Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I wonder how this will change how the houseguests talk to the camera. I haven't watched Big Brother 1, but it just seems that with no jury, there's suddenly a lot of strategy that is dropped out of the final stretch of the game in favor of being a more likable person to the viewers in case you make it to the final two. As though there will be a lot more winking to the camera after certain things are said, confessionals are less honest and have more spin since the viewers are now the jury, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

mancalamania posted:

I think it could be a neat experiment. Jury management is just one small part of the strategy on these shows and is often the most likely to be ignored anyway, especially on Big Brother where the endgame is so chaotic and unpredictable because it is so dependent on the outcome of the comps. In the past 2 seasons, the only time I can think of anyone making a big strategic move to vote out a potential jury threat was Steve voting out Vanessa. Every other big move involves separating unbreakable Final 2s / showmances (Natalie, Corey), voting out comp threats (Victor x3), or voting out someone who has no clear loyalty because they have deals with everyone (Paulie). All of the strategy involved in these moves would (seemingly) be unchanged if the jury was replaced by America's vote.

The potential upside could be high: maybe players will be more willing to make more ruthless moves against their allies if there are no jury repercussions. And while America's vote could be finnicky, maybe it will be less finnicky than a potentially bitter or irrational jury, especially since it will be limited to people that are willing to pay to watch this silly show.

I agree with this, especially the last part. I assume if you're paying CBS money to watch Big Brother online, you actually like the format and understand how people play the game, and you're not just gonna vote the two cute white guys to the f2. (Or in this case, the person who was lumped to the f2 vs the person who masterminded it all.)

If this season creates a Lisa/Danielle situation by opening it up to public voting then this experiment would be a failure!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

When I made the cute white guys crack I was talking about the main reason why I didn't watch Big Brother 1. Because with some things, America should not be trusted. I like the idea that we potentially get to vote on only somewhat consequential stuff and then get to vote for who wins after watching the whole season play out. It's a very cool combination of different Big Brother ideas.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Is the first non-live edited episode going to be next Wednesday? I don't have the endurance to watch these feeds regularly.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jason seems kind of resigned to being voted out if he doesn't win veto. Maybe he's just setting low expectations for a campaign if he doesn't with POV, and maybe America (most likely) nominating Cornbread could change things, but I think there's a pretty high chance Jason will be voted out first due to his built-in fanbase. I think if they do OTT again they'll need to put 2 returning HG's in the house to balance out that factor.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

He tried to open the emergency exit.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Teek posted:

Hell, even talk to RHAP about some type of official show would be great.

I feel like there are a ton of very easy, low-cost ideas for content that would add a lot of value to this sort of season. Instead, it's like either be a feeder or bust.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Welcome to Big Brother Over The Top: Where HOH Means Nothing

Seriously this is terrible. The America's Nominee thing is by far the absolute worst part.

gently caress Monte or whatever, but this is so pointless to watch given the way its structured. You can win HOH and have it make no difference. There's no need to jury pander because they're not deciding poo poo. You pretty much have to win every competition to have anything work out in your favor.

This is a fun game to watch when it's actually strategic but strategy is futile this season. They should've put James on here because this is pretty much Big Brother if you had to structure it in a way to guarantee James won. There's every incentive to throw HOH. It doesn't matter if you lie to anyone. The only significant thing is if America likes you.

I find myself in the precarious position where I agree with everything that you just said and hoe it makes this season suboptimal but I still like a lot of these people and enjoy the game. I think if they got rid of America's nominee it would really fix most of everything.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

mancalamania posted:

An easy fix to the HoH-means-nothing problem is have America vote for the third nominee after the first safety ceremony. This way, the HoH can save all or most of their alliance (at the cost of possibly exposing their alliance), but America can still nominate someone annoying and have some influence in the game. You also could get some interesting strategy, where the HoH has to decide who of their allies is most likely to need safety from America's nomination and prioritize their safety accordingly.

Ooh, I like this. I like this a lot.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

I feel bad for Alex for having to do this, but I'm happy Kryssie can't nom or backdoor her.

EDIT: What happened to Neely to make her drop in the Jokers ratings?

I assume because she's allied with Kryssie, who has become a very disliked HG? Because I really like Neeley and think she's playing a great social game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Would something like "winner of OTT gets automatically added to the BB20 cast" have been a good reward in addition to the money?

nah. Sometimes BB winners are really horrible players to watch, or just float, etc. Inviting back fan favorites is probably always the right move.

• Locked thread