Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Shadowhand00 posted:

Jougert has a ridiculous 5 star yelp rating and they've held onto it for the 2 years they've been open. They're so good after a nice long bike ride.

I don't believe there're any good roasters on the Penninsula. Phillz was good years ago before I feel like they over expanded. Sightglass coffee is my favorite in the city though.

Is Philz not good anymore? I don't get it as often as I used to, but it still tastes about the same to me. Prices have definitely gone up though.

For good coffee in the south bay, I like Big Mug in Santa Clara, and Red Rock in downtown Mountain View. There's a couple other places that I've been to, but not often enough to really nail down if I would go regularly (B2, Chromatic, Great Bear).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

404notfound posted:

Is Philz not good anymore? I don't get it as often as I used to, but it still tastes about the same to me. Prices have definitely gone up though.
I think Philz is about the same as it's always been, we recently got one in Burlingame. I'm more into espresso drinks myself so don't really bother with Philz.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I'd appreciate recommendations for good coffee and read a book kinda place in the peninsula. Starbucks and Phillz are out because they're ridiculously loud. I don't know how anyone actually gets any work done there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

404notfound posted:

It's still fine, but they have expanded a shitload so it could prolly vary wildly. My girlfriend still likes them (at least ones here in Berkeley) even tho they badly screwed up her orders the past few times.

I really don't like them tho because it's basically the price of a couple tacos for a cup of coffee, which is insane to me since I'm cheap as gently caress. And probably related is my taste buds are probably broken and I really only notice two tiers of coffee--black pisswater (gas station, fast food places), and just normal tasting coffee (starbucks, peets, philz, local shops) that more or less taste mostly the same to me so I pretty much just stick with Peets as it's cheap. I've tried places like Blue Bottle or w/e fancy poo poo and while yeah I can tell it's a a little better, not worth a) much longer wait, and b) much higher cost

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

SB35 posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations for good coffee and read a book kinda place in the peninsula. Starbucks and Phillz are out because they're ridiculously loud. I don't know how anyone actually gets any work done there.
If you can get over the insufferable attitude of the hipster baristas, S’Bastians in Redwood City has pretty good coffee and is very quiet. I've only been a handful of times, but always see lots of people working there. They have a 5 star Yelp review.

Almost forgot about it because it isn't really a cafe, but Apple Fritter in San Mateo make really good lattes and depending on who is working, they have fun latte art. As the name implies, they also do amazing donuts and fritters (but also serve traditional breakfast/lunch foods). Sometimes the line can be out to the parking lot, though, so it's not worth the wait if you're just going for coffee.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

amethystbliss posted:

Almost forgot about it because it isn't really a cafe, but Apple Fritter in San Mateo make really good lattes and depending on who is working, they have fun latte art. As the name implies, they also do amazing donuts and fritters (but also serve traditional breakfast/lunch foods). Sometimes the line can be out to the parking lot, though, so it's not worth the wait if you're just going for coffee.

I've found that the key there, particularly if I'm just looking for coffee, is to just call ahead. There's no line for pickup and they're generally pretty quick.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

SB35 posted:

I like Cafe Borrone in Menlo Park; it's got a lovely outdoor area

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Pizza: The pizza sucks here. Very very few places make the cut.
Arinell (aka Hesher Pizza) - SF and Berkeley. Cheap, thin crust New York or thick crust school cafeteria, really solid for the money. Like they took the best pizza place out of your New York or Jersey childhood (constantly blasting rock music and all) and plopped it into the bay. $3 slices,

what does this mean? I am unfortunate enough to have visited New Jersey twice, and everything I ate there was disgusting, including the pizza. I had pizza in NYC once, and it wasn't anything special.

Little Star is easily the best pizza I've ever had (thin crust -- no interest in deep dish). Places like Delfina, Beretta, Delarosa, etc., are perfectly fine. If just you want a greasy slice you dump hot sauce all over and fold in half, I am sure there are plenty of acceptable options. Maybe childhood nostalgia is the secret ingredient I am missing out on.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

what does this mean? I am unfortunate enough to have visited New Jersey twice, and everything I ate there was disgusting, including the pizza. I had pizza in NYC once, and it wasn't anything special.

Little Star is easily the best pizza I've ever had (thin crust -- no interest in deep dish). Places like Delfina, Beretta, Delarosa, etc., are perfectly fine. If just you want a greasy slice you dump hot sauce all over and fold in half, I am sure there are plenty of acceptable options. Maybe childhood nostalgia is the secret ingredient I am missing out on.

Yeah I never understood that either. Chez Panisse makes great pizza for instance and is instrumental in the whole California-style pizza (different that California Pizza Kitchen though they've bastardized some of it). It's not a NY slice or deep dish or anything, but there's good, regional pizza out here. I love Goat Hill in the city, I've heard great things about Flour & Water as well.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Carillon posted:

Yeah I never understood that either. Chez Panisse makes great pizza for instance and is instrumental in the whole California-style pizza (different that California Pizza Kitchen though they've bastardized some of it). It's not a NY slice or deep dish or anything, but there's good, regional pizza out here. I love Goat Hill in the city, I've heard great things about Flour & Water as well.
Tony's in North Beach is great, though I admittedly know nothing about the art of pizza making.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
has anyone mentioned Golden Boy in North Beach yet? One of the only good places in the city. Marcello's at castro and market isnt bad either

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
There are several Tony's in the city: there's one in Soma that I go to decently often, and I believe another one on mid-Market. It's not quite a true New York style slice--the crust is a bit too crisp to fold and uses cornmeal--but it's damned good regardless.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I mentioned when I tried to start sandwich discussion, but the Tony's Slice House in North Beach does a pretty fantastic Italian Beef that everyone should try once.

Its not that Phillz's quality has gone down - I just prefer other coffee shops to it. If you're going to spend $3-$9 for a cup of coffee, I'd much prefer to spend it elsewhere.

PHillz is expanding down to San Diego in the next few months. They've grown like crazy from what they originally were.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Another excellent slice in the city is at Long Bridge Pizza in Dogpatch.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
There was a goon meet up in Alameda a few years ago and we ate a place called American Oak. It was pretty decent and had flights of whiskey which I thought was interesting.

Are there any other places similar to that or have flights of whiskey? Restaurant or bar doesn't really matter, but if they have good food that's definitely a plus.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

OGS-Remix posted:

There was a goon meet up in Alameda a few years ago and we ate a place called American Oak. It was pretty decent and had flights of whiskey which I thought was interesting.

Are there any other places similar to that or have flights of whiskey? Restaurant or bar doesn't really matter, but if they have good food that's definitely a plus.

Don't remember if they have flights per se, but Nihon up at the top of the Mission has an extensive whiskey tasting menu and (Japanese style mostly) appetizers / small plates. Bit on the expensive side probably.

Also Whiskey Thieves in the (upper) Tenderloin, which is more of a bar type place.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

OGS-Remix posted:

Dont know about flights but The Alembic on Haight and Churchill on Church & Market have decent whiskey selections

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Hard Water on the embarcadero does. It's a little pricey but the view is really nice and the food is decent.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nihon is great but yeah, very pricey. Whiskey Thieves is excellent, too, but I don't think they offer flights.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Going to Rasa tonight - anything I must try in particular?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Shadowhand00 posted:

dosas!!!!!!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Agreed 100% on the dosas, if you like spice you should try the bollywood one. The truffle and elephant are fun too. Also I've never been disappointed with the seafood there, so if you like fish, go for the halibut.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Just moved over by SF State on the southwestern side of the city. It's not really an area I've explored before, so what's good around here that I should check out?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Old Mandarin Islamic is a western Chinese joint in that corner of the city I don't go to often enough, because I really like them. I don't know if you have a car or how good bus service is over there, but in general there's a lot of good ethnic food on the west side of the city north of, say, Noriega. That's not really walking distance in the same way that Old Mandarin is, though.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Baby Babbeh posted:

Just moved over by SF State on the southwestern side of the city. It's not really an area I've explored before, so what's good around here that I should check out?

Go to Submarine Center for the best sandwich in SF.

Toyose is slightly over there but its a great little Korean drinking joint with good fried chicken.

Dosas definitely check out. since the people I went to don't too much spice, we ended up getting the basil dosa. Still absolutely delicious.

Also had the sliders, butter chicken, and the wild mushroom uthappam. All very good and my fiance, who doesn't really like Indian food, is already ready to go back and try more food.

Definitely want to try the biriyani next time.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Seconding Old Mandarin and Toyose.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm mostly conversant in East Bay stuff, but here goes

Things that have already been mentioned

Cafe Colucci in Oakland for Ethiopian. They went through a rough patch a couple years ago but they're really really good again and it's wonderful. Get some raw kitfo and some mitten shouro.

Vik's Chaat in Berkeley is really quite good. I usually get the chole bhatura and the keema samosa but you can't really go wrong.

Eureka in Berkeley has still been really consistent for a good burger and a nice beer selection. Usually has a wait of 20 minutes or so though.

Now, for some things that haven't been mentioned yet:

Great China in Berkeley is the place for Peking Duck, and really just the place for restaurant-style Chinese food in the East Bay. Expect a wait of 30+ minutes unless you have a reservation (5 or more) but it's worth it. Bring a party of 6 and get the dinner special. Surprisingly interesting wines as well. The double skin (mung bean noodle salad with Chinese mustard and sea cucumber) is unreal.

Noodles Fresh in El Cerrito is a fairly new spot that has been super on point lately. They had some service issues when they got started but they've figured it out and now it's rad. Interesting noodle dishes from different regions in China. Noodles are exceedingly chewy and tasty, and the teas are also really good. Pretty inexpensive option.

Breads of India, the Berkeley location, is a real delight. Small, no wait, different curries and featured breads every day, as well as a couple of standard dishes like saag paneer. I once had some coconut chicken curry thing here with their recommended cracked pepper naan and it sort of changed my life.

The Hotsy Totsy in Albany is one of the best bars in town, and it has Tacos El Autlense in the parking lot, probably the best taco truck north of Fruitvale. I've had many a memorable night at the Hots.

Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley is totally on fire. They opened not quite 2 years ago and have already expanded to a couple new cities. Really well-designed beers and their food options (usually fried stuff like empanadas and pasties and whatever) are super legit.

Shanghai Dumpling King in Glen Park/Bernal Heights in San Francisco is a great place to go if you want to eat around 20 dumplings each for less than $15 per person. I recommend the Shanghai dumplings, spicy wonton dumplings, and potstickers.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Shadowhand00 posted:

How was it? What'd you get?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kenning posted:

I'm mostly conversant in East Bay stuff, but here goes

Now, for some things that haven't been mentioned yet:

Great China in Berkeley is the place for Peking Duck, and really just the place for restaurant-style Chinese food in the East Bay. Expect a wait of 30+ minutes unless you have a reservation (5 or more) but it's worth it. Bring a party of 6 and get the dinner special. Surprisingly interesting wines as well. The double skin (mung bean noodle salad with Chinese mustard and sea cucumber) is unreal.

Noodles Fresh in El Cerrito is a fairly new spot that has been super on point lately. They had some service issues when they got started but they've figured it out and now it's rad. Interesting noodle dishes from different regions in China. Noodles are exceedingly chewy and tasty, and the teas are also really good. Pretty inexpensive option.

Breads of India, the Berkeley location, is a real delight. Small, no wait, different curries and featured breads every day, as well as a couple of standard dishes like saag paneer. I once had some coconut chicken curry thing here with their recommended cracked pepper naan and it sort of changed my life.

The Hotsy Totsy in Albany is one of the best bars in town, and it has Tacos El Autlense in the parking lot, probably the best taco truck north of Fruitvale. I've had many a memorable night at the Hots.

Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley is totally on fire. They opened not quite 2 years ago and have already expanded to a couple new cities. Really well-designed beers and their food options (usually fried stuff like empanadas and pasties and whatever) are super legit.

Shanghai Dumpling King in Glen Park/Bernal Heights in San Francisco is a great place to go if you want to eat around 20 dumplings each for less than $15 per person. I recommend the Shanghai dumplings, spicy wonton dumplings, and potstickers.
Thanks. I haven't tried Noodles Fresh and Great China is definitely a place I've been meaning to try. I'll definitely plan to try Noodles Fresh here soon with the upcoming rainy season. I'm a little pissed that Berkeley has poo poo pho options, especially now that Cafe V closed down. The best you can do is heading over to Oakland like Monster Pho or something.

Hotsy Totsy is great and I need to go there more.

I love Fieldwork but man they're loving packed as poo poo whenever I go now so it's kind of not as fun and lo-key like it was around when they opened and you could just chat and chill with some random people and bartender. Maybe I just need to start going in the middle of week now :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Carillon posted:

How was it? What'd you get?

It was great! My girlfriend doesn't normally like Indian food at all and was trying to convince us not to go eat there. She ended up loving it and wants to go back again.

We got the following:

- Sliders
- Butter Chicken
- Wild Mushroom Uthappam
- Basil Dosa

This was a good amount of food for 4 people.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is there a cafe where if I ask for a Magic or even just a Flat White, the barista will know without explanation AND be able to make one?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Ranter posted:

Is there a cafe where if I ask for a Magic or even just a Flat White, the barista will know without explanation AND be able to make one?

try Stanza in the Mission. I had a realllllllllllly great cortado there last weekend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Xaris posted:

Thanks. I haven't tried Noodles Fresh and Great China is definitely a place I've been meaning to try. I'll definitely plan to try Noodles Fresh here soon with the upcoming rainy season. I'm a little pissed that Berkeley has poo poo pho options, especially now that Cafe V closed down. The best you can do is heading over to Oakland like Monster Pho or something.

Hotsy Totsy is great and I need to go there more.

I love Fieldwork but man they're loving packed as poo poo whenever I go now so it's kind of not as fun and lo-key like it was around when they opened and you could just chat and chill with some random people and bartender. Maybe I just need to start going in the middle of week now :(

If you're looking for Pho, there's a Pho Au Sen where the Sizzler used to be in Albany on San Pablo. It's just as good at the original in East Oakland, but it's not in East Oakland!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

Hopscotch in uptown Oakland has flights of whiskey and all around great food.

Shan Dong in Oakland chinatown has the best dumplings. The handmade noodles are worth the upcharge.

Little shin shin in piedmont has great Chinese food all around. Amazing orange chicken.

1/4 lb burrito on 25th and San pablo has bomb Carne asada fries. Big portions, get it for lunch pretty often.

Pho Sinh in Alameda has good vegetarian pho. Also great vegetarian garlic noodles.

Are there any veggie burger recommendations in the east bay?

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

lampey posted:

The one at Moxie's in south Berkeley is Bahn-mi inspired and good. That's a good spot for beers that has nice outdoor seating.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

lampey posted:

Thanks I'll have to check this place out sometime too.

Michelin has updated their guide for the SF Bay Area. See which places are going to get a lot more expensive and harder to get reservations for in the coming months.

http://sf.eater.com/maps/michelin-stars-san-francisco-bay-area-2017-map

Who's up for a goon meet at Quince? :10bux:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
My stomping ground is Albany/Berkeley, so I'm glad to see this thread.

Seconding Barney's. A bit pricey, but huge variety and great fries and shakes (the malts are so good!)

Oori in Albany is a small rice triangle joint with an American touch to it-- one of my favorites is the tuna aioli. It's also excellently priced-- the student bowl (it's right near the local high school so that's a huge chunk of their clientele) is a good-sized portion of protein and rice for $5.45, tax included.

Al's Big Burger in Albany is a tiny burger shack that makes some pretty good burgers. Mind you, a good portion of my love for it is nostalgia, and I'm aware it isn't out of this world.

Saul's in Berkeley is the only Jewish deli that I know of in the East Bay, which is probably a crime. It's sort of pricey, but the Reubens are so good, you guys.

Ike's is a Bay Area sandwich chain that recently opened a store near the downtown Berkeley BART station.

Sliver is up the street and is phenomenal pizza.

Speaking of pizza, Gioia, about a 15 minute walk from the North Berkeley BART station, is some of the best I've ever had. Good, flat, New York style.

The Kensington Circus Pub in Kensington (obviously) is a family-friendly British style pub that does simple food really well.

For breakfast, Inn Kensington is a family favorite. If you go there, though, it's cash only.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This hole in the wall Yemeni restaurant is the loving bees knees: https://www.yelp.com/biz/yemen-kitchen-san-francisco

The dudes are really friendly and want to teach you about their food.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

lampey posted:

Shan Dong in Oakland chinatown has the best dumplings. The handmade noodles are worth the upcharge.

Little shin shin in piedmont has great Chinese food all around. Amazing orange chicken.

1/4 lb burrito on 25th and San pablo has bomb Carne asada fries. Big portions, get it for lunch pretty often.

Pho Sinh in Alameda has good vegetarian pho. Also great vegetarian garlic noodles.

Seconding on Shan Dong, their handmade noodles are out of this loving world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Kuvo posted:

has anyone mentioned Golden Boy in North Beach yet? One of the only good places in the city. Marcello's at castro and market isnt bad either

Golden Boy pizza is the best pizza in the city that I've eaten so far, and i eat a lot of pizza. Though they have an annoying habit (like most popular places in this city) of slowing down service when the line out the door gets too short.

I absolutely refuse to stand in line for food, except for golden boy, fantastic stuff.

Re: Tony's, I've heard slice house is Tonys pizza, just by the slice, to go. Haven't tried it yet through.