Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I can't wait for October to start. I already have about a dozen movies recorded or on DVD, and a ton of stuff bookmarked on YouTube and Netflix. TCM may end up occupying most of my time though. Their October schedule is insanely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Green Room is hitting Netflix soon (at least in Canada, not sure about US).

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

The Baby is so bonkers and awesome.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

It took me until the spoiler to realise that you were talking about Them and not Them!

I haven't seen Them, and I read the spoiler and I was racking my brain trying to figure out what that had to do with Them!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

1. The Walking Dead (1936)
This is a gangster movie crossed with Frankenstein. An innocent man (Boris Karloff) is framed for murder, and gets executed. A scientist who knows he was innocent resurrects him and he seeks revenge and closure. It's a pretty decent flick, and it has a very short run time at 65 minutes so it moves along quite quickly. The movie owes a lot to Frankenstein, not only in terms of casting but also in terms of imagery and themes. The resurrection scenes borrow heavily from the 1931 movie, and both stories deal with the consequences of trying to learn what happens after death.

It's interesting to see a crime movie mixed with horror in this fashion; typically, crime/horror movies usually only focus on serial killers. I'm interested to know if there are other gangster movies that deal with supernatural elements.

I am pretty sure this ones airing on TCM sometime this month, and I'd recommend watching or recording it when it does. As I mentioned, it's only 65 minutes so it really does go by quickly.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Heads up to any U.S. goons with cable that Turner Classic Movies is doing Universal's Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, and Son of Frankenstein tonight, starting at 8:00 p.m. east. Would be a real snazzy way to knock out some entries.

I know I'll certainly be exploiting it, despite y'all's assurances about Roar.

Pretty much all the Universal Frankenstein movies are worth watching. They get sillier as they go on, but they're all enjoyable. I watched a bunch last for last years thread.

Movie 2: most Likely to Die (2016): I saw this on Netflix, and I must admit I was a little intrigued. The plot synopsis is that at a killer is stalking his high school tormentors at a 10 year reunion. This is hardly an original concept, as it was used frequently in the 70s and 80s. But I thought I'd give it a shot to see a modern take on the story, and to see if they add any new elements to the concept. Sadly, this movie doesn't do anything new with the concept. Or ends up being quite dull, and has poor acting to boot. They spend a lot of time discussing poker as well, which is as exciting as it sounds. To the movies credit, it has some decent gore. It also has Perez Hilton as a paparazzi-type in it, so for those of you who like stunt-casting, there you go. Avoid this movie and watch Return to Horror High instead.

3. Trick or Treats: (1981) I found this on YouTube, and went in blind. I should have read a synopsis. It was a pretty blatant Halloween rip off. A psychotic killer is on the loose, and he's targeting a babysitter on Haloween night. I couldn't get into this at all, and it may hue been due to the shoddy video quality of streaming YouTube through my tv. It looked really lovely. The movie does go for a bit of comedy, but it comes off more annoying and mean-spirited than funny. Avoid this one.

4. Black Sabbath(1963): now this one was good. It's a Bava directed anthology film. The three segments involve a nurse who steals from the dead, a mysterious phone caller, and a vampire story.

This movie makes awesome use of color, particularly in the opening tale (the version I saw had "A Drop of Water" as the opener). It uses light and color to create an impressive atmosphere, where everything seems surreal and it adds to the paranoia of the tale. The staging of the shots is also impressive. Every frame really does look like a painting in this movie.

The special effects are also impressive. Despite the limitations of the time, everything looks really creepy and unique.

This one is definitely recommended and is a must watch for horror fans.

Watched: The walking Dead, Most Likely to die, Trick or Treats, black Sabbath

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

5. The Pack (1977): This is a decent movie. It's about a group of people on a vacation destination island that are being terrorized by stray dogs that were left behind by vacationers. The movie gets pretty brutal at times. The sound design is really well done, and my dog kept on looking at the screen every time the pack attacked or a dog cried. The attack scenes are quite well shot as well. It looks like there's a remake of this on Netflix now, but I'm not sure if it's any good.

6. Emelie (2015): I found this one of Netflix. It's about a new babysitter watching over 3 kids. She has ulterior movies for watching them. I'll admit this one got pretty disturbing at points, but the plot is somewhat nonsensical and the scenes of the parents having ironic conversations during their date gets old after a while.

7. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998): Mike Myers is back, and he's trying to kill Lorie, again. This one starts out promising enough, but after the prologue it really goes downhill. Mike Myers has never looked less menacing. It's really far from it's roots too. The original Halloween worked because it took place in a typical neighborhood. This one takes place in a boarding school and I just couldn't relate. Not the worst Halloween movie, but it's down there.

9. The Taking of Debra Logan (2014): I liked this one. It's done found footage/documentary style. It's about a woman (the titular Deborah Logan) who has alzheimer's disease, and as her disease progresses, strange things start happening, leading the viewer to question if her behavior is changing due to illness or outside forces. [spoiler] I really thought this needed to be more ambiguous in this aspect. It becomes clear that it's supernatural, and it hurts the film a little[/spoiler[

10. Ghoulies 3: Ghoulies go to College (1991): Silly movie. The ghoulies go to a college, where all the kids are in the same class, and there's only one professor. There's a prank war between two frats, and of course they blame each other for the ghoulies actions. Everyone in this movie acts like they're 8 years old.

11. CHUD 2: Bud the Chud (1989): The loving ruled. It has nothing to do with the first CHUD. It's about a zombie outbreak, but with smart zombies, and the main zombies are all distinct from each other. It's really similar to Return of the Living Dead, but the punk culture is absent, and this one doesn't balance horror and comedy as well. It is really funny though, and I highly recommend it.

12. Waxwork (1988): This one was pretty good too. There's a new wax museum in town, and teenagers get pulled into the exhibits. It's lots of fun, and features a lot of classic monsters and murderers. It's really gory too!

Watched (12): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Oh, hey, I haven't been keeping up on this.

The Ouija Experiment: Up next was to watch something based on a video or board game, which (correct me if I'm wrong) leaves one with woefully few options. I went with this because it was the most easily accessible board game movie and I wanted to watch some modern trash.

I can't think of many board games, but for video game adaptations there's all the Resident Evil and Silent Hill movies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Out of curiosity, did you watch one of the 3D home releases? I know there have been a few.

Thinking about it has made me want to watch a 3D horror movie like that this month, though one that doesn't require those terrible 3D televisions. I know there have been a few releases that just come with the tinted glasses...

I have a 3D tv, and Creature of the Black Lagoon looks amazing on it. It's better 3D than most modern releases.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

13. Bone Tomahawk (2015): I really wanted to like this one, but I really couldn't get into it at all. I was pleased to see Sid Haig in a cameo, and his appearance had me really excited. Unfortunately, the film is a bit of a slog to get through. As other posters have pointed out, it has really boring cinematography. I thought the set design, especially the savage cafe, was also poor. I'll give the movie props for having Kurt Russel in it though, he still seems like he really enjoys himself in westerns.

14. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976): I hadn't even heard of this one until it had been remade, and I'm kind of baffled as to why. It's obviously not the first slasher, but it seems like it should have a bigger reputation as helping to bridge the gap between Black Christmas and Halloween. I definitely thought of Mike a Myers when seeing the killer in this one.

The movie is about the small, but growing, city of Texarkana that is being terrorized by a serial killer. He stacks at random every 3 weeks. It not only deals with the murders, but as the title suggests, the reaction of the townsfolk to a new issue that they would never have imagined happening there.

It's a really cool movie, and I'm glad I watched it.

15. The Zodiac Killer (1971): this is a silly movie that is really just a series of vignettes about how the Zodiac killer could be anyone. It's cheesy as hell. It's interesting to note that it was made very shortly after the real life killings, so it works a bit as a historical curiosity. Of course we now know Ted Cruz was the killer, so it makes the movie seem even more outdated.

Watched (15: The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

16. Horror Express (1973): this is a stylish flick with a Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. They are anthropologists transporting a frozen caveman from Mongolia to Europe via train. Of course, thighs don't go as planned, and something is causing passengers to get killed.

It's set in the Victorian era, so it has really cool costuming. Telly Savalas shows up as a Russian government official, and his look is good. The effects are a little cheesy at times, but it's understandable given the limitations of the time.

It was pretty neat to see Lee and Cushing as allies. They always have such good chemistry together.

17. 976-Evil II (1992): I found this movie to be a little confusing. I've never seen the original, so I didn't know the premise of this series at all. For once, I was thankful when a character did an exposition dump. I still wasn't completely clear though. This is a dull and somewhat sleazy movie that's really not worth watching, except for one scene where a girl gets sucked into a tv and she's caught in the universe of the two movies she was watching. It's a really awesome scene.

18. Cabin Fever (2016): this is kind if a waste. I kept on expecting it to take a different direction from the original, but it never does. Not really sure what the point of remaking this was.

Watched (15: The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

19. The Others (2001): this was a pretty dull film for the most part. It was an interesting choice to do a haunted house movie with WW2 as the backdrop. Typically that era is ignored. The movie is dimly lit, but it really doesn't help build a great atmosphere. The third act was pretty good, but by that point I had seen the twist coming from a mile away.

20. The Unholy (1988): Priest vs Demon. Bad acting. Bad score. Good special effects. Move along.

21. Halloween 2 (2009): Full disclosure - I watched this on AMC, and their constant edits of language and violence really effects my enjoyment and attention in the movies. This seemed to be a pretty interesting take on the original H2. I like when remakes try to differentiate themselves from the original. I need to watch this in its real format at some point, but I'm leaning thumbs up for this one.

22. The Descent (2005): this is about a group of girls who go cave-diving, only to find out they're not alone down there. I thought this was decent, but I preferred the first half of this movie. I found the concept of being trapped in a cave to be scary enough.

Watched (22): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever, The Others, The Unholy, Halloween 2, The Descent

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

23. Class of 1984 (1982):well, this wasn't really a horror, but for some reason it's on the 80shorror.net YouTube playlist. This was a pretty entertaining exploitation pic about an idealistic teacher opposing his punk students. It's depiction of teen punks is hilarious, and this movie doesn't slow down for a second.

24. Hush (2016): a deaf woman is stalked by a killer in her remote home. I dug this one too. The use of sound was clever throughout, and the protagonist being such an underdog made her so easy to root for.

Watched (24): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever, The Others, The Unholy, Halloween 2, The Descent, class of 1984, Hush

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

25. Clownhouse (1989): dull movie about escaped lunatics dressed as clowns terrorizing kids. I went onto IMDb after and found out the director (Victor Salva) was molesting one of the kids, so gently caress this movie.

26. freakshow (1989): weird, forgotten anthology film. It starts out with a movie theatre massacre, which is somewhat disturbing after the events in Aurora. The shooting helps to make up the framing story, and there are four shorts in total. The first is about a junkie who has his fix stolen by a dog, the second is a pizza delivery boy who ends up delivering to a group of vampires, it's followed by a junkie who is mistaken for dead and undergoes her own autopsy, and the final segment is about a golf course murder and revenge from beyond the grave.

This was a pretty underwhelming film. When I was writing the synopses I was thinking that the concepts were much better than the execution. The second segment is particularly terrible. The first and fourth segments are okay. I did find the third segment to be quite well done.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this one, but if you are interested it is on YouTube. Apparently it's never been released on physical media.

Watched (26): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever, The Others, The Unholy, Halloween 2, The Descent, class of 1984, Hush, Clownhouse, Freakshow

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

27. Cujo (1983): this is a rewatch, but I haven't watched it in years. It was much better than I remembered it being. The acting is good, and the effects/make up jobs are phenomenal. The cinematography is quite good as well. Although the ending is changed from the book, there is a bit of ambiguity I enjoyed. If you haven't seen this one in a while, I recommend revisiting it.

28. It (1990): another Stephen King rewatch. This movie gave me nightmares for a month when it aired. The general sentiment on this is that the flashback sequences are good and the modern sequences are bad, and I'd agree with that sentiment. This is a movie that will benefit from a remake.

29. how to Make a Monster (1958): a pretty cheesy looking 50s monster movie, but I do give it credit for being an early self referential film and having a clever concept. A horror movie make-up artist, fearing for his job, transforms his actors into actual monsters to kill the higher ups.

Watched (29): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever, The Others, The Unholy, Halloween 2, The Descent, class of 1984, Hush, Clownhouse, Freakshow, Cujo, It, How to Make A Monster

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So I'm at like 33 movies and the rest are going to be stone-cold classics that I watch every year. Probably not worth writing about since so much has been said about them already.

Does anyone else watch the same 3 or 4 movies every Halloween? For me its Return of the Living Dead, An American Werewolf in London, The Fog, Halloween, and Halloween III.

On Halloween I always end up watching The Monster Squad, Trick 'R Treat, and The Shining.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

30. The Boy (2016): this one kind of came and went from the theatres earlier this year, and I didn't hear much about it. I rented it on a whim, and was pleasantly surprised. It's about a young woman who has been hired by an elderly couple to watchtower their son. The problem is, their son is a doll. Strange things begin to happen in the house, and it appears the doll is the culprit. This movie does a good job subverting our expectations for a scary doll movie. It's much more of a psychological thriller than I expected, as I was questioning whether or not the doll was actually haunted, and I can honestly say I didn't figure out the ending in advance. This is a good. Ivor, and I'd recommend checking it out.

31. I was a Teenage Werewolf: i'll finish things off with an AIP creature flick from the 50s. It has Michael Landon, as a young man with anger problems. He is of course, the titular Werewolf. I thought this was okay, and it was good to catch one of the more iconic 50s horror movies. The creature design is great in this.

And that's it for (mostly) new movie watching. It's only rewatches of classics from here on out.

My 2016 awards:

Scariest: the Descent (I'm claustrophobic)
Most fun: Chud 2 - Bud the Chud
Best: Black Sabbath
Worst: the Unholy
Most Underrated: Cujo

Watched (31): The Walking Dead, Most Likely to Die, Trick or Treats, Black Sabbath, The Pack, Emelie, Halloween H20, The Taking of Debra Logan, Ghoulies 3, CHUD 2, Waxwork, Bone Tomahawk, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, The Zodiac Killer, Horror Express, 976-Evil 2, cabin Fever, The Others, The Unholy, Halloween 2, The Descent, class of 1984, Hush, Clownhouse, Freakshow, Cujo, It, How to Make A Monster, The Boy, I Was a Teenage Werewolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Butch Cassidy posted:

58. V/H/S: I will never sit through this again. The editing is poo poo, over the top rough film look is a schtick that wears thin quickly, and it's too drat long. But the shorts are surprisingly good. This is definitely bac kground noise I would put on at a party with no children to be seen. It's worth a watch and the effects are actually really well done with surprisingly solid acting. Though I doubt I'll ever bother to care about the sequels.

59. Dog Soldiers: A classic and first rate werewolf movie as far as I'm concerned. "FUCKIN' COWWW!"

"If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya. Because we're firing blanks doesn't mean we have to be thinking nice thoughts."

You would find VHS2 has many of the same flaws, but the shorts are of a higher quality. Skip VHS Viral though.

• Locked thread