Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShortLeroy posted:

Is it me or is Ben McKenzie now playing Gordon like the Clayface doppelganger?

The thought's crossed my mind -- McKenzie did that campy eyeflare thing in this episode that his version of Clayface was always doing.

You could read the bounty hunter characterization is a severe reaction to his breakup with Leslie, but it could also be what Clayface wants to do. That and going after Valerie -- on the rebound, or more of Clayface's womanizing?

That said, I'm not convinced, but I'm still thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

twistedmentat posted:

Is Fish Mooney the worst written and acted character in TV history? I swear I've never seen something to amateurish than her. Plus her henchmen see to be the kind of characters that you'd see in a bad 90s movie where they felt that cool was goth club wear.

God drat someone just put a bullet in her head.

I like how one of her goons is meth head Quicksilver.

I don't like Fish but she's not the worst written character. I don't really care about the actress. It just seems fairly clear to me that the writers really like her.

ShortLeroy posted:

So why did they recast Ivy to being much older than Bruce and Selina? I liked that little group of friends and how they'd each grow up to take a different path.

Is it me or is Ben McKenzie now playing Gordon like the Clayface doppelganger?

I haven't seen this weeks episode yet so forgive me if this has happened already. I've just assumed it was to give Jim another crazy woman to mess around with or something.

Also boobs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's just that Fish comes across in every scene as "look how loving cool I am!" in everything she does, and all the other characters are talking about how cool and awesome she is. It feels like a bad fanfiction with a self insert character.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Open Source Idiom posted:

The thought's crossed my mind -- McKenzie did that campy eyeflare thing in this episode that his version of Clayface was always doing.

You could read the bounty hunter characterization is a severe reaction to his breakup with Leslie, but it could also be what Clayface wants to do. That and going after Valerie -- on the rebound, or more of Clayface's womanizing?

That said, I'm not convinced, but I'm still thinking about it.

Jim and Leslie also lost a baby? so that might gently caress him up a bit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

twistedmentat posted:

It's just that Fish comes across in every scene as "look how loving cool I am!" in everything she does, and all the other characters are talking about how cool and awesome she is. It feels like a bad fanfiction with a self insert character.

Are they? I haven't noticed that. :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Really just jumping right in with the Mad Hatter.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

muscles like this? posted:

Really just jumping right in with the Mad Hatter.

Mad Hatter is really perfect for this world though.

So far a great depiction of him. Granted, my only other two points of reference are Adam West batman with the popup hat of doom and Batman TAS who was basically a pedo.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I know where my vote's going.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lee, what the gently caress are you into?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Gotham season 3: Make Gotham Safe Again

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Gotham season 3: Make Gotham Safe Again

Methinks you've overthought it.

Gotham Season 3: Make Gotham Great Again!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I didn't over think. Make Gotham Safe Again is the slogan on Penguin's posters and buttons.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Haha man when Penguin pops out of the car going yooo whaddupp was awesome

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oswald is going to play this stinking city like a harp from Hell.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Crazy Barbara is everything that I feel Fish is supposed to be but it comes across better than anything Fish ever did on this show

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Aces High posted:

Crazy Barbara is everything that I feel Fish is supposed to be but it comes across better than anything Fish ever did on this show

I would be happier without either of them, but Crazybarb isn't terrible this season, probably because she's had less screentime so far.

I really hoped Fish was dead. I can only assume one of the writers has a Jada Pinkett Smith shrine at home he or she isn't telling anyone about. On a show that prides itself on jumping the shark at least two or three times an episode, she's the absolute worst thing on it, and I can't think of any other reason she would still be there. Unless there's some weird contractual thing the network can't get out of or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you saw her appearance on the Daily Show, you would know that this thread's opinion is in the minority about the character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would be happier without either of them, but Crazybarb isn't terrible this season, probably because she's had less screentime so far.

I really hoped Fish was dead. I can only assume one of the writers has a Jada Pinkett Smith shrine at home he or she isn't telling anyone about. On a show that prides itself on jumping the shark at least two or three times an episode, she's the absolute worst thing on it, and I can't think of any other reason she would still be there. Unless there's some weird contractual thing the network can't get out of or something.

Will Smith Clause: section 13c. The wife.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gonz posted:

Oswald is going to play this stinking city like a harp from Hell.

This needs love.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the rest of the season is just the riddler and penguin broing out.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Yeet posted:

Haha man when Penguin pops out of the car going yooo whaddupp was awesome

Someone with giffing skills please turn this into one.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Blackchamber posted:

This needs love.

The inaccuracy of being able to scratch on a CD (DJ-style) notwithstanding, I just love how 1) Bruce "The Batman" Wayne would do this just for kicks, and 2) his commitment to branding. I mean, there's no reason to put a Batman logo on his CD player.

But Batman did it because Batman cares about the brand.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bull3964 posted:

If you saw her appearance on the Daily Show, you would know that this thread's opinion is in the minority about the character.

I don't watch the daily show but how's that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JetsGuy posted:

I don't watch the daily show but how's that?

She got huge cheers when Trevor mentioned her role on Gotham and he pretty much gushed over it too. I think she even mentioned the character was brought back due to popularity.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Despite this having two of my least favorite things ever, the obviously evil clone and the Hypnotist that can hypnotize everyone instantly, i enjoyed this.

Though are they saying Keene instead of Kane now?

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

bull3964 posted:

She got huge cheers when Trevor mentioned her role on Gotham and he pretty much gushed over it too. I think she even mentioned the character was brought back due to popularity.

Everyone i know irl who watches this show loves Fish, the negativity here is just expected i guess.

:shrug:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Blackchamber posted:

This needs love.

You reminded me that Penguin running for mayor was a Batman Returns thing. Before that I was thinking that Penguin running for mayor with Riddler as his campaign manager sounded like more of a 60s Batman thing.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Penguin's tan. They're certainly not being subtle on this are they?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm glad Penguin fixed his terrible haircut. It was just so gross and greasy.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
This is a pretty drat hosed up version of the Mad Hatter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think clone Bruce is the one who grows up to be Batman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's probably going to be the TV show version of Talon, aka the Court of Owls' Batman.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Penguin and Joker legit need to gently caress. So much tension!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jfood posted:

DC probably won't ever let it get beyond subtext, but I love that the show is clearly leaning into that.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

jfood posted:

I hate it when shows use love triangles. Penguin and Riddler OTP.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bull3964 posted:

The Daily Show audience is hardly a good cross section of the audience. Unless the targeted audience is smug college kids.

But if she was truly brought back "due to popularity" that's just surprising to me. Because she's a bad character. I don't have Reddit rage about her or anything I just find her completely uninteresting.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

jfood posted:

Penguin and [Riddler] legit need to gently caress. So much tension!
I loved how when Oswald guessed the answer to the riddle, Butch was in the back rolling his eyes like "just get a room already, you two"

(Can any of you gif-wizards make one of that scene?)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Gotham continues to be at its best when it just gives in and embraces comic book style absurdity.

Poor Butch. He just wanted sempai to notice him again. :(

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Totally thought Penguin was going to kiss Riddler there by the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Luvcow posted:

Totally thought Penguin was going to kiss Riddler there by the fire

I came here to post this.

I believe the writers, directors, and/or producers are loving with us. Earlier in the episode, right before the commercial break, there's a scene at the club where Penguin is holding Nigma's head and petting his hair, elated that he's still alive. It was framed like pretty much every single romantic rescue scene ever. I went back and paused it right at that moment, and my wife and I looked at each other--she said there'd be some gay memes tomorrow, and I agreed. But that scene by the fire? They definitely did that on purpose. I was convinced that Penguin was about to plant one right those tight, thin riddlelips.

• Locked thread