Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What is a Designated Survivor?
In the United States, a designated survivor (or designated successor) is an individual in the presidential line of succession, usually a member of the United States Cabinet, who is arranged to be at a physically distant, secure, and undisclosed location when the President and the country's other top leaders (e.g., Vice President and Cabinet members) are gathered at a single location, such as during State of the Union addresses and presidential inaugurations. This is intended to guarantee continuity of government in the event of a catastrophic occurrence that kills the President and many officials in the presidential line of succession. If such an event would occur, killing both the President and Vice President, the surviving official highest in the line, possibly the designated survivor, would become the Acting President of the United States under the Presidential Succession Act.[1]

What is the TV show Designated Survivor?
The above thing happens to Jack Bauer.

This show is good, and though it relies on cliches to get things rolling in the beginning (especially with the kids and the featured General), shows a lot of promise. Who liked it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here are some things people in the Couch Chat thread have said about Designated Survivor

X-O posted:

Designated Survivor was good.

Holyshoot posted:

Calling it now. This guy is a mole or helped the bombing somehow.

Kraps posted:

Designated Survivor was pretty good except for that ridiculous general. Yes, what the country needs at that moment is a coup, genius. Why don't shows know how to write loyal opposition instead of retarded idiots?

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the show. I'll watch Kiefer Sutherland in anything that has to do with terrorism, political intrigue and conspiracies.

But I have no patience left in my body for the ages old "main character's child acts like a goddamn moron" trope, and it looks like we're going to be forcefed that in spades on this show. I despise child actors 999 times out of 1,000. I don't care if they're 5 or 15 years old.

Retail Slave posted:

Designated Survivor was really good and everyone should watch it.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Hope this General and Aid plot to get rid of the president doesn't last long. I'd rather they figure out who did the bombing. I'm guessing it will probably be an inside job and no one foreign.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great first episode, really enjoyable. And unlike Jack Bauer, Kiefer pronounced "nuclear" correctly! Loved that scene with the briefcase.

"Does it need an eye scan or thumbprint?"
"That's only in movies"

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 22, 2016

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Top bit:

"It's ok, we're all feeling it"
"Thank you ma'am"
"Alex, please"
"Uh no, ma'am, you're the first lady"

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Man, DC seemed pretty chill in the wake of that. People just hanging in bars, an un-evacuated White House ... I guess everyone at that rave-thing didn't get texts or poo poo from their friends about the capitol literally blowing up?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Binary Logic posted:

Great first episode, really enjoyable. And unlike Jack Bauer, Kiefer pronounced "nuclear" correctly! Loved that scene with the briefcase.

"Does it need an eye scan or thumbprint?"
"That's only in movies"

I loved the complete unease on Tom's face when he heard that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

Man, DC seemed pretty chill in the wake of that. People just hanging in bars, an un-evacuated White House ... I guess everyone at that rave-thing didn't get texts or poo poo from their friends about the capitol literally blowing up?

We got one line that was like "The White House is secure", which seemed to be just hand-waving for the viewers to know why they were going to set the rest of the scenes in the White House. It's especially concerning because I just read a 9/11 report in one of the threads here that said the Secret Service deemed the White House/Washington D.C. in general to be the least safe place for the President after a major terrorist attack. Whatever, I'll forgive it.

The show has a lot of dangerous tropes to avoid that will make me (and most likely TVIV at large) stop watching completely: Family drama involving the teenage son (I could see him sneaking out and causing trouble), the coup poo poo lasting longer than next episode, a crazy predictable inside-job plot involving moles that the main characters are too dumb to see, etc. Unfortunately it's on ABC where their target audience eats that poo poo up, so there's going to be a lot of disappointment here if they ruin a good premise and fairly strong start by pandering to ABC's core demographic.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I think a part of it is that this looks like an expensive show, and another set for the first episode where they're in a secure location would be expensive. Plus, guy in bunker just doesn't have that visual impact like the oval office does.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
The first episode was ABC as hell but I'll give it a shot because it's a decent premise and maybe Kiefer will yell at someone again and it will be cool.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So was that dud bomb a patsy to make them think it was ISIS or some other Arab country that did it?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Kraps posted:

Top bit:

"It's ok, we're all feeling it"
"Thank you ma'am"
"Alex, please"
"Uh no, ma'am, you're the first lady"

I'm partial to,
"We would like to offer you an ambassadorship to the International Civil Aviation Organization."
"Are you serious? Was the chairman of the International House of Pancakes unavailable?"

Holyshoot posted:

So was that dud bomb a patsy to make them think it was ISIS or some other Arab country that did it?

Sure seemed that way. It'd be pretty loving difficult to blow up a building as big as the capital building with old Russian anti-tank mines. They're not really designed for big explosions. They're designed to either blow tracks off or blow holes in the bottom of tanks, which require shaped charges and specific blast patterns. The destruction pictured would have required a shitload of IEDs. Even if you were just using them to trigger a bigger explosion, there are far better ways to do that. It also being a dud certainly doesn't seem like a coincidence. Of course, this does seem like a clumsy way to finger someone, as evidenced by Maggie Q being immediately suspicious.

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 22, 2016

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
Like the op said the show is super duper cliche but somehow I couldn't look away. Like the minute the preview for the show came out I was excited for the idea of the show and I really hope it finds good steam and irons out a lot of the over-the-top elements.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It just wouldn't be a Kiefer Sutherland terrorism vehicle if it didn't have at least 6 moles per season.

Hopefully the federal government in this universe has stricter hiring practices than CTU did for every single season of 24.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'll be disappointed in this show if Kiefer doesn't rage out on that general and make all the white house staffers cower in fear.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Never watched 24 but I really like this. Other than stupid general. Also from previews looks like him being "fired" is gonna come out publicly pretty soon too

Enjoyed Kiefer badassing out on the Iranian ambassador too

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Never watched 24 but I really like this. Other than stupid general. Also from previews looks like him being "fired" is gonna come out publicly pretty soon too

Enjoyed Kiefer badassing out on the Iranian ambassador too

What was cool was that it was obvious Kiefer wasn't Bauering it. He was holding it together and coming off as a credible threat, but his character's natural timidity and aversion to conflict was in there too. When he lets out that big breath of air, it's obvious he was holding it in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah he played that scene great. After they left the room he looked completely exhausted and relieved.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to because of the unrealistic BS like whisking them to the White House right away and DC not grinding to a hault, etc. But there were good parts too so hopefully now that the main event is over so to speak, they'll get back on the believable train.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah, I feel like if Tom Clancy were still around, even he would've thought that rushing Kiefer back to the West Wing would have been "too much".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My concern is how they deal with the family stuff. After watching FlashForward and Last Resort, I don't have patience for ABC-mandated family drama subplots.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Echo Chamber posted:

My concern is how they deal with the family stuff. After watching FlashForward and Last Resort, I don't have patience for ABC-mandated family drama subplots.

yeah, that son dealing drugs plotline is not going to be entertaining.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to because of the unrealistic BS like whisking them to the White House right away and DC not grinding to a hault, etc. But there were good parts too so hopefully now that the main event is over so to speak, they'll get back on the believable train.

On reflection, this is a good point. Maybe they were budget limited, but if this were the West Wing there'd be a much better portrayal of chaos and disarray after such an event. They could have spaced out the response to the attack a bit more, but in the first episode the FBI agent goes from a bar to a fully set up FBI investigation tent at ground zero in about half an hour. No mention of airports being shut down across the nation. No national guard being mobilized.

Also, as was mentioned, :lol: at all the raver kids (are raves still a thing? I'm old) not realizing that the arguably greatest attack on American soil just happened. I guess they were too busy doing their drugs and listening to their dubwave or whatever.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I loved how the lead secret service guy bullshitted the kid about how they found him ("NSA started an op center and ran your social media data through a PRISM filter etc;etc") and the kid was like "Really?" and he responded "No you stupid gently caress. We pinged your phone."

It's just showing us a sneak preview of how truly idiotic that kid is going to be this season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The kid is doomed to be a heel to anything of interest, these kinds of shows never ever do teenagers well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This was surprisingly fun to watch despite the cliches. General McWardrums is annoying as hell but Kevin McNally is acting his rear end off and clearly enjoying it. But I can't help but wonder how the hell did someone smuggle a bunch of Russian land mines into the Capitol building. That alone screams "coup" but even still, you'd need everyone in on it, FBI, Secret Service, Capitol Police, Military. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
All hail President Bauer!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

wormil posted:

This was surprisingly fun to watch despite the cliches. General McWardrums is annoying as hell but Kevin McNally is acting his rear end off and clearly enjoying it. But I can't help but wonder how the hell did someone smuggle a bunch of Russian land mines into the Capitol building. That alone screams "coup" but even still, you'd need everyone in on it, FBI, Secret Service, Capitol Police, Military. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

I'm assuming the plot will (and should) go the way of "no way a few old Russian landmines did this to the Capitol. We know after the original WTC attacks and the Oklahoma City bombing that this kind of destruction can only come from thousands of pounds of explosives; a truck or van bomb..."

This doesn't negate the possibility of the attack being an inside job though (it would probably make it more likely). Honestly, I'm pretty interested in what road this show takes, there are a lot of possibilities.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I assumed that was the significance of her argument when talking about the lack of chatter among known terror groups, it's not terrorism. Either it's an inside job or some other nation really did make an offensive move for whatever reason.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As it stands now the main mystery is if it was a Super Secret Black Ops division of the government or the WaterBlack PMC that blew up the Capitol and committed high treason.

It's Peter Outerbridge, he's always up to no good and too drat good to waste on two minutes of screentime

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The concept got me to watch the premier but I feel like the pilot didn't really explore that concept very well. Consequences seem to be missing, the emotional impact of the situation only hits the main characters while everyone else seems to be only mildly inconvenienced, and there's a lot of focus on the things I feel are the least interesting aspects of the scenario. It's a pilot, though, and I'm going to give the show a few weeks to find its feet. I suspect that I'm not going to last very long with the show, though.

FWIW, most of my big concerns have already been voiced in this thread: the fact that the general public isn't disrupted by a major attack, the most comically over the top general since Dr. Strangelove, terrible family drama, how things progressed in two hours when it would take days to sort out the basic things (days of sorting out that would be dramatically interesting, too).

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Pretty cool that this is on Netflix in Australia week by week.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

I assumed that was the significance of her argument when talking about the lack of chatter among known terror groups, it's not terrorism. Either it's an inside job or some other nation really did make an offensive move for whatever reason.

She said their was a lack of chatter because they are going to attack more. You don't claim an attack until after you're done.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Random Stranger posted:

The concept got me to watch the premier but I feel like the pilot didn't really explore that concept very well. Consequences seem to be missing, the emotional impact of the situation only hits the main characters while everyone else seems to be only mildly inconvenienced, and there's a lot of focus on the things I feel are the least interesting aspects of the scenario. It's a pilot, though, and I'm going to give the show a few weeks to find its feet. I suspect that I'm not going to last very long with the show, though.

FWIW, most of my big concerns have already been voiced in this thread: the fact that the general public isn't disrupted by a major attack, the most comically over the top general since Dr. Strangelove, terrible family drama, how things progressed in two hours when it would take days to sort out the basic things (days of sorting out that would be dramatically interesting, too).

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I am loving Kiefer's take on Kirkman but everything else has the stink of a network show doomed to mediocrity or worse.

I've probably watched too much of The West Wing (to enjoy this show, that is) but I'm genuinely upset that there are people working in the high echelons of government who want a military coup d'etat. It's more cartoonish to me than anything else in the show, honestly. It just tells me that the writers are not approaching this from the right place, or rather, the way I would want them to approach it. And that Tom Clancy situation room was just :wtf: I think it would've served the show better to have it be the actual more intimate and plain war room.

Also the teenage boy subplot needs to be shot into the sun at first opportunity.

Good things: Kal Penn's character Seth who went from a freaked out moron ("maybe the CIA director should be in charge?!") to actually having a bit of faith in Kirkman ("That's why there's a designated survivor, dumbass"). I hope he's the convert-into-stalwart-ally guy.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 23, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
It's basically Tom Clancy's Executive Order the TV show without having the actual rights to the IP.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

AbsolutelySane posted:

Sure seemed that way. It'd be pretty loving difficult to blow up a building as big as the capital building with old Russian anti-tank mines.

The US Capital is 175,170 sqft with a floor area of over 1.5 million sqft and it was shown to be completely destroyed in one explosion, that's like nuke level, you can't smuggle that much high explosives into the capital.

I'm willing to let this go because I thought the first episode was overall good but I would really like a good explanation as for how the Capital could be completely destroyed in an explosion that doesn't involve D.C. itself being evacuated.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Antti posted:

...but I'm genuinely upset that there are people working in the high echelons of government who want a military coup d'etat. It's more cartoonish to me than anything else in the show, honestly.

Given the situation, talk of a coup wouldn't surprise me. I'm disappointed the military is once again the default bad guy.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Three Olives posted:

The US Capital is 175,170 sqft with a floor area of over 1.5 million sqft and it was shown to be completely destroyed in one explosion, that's like nuke level, you can't smuggle that much high explosives into the capital.

I'm willing to let this go because I thought the first episode was overall good but I would really like a good explanation as for how the Capital could be completely destroyed in an explosion that doesn't involve D.C. itself being evacuated.

Look it was a smart bomb.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wormil posted:

Given the situation, talk of a coup wouldn't surprise me. I'm disappointed the military is once again the default bad guy.

Yeah. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the show exploring the possibility of a coup or separatist movements in the US where some of the states refuse to recognize the new president. But a general seizing power wouldn't just go, "Grr! I'm evil and I want to just go shoot at another country an hour after everyone in the legislative branch and the heads of all of the executive branch save one were killed!" Which is just as absurd as Iran having their fleet standing by waiting to launch at a moment's notice when something bad happens in the US.

How did an army general order the air force and navy to attack anyway? Not to go all "tactical realism" on the show, but following the challenges of transitioning every major government position simultaneously is what's intriguing about the concept and the show just glossed over a significant problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Three Olives posted:

That's why I'm assuming that they didn't actually blow it up with anti-tank mines, but left one (or several) as red herrings. It does point to an inside job, because who else would be able to smuggle a big bomb into the building. Not sure how you'd hide it. I'm sure there will be a perfectly unsatisfying explanation for it eventually.

Also, why in the world would you pick the guy you're about to fire as the designated survivor? I mean, I guess you could argue that no one took it seriously, but I'd think you'd have the Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense draw straws or something.

I also kept thinking the Chief of Staff was actually the President, since he played that part in one of the National Treasures movies.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the show exploring the possibility of a coup or separatist movements in the US where some of the states refuse to recognize the new president. But a general seizing power wouldn't just go, "Grr! I'm evil and I want to just go shoot at another country an hour after everyone in the legislative branch and the heads of all of the executive branch save one were killed!" Which is just as absurd as Iran having their fleet standing by waiting to launch at a moment's notice when something bad happens in the US.

How did an army general order the air force and navy to attack anyway? Not to go all "tactical realism" on the show, but following the challenges of transitioning every major government position simultaneously is what's intriguing about the concept and the show just glossed over a significant problem.

He's not even one of the Joint Chiefs, I think. Of course, he could be the highest ranking surviving officer and just decided that made him Supreme Commander during the crisis. Still, it is pretty cartoony. It reminds me of the C&C Red Alert FMV scenes for some reason, although there's less Ray Wise.

• Locked thread