Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Shoving a towel down someone's throat and then yanking it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The "But he was fired!" thing is so stupid. Someone above him decided that he was good enough to be the Designated Survivor. That's all that should matter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Arresting the dude for treason is hardly the nuclear option. The nuclear option would be "Fine, if the state of Michigan no longer wishes to participate as a part of the US, citizens of Michigan will need Michigan passports to enter the US. We'll start on trade talks next year to establish terms, and I'm tasking ICE with setting up border patrol stations on all major freeways into and out of Michigan. Oh and if you prevent US citizens from leaving Michigan that's an act of war. Enjoy your frozen hellhole when shipments of gas, oil, and coal stop showing up and we shut down the pipeline."

Realistic? No. But neither is blowing up the Capitol when the State of the Union is taking place.
One is unrealistic in terms of capability though, the other in terms of motivation. There's no reason at all to collectively punish the people of a state for the actions of their governor, especially in a fashion that leaves the people you were trying to protect at the mercy of the guy you're actually mad at. Calling it the nuclear option is perfectly fine, in terms of the political effect. It's an extremely drastic action meant to intimidate every other governor, with serious risk of blowback. I'm hoping this is just the first step on his path to becoming the American Stalin, as he demolishes his enemies and entire neighborhoods and remakes them under his secular-God-given mandate to create housing for the people and develop safer urban areas for all Americans.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why "suspend the rights of American citizens, arrest people for skin color, and deport Muslims" was something the governor was okay with and encouraged being televised, but "detain all the protesters" was off limits for him.
I think the idea was that it'd be on national TV, and feature people in military uniforms doing it, which would have much worse optics than the police "arresting unlawful protesters". I mean, it'd create some clear parallels with areas under US occupation, which probably isn't a great look for a governor.

ymgve posted:

The "But he was fired!" thing is so stupid. Someone above him decided that he was good enough to be the Designated Survivor. That's all that should matter.
You could say that about real life talking points too, and yet people keep harping on about stupid poo poo, and this is a way tenser situation which is much more easily exploited for political gain. I could totally see a Republican governor questioning this whole thing, with the argument that "Kirkman was unelected, and only chosen as designated survivor because no one took seriously the threat of Radical Islamist Terrorists". Have to consider too that any restraints on this guy might have been blown up with Congress, both psychologically and socially. Like, he could have dozens of friends and respected "superiors" that got blown up, which could cause him to swing even harder right because of both the sheer trauma of it, and because no one is there to tell him to cool it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

A Buttery Pastry posted:

One is unrealistic in terms of capability though, the other in terms of motivation. There's no reason at all to collectively punish the people of a state for the actions of their governor, especially in a fashion that leaves the people you were trying to protect at the mercy of the guy you're actually mad at. Calling it the nuclear option is perfectly fine, in terms of the political effect. It's an extremely drastic action meant to intimidate every other governor, with serious risk of blowback. I'm hoping this is just the first step on his path to becoming the American Stalin, as he demolishes his enemies and entire neighborhoods and remakes them under his secular-God-given mandate to create housing for the people and develop safer urban areas for all Americans.

I guess the way I see it is, when the National Guard became the Michigan State Guard, it also went from being a rogue governor to an armed insurrection. The response to that by definition has to be fairly extreme - at that point, there is a de facto threaten of violence to defend what it (the state) perceives as its interests. Whether or not that is representative of the population, it's a matter of gamesmanship in how you respond. Hell, by jailing the governor for treason, the state could assume that as an act of war and the Lt. Governor would be authorized in use of force against the US.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It would have been interesting to draw out the Michigan situation and explore the non-violent options available to the president. I probably wouldn't have handled it well as my inclination would have been to send Apaches from a nearby state and have them hover over the governor as he attempted to make his speech.

ymgve posted:

Come on, for 7 years we've been hearing nonsense about birth certificates. It is stupid, but real life is stupid because the media and politicians pander to the lowest common denominator.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This show is poo poo, the plots are bad, the actors (except Kiefer) are bad, the family is bad, the staff is bad, I don't care if those two pretty people are gonna gently caress, and I don't care who blew up what.

Also, this show is on Netflix, why the gently caress can't I binge watch?

Sucks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I guess the way I see it is, when the National Guard became the Michigan State Guard, it also went from being a rogue governor to an armed insurrection. The response to that by definition has to be fairly extreme - at that point, there is a de facto threaten of violence to defend what it (the state) perceives as its interests. Whether or not that is representative of the population, it's a matter of gamesmanship in how you respond. Hell, by jailing the governor for treason, the state could assume that as an act of war and the Lt. Governor would be authorized in use of force against the US.
Sending in the actual military against a sitting governor, as opposed to taking him out in a bloodless arrest, would play infinitely worse. Arresting him for treason denies the existence of a state of war, by unequivocally saying that the president's authority still extends into Michigan, whereas an escalation of the conflict into an armed standoff (or actual fighting) would validate the claim that Michigan was now in fact an independent state. It also sends a clear message to any would-be traitors that they will be held personally accountable, which might convince the Lt. Governor to not push the issue, assuming they were even supportive of this treasonous stance in the first place.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

whereas an escalation of the conflict into an armed standoff (or actual fighting) would validate the claim that Michigan was now in fact an independent state.

If by independent state you mean it successfully seceded then no, I disagree. The governor just can't decide he's no longer a part of the United States, it doesn't work that way. If you are attempting to make a specific distinction between sending in US military vs National Guard that is something of a legal issue with which I'm only vaguely familiar. My wife works for multiple government agencies and depending on the mission, legally it matters for whom she is working. If they are searching for a lost kid that is one thing, supporting a drug bust is something else; quelling an armed insurrection is probably a whole 'nother ball of wax.

And it isn't clear that MI was attempting to secede, I believe they were rebelling specifically against the president and obviously without any plan or long term goal otherwise they would have made allies from nearby states first. Handling one rogue governor is fairly simple, handling a coalition of states trying secede (civil war) is more complicated. Obviously the real story is the showrunner/writers thought it sounded like a cool storyline and probably put less thought into it than you and I just did.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

The surviving Congressman is played by Ashley Zukerman, who was Dr. Charlie Isaacs on Manhattan.

Dude's a good actor.

In unrelated news, i'm also glad that they put the kibosh on more "stupid child actor" plot devices. Nobody likes those. Nobody.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't worry, seems like it will be back in the next episode.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 27, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Oh goddamnit. Just saw the end of the episode. Yep. They just couldn't help themselves.

:smithicide:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The sequence where they kept switching back from the raid and Maggie Q explaining was really weird offputting.

Kind of a bad episode.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I don't think even President Jill Stein would be like, oh this military action with tremendous upside might result in even one friendly or civilian casualty? Better not, then.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I like how the show is presented as a bad CYOA.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't think even President Jill Stein would be like, oh this military action with tremendous upside might result in even one friendly or civilian casualty? Better not, then.

I get why they're doing this — they want to present him as unprepared for the office and powers of Commander-in-Chief, but they're way overdoing it. I fully expect them to suddenly drop it either in between seasons or abruptly and without warning in the middle of an episode.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

oh jay posted:

The sequence where they kept switching back from the raid and Maggie Q explaining was really weird offputting.

I had just the opposite reaction - it certainly wasn't the first time to intercut like that but it was surprisingly effective.

That said, I still don't really like the part of this show that is Maggie Q as Jack Bauer but if they at least do interesting things while slogging through the plotline I'll be happier about it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gonz posted:

The surviving Congressman is played by Ashley Zukerman, who was Dr. Charlie Isaacs on Manhattan.
Note: This definitely means he helped design the bomb that blew up the Capitol.

ElwoodCuse posted:

You have to consider though, President Jack Bauer is a good person.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You have to consider though, President Jack Bauer is a good person.

I enjoyed the part of this past episode where President Jack Bauer was discussing perimeters with the SEAL commander.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And they had another drat IT.

Not bad an episode. I wasn't expecting 24; just something that's more entertaining than most network trash, which this show seems to be so far. Even the conspiracy plot is moving along without much of the Lost bullshit.

The only thing I think was slightly, I wouldn't even say bad but, eyebrow-raising just for me, is the whole "First Lady as the President's therapist giving the 'you did what you had to do' speech" scene, which for some reason always has me raise an eyebrow; because 24 largely avoided that while other TV dramas with a POTUS do it.

So how many 24 alumni are on this show? Kiefer, Kal, and Mykelti Williamson? Fake edit: Kevin McNally and Michael Gaston were in 24 too.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Where's Chloe?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why does this show have such a weird schedule? They've skipped two weeks now, instead of being a dependable weekly thing. What has shown in the time slot when this show hasn't?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A litttle thing called MLB playoffs and tonight is game 7 of the World Series

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nickelsack posted:

A litttle thing called MLB playoffs and tonight is game 7 of the World Series

I just looked it up, and instead of showing that ABC has interrupted airing of Designated Survivor to bring us the Country Music Awards. :geno:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Nietzschean posted:

I just looked it up, and instead of showing that ABC has interrupted airing of Designated Survivor to bring us the Country Music Awards. :geno:
Most networks pushed back their new content a week to make room for the World Series game, however, so if it wasn't the CMAs it would be that.

The whole Mr. Smith Goes to Washington shtick is getting tiring. The guy was Secretary of HUD, which means he was 12th in line of succession. The real life counterpart is one of the party's rising stars. President Kiefer shouldn't be acting like some rube pulled straight out of Nowheresville, Montana.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just watched episode 5.

This show continues to suck, and do you know what it's sucking? The hard cock of the US military and the intelligence agencies. I just realized that. So many speeches about honor and sacrifice and blah blah blah.

That's another thing, people don't talk on this show, they hold speeches.

Sucks.

e: and every time there's a dramatic line, I always say to myself that they used that in the trailer for the episode.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
save us president jack bauer

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The president plot is really bad.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
This whole show is just a disappointment.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally every choice the president must make a huge false dichotomy presented as a boring speech by each character.

WHICH WAY WILL YOU CHOOSE?

Then it goes on to immediately present the consequences as another speech.

Telltale Games presents Designated Survivor

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what do you have against telltale games

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nietzschean posted:

what do you have against telltale games

I guess they're okay as a sorta animated CYOA book, but I'd hardly call them games. They're fine as they are. It's a dumb way to make a TV show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Capitulation, the most boring plot resolution.

'Dear Governors. I understand your concerns but cannot agree to your rquest. BTW, due to security concerns I've had to temporarily halt air and train travel nationwide and the rent a car agencies are strangely all booked I have taken the liberty of buying you all Greyhound bus tickets. Safe travels.'

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Had high hopes for this show, but this last episode was abysmal.

The instant the FBI had an inkling that McLeesh was involved, they would've alerted the president. That is, of course assuming that Maggie Q could do something other than stare dumbly into space.

Every plot seems to be a combination of:
"I am random political jarhead/bitch and grrrrr I no like president Bauer, so I will escalate issues egregiously!"
President Bauer makes calm, level headed inspirational speech
President Bauer has moment of self doubt, IMMEDIATELY followed by inspirational speech by wife/Kal Pen/other staffer
Maggie Q staring blankly at something off camera

I was a big fan of Limitless last season, and I keep thinking that President Bauer's secret service guy, Mike needs a partner named Ike.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Catalan had better loving be Carlos Bernard or Xander Berkeley.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Phummus posted:

I was a big fan of Limitless last season, and I keep thinking that President Bauer's secret service guy, Mike needs a partner named Ike.

It's one of the great disappointments in recent television history that Limitless wasn't allowed to have a 2nd season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

It just wouldn't be a Kiefer Sutherland political thriller without a double agent or a triple agent or quadruple agent.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pfft, call me when they pick up a quantum agent

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

Macliesh is just doing what his future self told him to do to become President, Timecop-style.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
:911: "You better talk, or we ship your mom back to Pakistan, where she can die of kidney failure" :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nietzschean posted:

A double agent is a quantum agent since they exist in the equivalent of a quantum superposition.

• Locked thread