Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wilhelm Scream posted:

OCTOBER 17
BELLADONNA OF SADNESS (Dir. Eiichi Yamamoto) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
CONTAMINATION (Dir. Lewis Coates) - ONLY ON SHUDDER
THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS (Dir. Takashi Miike) ONLY ON SHUDDER
YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY (Dir. Sergio Martino) ONLY ON SHUDDER

I haven't seen most of the rest of this list (and what little I have seen out of the rest, like Boggy Creek, is kinda not good) but every one of these movies is well the gently caress worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

It plays out to me like a story where the problems with relationships are all on the woman. If Yamazaki was the kind and obedient woman that she presented herself as, then the "faultless" Aoyama would have been fine. There doesn't seem to be a moral condemnation of tricking a woman into a relationship; he may have deceived her but her deception was much worse. I feel like I'm getting contradictory messages from the film and that may just be do to the cultural context.

Nah, the movie's just trying to gently caress with your expectations. It tries to make you think Aoyama is the villain and Yamazaki is the heroine early on, and then does a total 180 on this by revealing Yamazaki's true colors.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

al-azad posted:

The kills are bloody if unimaginative with the highlight being a band saw decapitation with some genuinely great prop design.

Wait, that was the highlight for you? Not the dude getting his head smashed in the hydraulic press?

e: like, I do well with gore but that head-smash made me cringe like hell.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, yeah, Intruder is one of those movies where it's kind of generic, but it does the generic thing it's going for so well that I love it anyways. It's the John Wick of horror.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oct. 2 - Murder Party (2007, 1/31)

This was a pleasant surprise. Not too much of a surprise, given that I love Green Room and Blue Ruin, but still, better than I expected!

Jeremy Saulnier really has a way with gore. Somehow, even in an explicitly comedic movie, he shoots absolutely loving nauseating gore; the girl hitting her head towards the beginning, the guy getting shot in the head and slowly bleeding out from it, and Macon Blair getting his face burned off all made me cringe like hell. In spite of that, I was still laughing my rear end off at parts of the movie; the ending is incredible.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wreath of Barbs posted:

9. Belladonna of Sadness (1973)
Gorgeous animation and interesting visuals and :psypop: Go in blind.

(insert orgy here)
:psypop:/5

If you're able to articulate your feelings better than :psypop:, I'd be curious to hear it (though I totally understand if not).

mary had a little clam posted:

Is Belladonna of Sadness horror/thriller/spook-em-ups? I'd heard it was like fantasy or something.

It kind of defies genre, but it probably fits the most neatly in horror, provided "weird art films" don't count as their own; it's about witchcraft and Satan, so the subject matter certainly fits.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 7, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

drrockso20 posted:

2. Cybernetics Guardian: not quite a pure horror movie, this obscure 80's Anime OVA is a favorite of mine for looking good, having pretty decent animation, and having a really kickass soundtrack, sister thought it was okay, but complained about how it barely had anything truly horrifying about it beyond the violence

me: 4/5
sis: 2/5

Ever seen Genocyber? Same director and almost certainly more fitting for the challenge, your sister'll get a kick out of it if that was her complaint about Cybernetics Guardian. It's also on Youtube for free.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Class3KillStorm posted:

Some more films over the past couple of days.

33) Silver Bullet - Ugh, this was disappointing. The thinly sketched premise - "boy in a wheelchair battles a werewolf during an idyllic summer" - should be enough to make the whole thing work. Unfortunately, it remains just that thinly sketched the whole time. There were a couple of neat ideas here - namely that the werewolf process takes place over a few nights' span, so the bestial nature gets more and more pronounced by the full moon; and, being that the reverend is the werewolf, he imagines that he is doing a positive thing by killing people, citing a woman he "saved" from damnation by suicide by killing her himself. However, there's no building on these ideas, so they're basically announced in one or two scenes near the end and then not mentioned again. Also, while I normally can appreciate Gary Busey and Everett McGill and Corey Haim as camp curios, none of them have anything to do in this movie. I was completely bored the whole time; avoid unless you need white noise in the background. 1 out of 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8apsvGm80

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Butch Cassidy posted:

58. V/H/S: I will never sit through this again. The editing is poo poo, over the top rough film look is a schtick that wears thin quickly, and it's too drat long. But the shorts are surprisingly good. This is definitely bac kground noise I would put on at a party with no children to be seen. It's worth a watch and the effects are actually really well done with surprisingly solid acting. Though I doubt I'll ever bother to care about the sequels.

You should really check out 2. There's a short in it, Safe Haven, that's basically Doom by way of the guy who directed The Raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, there's just more you can do with Freddy, full stop. Jason is more of a force of nature than a character.

• Locked thread