Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rafza posted:

most of the rook enemies i went up against last night had the extremely bad habit of charging in, allowing me to chain stun their support and blow them up in the process

Yeah basically. It's hard to resist the urge to Rush, M1 3-4 times, then trance like you're Mr. Barry Battlerite, Ladder God since it just works sometimes and the payoff is immense, but when it doesn't work you've basically lost the game if your opponent is at all competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

96 spacejam posted:

I do, but last night it didn't seem like many people had /enablechat yet. I got like one person responding to me.

I didn't realize it was disabled by default since the beta.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Countblanc posted:

Yeah basically. It's hard to resist the urge to Rush, M1 3-4 times, then trance like you're Mr. Barry Battlerite, Ladder God since it just works sometimes and the payoff is immense, but when it doesn't work you've basically lost the game if your opponent is at all competent.

im not above admitting that it worked on me more than a handful of times before i started to play around it

there is something inherently frightening about him just clowning all over your poo poo that makes you forget how to play in the beginning

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I had a single game last night where I wasn't chatting it up with my teammate, but it seems like personal mileage varies in that case

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't think I had a single game last night where I wasn't chatting it up with my teammate, but it seems like personal mileage varies in that case

I've really only played in stacks with other comp teammates of mine over voice so I don't really chat in game that often, but I'll always talk to the other team if they talk first or if they have a funny name. Someone got sassy with me and accused me of BMing them by not killing them when they gave up and AFK'd in a definitely-winnable 2v1 though so I just laughed at them. It's me I'm the toxic gamer.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

its super hard to actually get a handle on how strong some of the heroes are because their ex abilities/r ability might have a lot of their power budget and no one ever uses those because the energy bar's readability isn't great so people just know when they have ult because of the voice callout. ive seen rook so many times since he got added and ive seen him use meat bolt like, once? and maybe ive seen him use ex lmb once or twice? not too sure. in general i just dont see many ex abilities come out, and i feel like a lot of the heroes that seem really strong right now have very situational ex skills that you wouldn't need to use very often to be effective.

playing taya a lot in 3s last night for instance (she owns in 3s) and her ex rmb is actually disgusting, 16 on the way out and 24 in with a .7 stun and no damage fall off like her lmb (you can throw both of these out at the same time even.) there were a couple times i got a wind bomb on 2-3 people and following up with lmb ex rmb and you basically ravage their entire team, the damage output is disgusting.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I've really only played in stacks with other comp teammates of mine over voice so I don't really chat in game that often, but I'll always talk to the other team if they talk first or if they have a funny name. Someone got sassy with me and accused me of BMing them by not killing them when they gave up and AFK'd in a definitely-winnable 2v1 though so I just laughed at them. It's me I'm the toxic gamer.

So why not just kill him and move on?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I use EX1 on Rook liberally in 2s, havent played him enough in 3s to really say yet, but it adds up over a match to a lot of health, I usually have ~150 Protection after a decent length close game. Meat Bolt is weird and I've started to use it more but it takes deliberate attention since it's more of a combo enabler than anything else (and so it's pretty much a waste of meter if you don't have said combo skills off cooldown). When I play Bakko I use his Shield Bash ex pretty often but completely forget his other one.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cerepol posted:

So why not just kill him and move on?

I mean there was like 10 seconds left before sudden death so he just killed himself, and it took a few seconds to realize he was throwing instead of trying to bait something. I don't really get why someone playing a healer would ever throw a 2v1 though, at worst you lose and learn how to 2v1 better and at best you win.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to Steam there are 7k+ players active right now in Battlerite.

:eyepop:

Hopefully it stays at that level for more than a week.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Ashka exs are very good in general, a second escape with heal on hit and a petrify means I can lock a dude up for a while. I'm the only ashka I've seen use exs in pub matches, it's a shame

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I mean there was like 10 seconds left before sudden death so he just killed himself, and it took a few seconds to realize he was throwing instead of trying to bait something. I don't really get why someone playing a healer would ever throw a 2v1 though, at worst you lose and learn how to 2v1 better and at best you win.

Well if your on tilt, full of salt, or just demoralized, you learn nothing from that fight. 99% of the time I'll fight it out, but every now and then I just don't give a poo poo anymore and sit there.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
The energy UI can certainly use some improvement. As Sirius it would be very useful to know when you're at 50% energy for the R -> LMB -> Ex-LMB combo (64 damage) but as far as I'm aware there's noe asy way to do that.

Also, the ex abilities can use some balancing as well. Some are way too situational, like Sirius ex-space or Oldur's ex-LMB. Some are really cool but rarely used because they share a cooldown with a more important spell, like Oldur's chronoflux (they should put chronoflux in his R slot and the petrify on ex-E or something). I also think some are a bit too good, like flamethrower (it not triggering trances and being able to move while using it makes it much harder to evade than Iva's ult, plus you can spam it and it burns oil).

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The quarters of your energy bar turn orange when they're full, so it's not too hard to tell at a glance. Wouldn't hurt to have some sort of small sound/visual effect for every 25% gained, I suppose.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
put a little glowing/fiery effect around the buttons on your hotbar which have available meter-spenders. maybe dull the effect a bit if said ability is on cooldown.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luna Was Here posted:

Countblanc posted:

I solo queue in 2v2 a lot because my friends are stuck playing WoW, and the people I get matched with will usually apologize for something they screwed up, compliment me, or just point out what they'll be focusing on for the next round. (I do the same for them, usually) Cross-team chat is usually "glhf" "gl final round" "ggwp", with the occasional chat about compositions or a nice play.

I've only ran into a few rude people (almost always opponents, with one rager teammate) and "manner up" usually gets them to shut up and adjust.

Radical posted:

its super hard to actually get a handle on how strong some of the heroes are because their ex abilities/r ability might have a lot of their power budget and no one ever uses those because the energy bar's readability isn't great so people just know when they have ult because of the voice callout. ive seen rook so many times since he got added and ive seen him use meat bolt like, once? and maybe ive seen him use ex lmb once or twice? not too sure. in general i just dont see many ex abilities come out, and i feel like a lot of the heroes that seem really strong right now have very situational ex skills that you wouldn't need to use very often to be effective.

It's not even just the energy bar being low-visibility, it's that the EX abilities straight up aren't displayed on the screen whatsoever unless you press Shift, so it's very easy to forget about them while you're taking visual stock of your cooldowns by glancing at the bottom of your screen.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Welp, I just found out flamethrower uses 50% energy instead of 25% like all other EX abilities, so I guess it's somewhat balanced that way.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Loving this game so far and I am really excited that Harbinger is coming soon, he was one of my mains in BLC. Have the devs talked much about how many BLC characters they are planning on porting over? Blood Priest and Guardian were my other go-to heroes and I really hope they get brought over as well.

The Battlerite system is also such a huge improvement over medallions, not only does it not have an awful F2P grind associated with it, but it lets you tweak your game to account for your team comp if you're pubbing solo.

I'm still shaking off some of the muscle memory I have from BLC, both in terms of names and also keybinds for various skills (the fact that they're still using the old BLC skill assets doesn't help.) I'm sure I'm going to confuse the hell out of my friends when I'm talking about Iggy, Glutton, Alch and Spearmaster because I can't remember their new names yet.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
So many of the names are just fantasy gibberish Consonant-Vowel-Consonant-Vowel that it doesn't really help compared to BLC's names-as-descriptors. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but yeah other than a few like Bakko and Ashka I just say "alch," "inhib," etc.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I was actually thinking add energy readouts to the cursor.

It is already split into 4 parts. Even better would be giving you the choice. Anyways each time a section fills up just colour one of the sections of your crosshair.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
so does anyone else feel like the hitbox for Croak's LMB swing is really wonky sometimes? Like sometimes I'll hit a max range stun that doesn't look like it should've hit and then sometimes I'm swinging right through a guy.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Astro is so loving nasty

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how do you guys feel about the Battlerite system? I've watched some streams of this game and it looks fun to play but that whole system seems strange to me. Like, in addition to all the normal skills you have to memorize their modifiers as well. It seems like an overwhelming amount of stuff to know about, and having them change on a per round basis seems weird.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So how do you guys feel about the Battlerite system? I've watched some streams of this game and it looks fun to play but that whole system seems strange to me. Like, in addition to all the normal skills you have to memorize their modifiers as well. It seems like an overwhelming amount of stuff to know about, and having them change on a per round basis seems weird.

They're color coded, so you can tell at a glance what to expect. pearl is taking a full blue row? She's tanking up, cc her and focus others. Someone has a purple battlerite? Mouse over it real quick and now you're aware that they have a root or a snare in their toolkit.

I like them, but I feel some rites could be better balanced. Personally I enjoy going into a match and deciding, okay, we lack burst and are struggling against this healer so let's grab mortal strike/burst damage and see if that lets us overcome our disadvantage.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I wish the numbers for health and mana were on your guy instead of up in the corner

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

strong bird posted:

I wish the numbers for health and mana were on your guy instead of up in the corner

huh? they should be, unless you disabled something

e: oh you mean actual numbers, not the bars

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Internet Kraken posted:

Theoretically, yes, but i find that people often pick the same battlerites. A sort of "meta" if you will.

So in practice (at least at my matchmaking level) it kind of washes out. Although you are certainly "rite" :haw: that you need to pay attention or you could be taken by surprise by a stun you didn't expect or such.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Engineer is fantastic, it's literally a complete gimmick hero. Every single ability is a gimmick and it's amazing. I have a tool for every situation!

Rook going berserker? Concussive shot! Ashka channeling really far away? Tractor beam! My healer going ham? Zap! Triple oiled enemy team? Flamethrower! Croak or Jade spamming abilities without watching for counters? Tazer!

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Minrad posted:

huh? they should be, unless you disabled something

e: oh you mean actual numbers, not the bars

Yes, numbers

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Brannock posted:

Engineer is fantastic, it's literally a complete gimmick hero. Every single ability is a gimmick and it's amazing. I have a tool for every situation!

Rook going berserker? Concussive shot! Ashka channeling really far away? Tractor beam! My healer going ham? Zap! Triple oiled enemy team? Flamethrower! Croak or Jade spamming abilities without watching for counters? Tazer!

I put this as Engineer's description in the OP because it's really the perfect summary of engineer's style.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah engie's greatest strength and weakness back in BLC was always his versatility - You had an answer to every situation, usually a very good answer, but generally just the one and you had to put yourself in dangerous situations to really do any damage. If you blew your tool for a specific situation and the enemy team had a way to force that situation again you were in trouble, so you had to keep fights moving quickly and not really let people play at their desired pace.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luna Was Here posted:

Nice chat, Luna!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

Nice chat, Luna!

my fuckin sirius saved you guys so hard, knocked your archer out of the last shot of my ult and then she panic'd me and i died rofl

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Luna Was Here posted:

my fuckin sirius saved you guys so hard, knocked your archer out of the last shot of my ult and then she panic'd me and i died rofl

Even then I would have been full health against a quarter-health Sirius! I was about to kill you right after your ult ended with a rocket->shotgun

That was a fun match though, lots of jumping and repositioning

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
And my very next match is against Wangsbig

edit: and I got Luna's Sirius who couldn't pull his weight in this match either (to be fair I was also missing tazers), gg Wangsbig

Brannock fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 21, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't come across any goons in pub games :smith:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Brannock posted:

Even then I would have been full health against a quarter-health Sirius! I was about to kill you right after your ult ended with a rocket->shotgun

That was a fun match though, lots of jumping and repositioning

i had my immaterial stealth coming off of that ult, so it might not have been as done as you thought! still a close game regardless

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i mashed buttons as the mysterious sand man

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i have been informed that i was actually playing the astronomy man, and that the sand man is actually the mysterious bemasked goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Since not everyone hangs out in Discord, I figured I'd make a spreadsheet for SA people to add each other with. Link is here. Please do not troll anything other than the memes column thanks in advance

• Locked thread