Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Like, it was a big multi-colored circle of cloth (or nylon probably) with hand-loops all around it? And the gym teacher would come up with nonsense things to do with it to keep kids busy for an hour?

I guess I wanted to ask if there's a pro league somewhere for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Yes. However I think this activity has been banned after several cases of special needs children being suffocated or assaulted beneath rapidly descending rainbow 'chutes

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

Yes. However I think this activity has been banned after several cases of special needs children being suffocated or assaulted beneath rapidly descending rainbow 'chutes

That's a shame. I would have hoped the giant parachute lobby would have stepped in and come up with new programs to teach kids about safe 'chuting.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah we had those. We used to coordinate pulling on the parachute really hard and making kids on the other side fall over.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nope, no idea what you are talking about.

I used to dread "penis inspection day" at school though.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Yeah we had them, they were pretty cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
yeah, my adult brain doesn't really understand the appeal of them, but back then it was fun as hell

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
We used to do a thing where everyone would be in a circle around it and then all at once we'd sort of throw it upward and everyone had to run under it to the other side before it came down on you. Oh and while this wasn't a rule of the "game" it was a strictly followed indigenous custom that you had to scream at the top of your lungs while you ran. This was kindergarten/1st grade and it was one of the most fun things to do at PE.

My district basically banned it about 10 years ago because kids would run into each other in the wild dash and fall down and then "someone might get hurt." Hey fuckers this is human life, someone WILL get hurt, start getting used to it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was the special needs child that got butt raped under a parachute leading to their ban. AMA.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Heh, us 90's kids am I right?

Manticorny
Sep 7, 2016

It's a sad and beautiful world.
that poo poo was the best! beat the hell out of square dancing

except...

except for when i got to do-see-do with Tara :unsmith:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
that poo poo was fun when I was a kid

but as an adult I'd rather just smoke weed

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FrankieGoes posted:

I was the special needs child that got butt raped under a parachute leading to their ban. AMA.

Did you fart cum out of your rear end in a top hat when it was over?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

That Robot posted:

that poo poo was fun when I was a kid

but as an adult I'd rather just smoke weed

Perfect then!

https://youtu.be/c8oSQ4by_bA

[Warning: Camera dude is loud/high as gently caress]

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I think I remember getting hurt somehow while trapped under one of those things so I guess I was one of the special needs kids. This explains a lot actually.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
Yes we had one of those. Our PE teacher was amazing in that he tried to be safe about things but would usually fight to keep poo poo when people got hurt. In this case a kid got a fingernail ripped out when she was holding the parachute by rolling up the edge and and kind of curling her fingers into it. After that happened we got a talking to about how to hold it. I think the school took it away eventually though. The best was when you could get airtime when everyone would whip the chute upwards and then jump as it was at its apex.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
giant parachute loving owned

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000

JakeP posted:

giant parachute loving owned

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i loved the giant parachute. you can sorta replicate the same thing with your boyfriend/girlfriend by making them wave the covers over you when you're underneath.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I always wished I could be in the middle (assuming there wasn't a hole), and thrown up in the air. Alas it was not to be

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
What do you mean "did I have to"? The parachute was loving awesome.

Every gym day, we hoped that we'd use it. This is a loving first world country you idiot.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Also had a dude who wore those Bret Hart sunglasses. Not a whole lot I remember from the early 90s, the parachute and the douchey idiot with imitation Bret hart glasses stand out for some reason.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

spud posted:

Nope, no idea what you are talking about.

I used to dread "penis inspection day" at school though.

So you were home schooled.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to suppress the memory of being forced to "play" under your mom's dress for years, op

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

We had the parachute at the school I went to, too. The teacher would lob a ball into the middle and we'd all grab the parachute and try to make the ball fly off someone's side.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kuato posted:

Also had a dude who wore those Bret Hart sunglasses. Not a whole lot I remember from the early 90s, the parachute and the douchey idiot with imitation Bret hart glasses stand out for some reason.

if i had bret hart glasses back then id wear them all day every day

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
this sounds like some special needs PE class, OP.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i stopped going to music festivals but i bet one of those would be loving dope on clubdrugz

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
"have to" as if it was a chore instead of a god drat privilege

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arrhythmia posted:

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
We had that in like fifth grade. My favorite thing was when everyone grabbed it and kind of popped it up, then ran forward and under it a bit and quickly pulled it down behind you and sat down. It would form this big slowly deflating dome full of kids. And I would sit and watch it collapse in slow motion as I quietly wondered if it'd be possible to kill all the other children before it fell, so that I could enjoy the isolation of the fleeting satin bubble in peace and tranquility. Turned out it actually wasn't possible.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Arrhythmia posted:

We only used it once...

:negative:

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
group activity in gym that doesn't suck? must be the parachute.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Is this a euphamism for playing with your gym teacher's saggy balls? Cause same.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
we had a female gym teacher so she called her flappy labes her pisschutes

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Batterypowered7 posted:

We had the parachute at the school I went to, too. The teacher would lob a ball into the middle and we'd all grab the parachute and try to make the ball fly off someone's side.

Heck yeah. Throw in a whole bunch of whiffle balls and you got yourself a game of Popcorn

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I liked it under da 'chute. Good times.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
We probably used it like once a year. The rest of the time we spent waiting for our Vietnam-vet gym teacher to take his annual hunting trip so we could get a substitute who didn't yell at us to let us know we were trash.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
thats old school. they used to have that in the 70's and early 80's. i loved playing with that parachute. thanks for the positive childhood memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
We used to have a couple of those parachutes. We made up a game where you'd tighten up the parachute quickly and fling a big red rubber dodgeball across the gym and the other team would have to scramble to maneuver the chute in place to catch it and then fling it back. Kids would get trampled and poo poo, but since this was in the 90s and pre-9/11 the rec teachers would just get them ice, sit them on a chair and then ask "Ok are you ready to play again yet?" because ain't nobody gonna help raise pussy kids.

Oh one time our rec guy said "Let's try it with a basketball" which worked well enough to launch it into a very expensive, very powerful light (those big round ones that are like 30 feet off the ground) that exploded and shut down the basketball court for a few hours. It was rad.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 20, 2016

• Locked thread