Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Watching S1E6 now.

He's a loving Independent?! That's just like that show with Glenn Close(?)!

Is The West Wing the only "president show" to make the president either a Republican or a Democrat?

e: Do senatorsgovernors really get to delay setting up a new Senate, if the president doesn't answer their questions? I highly doubt it. Kiefer should have told her to sit down and shut up.

e2: They're intercutting between Majid being led to his interrogation, and Kiefer meeting the governors. WOW! It's like a whole new meaning and poo poo.

e3: Oh look, the chief of staff is giving a speech.

e4: DIABEETUS!

e5: Oh look, the president is giving a speech.

e6: Oh right, as soon as the secret service guy was talking about his family in the beginning of the episode, I knew he was going to get shot.

e7: I still loving hate this show.

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It's so loving obvious that it was an inside job that it hurts. The bossy blonde lady was probably in on it and man for the cast they have the story is atrocious and cannot possibly be sustainable from a tv show point of view.

It's like they mated homeland + west wing but both were past their age and they ended up with an autistic child.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brylcreem posted:

Watching S1E6 now.

He's a loving Independent?! That's just like that show with Glenn Close(?)!

Is The West Wing the only "president show" to make the president either a Republican or a Democrat?

I think you're talking about Commander in Chief, which starred Geena Davis.

e: Also, both Kevin Spacey's character and the president his character took office from are Democrats in House of Cards.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 19, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Phummus posted:

The instant the FBI had an inkling that McLeesh was involved, they would've alerted the president. That is, of course assuming that Maggie Q could do something other than stare dumbly into space.

Especially after the latest episode, this is what's killing me about this show.

The head of the FBI is just going to sit there and let someone they suspect is apart of the attack become the Vice President? gently caress right off. There was zero reason he couldn't have said "with all due respect, he isn't in that position yet, this is for your eyes only" and bam, averted.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah, that part where the director held his tongue because mcleash was in the room was so loving dumb. Also, even the idea of some grand conspiracy where black ops government dudes aiming to kill the country are kidnapping kids to make people do things is absolutely absurd.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Really the only good part of this show was the massive fireball rising from the capital.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I keep telling myself maybe it'll be like TNG and get good halfway through the third season.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah, that part where the director held his tongue because mcleash was in the room was so loving dumb. Also, even the idea of some grand conspiracy where black ops government dudes aiming to kill the country are kidnapping kids to make people do things is absolutely absurd.

Or just the idea that they built a secret loving bomb shelter in the capitol building with nobody noticing. That's, I think, my favorite part about the show.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nietzschean posted:

I keep telling myself maybe it'll be like TNG and get good halfway through the third season.

Hopefully more like Jericho, then we won't have to wait so long.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

brylcreem posted:

e: Do senatorsgovernors really get to delay setting up a new Senate, if the president doesn't answer their questions? I highly doubt it. Kiefer should have told her to sit down and shut up.

again, just like with Michigan, this is the dumbest part of the show to me - why the hell would the governors be so contentious? Without a Congress, there is no federal budget. That's a problem when we HAVE a full House and Senate. Why wouldn't the answer to their demand simply be "Appoint people that you think will be passionate and effective advocates for your constituents, or the federal budget gets turned off in XXX number of days and there is nothing I can do to stop it"

I can understand wanting to play politics and understand the new man in charge, but getting a functioning government up and running is in everyone's best interest. The faster the better, within reason.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And that's a third week where the show doesn't air. Is this normal? I've not watched American broadcast television in nearly two decades, and admittedly when I did watch it as a child I wasn't trying to follow a particular show when it was new. But this seems wrong. How do you claim you're going to do a thing at a certain time each week and then miss the slot 3 times in 9 weeks when nothing extraordinary (read: unforeseen, unplanned, unscheduled, whatever) has occurred to force your hand? This is some amateur bullshit.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Nietzschean posted:

Is this normal? I've not watched American broadcast television in nearly two decades

And this show brought you back?

Anyway, was posting to say I'm giving up on this show. Watching President Milquetoast get kicked in the nuts every episode and do nothing about it doesn't interest me.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm with you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The end is near so I'll just keep watching it out of boredom.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it slated for cancellation?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's doing rather well in DVR/On Demand Ratings so that seems unlikely?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Does that count Netflix? Cause I just watch it on Netflix.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeoh posted:

Does that count Netflix? Cause I just watch it on Netflix.

Me too. Am I helping to save this show by doing that? :ohdear:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Man, this guy never has a day without something catastrophic happen. No wonder presidents have their hair turn all white.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm trying to decide which was the low point this episode. Maggie Q continues to drag everything down. There is just nothing at all believable about her character. Teen son drama also sucked. And now untrustable reporter lady has the DNA results in hand to do with as she pleases.

The deputy loving director of the FBI cant figure out how to locate his son, but the IT guy can locate the deputy director? The director who they explicitly stated was an expert on tracking people electronically....who can't find the cell phone who has been calling him.

Yet another FBI agent witholding information from the POTUS...this time because of a text from an unknown number. And yet again, the crisis of conscience was resolved by inspirational speech from President Vanilla.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

The huge cop-out story telling of "anonymous caller who knows everything and wants to help but can only give abstract clues" is one of the most loving boring and cliche things I've ever seen in a TV show. Could you literally not think of a better way to reveal that info? Not one other method of story telling? It's just so lazy.

And now they've done it twice.

The scene with the button under the desk that makes the Secret Service swarm the oval office with guns and men was pretty cool, though.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Upon reflection, I have now determined how to enjoy this show.

It's just like 24 — fast forward past anything that features Jack Bauer's family. It makes some episodes less than half as long, but you miss none of the action or intrigue or plot that you're actually watching the show to see.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Looks like they're teasing an assassination attempt for the fall finale next week.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the first season seriously going to be just ten episodes? I thought the standard for US shows was 20-something

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nietzschean posted:

Is the first season seriously going to be just ten episodes? I thought the standard for US shows was 20-something

No, this is just TV Fall Break.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Nietzschean posted:

Ir's 22 episodes.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I caught up on the last three episodes and found it all to be entertaining enough.

Yeah, the family subplots suck.

I did't find Maggie Q's plot bad. At least up until she got his by the car. Now that's just stalling. I guess FBI guy's son got returned? Internal affairs never picked up on him ever missing in the first place?

The worst parts were still the moments when the West Wing-corny-cheese creeps in about the aura of the Office. Like when the voters headed to the polls in large numbers because they were inspired by the president's gestures. Or how the whistleblower deduced Kirkman is a good man because reasons.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Loved the hacking theme.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nooneofconsequence posted:

Loved the hacking theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btx95r74mHc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My DVR didn't record this for some reason; can somebody give me a Cliff Notes version of the episode?

freakspeak
Dec 20, 2004

Of course if wishes were horses we'd all be eating steak.

Gonz posted:

My DVR didn't record this for some reason; can somebody give me a Cliff Notes version of the episode?

More crap storyline with Maggie Q and President Kirkman. McLeash gets sworn in, then sniper tries to shoot at Kirkman and probably misses and hit's someone else. My guess is his wife.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Has this show gotten any better over the last 4 episodes or so? I stopped watching.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Astro7x posted:

Has this show gotten any better over the last 4 episodes or so? I stopped watching.

Nope.

e: Actually his son hasn't been around much in the last 2 episodes so sort of.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 16, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The gun that sniper used, with a silencer attached, would never make that loving shot to begin with. What was he planning to go full auto if he missed?

Also this show is bad.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Blind Rasputin posted:

The gun that sniper used, with a silencer attached, would never make that loving shot to begin with. What was he planning to go full auto if he missed?

Also this show is bad.

Haha yeah I only know about guns from video games and even still I was like, you would need a 50 cal anti vehicle weapon from that distance

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I was going to say "this show sucks, but I'm going to keep watching it anyway". but it turns out this is the last episode until March.

So, maybe I will drop it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is the show doing critically?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think you need to watch this show with the right frame of mind.

If you're looking for High Class Television, you're bound to be disappointed.

If you like shows like The Last Ship, and can turn off your brain a bit and enjoy the ride, you'll be entertained. Not every show is gonna be Westworld.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Addamere posted:

How is the show doing critically?

85% on Rotten Tomatoes from critics, so way better than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I just try to relax and enjoy. Our household looks forward to it.

• Locked thread