Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
This show came on tonight! I think it will air Wednesdays at 7pm central on Fox.

Damon Wayans Senior is somehow 56 playing a 50-year old Murtaugh with a newborn baby and a heart monitor that threatens death if he gets too excited during a car chase or shootout or argument with the hard-rear end captain. He gets a blowjob in the first 5 minutes.

Clayne Crawford is Riggs, I've never heard of him, but he was on Rectify which I've always heard good things about and never watched. Anyways, he does fine with some really out of tone dark turns and scenes.

Kevin Rahm is their exasperated captain who will pull them off every case and yell at them, and take their badge and guns and get his rear end chewed out by the mayor. He was great as Chaough in Mad Men, and I already greatly enjoy his character.

Jordana Brewster is a doctor of some sort that might help Riggs get over his tragedy. There's a coroner/forensic scientist of some sort that is nicknamed "Scorsese" because he wrote a script once. Mrs. Murtaugh is also very kind and is some sort of defense attorney or works to exonerate those accused, but they only allude to vaguely unless I missed something.

There are an impressive number of gunfights and action sequences here, and I'm along for the ride if they're able to keep up this pace for a 24 episode season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This show was really fun and Clayne Crawford was really good in a way different role on Rectify so it was nice to see a different side of him here.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pet Rock Band posted:

Damon Wayans Senior is somehow 56 playing a 50-year old Murtaugh with a newborn baby and a heart monitor that threatens death if he gets too excited during a car chase or shootout or argument with the hard-rear end captain. He gets a blowjob in the first 5 minutes.

Err no he doesn't!

Decent show though, fun partnership, bit of comedy bit of action, what's not to like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Poorly written and the action scenes were a little over the top (car chase leading into a grand prix race?), but I'll take a buddy-cop show over Survivor and Big Brother any day of the week.

Pet Rock Band posted:

Clayne Crawford is Riggs, I've never heard of him, but he was on Rectify which I've always heard good things about and never watched. Anyways, he does fine with some really out of tone dark turns and scenes
He was in the 'The Perfect Host' with David Hyde Pierce, worth renting (or streaming on Amazon)

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Between Damon Wayans Sr/Jr and Ice Cube and his son I can kind of understand why cops love shooting black guys so much, it's really all just about stopping their clone army attempts.

Real talk though this is the typical Fox show bullshit. A handful of good things surrounded by a heaping load of poo poo. I'd be shocked if this even got to air its full season.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's mindless buddy cop stuff, and a fairly decent remake/reboot of Lethal Weapon. It's not trying to be The Wire.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
The only real complaint I have is they are acting like cell phones aren't much of a thing to get the actors in the same room. Kid has been kidnapped by the bad guys? I'm not gonna give Murtaugh even the slightest heads-up until he comes over to my trailer!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Enderzero posted:

The only real complaint I have is they are acting like cell phones aren't much of a thing to get the actors in the same room. Kid has been kidnapped by the bad guys? I'm not gonna give Murtaugh even the slightest heads-up until he comes over to my trailer!

Uh, wasn't Riggs planning to go it alone anyway? to the extent of handcuffing Murtaugh to the trailer when he tried to come along? so why would he be phoning him up to tell him all about it?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Wandle Cax posted:

Uh, wasn't Riggs planning to go it alone anyway? to the extent of handcuffing Murtaugh to the trailer when he tried to come along? so why would he be phoning him up to tell him all about it?
Yeah, but the bad guys kidnapped the kid instead of just phoning up and asking him to kidnap himself.
And then Riggs went to rescue him instead of phoning the bad guys and asking them to give him back - this is especially silly because once he got there he just asked them to give him back.

And in the end nothing really changed except some bad guys were dead, so they might as well have just done the whole thing over the phone, just phoned them up and told them to die.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was I the only person who thought it was kind of an odd choice to have the one bad guy die almost exactly the same way as Riggs's wife? When it happened I thought maybe they'd address it with like at least a single line of dialog, but nope.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 23, 2016

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Wandle Cax posted:

True, although why even tell Murtaugh about the kidnapping then? It's not a big deal, just a noticeable contrivance to get the plot where it's going.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I thought the first ep was fine; some of the action is a little goofy, but I can dig it.

I just hope that they recreate the greatest scene in cinematic history: When Murtaugh sits on a bomb-rigged toilet.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

LadyPictureShow posted:

I thought the first ep was fine; some of the action is a little goofy, but I can dig it.

I just hope that they recreate the greatest scene in cinematic history: When Murtaugh sits on a bomb-rigged toilet.

....except this time, the bomb is in his CELL PHONE.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

I'm calling that Murtaugh's daughter won't be famous in a sexy commercial - this time it will be a vine video that goes viral.

Also, have this, thread-

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

It would be great if somebody from Always Sunny gets a cameo in this.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Loved tonight's episode. Scorsese was hilarious, also the multiple fake outs in the cold open.

I guess they're just going full throttle and making half an action movie per week. McG directed again, and love or hate him, he has a cinematic flair.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Just watched the pilot last night. I'm honestly shocked this show isn't irredeemably terrible like I honestly expected it to be. I quite enjoyed it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Q_res posted:

Just watched the pilot last night. I'm honestly shocked this show isn't irredeemably terrible like I honestly expected it to be. I quite enjoyed it.

It's a procedural on Fox, take nothing for granted. This show could turn poo poo literally at any moment.

That was a very weird Jason Derulo cameo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Didn't know that was Jason Derulo.

I liked this episode. I think against all odds, they've got a decent show on their hands.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KinkyJohn posted:

It would be great if somebody from Always Sunny gets a cameo in this.

Maybe an episode focusing on a shady bartender that is trying to add to his collection of skin luggage.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Who was Jason DeRulo?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

try the new taco place posted:

Who was Jason DeRulo?

The boxer.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Good explosions.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That episode was dope. Ridiculous, but in a great way. Also it felt like it was referencing the Eddie Murphy/Tommy Lee Jones movie Showtime.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I missed the first ep because I expected it to be terrible but watched the 2nd after positive goon feedback and wasn't disappointed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I made some comments in the gen-chat thread about how they haven't mentioned any martial arts background for Riggs in the show. I'm pretty much okay with that. But I do notice they put some really slick little bits into some of the fight/chase choreography, which is kind of way better than having him do ridiculous kicks and stuff as a gimmick. In the second episode, there's a bit where he's running and he take a guy out just by stepping behind his leg and should checking him and it's really seamless and fluid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was at a friend's house tonight and was telling him about how much I surprisingly enjoyed this show and decided to buy the first episode on iTunes to show him and was surprised to see it was extended a few minutes, including dropping an uncensored "motherfucker" during the bank heist scene. I wonder if other episodes are being shot with extended versions in mind.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I am transfixed by Riggs' hair.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Riggs eating breakfast is my favorite eating I've seen in any show. It rings perfectly true as an alcoholic bachelor breakfast.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Snak posted:

Riggs eating breakfast is my favorite eating I've seen in any show. It rings perfectly true as an alcoholic bachelor breakfast.

This show makes me so hungry. Also weed is cool. And I dug Buffalo Bill Ted Levine showing up!!!!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

This show got a full season pickup!!!

The episode tonight was a little more lowkey, but I still mostly love the character stuff.

The barbershop scenes are pretty odd to see soon after/compare to Luke Cage.

Also, in further Riggs-Eating-Stuff, he apparently loves the baby food.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I'm surprised at how not-terrible this show is. Even this last episode, which I think was the weakest so far, was completely watchable.

I can only assume fox will gently caress it up somehow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I rewatched Lethal Weapon before starting this show. The new Riggs has a lot of old Riggs mannerisms, and the way he banters. He's pretty great.

Kwatz
Aug 14, 2008

Gawain The Blind posted:

I'm surprised at how not-terrible this show is. Even this last episode, which I think was the weakest so far, was completely watchable.

I can only assume fox will gently caress it up somehow.

Agreed. But hopefully it'll end up more like Lucifer rather than Sleepy Hollow

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The actor playing Murtaugh is doing such a fantastic job, he's to this show what Lucifer is to Lucifer. Loved this last episode.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

try the new taco place posted:

Also, in further Riggs-Eating-Stuff, he apparently loves the baby food.
THat was a thing in the movies as well

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just watched the first episode today. It feels a bit like watching LA Takedown after having seen Heat, but at least a schlocky action series is quite refreshing after all the prestige drama everyone is trying to make. Will definitely become the go-to show when I'm out of stuff to watch.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched the first episode today. It feels a bit like watching LA Takedown after having seen Heat, but at least a schlocky action series is quite refreshing after all the prestige drama everyone is trying to make. Will definitely become the go-to show when I'm out of stuff to watch.
Rush Hour is approximately the same show, though Lethal Weapon has used charmingly suicidal instead of charmingly straight-laced, which is probably more relatable.

vvvv Sure, Lethal Weapon is mostly just better. Rush Hour is fine too though, as a schlocky action series, and came first - pointing it out as "refreshing after all the prestige drama", and a month or two before Lethal Weapon started. :)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 17, 2016

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Also the characters and their relationship are much better in Lethal Weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

Rush Hour sucked and their leads had the charisma of a dead moth

• Locked thread