Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hello, and welcome to the thread about Tiger Mask!

No, not that guy.

This guy!

Tiger Mask was originally a manga from 1968 written by Ikki Kajiwara, who also wrote Ashita no Joe. It was about Naoto Date, an orphaned child who was kidnapped by the evil Tiger organization to train in their mysterious Tiger hole to be the most evil wrestler on the planet. After making tons of money in the US, he returns to Japan and becomes a good guy after a child tells him he wants to be like him when he grows up. He has an arch-rival BLACK TIGER (portrayed in real life by Eddie Guerrero, among others).

Tiger Mask is extremely popular. It's so popular in fact that there are several actual real life wrestlers that use his name. We're currently on either Tiger IV or V depending on who you ask. It's complicated. Two of the Tiger Masks, Satoru Sayama and Mitsuharu Misawa are two of the best professional wrestlers of all time.

So here we are! Tiger Mask W (pronounced "double") is the big reboot of the series with all new characters, with two exceptions, Mr. X is the leader of the Tiger Hole from the old series, and Kentaro Takaoka was Naoto Date's best friend from the original series. (Both have their original VAs from the original show!) It's about Naoto Azuma, who takes on the role of Tiger Mask to defeat the Tiger Hole and Takuma Fuji, who takes on the role of Black Tiger to destroy the Tiger Hole from the inside. There are even real life wrestlers involved! The original Tiger Mask featured such greats as Giant Baba, Terry Funk, Dory Funk, Jr., Stan Hansen and Antonio Inoki, among others. This Tiger Mask will feature New Japan Pro Wrestling stars like Kazuchika Okada and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Look forward to Tiger Mask W!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0BEkwQQuJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttndwyst-Xo

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Fun fact: they still show reruns of the original show on TV in Japan, it's that beloved.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

is king from tekken inspired by tiger mask?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

he is

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rip misawa

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think this might be the first Tiger Mask anime actually translated into English

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

What a hosed up world we live in.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

is ki-

oh well there you go

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

And Armour King is rippe... I mean inspired by Black Tiger.

Hell, most of the Tekken cast is lifted from elsewhere.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This show will hold a Super No Vacancy in my heart.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Kazhuchika Okada ftw.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Justice, at last, Tiger Mask stuff comes to English

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:aaa:

I never knew this existed but its light is shining down on me like a savior descending from the heavens

I will be watching this.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

Crunchyroll has announced the addition of Tiger Mask W to its fall 2016 anime lineup. This reboot of Ikki Kajiwara and Naoki Tsuji's classic pro-wrestling manga from the late 1960s to early 70s features plenty of remarkable voice talents, including real wrestlers, along with 79-year-old Hidekatsu Shibata reprising his role as Mister X.

Look for the series starting on Saturday, October 1st at 12:45PM PDT (Saturday).

:cheerdoge:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nice

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This looks like its entirely my poo poo. Probably goes without saying, but I don't need to know anything about the past manga/anime to enjoy this reboot, right?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

mabels big day posted:

This looks like its entirely my poo poo. Probably goes without saying, but I don't need to know anything about the past manga/anime to enjoy this reboot, right?

Tiger hole bad, tiger mask good

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I liked it.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Episode 1 was ok, the fights were super budget so I'm hoping that improves over time but I'm willing to try a few episodes. Seems like standard shonen/wrestling but it could be fun while being that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dude this show is the greatest loving thing I have ever seen. Best of the fall season for me.

Wrestling is loving real, let's all be big stars.:thumbsup:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Great first episode, want more, need more.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

EGSunBro posted:

Episode 1 was ok, the fights were super budget so I'm hoping that improves over time but I'm willing to try a few episodes. Seems like standard shonen/wrestling but it could be fun while being that.

Its Toei. I'm amazed they animated as much as they did.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

tiger mask W wrestled his first match last night and it was apparently kota ibushi lmao

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I liked Black Python's wrestling gear.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This looks entirely my poo poo, i'll check it out sometime mid-season probably but how's the anima-

Pewdiepie posted:

Its Toei. I'm amazed they animated as much as they did.

Well, expectations on animation have been lowered appropriately.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Super No Vacancy posted:

tiger mask W wrestled his first match last night and it was apparently kota ibushi lmao

Kota Ibushi is so great, god drat

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That intro looks like an edgy Hanna Barbara cartoon.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Can I just say how much King of the Wild has grown on me as an ending theme? I could listen to that for months.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

This anime is badass. Wrestling danger room ftw

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
BILLY THE KIDMAN

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Episode four was amazing! It's pretty easy to cheer for Tiger Mask when his opponents are such dirty fucks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I have no idea how Red Death Mask got away with crushing people's skulls to mush in America.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tiger the Dark is now a Pokémon

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This was a really weird episode, the weird Tiger the Dark photoshoot scene, the weird long breakfast scene, everything with the idols, Gorilla Jeet Singh, it was all so strange.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did they get some amateurs to voice the idols because wtf was with their voices.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Did they get some amateurs to voice the idols because wtf was with their voices.

Well, it is Toei

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

The Idols are actual Idols and voiced themselves.

Episode was definitely a weird one, but I still enjoyed it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Am I the only one still watching this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Am I the only one still watching this

I forgot about it. Maybe I'll watch what I've missed one day.

• Locked thread