. Its one of those things. I've got hundreds of those public domain movies and I've seen plenty of the classic Hammer and Universal stuff over the years, but I've just never really given anything pre-80s as much as time as I'll give any random piece of poo poo horror made during my lifetime. So I want to make a point this season to watch the modern films I REALLY want to watch but instead of watching a bunch of lovely B horror in between to watch this older stuff and flesh out my experience/knowledge.

Thanks for the suggestion, already added it to my list. Any other suggestions from anyone for movies pre-80s I absolutely need to watch?

Basebf555 posted:

Bringing up a blank calendar for the month of October and assigning a movie(s) to each day is probably just as fun as watching the movies themselves. Not that I stick to it 100%, but I kind of enjoy waking up in the morning and knowing "hey, its Return of the Living Dead day!"

I never really stick to my schedule, but I basically follow 3 steps.

1) Create a list of movies I want to watch or options I have.
2) Try to space them out on the calender to group together themes or break up quality/type so I don't burn out on kind or anything and spread it out through the month.
3) Watch whatever the gently caress I feel like when the days actually come.

Its a loose outline, really, not a true schedule. But yeah, its fun to sometimes get excited about watching X movie on Y day and helps keep myself from just frontloading the month and losing interest.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 23, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Black Sabbath is one of my favorites and the Karloff segment is one of my absolute favorite monsters that gets under my skin in a way I can never shake.

I also think if you like that its worth checking out the "Skin and Bones" episode of Fear Itself, which basically remade that story with Doug Jones in the Karloff role. A truly terrifying performance, IMO, in an otherwise forgettable anthology series.

Its even apparently up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIpLjjKoa0s

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, we're off!

October 1st

- (1) 30 Days of Night (2007)
"No God."

So my October rule is "new movies." I get a kick out of holding off horror movies all year and watching them for the first time in October. So I officially only count them. But I also love movies I've seen before and will probably see more of them than the new ones this October, so they enter the second count. This year I started with one of those because I had company and they picked. I didn't mind.

I've actually always been a little surprised this movie doesn't get more love. It seems poorly regarded and reviewed but I think it does a ton well. It has really gruesome and horrifying monsters that are simple. I suppose you could argue they're too simple and one dimensional but there's some subtext to them and I think they're scarier as just terrifying animals on the hunt. The setting is beautiful and horrific. All that snow not only helps really sell the "there's no escape" setting of the film but also makes for some really beautiful/terrifying images of blood or _____oil______ soaked snow. Not to mention blizzards and the use of them in the story.

I also think it does a good job with characters. Few characters are DEEP and really fully developed but at the same time there's probably dozens of characters who you recognize and know well enough to appreciate the situation they're in in the movie. I think that's a feat in and of itself. And I think the leads are fine, although its weird that I'm currently binging Penny Dreadful so Josh Hartnett is my horror guy at the moment.

Anyway, I'm not saying this is a GREAT film or a classic, but I think its a highly competent monster flick with a unique spin. I'm glad I started with it and got myself going with one I know I like.

1 (2). It Follows (2015)
Now that I've seen this movie I'm uncomfortable with that whole Ted Cruz thing and associating him with sex.

Ok, so this is what my marathon is about. A movie I've heard a ton of hype for, that I've had at my disposal since Spring, but which I've been holding back month after month waiting to see it on October 1st.

Maybe that was too much buildup. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the film. There was great use of tension and scares, even if I found some of the camera work more artistic than genuinely effective. I don't remotely mind not having clear answers on what It is and I've read a number of interpretations that I'm open to and like the ambiguity of a movie like this or Mr. Babadook (which was, oddly, last year's October 1st movie I waited all year to watch). I enjoyed this and I understand why people responded to it stylistically and thematically. Something just never fully clicked for me.

Maybe its that "It" isn't scary, but then again "It" isn't really supposed to be. Its the dread and knowing fear that its always approaching and that there's no true escape that is scary. Maybe the acting was off? I think the lead played her part well though, and really they're all basically well done disaffected youth stuck dealing with this horror on their own for no carefully laid out reasons (again, I get the subtext and I appreciate it, even really enjoying how its almost a sendup of how most teen horror movies always seem to be remarkable adultless without some vague "the adults are all drinking away their dying American suburban dreams" subtext).

I don't know. I definitely enjoyed it and call it a win, its just not one of the best of the last few years that I've seen. I think. In the end I suspect the hype and drawn out buildup for this might have hurt this movie for me. This is one that would have been way more effective if it had surprised me in the middle of the month. Que sera sera.

You know what bothered me? This is a weird one. What the gently caress time period was this movie set in? On one hand it seems to clearly be the 70s-80s with the jean jackets, corded landlines, tube tvs, and a freaking typewriter. But the movie starts with a girl on her cell phone. And that one girl carries around some kind of compact e-reader all movie. So what the hell? I could buy that the first scene is from a different period and "It" just exists always. But that compact distracted me the entire movie. My best guess is that the movie was supposed to be intentionally anachronistic to make a statement about it being a universal tale of adolescence and coming of age. On one level I think I get that. But the thing is I couldn't stop thinking about it during the movie, especially when that compact came out. It became a real distraction to me that took me out of the film.

In the end I think maybe THAT's it. I think the movie was TOO "dream like" and intentionally "limbo" like. I never felt truly grounded in the film and that made it hard for me to ever fully invest in it or the plight of Jay. I don't know. In the end I come away thinking this was an interesting idea handled pretty well for a rookie director, but which feels like a movie done by a rookie director who made some key mistakes.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 2, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Interview With a Vampire was really good 20 years ago and I haven't watched it in at least 10 years because I'm positively certain it doesn't hold up for poo poo. Like, the young adult/vampire thing has been ridden so far into the ground over the last decade that Anne Rice has to seem like such trite garbage now. But at the time I thought it was pretty good and there wasn't a lot like it. And Kirsten Dunst was a hell of a child actress and a really uncomfortable role.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Random Stranger posted:

Setting aside the fact that no one is going to horror check you ("I'm sorry, that film is actually suspense rather than horror. You are hereby disqualified from the Horror Movie Challenge.") horror as a genre is a really broad tent. The boundaries are fuzzy as it blends into other genres easily.

Yeah. The thing I like to say is that I personally consider Alien a horror film and Aliens an action film. They're both obviously sci-fi and I've had a lot of sci-fi fans argue some purity in that regard, but my argument is that while its an alien and space Alien is pretty much a very classic monster/haunted house film in its tone and pacing. On the other hand I wouldn't call Aliens a horror because it abandons a lot of those elements and replaces them with more action movie approaches.

But no one's going to get mad if you feel Seven is a horror movie and someone else thinks its a crime movie or film noir.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I confessed at the start that I had never truly seen many of the classic films from the pre-80s/70s eras of horror. Its embarrassing as a horror fan to admit, but its true. And I set out to correct that this year and make sure to mix in plenty of these into my otherwise balance of movies from all decades. This goal began tonight with one of the absolute classics that I can't believe I've never seen before.

2 (3). Frankenstein (1931)
"Its alive! Its alive!"

So many names in the credits I know but have never truly experienced. So many classic scenes and lines that I know but never saw the context of. One of the greatest, most iconic monsters of the genre and I'd never actually seen him in his glory. And my misconceptions. Its not "Victor Frankenstein", its Henry. Its not "Ygor", its Fritz. What a fool I am.

I enjoyed this. I say it that plainly because I was kind of torn going in as to whether I will end up grading these older films on a curve given the technical and artistic limitations and different standards they have. But really, its simply a good movie. Not especially scary (or "horrifying" as the introduction warns), granted, but that's one of those curves you have to grade on since obviously my sensibilities are different from the audience of 1931.

1931. God drat. I'm always amazed when films made that long ago hold up so well today. But its all there. A solid story, good acting, good directing and shooting. Sure, some camera work is jaunty and the standards for horror are different, but by every fair standard I can judge the film on it delivered.

And truthfully, I didn't know if it would. I was worried that I'd be dragging myself through these movies as an obligation, but I genuinely enjoyed it and was worlds more captivated than the episodes of Fear The Walking Dead I binged prior to it (I know, not a high bar but I think a fair one considering the "decades" standards I'm applying here to show that I can enjoy the old more than the new).

I'm glad on one level that I finally saw Frankenstein as I'm sure I'll be glad with other movies this month, but I also just plain enjoyed my viewing and I'm really excited by that fact and the promise of more to come.

And I finally saw Boris Karloff in action (you know, not as the Grinch) and I'm not sure I've ever done that. And I saw a James Whale movie. It really is a disgrace that it took me this long.

October Tally - New (Total)
- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 4, 2016

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

3 (4). The Visit (2015)
Oh, poo poo. M. Night Shyamalan.

I went in cautious with the "M. Night Rules." I expected an interesting concept that stood a better than 50/50 chance of being ruined by a really stupid twist. I pretty much enjoyed this one. It wasn't great, but M. Night restrained himself from going crazy with the twist. He actually did a solid job hear of foreshadowing some much crazier twists and then settling on a totally reasonable and still horrifying twist. You could say it lacked punch but it worked for me because I wasn't exactly expecting it. I had so many truly insane M. Night ideas in my head (aliens like in the story; cult with the visitors) that when they went with the fairly obvious that totally lines up I said "Oh... that works. Oh poo poo..."

So the "M. Night" stuff aside, it was just a pretty solid horror. It passed the "found footage" rules by having no "cheating" scenes that I noticed that wouldn't make sense being filmed (once we get past the idea that Becca would be finishing this thing after everything, which I buy based on her character). It had its tension and jump scares in the method. Enough to keep me in. The story moved along well. I guess if I'm going to criticize its that the end didn't have a ton of punch. But obviously Shyamalan went with a more emotional ending and it worked, I think, even though it felt like a slight tonal change (even though the whole movie was clearly working towards it, so I'm not too critical).

Its not one I'll rewatch, but it worked for what it was. All in all a surprise since I guess I go into any M. Night Shyamalan movie on some level expecting to be watching The Happening or The Lady in the Water so otherwise probably mediocre films like this and Devil tend to come as pleasant surprises.

I was hoping to sneak one more in and catch up but its late. drat politics and baseball. This is going to be a tough month with my interests divided as they are.

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've been super busy and been watching baseball so I'm already way behind. A couple of nights ago I started watching An American Haunting but bailed after 15 minutes. My general rule is if I don't care 15 minutes in I'm out, and by that point I feel like this movie had introduced like every cliche just randomly and stupid and was for some reason happening in different timelines and was just poo poo. Anyway, yeah. I got back on the train tonight.

4 (5). Red State (2011)
"Even Nazis think this guy is nucking futs."

This is one of the single weirdest horror movies I've ever seen. Not "weird" in that good way like an Italian horror or a Lovecraft story or just a "they took a lot of drugs" way. Just a "what the gently caress was the plan here" kind of weird. I didn't know it was written and directed by Kevin Smith until the end credits ran, and if I did maybe I would have been more prepared. But I don't know. Its not like it was some kind of Smith comedy. I wouldn't even call it a dark comedy. I guess there could have been a couple of moments if you're really morbid but mostly it was just... I don't know.

Its an interesting enough premise on its face. Take those homophobic fire and brimstone preachers and churches who call for the death of homosexuals and then take the next crazy step to have them actually start killing people. Seemed like it could make for a really interesting slasher. Then like 20 minutes in there's this 20 minute sermon scene that just never really clicks and kind of drags the movie to a halt (and it wasn't moving that fast anyway). But then you kind of have the makings for a "last girl/guy" slasher developing and then... well, the best way I can describe it is that halfway through the film they introduce a new cast, John Goodman has a 10 minute one sided phone conversation in his PJs, and it becomes some kind of cop film.

And... there's no one likable in this thing. I mean, the teens are just rear end in a top hat teens. They don't deserve to die or anything, but they're not given enough time or depth to be rootable. And then the movie tries something really weird to try and rehabilitate a "final girl" into the movie and its just... well, I didn't even know how I felt about it and then the movie upended it again. Its like Smith was just getting his jollies pulling the carpet out every 20 minutes like he lost a bet with M. Night Shyamalan.

It was loving weird. Its like Smith set out to make a horror film and then got lost getting mad about political stuff. I don't know. It was weird.

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015) / 4 (5). Red State (2011)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Haven't had access to my DVR or DVDs where I have all the old films I want to watch so I picked a couple of random things I could stream tonight because I'm falling way behind and need to play catchup.

5 (6). The Forest (2016)
So generic I can't think of anything memorable to put here.

My subtitle says it all. I wasn't too excited going in. I just picked a random movie and I have a crush on Natalie Dormer. Haunted forest that can drive you crazy is a simple but perfectly servicable idea. And its not like the movie really did anything especially wrong. I guess I'm mildly bothered by the dangling thread of whether Aidan really was some weirdo or if it was all in Sarah's head but that's really just me reaching for something to talk about. This one was really just one of a hundreds of horror movies that was just there and a year from now I might end up watching it and then half way through remember I'd seen it before.

6 (7). Ava’s Possessions (2015)
"We don't use the d word."

This one had what I thought was a really great premise. Ava wakes up from an exorcism only to find out she's been possessed for a month and has to clean up the mess its left of her live including a bunch of criminal charges, a ton of broken relationships, a mysterious blood stain, and some dead goldfish. It had a really promising start with some deadpan humor and the inspired silly idea of a "Possessions Anonymous" program not only existing but being an established part of the criminal justice system. Somewhere during the movie it just seemed to start taking itself too serious. It wasn't silly enough to be a true comedy and wasn't serious or dark enough to be a true horror. It was disappointing. The promotional material that turned me onto the movie seemed to recognize that "comedy" was the best sell but it doesn't seem like they realized that while making the movie or writing the script. Its a shame because I think this could have been really great if it went either way but it tried to walk some middle line and got kind of bogged down in plots that really didn't have time to ever feel like they matter. I didn't care about the ending reveal because it just wasn't earned and characters besides Ava weren't developed enough for me to care. Ah well. It was still mostly a fun watch.

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015) / 4 (5). Red State (2011) / 5 (6). The Forest (2016) / 6 (7). Ava’s Possessions (2015)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't watched anything in 5 days. My mom went to the ER and I spent most of the week in the hospital. In what free time I had watching horror was definitely not what I wanted to experience given the situation. Thankfully she's home and things are better so I'm going to try and pick this back up. I can definitely still hit 31 fairly easily by doubling up a bunch but I've managed to miss 8 days out of 14 in October and I need to correct that if I'm ever going to really feel this thing. I'm just not in the Halloween mood and i have to find a way to change that.

7 (8). Phantasm (1979)
"You play a good game, boy, but the game is finished! Now you die!"

Even though this is clearly a popular choice I did not see the in theaters HD version. Just a regular old SD version here.

This is one of those movies I know I saw when I was younger, primarily because it gave me nightmares. But I remembered almost nothing about it. Bits and pieces. The Tall Man. Reggie. Creepy dwarves. Silver death balls. But I had no idea what the movie was about coming in so I counted it as new. Of course I'm not real sure I know what its about coming out of either.

I get why this is a classic. The SD version doesn't age super well but the HD trailer looks much nicer. But even in the aged SD version I get it. Its eerie. Not so much scary, but unnerving in a way. I know why it gave me nightmares as a kid. The dreamlike state of things and freaky images. Plus the overarching sense of loss. Lets just say I'm really glad I didn't watch this while my mom was in the hospital or else I probably would have reacted very differently. I don't know what the gently caress happened and the whole third act was weird as gently caress even without the double twist if "Huh?" but it was a fun ride. I have the HD version pencilled in for next year's watch.

Man, I would have loved to be in the pitch room for this.
"We need something new for horror."
"I got something. A creepy mortician is actually a gender bending alien who smooshes corpses into undead dwarf slaves to send back to his planet. And he has killer balls."
"..."
"Oh. And its actually all a dream and a metaphor for a kid struggling to deal with the death of his family. But its not! Or it is! Argento!"
"..."

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015) / 4 (5). Red State (2011) / 5 (6). The Forest (2016) / 6 (7). Ava’s Possessions (2015) / 7 (8). Phantasm (1979)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

8 (9). Willow Creek (2013)
"And I have no phone reception. The beginning of every horror movie."

I love found footage films because when they work they really work and can do a lot with a little. Telling the story from a first hand perspective helps you connect with the couple of characters you have really deeply when it works and then the scares come not from scaring you but scaring them. I don't have to see Bigfoot to be scared, because I can feel how scared they are.

This one really worked for me, which is impressive considering how little happens. Seriously, by the time anything starts happened I looked and it was like 51 minutes into the movie. But I didn't mind. I was enjoying the ride and into it and it didn't feel at all like an hour had passed. Then they do so much with so little. I mean, a 20 minute scene of them sitting in their tent listening to noises? But it worked and when stuff happened I drat near jumped out of my skin.

The ending probably could have done for a little more and I wouldn't have minded seeing more. But I appreciate the way they went and the total weirdness of the half naked lady and the kind of ideas that could have been implying. I gotta say, as scary as sasquatches were in theory somehow the idea that they're all essentially hill people dudes who are kidnapping human women to make babies is way, way scarier. Hell, I briefly kind of wondered if the implication was that they actually were just hill people like that old guy suggested early on but there's enough there to kind of debunk that the theory I think. I'll just be scared of Bigfoots. Bigfeet?

Part of what made this work for me is probably that I've never been camping and I probably never will. I grew up in New York City apartments surrounded by people. And it wasn't the best neighborhood so I knew the danger of people. But people don't scare me. Being totally alone in the middle of nowhere with no chance for help scares the living poo poo out of me. And this film captures that well. I started feeling the sense of dread as soon as those two started wandering off the trail and into the woods with seemingly no thought of how they were going to find their way back. You drat, drat fools.

If you're going to wander into the woods at least learn how to read a compass, please.

I am waaaaaay behind. I need some doubleheader nights.

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015) / 4 (5). Red State (2011) / 5 (6). The Forest (2016) / 6 (7). Ava’s Possessions (2015) / 7 (8). Phantasm (1979) / 8 (9). Willow Creek (2013)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Random Stranger posted:

It's scary how often this is true about found footage movies. I'm sure it's because they're all shot on the cheap, they have only about twenty minutes of actual story (including the stage setting and building atmosphere), and they want to pad the film as much as possible.

Its kind of the nature of found footage. Those movies are designed to suck you into the first person perspective and the characters and the tension is about what's appearing just off camera. The found footage genre basically says "in most movies you have some kind of omnipotent view where you can see what's happening elsewhere, with us you can only see what's in front of you." That means you spend a lot of time waiting to see what happens and if they do it right you spend that time building up sympathy for the people whose eyes you've been seeing through and getting scared with them when they get scared.

I don't think you can cut that down to 20 minutes without sacrificing the empathy and tension you theoretically feel. And really, I think those are the most important aspects to horror instead of gore or monster effects or whatever.

I wasn't criticizing it with Willow Creek because I thought it worked. I wasn't at all bothered that nothing was happening. Other movies drag.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

9 (10). The Invitation (2015)
I can't think of anything cute to say.

This was interesting. I feel like I enjoyed it less than the others who have watched it in this thread. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. I thought it was incredibly well done and had me completely engaged. I just wasn't loving it.

I think the big issue is I just didn't feel the tension through out the movie. Don't get me wrong, I agreed with Will that these people were nuts and probably in a cult. But I didn't really feel the danger he was feeling and I actually just totally bought into the idea that he was just grieving. So it never really felt like a horror movie to me.

But it was an amazing portrayal of grief and pain. Will's otherworldly shock of being back in the home where he lost his child and his anger that he felt that Eden was trying to minimize it. The absolute helplessness all of Will's friends feel as one-by-one they awkwardly apologize to him for not being able to do more or even know what to do for him except say "I'm here." Even the appeal for Eden to throw herself into a crazy faith just to find some relief from the pain and some sense of purpose. Its really a beautiful, horrible film about what is really the hardest part of life.

Another small criticism I have is I just simply didn't buy the red lantern signifier that this cult had brainwashed and murdered half of LA. It just seemed like a bridge too far and not terribly plausible and really the whole thing would have worked more to be (and felt more ominous) if it had just stayed with 1 brainwashed couple doing these things and really playing up the random madness of it all and mirroring the random madness of the death of a child.

But I'll give it this, this was the wrong movie to watch before I went to bed last night. I spent at least an hour tossing and turning with the ideas of this movie in my head. The Invitation, its your fault I feel like crap today.

- (1). 30 Days of Night (2007) / 1 (2). It Follows (2015) / 2 (3). Frankenstein (1931) / 3 (4). The Visit (2015) / 4 (5). Red State (2011) / 5 (6). The Forest (2016) / 6 (7). Ava’s Possessions (2015) / 7 (8). Phantasm (1979) / 8 (9). Willow Creek (2013) / 9 (10). The Invitation (2015)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crap, sorry. Double post.

Random Stranger posted:

I know you were criticizing the film and I have seen a few found footage movies that use the build up effectively. I was replying because that comment does reflect something that an awful lot of found footage movies do poorly.

Most found footage films would benefit hugely from losing about forty-five minutes of their first hour because presumably there's still an editor working on the footage before the viewer sees it even from the perspective of the film. You can get those same connections across to the viewer very quickly in less time and be more effective about it; see how a good short film can do it. Also, it doesn't help empathy if you wind up hating the people that they have on screen :v: .

Now to do that, the screenwriter, editor, and the director need to think carefully about how they're establishing the film and find ways to fill it out effectively. Obviously, just taking a razor blade to the celluloid isn't going to help. But there are plenty of times when I'm watching found footage and asking, "Why is this scene even here?"

I mean, its a double edged sword. Its funny, I think "why is this scene here" scenes kind of work in found footage because it theoretically builds up the "found footage" approach that there was no editor cutting off unnecessary scenes. Obviously, it can go too far and if you actually do include scenes that don't need to be there you have to limit them. But theoretically they not only beef up the genre premise but they SHOULD be used to help build your connection with the characters. I think some of those scenes in Willow Creek worked because they kind of showed us those personal moments between the couple and helped us understand them and their relationship a little better. It may not be important to the plot to know that Kelly is an aspiring actress who wants to move to LA and Jim doesn't want to but is a little more in love with her than she is with him so will probably do it to be with her, but in theory that stuff helps us care when they're in danger.

But it always comes down to whether its well done or not, and as we all know the horror genre tends to have a higher ration of bad-to-good films than most. Found Footage probably has an even higher ration since its so cheap and easy to make, in theory, so invited any fledgling filmmaker to grab a couple of cameras and give it a try. The fact that you can basically film an entire movie on a weekend with 2 cameras and a couple of friends is both cool and a recipe for terrible movies.

• Locked thread