Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

Well this is one way to make repairing matter

Stupid. loving euro RPGs!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Especially since they didn't touch any of the surrounding issues.

I guess I'll just go all mage and never have to interact with the stupid system while melee gets hosed over for no real reason!

Also glad we made self-identification pretty much worthless since you now have to pay to identify things on your own so why even bother investing points into that?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think it makes sense when you factor in you can bash doors down. It happens so slowly in normal combat as to be trivial, but if you're gonna bash doors instead of solve puzzles or lockpick, then repairing should be the price there.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rascyc posted:

"An RPG's quality is measured in hours played, so put as many time-wasting subsystems into yours as humanly possible, and then add 10% more."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jastiger posted:

I think it makes sense when you factor in you can bash doors down. It happens so slowly in normal combat as to be trivial, but if you're gonna bash doors instead of solve puzzles or lockpick, then repairing should be the price there.

But you can bash doors with magic with literally 0 repair cost.

So it only really makes sense as a 'gently caress you' to melee for... realism? I guess?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Zore posted:

But you can bash doors with magic with literally 0 repair cost.

So it only really makes sense as a 'gently caress you' to melee for... realism? I guess?

Oh you can bash doors with magic? Well then derp lol.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zore posted:

Well this is one way to make repairing matter

Ugh. :barf:

Rascyc posted:

:agreed: MMO/Diablo time sinks are not "hardcore survival". No matter how often people fellate New Vegas's pausing the game to smash your a backpack full of dozen identical laser rifles together like a caveman.

Jastiger posted:

Oh you can bash doors with magic? Well then derp lol.

Yeah, I'm pretty used to/tired of "Realism means you need to obey my take on the laws of physics!" having an immeduate U-turn of "But Magic gets a pass, not my fault Magic isn't realistic! Enjoy my house rule not allowing you to knock out people with arrows while I still let people do it by setting people on fire with spells!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 19, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It's because fighters are jocks and must be punished.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Section Z posted:

No matter how often people fellate New Vegas's pausing the game to smash your a backpack full of dozen identical laser rifles together like a caveman.
I don't know, I really enjoyed that specific repair system.

...well, okay, one hundred percent because of that exact mental image :shobon:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know, I really enjoyed that specific repair system.

...well, okay, one hundred percent because of that exact mental image :shobon:

Well you're honest about how it actually works out, so that's perfectly okay :buddy:

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Well thats dumb, hopefully they just remove repairing before the game properly comes out. Although like the first game at worst it will be an annoyance that almost never comes up because you change equipment so fast.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Beat Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced edition earlier today.

-Source temple trial was too much bullshit button hunting, googled the shortcut.

Glad to see I made the right call when I neved did any of that.
Much props to Larian for making the whole mandatory "fake join the bad guys" bit optional.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I never really used magic to bash open chests. Usually there was a trap nearby I could use to blow open the chest.

Repairing is dumb and they should just remove it, I hated having to pause in co-op games to trade equipment to my character repair it and send it back.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Almost every locked chest in the game had a key. They were pretty good about letting you avoid bashing.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
About Durability:

Lar posted:

So - we keep on having discussions about durability and figured we'd throw it in the group and see what comes up.

We're open to try to remove it (and thus also the entire repairing mechanic) to see what it gives but before we do that we want to find something different that makes bashing open wooden doors & chests with weapons not the default option. The design is such that any way of opening a locked door or chest that doesn't involve the key has some type of cost.

If you bash open a wooden chest, you know you'll pay with durability. The cost here is that eventually that'll cause you to have to consume a repair hammer which has a gold value.

Obviously, you can choose to burn a chest (wooden objects have high resistances against other types of elemental damage), but then you have the risk that's what is inside will start burning. And if you burn a door, that takes time. Which, with the new reactivity mechanics, increases the risk that your crime will be discovered. Here the risk of discovery or loss is the cost.

And then there is lock picking. There the cost is that of the lock pick and the need to invest points in thievery.

We've got a couple of ideas but we'd be curious to hear what you guys think.

So it's not set in stone yet.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I almost went through the source temple trial without googling, but then after more than an hour at that awful room maze (the one with the hatches) I just said gently caress it

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The real cost of bashing open a chest is actually the time it takes to bash them open. Nobody cares about breakable loot when a majority of your loot is duplicated across other lootables, and most of the loot isn't very great in the first place. I think people care much more about the unknown than "what could have been?"

I mean the cost is already there, they are just trying to attach it to an in-game mechanic (gold) rather than looking at the bigger picture of what does it cost the person playing the game. Make the chests harder to break down and people will have more incentive to consider the alternatives. Alternatives like finding the key to a chest, which also uses time as its cost but that time is used a more engaged fashion for the player, or by allocating points to lock picking and picking the lock.

I wish developers would let go of their "gold is the cost!!!!" mentality when gold in nearly every RPG goes to infinity.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"The cost of this action should be a time tax of the player doing nothing interesting for some time" sounds like a really lovely idea ngl

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What was the source temple/trial? I don't even remember it at all so I don't know if my buddy and I looked it up. I guess we did because there was one room that was basically a square and a smaller square room in the center with pixel-hunt buttons to find that I got frustrated with and looked up. Is that it? What were we doing there? When was that?

I literally don't remember the plot beyond investigating a murder and then an ancient evil is actually super evil and your characters' twist.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What was the source temple/trial? I don't even remember it at all so I don't know if my buddy and I looked it up. I guess we did because there was one room that was basically a square and a smaller square room in the center with pixel-hunt buttons to find that I got frustrated with and looked up. Is that it? What were we doing there? When was that?

I literally don't remember the plot beyond investigating a murder and then an ancient evil is actually super evil and your characters' twist.

Its by the end, the temple in Phantom Forest, I think is the second to last dungeon in the game.

Big one, full of puzzles

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I think voting on the trees is a mistake. We have 7 magic trees, 1 str tree, and 2 finesse tree. Those two magic trees voted in shouldn't be in, they should be replaced to create more stat diversity.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I didn't think about it like that at the time but that is a good point. IIRC i still voted for the fist one because punching stuff is cool. Strength getting one more school would even things out alot and would be nice.

Multiclassing does seem a lot easier in 2 though, which makes most of the schools being one stat a bit less of an issue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ninjewtsu posted:

"The cost of this action should be a time tax of the player doing nothing interesting for some time" sounds like a really lovely idea ngl
Ya maybe they could just re-purpose the bodybuilding stat and use that for bashing open chests much like lock picking

Either way you look at it: repairing equipment, id'ing items, bashing chests repeatedly, etc is one gigantic time tax. I don't think any rpg studio will ever get money under control without eliminating it entirely so the idea of creating money-penalties is lost on me.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

What skill trees got voted in anyway? I think I recall polymorph being one of them. You could probably make an argument for that one being based on str, I dunno

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

TWIST FIST posted:

What skill trees got voted in anyway? I think I recall polymorph being one of them. You could probably make an argument for that one being based on str, I dunno

Polymorph is an int tree about making your body do weird things. Summon Master is the other one voted in.

The ones not voted in are: Juggernaut, Sentinel, Trap Master, Bard, Alchemist, Unarmed Combat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I meant that it should be based on str

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

About Durability:

So it's not set in stone yet.

I hope durability and repairing get straight-up removed.

If anyone is posting bug reports and feedback on the Larian forums, please tell them this.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hmm. Maybe they could remove the durability mechanic, but add a small experience bonus for opening a chest or a door with a key or a lockpick.
People may waste their time bashing a door with a sword, but they will lose that precious exp.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rascyc posted:

Ya maybe they could just re-purpose the bodybuilding stat and use that for bashing open chests much like lock picking

Either way you look at it: repairing equipment, id'ing items, bashing chests repeatedly, etc is one gigantic time tax. I don't think any rpg studio will ever get money under control without eliminating it entirely so the idea of creating money-penalties is lost on me.
I mean, money is poo poo. So it should be removed completely, and then loot can be melted down into components that you use to craft if you want THAT awful poo poo in your game or just trashed altogether if you don't. But the Larian dudes are traditionalists, so we gotta have money.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Money is fine as long as there is always worthwhile stuff to spend it on, which rpgs rarely manage. The early access version of 2 seemed to do alright with it what with the many expensive skillbooks and that skeleton that sold you really strong poo poo but it will probably spiral out of control in the second and third acts like the first game did.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

a skill tree named Juggernaut is not getting put in the game?? this is a travesty

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hmm. Maybe they could remove the durability mechanic, but add a small experience bonus for opening a chest or a door with a key or a lockpick.
People may waste their time bashing a door with a sword, but they will lose that precious exp.

Not a bad idea.

I've also liked the idea of bashing a chest having a chance to damage its contents. It makes investing in lockpicking valuable but not TOO valuable.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I like that idea, but I think it would encourage savescumming unless they could somehow safeguard against that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I like that idea, but I think it would encourage savescumming unless they could somehow safeguard against that.

Any saves made within the last ten minutes of that opened chest all get immediately seeded with that chest's destroyed item, and is creation timestamped and hashed, so you can't copy a savegame outside the savefolder and replace it. :colbert:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

could just attach a seed to every chest on game start so no save scumming

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

could just attach a seed to every chest on game start so no save scumming

Yeah, then you can get crazy folks who savescum the start of the game until they get optimal chests. Isn't that a common nethack strategy?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

savescumming a game back to the beginning because a chest 10 hrs in doesnt have what you want?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

savescumming a game back to the beginning because a chest 10 hrs in doesnt have what you want?

You literally just described the smallest, but most vocal, playerbase of an rpg.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

drgnvale posted:

Yeah, then you can get crazy folks who savescum the start of the game until they get optimal chests. Isn't that a common nethack strategy?

That is fine. Let crazy people do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Drifter posted:

You literally just described the smallest, but most vocal, playerbase of an rpg.

yeah what golden goat said: let them do it