Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
just got my first draw, it was me Rook ulting a Varesh and he threw a projectile that killed me at the same second the last drop on my ult killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Rook, this guy seems really good. Like, REALLY good. so far the only teams that have given me any trouble were a varesh and sirius team (that stomped me and a pearl) and a poloma and freya (who we beat at 5 rounds). if you can land your rush its just a huge chunk of damage you can take for free and then stay in the fight since you already have the damage lead. I got placed at 2400 and have won every game except for two and am now at 2900. Maybe its just the 2k-3k bracket is really bad? Im not sure what's the average or whatnot in this game if there even is one yet

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
This game looks really good. How is the match making system?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

Speaking of Rook, this guy seems really good. Like, REALLY good. so far the only teams that have given me any trouble were a varesh and sirius team (that stomped me and a pearl) and a poloma and freya (who we beat at 5 rounds). if you can land your rush its just a huge chunk of damage you can take for free and then stay in the fight since you already have the damage lead. I got placed at 2400 and have won every game except for two and am now at 2900. Maybe its just the 2k-3k bracket is really bad? Im not sure what's the average or whatnot in this game if there even is one yet

Rushes stop being free once people start anticipating them and countering with trances and cc but most players tend to just hammer skills as they come off cooldown.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sirius seems like a good counter to Rook, I've been having a hell of a time avoiding his petrify.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Matchmaking still has some rough edges but I've played very few games that were total one-sided stomps so it's functional. They had some server issues on launch but it seems to have been ironed out.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Usenet Magic-User posted:

its pretty good. was broken at the start of the early access because it was getting hammered but it seems to have smoothed out. I've been in and out of matches all day

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Sounds good I'll pick this up. I'm really a fan of the 2v2 system.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

3v3s are both more fun and also have a lot more options comp-wise imo. I think that 3v3s have a smaller playerbase though so that's why they swapped to 2v2s primarily in battlerite (vs 3v3 in bloodline champions)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

GreyPowerVan posted:

3v3s are both more fun and also have a lot more options comp-wise imo. I think that 3v3s have a smaller playerbase though so that's why they swapped to 2v2s primarily in battlerite (vs 3v3 in bloodline champions)

3v3 can be overwhelming when you're new to the game. Feels like they're SLS isn't set on a primary game mode so we might see them balance 2v2 and 3v3 seperately.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

GreyPowerVan posted:

I think the main competitive mode should definitely be 3v3 since it requires more strategy and teamwork but I think as a sort of main mode it isn't all that great unless you are queued with a friend or two simply because of how fast paced the game is

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
3vs3 overwhelms my poor brain easily. 2vs2 is where it's at.

Also my main man croak dominates 2vs2...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

croak is perfectly good in 3v3s too

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
17-5 tonight as Rook, going from 2400 to 3100. This guy is great

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
My only complaint about this game is that all the champions are fun and cool and I can't stick to a main :saddowns:

Edit: Australian servers just went up!

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Sep 21, 2016

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
We need more goons in the discord so I can find someone that is better than solo queuing

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I loved BLC and played it from day 1 beta to the bitter end. Definitely buying this Friday.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i think 2s are super easy to understand but a lot of heroes are really easy to play in 2s or feel really useless in 2s while in 3s it feels like more heroes have a place

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Arzachel posted:

My only complaint about this game is that all the champions are fun and cool and I can't stick to a main :saddowns:

Edit: Australian servers just went up!

you should pick probably 3 / 4 characters to get really, really good at, and have at least passing familiarity with the rest of them

Brannock posted:

I got that once tonight but the HP bar was enough, really

The game needs a heavy polish and bugfix pass

i think it triggers when the orb spawn animation is loading in, and you hit it with a knockback attack, it'll freeze the animation (so if you hit it directly on spawn, you have an invisible orb. i can get it to go invisible with almost 100% certainty on ashka with his right click

anyone else playing in the 2s tournament this weekend? looking to set up some scrims

FUKKEN
Dec 27, 2007
PROTIP: To defeat the Cyberdemon, shoot at it until it dies.
Add me on Battlerite and I might be up for things. I'm Euro, though.

FUKKEN fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 2, 2017

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Are the right click normal attacks considered an "ability" in this game? I tried to bate out Psychopomp's panic, and I'd still eat it every single time despite not using my abilities.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, everything's an ability. The thing to do if you get hit by Pomp's panic or Jade's spell block is not press any buttons (aside from movement) for a second, since that's preferable to being prevented from pressing buttons for even longer.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

96 spacejam posted:

Anyone have some tips for a solo player? I haven't won a single round queuing solo so I'm sure I'll get the bottom tier once I finish placements.I think it's a mix of me not being great and getting just awful teammates. If I go support I get a balls to the wall dps teammate. If I go dps I get a support who wants to run around on their own dpsing.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spvcejam if anyone solo wants to group and attempt to place higher.

You should also try generally being positive in game team chat. Most solo people I played with are responsive to strategy if you put it the right way: "focus this guy," "try to stay closer for heals," "etc."

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Megasabin posted:

Are the right click normal attacks considered an "ability" in this game? I tried to bate out Psychopomp's panic, and I'd still eat it every single time despite not using my abilities.

Even lift click normal attacks are too. Often times it is best not to press anything if a pomp is next to you until she uses it or she doesn't see you.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Ruzihm posted:

Even lift click normal attacks are too. Often times it is best not to press anything if a pomp is next to you until she uses it or she doesn't see you.

Yea, woops. I meant left click.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i've already grouped with a few goons that are extremely salty for no reason. some people are still figuring out the characters, getting mad over mmr loss or poor positioning when people are learning the game, in early access, on the first day even, is mega weird

chill, learn the game and have fun

i'll have vids up of the few inhouses that we did last night, featuring really hype moments like askha ulting into sudden death for a loss :shobon:

e: also if you're doing the 2s tournament this weekend PM me for some scrims, either here or on discord, thanks

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 21, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rafza posted:

i'll have vids up of the few inhouses that we did last night, featuring really hype moments like askha ulting into sudden death for a loss :shobon:

I was there.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

man he had like 10 health it was super embarassing

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Win big or go home.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I wish I could play in this super casual tournament but I have plans.

This game is super fun. Especially after I found BLC far too late when no one played.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im rank 12 now, its super easy to just win games as varesh in 2s even if you're solo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

im rank 12 now, its super easy to just win games as varesh in 2s even if you're solo

Please don't rank shame :smith:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
idk how much rank means. I'm 11 (barely played during beta) and completely shitstomped a 13 last night while trying to learn Rook. maybe Rook shits on Varesh, maybe that guy was drunk, maybe I just haven't hit my True Resting MMR yet, but I know back in blc I rarely was able to punch above my weight.

what's the highest rank in this? 15?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Please don't rank shame :smith:

all ranks are beautiful :buddy:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ranks seem pretty random atm. It really depends on your placement matches but since its still early on, the ranks are kind of in flux so you'll find low ranks who kick rear end, and high ranks who suck.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the ranks aren't indicative of skill because someone might be trying out a different hero than the one they won the majority of their games on. the rank gain/loss is a lot more dramatic the fewer games you've played and i saw +80, +50, stuff like that and now ill maybe get 30 at most now that the system has more confidence in that placement.

Countblanc posted:

maybe Rook shits on Varesh, maybe that guy was drunk, maybe I just haven't hit my True Resting MMR yet, but I know back in blc I rarely was able to punch above my weight.

i think varesh is one of the few heroes that rook really has the potential to push around because hes pretty immobile and doesn't have a fear. varesh telegraphs his damage pretty obviously so rook can easily enrage off him as well. in general rook seems pretty bad but i haven't played him yet.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical posted:

the ranks aren't indicative of skill because someone might be trying out a different hero than the one they won the majority of their games on. the rank gain/loss is a lot more dramatic the fewer games you've played and i saw +80, +50, stuff like that and now ill maybe get 30 at most now that the system has more confidence in that placement.

I mostly get +15 when I win.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Radical posted:

i think varesh is one of the few heroes that rook really has the potential to push around because hes pretty immobile and doesn't have a fear. varesh telegraphs his damage pretty obviously so rook can easily enrage off him as well. in general rook seems pretty bad but i haven't played him yet.

most of the rook enemies i went up against last night had the extremely bad habit of charging in, allowing me to chain stun their support and blow them up in the process

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

milkman dad posted:

You should also try generally being positive in game team chat. Most solo people I played with are responsive to strategy if you put it the right way: "focus this guy," "try to stay closer for heals," "etc."

I do, but last night it didn't seem like many people had /enablechat yet. I got like one person responding to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
After playing a few hours of him last night Rook seems to live and die based on your team properly tunneling the person without an out. If you can Rush someone whose trance is down, deal some M1 damage and then either sit on them (you can't do this unless they're bad or like, idk, Alchemist) or Smash them out of the fight as your team switches you're gonna do ok. But if the other team has enough outs or simply isn't forced to use them by your ranged DPS then it's gonna be rough. Rush is basically the worst engage ever unless you know you can completely poo poo on someone, you really want to play corners and try to bait people out + control space with your E, then Rush to peel/tunnel.

• Locked thread