Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pellisworth posted:

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Currently building a Dwarf Cleric philosopher of Oghma for an all caster party. That's relevant right? This is the D&D thread?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Also, after presenting my spiritual autobiography to my discernment committee for holy orders, a member said, "I have a lot of questions, but I need more time to think about it," which is terrifying.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I'm not a believer anymore but, I was raised as a Christian Scientist. So, if anyone has any questions about that particular branch, feel free to ask.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Paladinus posted:

I keep getting videos from this channel in my youtube recommendations, and this one I thought was funny enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI7opaMUI

Honestly I thought that was quite a good answer. I liked the way he said even prayer can be sinful when wrongly motivated.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Smoking Crow posted:

if you're going to complain to someone, complain to rodrigo diaz, i based mine on his milhist op

If you complain to me I will do to you what St. Dunstan did to the Devil

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr Enderby posted:

Honestly I thought that was quite a good answer. I liked the way he said even prayer can be sinful when wrongly motivated.

Yes, the answer was good, it's just funny to me how serious it was compared to the subject matter.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

WerrWaaa posted:

Also, after presenting my spiritual autobiography to my discernment committee for holy orders, a member said, "I have a lot of questions, but I need more time to think about it," which is terrifying.

which order are you trying to :rolldice: in

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mo Tzu posted:

Welcoming, but in a New England way not a southern way
Yeah. I don't want lots of people coming up to me and saying welcome and asking if I've found a church home. The occasional smile and reminder that there's coffee afterward does just fine, thanks. I am shy, and it is hard enough to make myself go to church without having to be Social.

e: Furthermore, Southern Nice, like Midwestern Nice, operates on multiple levels. If you just go by the smiles and sweet words, you are missing a lot, and in some cases all, of the conversation. Just see how surprised many people were when it was explained that "bless your heart" can be "Oh, you're so sweet" or "Go to hell" depending on context.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 21, 2016

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

my dad posted:

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

Pellisworth posted:

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?
All of a sudden I'm wondering what would happen if Milo met 02varvara.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Sinnlos posted:

Has anyone in this thread been through Pre Cana with the Roman Catholic Church? I'm about to start with my fiancé, and have a general idea of what to expect, yet find myself still somewhat apprehensive about the whole affair.

My now-husband and I did the Friday-night-to-Sunday-afternoon Engaged Encounter, because I lived in Montana and he lived in Virginia and going to weekly classes was not practical. It was very much a "you get as much as you put in" kind of thing; he was rolling his eyes all the way through it and I think he might still resent going, nine years later, while I found it helpful enough to hang on to the workbook we got. Assuming you are not living together and are both of childrearing age, if you've already discussed what you expect from living together and when you expect to have kids, you've covered one half-day of the Engaged Encounter already. (Going over it again, and hearing other couples discuss it, will probably still be helpful.)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

Felt I had to quote this because I got to sing it in a secular choir and it made me feel really good and tingly about *getting* where it is coming from. Not easy to convince my mostly atheist, protestant and jewish choirmates of its beauty though

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Valiantman posted:

I especially adore venerate like the thread title.

:golfclap:

my dad posted:

meh

come back with prosperity gospel

I unironically think a case could be made for the so-called "prosperity gospel" being one of the antichrists. The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes is morally repugnant to me. To paraphrase Morbo, "Deity does not work that way!"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Brennanite posted:

The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes

That drat dog has a long reach it seems. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
With respect, a fully good God wouldn't need to grant wishes in the first place.

Prosperity Gospel is repugnant, to be sure, but it's repugnant for saying that we live in the world we wish it were, not for the wishing itself.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Ceciltron posted:

Felt I had to quote this because I got to sing it in a secular choir and it made me feel really good and tingly about *getting* where it is coming from. Not easy to convince my mostly atheist, protestant and jewish choirmates of its beauty though

Lauridsen owns all the time always. His setting of O Nata Lux remains my single favorite setting of that poem/hymn ever. But no list of awesome sacred music would be complete without Tallis's If Ye Love Me, perhaps the most beloved piece in all of English polyphony.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

Lauridsen owns all the time always. His setting of O Nata Lux remains my single favorite setting of that poem/hymn ever. But no list of awesome sacred music would be complete without Tallis's If Ye Love Me, perhaps the most beloved piece in all of English polyphony.

Lauridsen's nice, but I always get the shivers for Ola Gjeilo's Sunrise Mass. This movement in particular, The City, is really nice. I guess the only real criticism i have is that he made a creed sound like a movie soundtrack.

Going to give Tallis a listen though, thanks!

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

which order are you trying to :rolldice: in

Priesthood in the Episcopal Church, Los Angeles Diocese :catholic:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Brennanite posted:

I unironically think a case could be made for the so-called "prosperity gospel" being one of the antichrists. The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes is morally repugnant to me. To paraphrase Morbo, "Deity does not work that way!"

Keep in mind that prosperity gospel is nothing new. It's one an argument put forth by one of Job's friends and is properly shredded by Job.

The notion that God rewards good people and punishes bad people has been a constant heresy in both Judaism and Christianity for millennia.

So don't ascribe it more status that it merits. It's not some hot new thing - it's the same old bullshit that's been around since Moses. The sitcom Maude had the tag line "God'll get you for that!" which infuriated my Dad every time he heard it, because it was yet another iteration of the same dumb idea that so many fall into so easily. Jesus fought against it constantly - before most of his healings he asked "was it this boy or his parents who sinned to make him blind?" with the point being nobody could really answer. He would then emphasize he had done nothing to deserve his blindness, then healed him and sent him on his way.

I guess we need to learn to use an encounter with PG people as an opportunity to teach and evangelize. "You get what you deserve" is the opposite of salvation by grace, as any honest reading of the Bible makes it clear that what we deserve is not riches, however good we are. We're saved despite being terrible scumbags purely through God's gift - there is absolutely nothing we can do to earn it.

That's a concept that is a stumbling block for many people. We're ingrained that everything is earned, good or bad. Rejecting that framework and accepting freely given Grace is the first leap of faith for most.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The magical wish-granting holy ATM aspect of the prosperity gospel is a little icky, but my real problem with it are the lovely corollaries: That the rich are rich because they're just more virtuous and Better Than You; and that it's purely 100% the fault of the poor that they're poor- they're such woeful, wretched sinners that God finds them undeserving of having their wishes for riches granted.

The divine genie stuff would just be a little bit weird if that were all it was, but add in a healthy dose of "Protestant Work Ethic", bootstraps, and lovely social Darwinism and it gets pretty ugly.

E:f;b, by a much better post.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Brennanite posted:

There's a Regina Spektor song called "Laughing With" that has a verse I really love:

But God can be funny
At a cocktail party when listening to a good God-themed joke, or
When the crazies say He hates us
And they get so red in the head you think they’re ‘bout to choke
God can be funny,
When told he’ll give you money if you just pray the right way
And when presented like a genie who does magic like Houdini
Or grants wishes like Jiminy Cricket and Santa Claus
God can be so hilarious

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Does this third page of the thread proceed from both the first and second, or only from the first?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

Does this third page of the thread proceed from both the first and second, or only from the first?

From the first, through the second, is my understanding. The three are not the same.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
something something something three jewels

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Gaspy Conana posted:

Also I imbued my clown game with shenanigans. No direct Christ allegory, more like a ~what a Christian should look like~ metaphor. Anyway, cool to talk about this on SA.

Lurker checking in the new thread. I just want to say that Jesus loves Dropsy and so do I. :3

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Shaddak posted:

I'm not a believer anymore but, I was raised as a Christian Scientist. So, if anyone has any questions about that particular branch, feel free to ask.

I recently went to a party of a family of Christian Scientists. We had a long discussion about theology and church structure, as a former Catholic it was fascinating, but also incredibly strange. The notion of the idea that the miracles of Jesus were actually a "science" is certainly out there. What do you think about their reluctance to trust doctors?

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Took a minute to find the new thread, just popping in with three prayer requests. My (Anglican) incumbent's brother-in-law passed away yesterday. Please pray for his family. As he is away I am taking the weekday services this week. Please pray for me as I'm still settling in with this parish and don't yet know the people, let alone the residents at the nursing home where I'll be serving this Thursday. Finally the incumbent from the OCA parish I attend for vespers just announced his father fell asleep in the Lord late last night. There is possibly some concern there as the funeral is being held in an ELCIC parish and I suspect Fr Philip will be under a bit of stress with that environment.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

For where two or three shitposts are gathered in My name, I am there lurking the thread.

Just wanted to say this didn't get nearly enough love.

Broken Mind
Jan 27, 2009
Not religious myself, at all, but I find great fascination with religious lifestyles, systems of belief and all that jazz, aspiring anthropologist that I am, and enjoyed lurking in the last thread. These days I have gotten very interested in the early church councils, but I haven't had the best luck finding information about the various arguments for different positions. It is easy to find who the principle arguers were for big one's like Arianism and Nestorianism (or whatever it is called), but the other councils and arguments not much luck. If anyone could give recommendations of sources for it, whether books or websites. Also recommendations for finding church music (big choirs and organs and all that fun stuff).

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Diarmaid MacCulloch's Christianity: The First Three Thousand Years is pretty good, though it covers all of Christian history and I can't remember offhand into how much detail he goes concerning the early councils. https://www.fourthcentury.com is a great resource concerning early Christianity, especially for the 4th century, but it is down for me atm

Re: music,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkuxKTJ0tvE (Charpentier is to die for, and he's afaik the only French composer of that period to emulate the Baroque style that was popular in the rest of Catholic Europe at the time. That's probably because he studied at Rome)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE5LbRk4AfE A super baroque setting to the Mass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-q9ss_phO8 A baroque Christmas piece written by a Silesian composer that's very popular in Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpjXqPXs42g Another Mass setting, though 19th century this time. This is the go-to music for Christmas Mass in the area I grew up in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc4GJCbF2G4 A great album that's titled "Fragments for the End of Time", need I say more? (it's musical settings to early medieval apocalyptic texts from Aquitaine and what today is Germany)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 21, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Oh, music time! Can't go wrong with 16 Horsepower, that guy believes some poo poo, no matter who you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d5QhkDsCnw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vdlo2X2ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Tias posted:

Oh, music time! Can't go wrong with 16 Horsepower, that guy believes some poo poo, no matter who you are:

Oh my goodness, thank you! Somebody showed me this band years ago and I totally forgot the name of them. I loved their sound and was never able to find them again. You just made my day.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ms. Happiness posted:

Oh my goodness, thank you! Somebody showed me this band years ago and I totally forgot the name of them. I loved their sound and was never able to find them again. You just made my day.

I'm glad! Also, then you'll probably also be happy to know he started a new one called Wovenhand, which is pretty good and currently touring :eng101:

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Tias posted:

I'm glad! Also, then you'll probably also be happy to know he started a new one called Wovenhand, which is pretty good and currently touring :eng101:

And all the albums for Wovenhand are on Amazon Prime streaming music..... Yessss.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

(Charpentier is to die for, and he's afaik the only French composer of that period to emulate the Baroque style that was popular in the rest of Catholic Europe at the time. That's probably because he studied at Rome)
you know the fun thing about Charpentier's Te Deum? The opening bit is all brass and kettledrums, which is the cavalry version of the infantry's familiar flutes and drums. The kettledrums would be hung one on either side of the horse.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nobody got the dog temple reference. :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

Why would we? I don't know what a dog temple is, and you should tell me/us about it :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tias posted:

Why would we? I don't know what a dog temple is, and you should tell me/us about it :allears:

I'm pretty sure you were reading the old thread when it was mentioned?

If I remember correctly, some missionaries ran into trouble because the locals saw religion as a sort of a contract, of the "I do a thing, deity does something in return" sort, and would temple-shop accordingly, resulting in many a frustrated missionary uttering "We lost another one to the dog temple"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
dog god dog god dog god DOG GOD DOG GOD DOG GOD

like sure technically the temple was to the entire family, and the dog died because it jumped into the graves with the rest of the family so they just buried it too, but the dog is the one who looks out for people the most. because he's a dog and dogs want people to be as happy as they are. dog god best god, what you doing christianity

maybe jesus should've been a shiba inu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure you were reading the old thread when it was mentioned?

If I remember correctly, some missionaries ran into trouble because the locals saw religion as a sort of a contract, of the "I do a thing, deity does something in return" sort, and would temple-shop accordingly, resulting in many a frustrated missionary uttering "We lost another one to the dog temple"

I have the attention span of a goldfish and will( gasp!) skip posts!

Aw man, that sounds awesome. Perhaps God is more like a noble dogge than we suspect!

• Locked thread