Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will There Be a Perfect Team This Season?
Yes, Both 19-0 and 0-16
Yes, but only 19-0
Yes, but only 0-16
lol no
View Results

• Locked thread
Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Congratulations and good luck to the Bengals as they continue their quest for 19-0 in the 2016 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

Congratulations and good luck to the Bengals as they continue their quest for 19-0 in the 2016 season.

uh they're 4-1 bro

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
WEEK 5 SUPER LATE UPDATE

Apologies for the delay, work has been crazy.

Eliminated from the 19-0 Race

Philadelphia Eagles - Ryan Mathews forgot how to carry a football and Carson Wentz Missed.
Denver Broncos - Like I said, losing Siemian ended up being A Big Deal

Eliminated from the 0-16 Race

NONE

Week 6 19-0 Chase Commentary

And then there was one. Thanks to losses by the Eagles and Broncos the Vikings are are only remaining 19-0 candidate. This week they have a bye so we'll talk more about them next week.

Upcoming Games:

BYE @ Vikings

Week 6 0-16 Chase Commentary

The Patriots demolished the Browns. This week they have what is probably one of their last winnable games on the schedule when they visit the Titans. Except the Titans look not half-bad now. Meanwhile the Bengals look like dogshit so, maybe they'll win next week? :unsmith:

5 October 9 1:00 p.m. New England Patriots :sad:
6 October 16 1:00 p.m. at Tennessee Titans
7 October 23 1:00 p.m. at Cincinnati Bengals
8 October 30 1:00 p.m. New York Jets
9 November 6 1:00 p.m. Dallas Cowboys
10 November 10 8:25 p.m. at Baltimore Ravens
11 November 20 1:00 p.m. Pittsburgh Steelers
12 November 27 1:00 p.m. New York Giants
13 Bye
14 December 11 1:00 p.m. Cincinnati Bengals
15 December 18 1:00 p.m. at Buffalo Bills
16 December 24 1:00 p.m. San Diego Chargers
17 January 1 1:00 p.m. at Pittsburgh Steelers

Upcoming Games:

Browns @ Titans

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

lost season

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Should have traded for Bradford.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

NotWearingPants posted:

Should have traded for Bradford.
We were close

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

call tebow

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

come on browns win a game, don't ruin the uniqueness of the 2008 lions for me plz.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If the Browns go 0-16 I will be fine with an Indians World Series victory.

One game, that is.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Browns still alive :toot:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns going the distance

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
No they're going to totally clown some random team after playoffs have been decided.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
WEEK 6 UPDATE

Eliminated from the 19-0 Race

NONE

Eliminated from the 0-16 Race

NONE

Week 7 19-0 Chase Commentary

With the Vikings the only remaining team left, let's take a look at their schedule:

7 Oct 23 1:00PM AT Eagles
8 Oct 31 8:30PM AT Bears
9 Nov 6 1:00PM Lions
10 Nov 13 1:00PM AT Redskins
11 Nov 20 1:00PM Cardinals
12 Nov 24 12:30PM AT Lions (Thanksgiving)
13 Dec 1 8:25PM Cowboys
14 Dec 11 1:00PM AT Jaguars
15 Dec 18 1:00PM Colts
16 Dec 24 1:00PM AT Packers
17 Jan 1 1:00PM Bears

It looks...somewhat bad. Toughest games remaining are @PHI, @WAS, AZ, DAL, and @GB. Middle of the road games look to be both DET games, @JAX and @CHI. The remaining games are all winnable. So that's 5 tough games, 4 average games and only 2 easy games (CHI, IND).

My best guess is they've got a loss by the middle of November. If they still haven't lost by Thanksgiving though, I'd say it's most likely they end up losing the Packers game on Christmas Eve.

Now as for this week, we have the Sam Bradford Revenge game. Two weeks ago this looked like it'd be a matchup of two undefeated teams, but the Eagles have struggled as of late. Even as a total Eagles homer, I can't see my birds winning this game, so the Vikings will continue their attempt at 19-0 for another week.

Upcoming Games:

Vikings @ Eagles

Week 7 0-16 Chase Commentary

Well, let's take the Titans off the list. It now looks...really bleak for Cleveland.

5 October 9 1:00 p.m. New England Patriots :sad:
6 October 16 1:00 p.m. at Tennessee Titans :sad:
7 October 23 1:00 p.m. at Cincinnati Bengals
8 October 30 1:00 p.m. New York Jets
9 November 6 1:00 p.m. Dallas Cowboys
10 November 10 8:25 p.m. at Baltimore Ravens
11 November 20 1:00 p.m. Pittsburgh Steelers
12 November 27 1:00 p.m. New York Giants
13 Bye
14 December 11 1:00 p.m. Cincinnati Bengals
15 December 18 1:00 p.m. at Buffalo Bills
16 December 24 1:00 p.m. San Diego Chargers
17 January 1 1:00 p.m. at Pittsburgh Steelers

Maybe they can manage to take down the Jets who are completely rudderless on offense? I dunno. I think we could have a live one here folks.

Upcoming Games:

Browns @ Bengals

axeil fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 20, 2016

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
drat we have to play the Titans two weeks in a row?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

drat we have to play the Titans two weeks in a row?

Haha, I hit the "post" button while I was still editing things. It's updated now!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The Vikings are favored in every game they have remaining on the schedule. They'll definitely drop some of them but it's not really a given which ones based on season performances to this point.

Like, Dallas looks to be the most difficult game
they have left and that's a home game, so the odds still feel pretty good for Minnesota.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Vikings will lose to the Eagles.

Everyone expects the Vikings defense to destroy the Eagles' depleted offensive line, but the Viking's offensive line is worse and they will be playing against a better defensive line than the Eagles are facing.

I think this will come down to the better quarterback.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

Everyone expects the Vikings defense to destroy the Eagles' depleted offensive line, but the Viking's offensive line is worse and they will be playing against a better defensive line than the Eagles are facing.

So you're saying if the Vikings win the Eagles shouldn't have traded Bradford? :v:

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I think the game I'm most worried about is the Washington game. Even if they're not the strongest in the NFC East they're still a huge mystery in terms of their potential.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

This is some sweet Madden logic.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

WHOOPS posted:

This is some sweet Madden logic.

If by "Madden" you mean "solid"

I think the correct rebuttal would be "Yeah, the Eagles may have a better D-Line than the Vikings, but the Vikings have a better defensive everything else."

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The Eagles don't have a better d-line, though. The Vikings have a top tier starting front four and better depth than any other team in the league on their line. They generate more pressure than Philly without giving up anything on the run because they can rotate guys regularly while losing little in production.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It doesn't matter if every Packers starter is injured and they are literally just pulling fans from the stands to play in the game, @GB is always a possible loss.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
with the state of the o-line, every game is a possible loss. Bradford's success to this point has been in spite an absurd amount of a pressure and the run game is the worst in the league. The Vikings look like the best team in football right now but it's not hard to see the weak points that can do them in.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Mike Zimmer had two weeks to figure out how to completely destroy a rookie quarterback using the best defense in football. Wentz couldn't have a worse game coming up than if North Dakota had to play Alabama. He's going to get so many different dudes in his face they'll change his name to Kasey Wentz and air the games on Spice.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

WHOOPS posted:

The Eagles don't have a better d-line, though. The Vikings have a top tier starting front four and better depth than any other team in the league on their line. They generate more pressure than Philly without giving up anything on the run because they can rotate guys regularly while losing little in production.

The Eagles have plenty of D-Line depth as well. Also, their safeties are very good. CBs and LBs not so much....

I realize that the Eagles defense is not as good as the Viking defense, but I am struck by the many similarities between the teams. Both have QBs who are playing very well, despite a lack of elite receiving weapons and offensive line problems. And despite these QBs performing better than most would have though possible, both teams still rely on their defenses to win games.

I love defense and I am so psyched for this game. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is decided by defensive or special teams scoring.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NotWearingPants posted:

Except the Vikings D line is much better than the Eagles D line, and the current RT for the Eagles looked real bad against WAS. Especially against speed rushers. I'm expecting at least once in the game a DE will rush up the field, the RT will bail to cover, and a LB will blitz past him and level Wentz.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Mike Zimmer had two weeks to figure out how to completely destroy a rookie quarterback using the best defense in football. Wentz couldn't have a worse game coming up than if North Dakota had to play Alabama. He's going to get so many different dudes in his face they'll change his name to Kasey Wentz and air the games on Spice.

OxySnake posted:

Except the Vikings D line is much better than the Eagles D line, and the current RT for the Eagles looked real bad against WAS. Especially against speed rushers. I'm expecting at least once in the game a DE will rush up the field, the RT will bail to cover, and a LB will blitz past him and level Wentz.

Maybe, but though four games Wentz was 30 of 36 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns for a 132.2 rating against the blitz. He's better under pressure.

Also, you are underestimating the strength of the Eagles' defensive line. It's understandable because Chip Kelly had been playing them out of position in a two-gap 3-4 for the past three years so most people don't know them beyond Fletcher Cox, the best defensive tackle in the NFL. Unfortunately, Bennie Logan will be out so you won't get the full experience.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 21, 2016

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

NotWearingPants posted:

so most people don't know them beyond Fletcher Cox, the best defensive tackle in the NFL.

And while Wentz may do well against the blitz, Im guessing he doesnt do well with a free rusher coming after him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

NotWearingPants posted:

Maybe, but though four games Wentz was 30 of 36 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns for a 132.2 rating against the blitz. He's better under pressure.

Extremely small sample size against defenses that are suspect at best. Wentz is probably going to be good, but he's going to get tested hard here and I think he is going to come up short this time. He's definitely going to know what Anthony Barr's dick tastes like.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

Also, you are underestimating the strength of the Eagles' defensive line. It's understandable because Chip Kelly had been playing them out of position in a two-gap 3-4 for the past three years so most people don't know them beyond Fletcher Cox, the best defensive tackle in the NFL. Unfortunately, Bennie Logan will be out so you won't get the full experience.

Against the blitz is not the same as under pressure though. If the Vikings can get pressure only rushing 4 they're in good shape.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Most of the Vikings pressure comes from just four guys, but not necessarily just the front four. the whole reason Zimmer used the double-a gap mug look is to creature confusion on who will be rushing the passer.. What makes it so effective in Minnesota is that Barr and Kendricks have incredible sideline-to-sideline speed so they can stay with their assignments despite being up on the line at the snap. Ditto with Harrison Smith. That makes the threat of the rushing legitimate and requires making the right read for protection calls. And even then, the LBs are fast enough that they'll read the center to see who he chooses to engage and then either roll off into coverage or rush.

But really the biggest matchup concern should be Brian Robison and Danielle Hunter eating HPV's lunch. Like, if they don't use an extra man to chip and what not, that could get ugly.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Welp, the Eagles handled the Vikings pass rush a lot better than I expected. Minnesota blew a big chance to get up early and Schwartz had the Eagles D in the right spot drat near every snap. Just a really good game by the Philly D.

NattyBo
Sep 20, 2004

Football Team.
Welp, it's all on you now, Browns.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Eat poo poo, Vikings. Green, slimy, corn-pocked poo poo.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
NotWearingPants vindicated by reality

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yes, but WHOOPS had some good posts and I feel more knowledgeable having read them.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
the browns' maybe-adequate rookie QB clody keser was taken off with a concussion today so they are going with tiny dual-"threat" udfa kevan hogen for the foreseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

v2vian man posted:

the browns' maybe-adequate rookie QB clody keser was taken off with a concussion today so they are going with tiny dual-"threat" udfa kevan hogen for the foreseeable future

I want to see how many QBs we can go through this year. I think McCown will be back next week so I do not see Hogan going on the Hydra though :(

• Locked thread