Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:siren: New thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3839947 :siren:

Hello there friends and welcome to Battlerite, a top-down multiplayer brawler by Stunlock Studios. This is the spiritual successor/remake of Bloodline Champions. We’ve reached the Early Access stage of this game’s life, where you can spend $20 for the honor of playing the sort of open beta of the game.

Steam page is here.
Official Twitter is here.
Official Facebook is here.
New! Unofficial stat tracking is here.

Gameplay
Matches in Battlerite are broken down into best-out-of-5 where two teams of players clash in a last-man standing battle royale. There are two main versions of this, 2v2 or 3v3. You move your characters with WASD movement, aim with your mouse, and use some combination of keyboard keys and mouse buttons to case your spells. Your “shift key” will also add additional variation to your abilities. More on that later.

Each character--a champion—has their own unique abilities, with all but two abilities available as soon as the match starts. If you can survive long enough, you can unlock your character’s ultimate ability, as well as a middle-ground ability called “EX.” These spells are unlocked after successful attacks or using your other abilities. If you fall in the middle of the fight, your teammate can pick up his energy and get a quick boost. The game also enters a brief slow-motion mode each time a player dies for people to adjust and react.
This is, at its core, a competitive game and caters to the try hards of the internet. Matches can last anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes, which also lets you play a quick round or two before having to go to your real job because let’s face it, you’re not going to be a pro-gamer anytime soon. In addition to this, Battlerite has no random elements, meaning that damage is based entirely on factors like distance, how many successful hits were made, etc.

You may be asking “yeah but what is a Battlerite? Is that a weird Swedish bastardization of God’s chosen language, Chichewa?” No my friend, Battlerites are a central mechanic to the game. At the start of each round each player is presented with choices on a Battlerite, which gives them a small passive bonus to a certain spell or ability in some way. Each champion a player uses always has the same Battlerites appear at the same time during a match.
Littered throughout the arena are orbs that either heal you, or grow your EX ability bar. Green orbs are, well, green so they obviously heal you. Orange orbs provide you with energy that let you use your EX abilities.

Right smack dab in the middle of the map is the Orb of Destiny (name pending because we really don’t know what to call it). At intervals during a round, you’ll see a grey orb appear and destroying it gives the team who score the last hit a quick health regens OR a boost to their EX meter. You can tell which bonus the Orb of Destiny will give you by the counter on the outer portion of the circle. Green is for health, blue is for the EX meter.

Also if a match is dragging on, the arena size will gradually shrink forcing you into closer range you’re your opponents. This is indicated by a giant red circle closing in on the center of the arena. If you stay outside of that circle, you take a lot of damage. So this is a piece of pro-gaming advice: don’t do that.
Oh and finally, you have a mount. These are speedy little beasts that help you move around but attacking while mounted dismisses them. You have two variants, a boring Ram, and the mighty and noble Wulbear.

Arenas
Currently there are only 3 arenas, each with a day & night variant, making for 6 total maps. They’re all mostly the same in design but have some minor changes in the sort of markers around the arena that can provide cover. For the most part, you’ll be less focused on the arena and more on the dudes lobbing weapons and spells at you.

Mount Araz – Featuring not one but TWO giant skulls of some Ram-like beast.
Heart of the Forest – If the name didn’t give it away, this map is a forest themed map full of trees.
Sky Ring – This is an aerial arena that I guess is in the sky? It’s hard to tell with the stands, pillars, and dudes trying to kill you.

Other Features
Private Matchmaking – Don’t want to deal with the pubbies that play this game but want to brawl against your favorite Goons? Well you can in this game.
Replay Editor – The game records your most recent matches and even features a basic editor to let you make highlights and post them to your page in-game. Or you could just use Fraps or whatever and use a real editor. Either way works to be honest.
Dailies – You’ll get daily match objectives, like “Play a Support for 4 games” etc. and given rewards like a new in-game avatar that rarely ever is seen.
Cosmetics – Each champion gets an array of both costume and weapon cosmetics you can unlock. You’ll need to get enough of the green tokens to buy one though and each item costs a lot.
Champion Leveling – You can unlock items such as silver and gold chests, as well as a hero avatar for your profile, battle coins, and tokens.

Chests
The devs have adopted a variant of the chest system you may have seen in CSGO, Overwatch, etc. however in Battlerite there are two types of chests offering different rarity in items. They are the silver & gold chests. Silver chests you earn doing your dailies or unlocking levels on your champion. Gold chests can only be bought with Battle Coins which you get for leveling your hero at certain points, and by winning matches.

Presently the cosmetics for the champions are also less than amazing and you may just be better off saving up your in-game money for the new champions expected to come out.

Pricing
Battlerite will be free to play following it’s time in Early access, however not every champion will be available to a free player.

If you buy into the game during it’s Early Access run, you get access to the 14 champions (marked below in the Champions section) that are in the current build. Afterwards you get every champion for free without grinding. Where as if you don’t get into the game during EA you have to grind for the champions you want to play as.

So far Stunlock haven’t said anything about what the in-game pricing will be like or if you’ll be given the option to buy the champions with real life money like in League of Legends, Smite, or whatever other game uses that sort of cash grab method.

Playing With Goons
If you want to play the game with some of your fellow Goons feel free to use the #battlerite channel on the SA Games discord found here: https://discord.gg/gRX76tt
Instructions to set it up can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787504

There is also a google Docs spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tZHoUpva9Y84iAdZOQiSA18qvmEFNgJ4EimEzU2uHA/edit#gid=0
Keep funny business (including editing other people's stuff) to the meme column.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Champions

Below are the champions that are currently playable. Additional champions will be released periodically. Further details are unknown.

For more information check out the Battlerite Wiki - http://battlerite.gamepedia.com/

Melee damage

Bakko: Hero of Boulder Pass
Bringing the utmost defense, Bakko is a supreme absorber and reflector of damage. Bakko supports his teammate by disrupting enemy attacks and chasing down stragglers. Consider playing Bakko if you like causing general mayhem and totally disrupting your opponents.

Croak: The Ranid Assassin
Croak boasts supreme mobility, partly in thanks to his stealth ability. He employs a blend of ranged and melee attacks, and is good for those who like to play a hit-and-run kind of character.

Freya: Eye of the Storm
Freya provides great, consistent damage. She is mobile, and gains the most from her abilities when she jumps into the fray. Good for those who like to rush headlong into battle!

Rook: The Hungering Berserker
Rook is a good, but slow, brawler type of champion. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in devastating armor breaking attacks and powerful strikes to follow up.

He's not on the official page, yet
Ruh Kaan: The Crypt Warden
Ruh Kaan is a spooky melee champion, capable of unleashing loads of damage and occasionally leeching life. While he is more ponderous than many champions, woe unto any who fall into his grasp.

Shifu: The Spear
Shifu is characterized by fast melee attacks with a light dip into defensive power and mobility. This is a good choice for those who would like to play a balanced champion.

Ranged damage

Ashka: The Molten Fury
Capable of raining relentless damage from afar, Ashka makes use of highly damaging fire magic. He is mobile enough to escape imminent danger. Ashka is great in the hands of an accurate player who knows how to keep his distance.

Iva: The Scavenging Inventor

Brannock posted:

Engineer is fantastic, it's literally a complete gimmick hero. Every single ability is a gimmick and it's amazing. I have a tool for every situation!

Rook going berserker? Concussive shot! Ashka channeling really far away? Tractor beam! My healer going ham? Zap! Triple oiled enemy team? Flamethrower! Croak or Jade spamming abilities without watching for counters? Tazer!

Jade: The Lone Gunner
Truly a sniper, Jade is capable of the longest-range combat in the game. She utilizes her stealth to escape from sticky situations, as well as masking her tactical intentions. If you like to utilize patience and discretion, then making a frantic escape, Jade might be for you.

He's not on the official page, yet
Jumong: The Beast Hunter
Jumong blends swift movement with a variety of attacks and tricks to outmaneuver his opponents. A well-played Jumong is difficult to catch, and difficult to escape.

Taya: The Wind Of The West
Taya is a swift combatant who makes clever use of boomerangs and wind magic. She is good for players who want to be quick, but not quietly about it.

Varesh: The Inhibitor
Varesh is a ranged damage dealer capable of punishing enemies for being too aggressive. He is good for players who enjoy playing mind games when they engage in a fight.

Support

Lucie: The Expelled Alchemist
Providing the most "traditional" support, Lucie offers many defensive boons to her team while also providing some offensive assistance when needed. If you think friendship (and a little poison) can triumph over all, you should give Lucie a try.

Oldur: The Time Mender
Oldur is a support champion who is capable of deflecting aggressive attacks and punishing overextension. If you want to support but want to focus on a more defensive playstyle, oldur might be for you!

Pearl: The Ocean Sage
Pearl is a very powerful healer, who has strong defensive capabilities. She is good for players looking to keep their allies in the fight longer than most.

Poloma: The Psychopomp
Poloma's abilities meld damage and healing together in many of her attacks. She is acutely capable of punishing enemies for lingering too close to each other and her allies, playing a more disruptive role among her support peers. If you like giving your ally some extra breathing room, try out Poloma.

Sirius: The Zenith
Offering a blend of damage and support, Sirius is a versatile champion, offering some damage, along with considerable defensive abilities. If you are good at snap judgement and playing flexibly, you might like Sirius.

Upcoming Tournaments & Other Events

Minrad posted:

https://www.battlerite.com/newera/

Well I'll be damned.

September

Season 5, the last EA season, begins.

Free week starting this weekend

The Halloween event returns for 5 weeks, more new weapons, 4 legendary outfits, a bunch of other cosmetic stuff.

October

The new UI 2.0 launches

Battlerites are getting a significant overhaul. All Battlerites will be active from the start of the match. You can "build your loadout" before the game and presumably change your battlerites at some point before a match starts.

New game mode, TBA.

November 8th

Free to play launch.

New champion.

200 new cosmetics.

7 new songs added to the game, including arena intro themes.

Season 1 begins.

Implementation of an AFK detection/punishment system

Later in November

Another new champion, possibly a Metal Warden port?

A "prehistoric" themed event with a bunch of dinosaur and caveman inspired cosmetic rewards.

December

Another new champion?!

Return of the winter event

2018 roadmap

A tournament system

New HUD

Clan system

3x new champions in Winter 2018

New modes, maps, and brawls.

Lunar new year event

Xbox launch

:vince:

Media & Other Stuff

Varesh Ultimate - http://giant.gfycat.com/PointedSillyChick.mp4

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 22, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

First Of Many Posts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You didn't name the thread "the best isometric team-based fighting game on the market"

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Same, games good play it

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

greetings, fellow gamers

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Thanks again to Unfunny Poster for his fresh OP.

Prior to the Masters of Bacon tournament (which you can donate 3 euros or more to for a unique Battlerite Avatar), there's also a super-casual (no prize) 2v2 tournament happening on Friday called Ultiduo:

quote:

North America & Asia: https://battlefy.com/battlerite-ultiduo/ultiduo-i/57dff4fc542365120c314649/info Friday 23rd 7PM Pacific Summer Time

Europe: https://battlefy.com/battlerite-ultiduo/ultiduo-i-europe/57e0001eec16fe2b0c519081/info Saturday 24th 12:00 PM Central European Summer Time

IT'S A 2v2 SLUGFEST! FEATURING

NO PRIZES!
ONLY 4 DAYS OF BETA TO PRACTICE!
ONLY ONE CASTER! (plz call me if you want to cast plz?)

Perfect for practising for the Masters of Bacon tournement the day after! Except that's a 3v3 and this is 2v2... hm. Maybe not! BUT ANYWAY!

WHO WILL WIN? NO-ONE KNOWS BECAUSE NOBODY'S PLAYED!

I'm probably gonna sign up.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Dang I'd be interested in playing that, anyone need a partner?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So there wont be any champs added beyond what was in the beta?

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So there wont be any champs added beyond what was in the beta?

Incorrect. There are confirmed new champs coming (they dropped a teaser trailer for one today) and they've said they will be making new ones even after intial release.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTyLkYtMAgc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ruzihm posted:

Thanks again to Unfunny Poster for his fresh OP.

Prior to the Masters of Bacon tournament (which you can donate 3 euros or more to for a unique Battlerite Avatar), there's also a super-casual (no prize) 2v2 tournament happening on Friday called Ultiduo:

I'm probably gonna sign up.

does that guy actually need a co-commentator because i might be interested

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Lirik streaming Battlerite with 25k viewers, behind only Twitch king imaqtpie. That's pretty cool.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm going to spend $20 on this free to play game, which is more than I've ever spent on any other game, period. Battlerite owns and you should play it and give Stunlock your money, it really deserves to succeed.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This is a very well thought out game that I hope catches on. I enjoyed my time with the beta and cant wait for it to come out on early access in a few days.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Countblanc posted:

does that guy actually need a co-commentator because i might be interested

Apparently, yes! Here's the post where I first heard of it. If you have a reddit account you can pm him.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleRite/comments/53i3y2/ultiduo_a_2v2_tournament_for_all_regions/

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Rafza posted:

Dang I'd be interested in playing that, anyone need a partner?

I need one! I'm on Battlefy as Ruzihm. We need a team name.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ruzihm posted:

I need one! I'm on Battlefy as Ruzihm. We need a team name.

Let me get home from work and ill pm you!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Meat's back on the menu

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
How exactly does max HP reduction work?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Brannock posted:

How exactly does max HP reduction work?

Only a certain part of your damage is "healable". It's either a flat amount across all champions, or maybe based on something like their base max hp. Once your current missing hp exceeds that "healable" amount, your current max hp is lowered to make it equal.

You can raise your max hp back up to base levels (slowly) by picking up orbs and mid. I don't think you need to be at (current) full hp for that to happen, but you might be.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This new Dota has the gaming community on lit.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Check out my white hot play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaG_UWTKwzI

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Ruzihm posted:

Only a certain part of your damage is "healable". It's either a flat amount across all champions, or maybe based on something like their base max hp. Once your current missing hp exceeds that "healable" amount, your current max hp is lowered to make it equal.

You can raise your max hp back up to base levels (slowly) by picking up orbs and mid. I don't think you need to be at (current) full hp for that to happen, but you might be.

I tested it during the first closed beta. Once you go past 40 missing hp it starts cutting into your max hp. Orbs raise your max hp by half the amount they heal whether you're already topped off or not, up to your base max hp. So little orbs heal for 12 and raise max hp by 6, the center orb heals for 20 and raises max hp by 10.

So in a matchup where there's a ton of healing going around, you need to burst for more than 40 to permanently dent someone. Also means useful healing in a short time period is 40 unless you're actively taking damage, and if you let a team with a healer disengage you're letting them heal 40 apiece.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I was a Glutton main in BLC by a huge margin. I only caught a bit of the stream and am actually a bit hesitant on the Rook rework. Why does he push instead of pull on M2? What sort of self-respecting berserker wants to shove folks away?

Pretty happy that MEAT BOLT stayed in, though, and the ult looks graphically so much better than before. Anyone have a full rundown of Rook's skills? In particular, what his non MEAT BOLT EX is?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

hito posted:

I was a Glutton main in BLC by a huge margin. I only caught a bit of the stream and am actually a bit hesitant on the Rook rework. Why does he push instead of pull on M2? What sort of self-respecting berserker wants to shove folks away?

Just speculating, but it might do something if you knock them into a wall. Even if not, it can be useful to push away the enemy dps while you go ham on the healer.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ruzihm posted:

Just speculating, but it might do something if you knock them into a wall. Even if not, it can be useful to push away the enemy dps while you go ham on the healer.

i pm'd you

the wait...its killing me...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

To build upon this, go here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/504370/ and report the MOBA tag as incorrect. If it garners enough reports Steam will remove it as a tag.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Is this actually good? I felt like I've played a lot of disappointing f2p games recently and I like the look of this. I remember playing BLC a lil bit when it came out, and I felt like it fell short of it's potential, mostly because the heroes all felt a little too samey.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Dracula Factory posted:

Is this actually good? I felt like I've played a lot of disappointing f2p games recently and I like the look of this. I remember playing BLC a lil bit when it came out, and I felt like it fell short of it's potential, mostly because the heroes all felt a little too samey.

I played a fair amount during the beta, game is great. Every hero feels unique (although I seemed to only see the same 8 or so heroes every game) and I think they are adding more. I'd honestly get it now during early access because you get all heroes on launch and any future heroes which is a great deal imo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The heroes aren't any more diverse than they were in BLC if that's your main worry, but I didn't really think they were particularly similar in the first place.

Could you expand on your issue a bit? A friend of mine said his big problem with BLC was that the heroes' abilities didn't feel powerful, which is sorta similar to what you're talking about. Specifically he meant that, since there was no mana to manage and you simply had cooldowns the skills had to be tuned to do less damage and be less disruptive than if they ran on a limited resource. Obviously there were EX skills but I think most people who only dipped their toes into BLC didn't really use those that much (and they were often esoteric or not worth it compared to ulting for some bloodlines). If that sounds like what you were feeling, it's been at least partially addressed in Battlerite; One of your skills now requires meter by default and is balanced appropriately, and cooldowns often feel a bit longer, meaning the skills are often higher impact.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most of the kits are overly similar. Generally speaking, left click is either a chargeup or debuff loading skill, right click is a longer ranged skill that interacts with the buff/debuff, Q is a counter, E is a some form of control, space is a dash, R is survival/CC, and F is either an AOE that poops on people if they don't get out or a channeled skill that has to be interrupted.

The kits are actually probably more samey than BLC.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Dracula Factory posted:

its much the same as blc. will it be as disappointing? probably because there doesn't seem to be a large pool of players. it will likely be good for the first three months though

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Most of the kits are overly similar. Generally speaking, left click is either a chargeup or debuff loading skill, right click is a longer ranged skill that interacts with the buff/debuff, Q is a counter, E is a some form of control, space is a dash, R is survival/CC, and F is either an AOE that poops on people if they don't get out or a channeled skill that has to be interrupted.

The kits are actually probably more samey than BLC.

It was this exact thing that kinda turned me off about BLC, with every character having a somewhat similar move bound to the same keys. I also remember every hit feeling weak as hell, so maybe I'll like it more if there's some more lethality. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. My memory is foggy and I remember playing and winning as some tree guy who just could never ever die.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Thorn was definitely a noobstomp character, so if you were new and playing against new players you were probably having a lot of success with Thorn. Healing in general is much weaker in this game since (a) it cannot be spammed, and (b) fewer non-healers have ways to heal themselves short of specific battlerite choices (which means leaving damage/control on the table).

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Its intentional, and its how a lot of other spell based games do it. It makes sense to have a movement spell on the same key on every hero.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I suspect that the first batch of heroes were the easiest ones to design. We'll probably see more mechanically differentiated heroes from hereon.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

All of the heroes are the heroes from bloodlines champions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

strong bird posted:

All of the heroes are the heroes from bloodlines champions.

Pearl isn't but otherwise yeah. I mean heroes like Oldum and Freya are p different from their old versions but then you get ones like Ashka and well

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

when i was first trying out a lot of different heroes i wondered how distinct they would all feel because they all have a lot of abilities and some are same-ish to other abilities. i think every hero has enough abilities to make them feel unique, its just important that their unique abilities are actually worth using.

between the three heroes i played the most (varesh, taya, jade) they all felt super different to play. i tried askha and iva a bit as well, they also felt pretty different compared to the other three but if you just mash your hands on the keyboard i can see how it might not seem that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I do remember it taking frustratingly long to kill people, so if there's less healing, that's a good thing. Also BLC "felt" bad to me, as in the attacks and animations and visual style, and this game seems much better in that area so I hope ill enjoy it.

• Locked thread