Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Rimworld is science-fiction based colony sim successfully Kickstarted in 2013 and added to Steam in late July 2016.

While there's a nominal endgame, essentially it's Dwarf Fortress in space. Crashland as spacewreck survivors or band together as tribal outcasts and survive in the hostile wilderness.

Unlike DF, the user interface is pretty intuitive. You can assign jobs to your pawns (the term Rimworld uses to describe your meeples) or control them directly. They start with a random assortment of skills along with some perks and flaws and gain experience over time. Pawns have dynamic relationships with each other which can result in love affairs--or fistfights.

Three AI storytellers and five difficulty levels make the game as challenging as you want it to be. Cassandra Classic slowly ramps up the challenge, while Phoebe Chillax takes it slow. Randy Random is just that. A crate of energy weapons on day 2? Sure! A herd of hostile rhinocerouses out to trample your one-man colony? Why not?

And there's a scenario editor that accepts random word input. :getin:

It's been streamed, it's been a part of SuperLeague, and there's a goon in the sandbox looking to do something narrative and cool. I just want random and silly things to happen.

How this is going to work: your input determines this LP's output. I'm going to randomize the creation process as much as possible and get user input for the rest. I want to set up three colonies, one for each AI storyteller. After we get our colony (or colonies depending on interest) off the ground, I need y'all to advise me on what to do next. I'll explain various game mechanics along the way, but I'm far from a Rimworld expert, so feel free to throw in when necessary.

So let's get this thing started. I'm gonna need your name and your gender (if applicable). Once I have enough volunteers, I'll record colony setup and the first days of our brave new world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The colonies:

Storyteller AI: Phoebe
Scenario seed: baldurk
Planet seed: thedarkid
--Son "SonRyo" Ryo
--Frenzy "Frenzy" theKillbot
--Hanko "Hankosha" Sha
--Lynneth (I know you wanted to be put in Randy but I ran out of options for female colonists, sorry!)
--Divine "Coffee" CoffeeBinge
--HiHo "HiHo" ChiRho

Storyteller AI: Cassandra
Scenario seed: glazius
Planet seed: general ironicus
--Jimmy "JimmyNav" Nav
--Silver "Silver" Satyr
--Franken "Franken" Freak
--Marcus "MarcusCZ" CZ
--Junpei
--Sylph "Sylph" Osaurus

Storyteller AI: Randy
Scenario seed: let's play
Planet seed: slowbeef
--Gene "GeneX" X
--Too Much "2MuchAbs" Abstraction
--Cathode "Cathode" Rayman
--Natty "Natty" Ninefingers
--Billy "Keen" Blaze
--Veloxyll
Day One

Waitlist
--Logical "LogFall" Fallacy (M; prefer Randy)
--Arkzil (M; Randy)
--Crystal "Crystal" Gate (NP; NP)
--Marisa (F; NP)
--Kool "KoolKevz" Kevz (M; NP)
--Rather "RatherWT" WT (NP; NP)
--Richard "RickVoid" TheVoid (NP; NP)
--Spooky (M; Randy)
--tlarn (NP; NP)

I brought my Drake fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 25, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Sure, I'll jump at the chance to be mauled to death by an elephant (in space).

Gene "GeneX" X for the name, and I'm a guy, though I don't really care about gender. Stick me in the Randy Random colony if you get enough volunteers, but I'm not that picky.

E: somehow between my brain and my phone, I forgot which colony was which. Fixed it.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 23, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sure, I'm in. TooMuchAbstraction (or 2MuchAbs if that doesn't fit), whatever gender, in the Randy Random colony.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Cathode Rayman signing up as a dude I guess for the Randy Random colony.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Natty Ninefingers on the dotted line. Bonus if you can make him have a hand deficiency

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Let's go with Billy "Keen" Blaze. Gender doesn't matter.

They should be part of the Randy Random colony.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Can't wait to see where this goes! I'l be Jimmy4400nav (Or Just Jimmynav if that works better) and I'll go with the Cassandra Colony or the random or wherever I'm needed!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RimWorld is such a good DwarfFortresslike. except actually, you know, playable.

Are you modding it at all?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Son Ryo, a man, signing up for the Phoebe colony cause somebody's got to.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Logical Fallacy or just Logical if constrained by character limits or laziness. Dude preferred, but I'll be a chick if needs be, and I'll hop on board for the Randy Random colony.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Silver a woman (if possible) of where ever you need another one.

God, I love this game. 60 hours in and still learning how to not die.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Ark zil a dude if possible
Of the Randy colony

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I hadn't heard of this game before yesterday and look forward to see more of it before throwing my money at it.

frankenfreak, either gender, Cassandra colony

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Sign me up as markuscz. Male because this would sound weird as a female name. I have no colony preference.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
This could be fun, I'm in as FrenzyTheKillbot and male. I've never played this, so I probably won't be any help with suggestions however.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Hankosha - Male.

I also suggest settling somewhere Mountainous

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Junpei, Male, Cassandra.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Lynneth, whatever gender and Randy are my picks.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
This looks like a lot of fun and I can use whatever happens to me as an excuse to justify buying the game. "Look, honey, I had to buy the game, I had to earn myself a better death than I got here!" Sign me up as DivineCoffeeBinge, or CoffeeBinge if that's too long. Gender is unimportant, and I have no colony preference - I figure Phoebe's colony will need volunteers but the turnover in Randy's colony will be high enough to require a constant churn. Whatever works, is my point.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Sign me up as HiHoChiRho or whatever that fits. Gender doesn't matter to me.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Sign me up as Sylphosaurus in the Cassandra Colony, gender doesn't matter so go hogwild.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Crystalgate in any colony and gender doesn't matter.

You say you are going to randomize as much as possible, does doomed-unless-lucky-with-random-events colonies (all starting pawns are unwilling to do a certain critical task) count as impossible? Random or not, I would advice against any colonies where all pawns are unwilling to haul.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

For some reason, Fraps keeps crashing during worldgen and taking Rimworld with it. It went just fine during the practice run, why is it misbehaving now? Oh well, framegrabber it is.

Veloxyll posted:

Are you modding it at all?

Yes! However, the recent update to Alpha 15 broke a lot of the mods I had been using. I also turned off Prepare Carefully (which lets you build exactly the type of colonist you want without random variables) because I went with the first batch of colonists rolled for each colony.

silversatyr posted:

God, I love this game. 60 hours in and still learning how to not die.

Same here. I'm not an expert at this game but it's so much fun to play that I don't mind how terrible I am. And I hope y'all don't mind either.

Hankosha posted:

I also suggest settling somewhere Mountainous

I picked the landing site for Randy for that very reason. The others I left random. Randy's going to have enough problems--those poor souls should be able to hollow out a mountainside at least.

Crystalgate posted:

You say you are going to randomize as much as possible, does doomed-unless-lucky-with-random-events colonies (all starting pawns are unwilling to do a certain critical task) count as impossible? Random or not, I would advice against any colonies where all pawns are unwilling to haul.

I didn't reroll a single colonist because I wanted to show the good and bad traits, including the ones who consider themselves too important to haul, put out fires, clean, etc. In Dwarf Fortress terms, we're starting with a couple nobles, but that's okay.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I was talking about scenarios where all colonist are unable to haul, but that is admittedly very unlikely.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Make me a lady called Marisa, why dontcha please.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Pop me in the waiting list if you don't mind please. Name Koolkevz as a Male. Thanks.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This looks fun. And after a few trial-and-error goon campaigns, I've learned RatherWT is a good enough abbreviation.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've had this one the wishlist for a bit, this should help me decide if I want to pull the trigger. RichardTheVoid sounds Pulp Space Fictiony.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
I'll jump in on this, Spooky, and I'm a dude, I'd like to be in the Randy Random group, because who needs t survive?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This game is basically Dwarf Fortress with a ton of quality-of-life additions and it's pretty great because of that. I'd like to be thrown in as well, tlarn and any gender's fine.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Randy Colony - Day 1

The canon starting story for tribals describes them as the sole survivors of a giant robot attack. We may meet these giant robots later! For now, it's just the six of us, plus a random assortment of supplies.

We start the game with bear meat, iguana skin (useful for clothes and some types of furniture), a couple dozen vitals monitors (high-tech medical equipment we wouldn't be able to build for a long time), and all those green blocks are doormats. Over two hundred of them.

Sadly, my laptop couldn't record the stat spread during world creation. (I've been having problems getting both Fraps and OBS to work with the game--and most of these are known issues due to my graphics card.) During character creation, you can adjust your pawns' ages and names and that's about it. Everything else can only be changed by rerolling the whole character. There's a mod called Prepare Carefully that allows you to tweak your pawns to your exact specifications. I turned it off for this game because I wanted a mixed bag of nuts.

Clicking on a colonist, then clicking on the Character tab brings up this screen.

A pawn's backstory and traits affect their skills and their passions (the flames next to the skill bars). Pawns with passions in certain skills learn them faster and pawns will prefer to do tasks associated with their passions.

For GeneX, his Vengeful childhood gave him increased weapon skills but left him incapable of using the medicine skill. (I love how the character sheet describes it as incapable of caring.) His adulthood profession as a Weaver made him good at crafting as well as growing crafting materials. He takes longer to aim ranged weapons but he has a better chance to hit (and a bonus to shooting), making him a Careful Shooter. He's also a Prosthophobe and will become unhappy if any of his body parts are replaced with bionic ones.

The skills are self-evident, mostly. Shooting is proficiency with ranged weapons, Melee for melee ones. Social affects how a pawn converses with other colonists as well as traders and other factions. Hopefully Gene won't start any fistfights. Animals is a catch-all stat for any animal interaction, from killing animals to taming them and caring for them. Looks like Gene's going to be doing more of the former than the latter. If Gene wasn't incapable of caring, the Medicine skill would let him treat wounded colonists. Cooking covers making meals as well as butchering animals. Construction is another inclusive skill for putting things together and taking things apart. Sowing and harvesting crops fall under Growing and Mining for chipping away at rocks. Artistic skill helps pawns create sculptures to beautify areas. The last catch-all skill is Crafting, covering blacksmithing, tailoring, stonecutting, and, uh, joint rolling, because that's now a thing in this game. Research is the only task you cannot assign a pawn to do directly. Once a research station is built, and a pawn feels the urge, it'll go research.

According to his character tab, Gene has an interest in melee, construction, growing, arts, and research, and a burning passion in shooting and crafting. His shooting and crafting are both above 10, so he's going to make a good hunter and thing-maker. (And it's important to exercise those high abilities: skill rust is a thing in this game and will eat away at >10 skills until they reach 10. Fun, huh?)

Let's see how everyone else fares.

2MuchAbs' childhood as a Scavenger made her good at mining for treasure and identifying her finds through research, but she ducked out of a lot of her responsibilities to do so. She's never going to chop wood, pick berries, haul items, or clean rooms, aka dumb labor. Being a Lore keeper as an adult allowed her to pass on tribal knowledge through storytelling. She can withstand higher temperatures because she's Heat tolerant, learns skills faster by being Too smart but her mental break threshhold is lower.

Abs seems like a good character for taming and training animals as well as researching new technologies, and with some practice can become great at making clothes and weapons and statues. Her social and mining skills aren't that bad either. While she won't level them up as fast as someone with an interest or burning passion, they're an adequate level for the start of the game and can carry the budding colony until the others catch up.

Natty Ninefingers' time as a Herder and a Healer made her quite skilled at treating people and animals alike. However, she's Lazy, which means she takes longer doing tasks, and somehow Neurotic at the same time, which increases her work speed and her mental break threshhold. (Skills can cancel each other out like that, which is quite silly IMO.) Obviously Natty's going to be one of our doctors. It's good to have at least 2-3 pawns with good medicine skill, moreso here because Natty started off with an illness (and we'll get into that later). She'll also be one of the pawns sowing our first crop due to that growing skill and maybe taming an animal or two. But for now, Natty's going to do dumb labor, because there's a lot of it to do in a new colony.

Cathode Rayman has the same backstory as Abs, so he has the same benefits and drawbacks. He's Beautiful, which means other pawns have a higher opinion of him, and his Steadfast nature makes him less likely to have a mental breakdown. His interest in social combined with his beauty means he'll likely be the tribe's spokesperson. He's also going to be hammering rocks for the near future.

Veloxyll was the Sole survivor of a brutal attack on her tribe, leaving her scared of fire and violence. She won't fight or put out fires. Like Natty, she also became a Healer. She's a Night Owl who gains happiness from working at night and sleeping during the day, but she's a Slowpoke who doesn't walk very fast. She'll be doctoring and growing and taming along with Natty, as well as the grunt work. She'll also be a useful cook.

Last but not least is Billy "Keen" Blaze, who spent his childhood herding and his adulthood as a Cave tender treating the sick and making crafts. He Dislikes women and he is Staggeringly ugly, giving him a huge social malus. He's also Nervous, which decreases his mental break threshhold.

If I permitted myself rerolls, I would have rerolled Keen. He needs careful handling due to his social penalties. In the future, he's going to be spending a lot of time in a crafting area to increase his mood, prevent a mental break, and keep the other pawns from insulting him. Right now, his cooking and medicine skills are much needed as well as his grunt labor.

Clicking the Work tab brings up this screen. You'll want to assign manual priorities ASAP.

That's better. Priorities range 4-1, left to right. A pawn with 1 in Firefight will stamp out fires in the home area before anything else. (From what I understand about this game, priority is calculated after a pawn completes its current action, so if a pawn is cooking a meal when a fire breaks out, the pawn will finish making and setting down the meal before dealing with the fire.)

I tend to put 1 in both Firefight and Patient, which means a pawn will go rest in a bed if it has a life-threatening illness (and can move there under its own power). Doctor cares for sick pawns and animals. Bed rest is for pawns with mild injuries; I set the doctors to 2 and everyone else to 1, as even small wounds can become infected and require treatment--or amputation. Flick is for flipping power switches, and I'm clearing out that column as we have neither power nor switches. Same with the Warden task which covers taking care of prisoners, Handle involving livestock and pets, and Hunt for wildlife. For the rest, I spread tasks based on skill levels and interest/passion. The first day of the colony, we're going to Mine, Plant cut (chop wood and pick berries), and Haul.

Like so.

I think I assigned Grow just to see who had the ranks. We can grow crops year-round in this temperate forest biome but I never got around to farmering on the first day. Craft will let us make basic weapons like clubs and bows, and with Randy being random, we'll need everybody armed and soon.

Priorities for Day One involve food and shelter. Carving out the side of a mountain is a great strategy for beginners. While Dwarf Fortress-esque Fun can still happen in a mountain home, digging in here give us a defense advantage right from the start. Also, enemies can't light rock on fire.

The Architect button brings up different menus for pawn tasks. This is the Orders menu. By clicking and dragging, I selected an area for mining.

You can select an item by clicking on it. Double-clicking will select all similar items on the screen. If a colony or tribe starts with items, the items have a red X on them, forbidding interaction. I want my pawns to collect this bear meat, so I unforbid it. I also have a little over a day before all this meat goes bad. I need to preserve this meat--and fast. Most of these items will degrade over time if left out in the open, so I'll eventually need to get them inside. I'm going to be breaking down most of the doormats and vitals monitors for parts.

The Zone/Area menu allows us to create stockpiles by clicking and dragging. You can create different areas for different sorts of items. I made a giant stockpile around Doormat Lake over there for two reasons. Pawns will haul items to stockpiles and prefer to take items from them to make things. Also, if any faction stops by to trade, they only see items in stockpiles. While I want the cloth in those doormats, if I can use them as trade fodder, I will.

I'm also making a stockpile just for raw food and meals in this central location so the cooking pawn won't have to walk far to pick up or drop off eats. Clicking on the stockpile brings up this menu. You can allow and forbid all, you can set individual preferences, and you can set four different levels of priority. Item hitpoint and quality comes into play later when you start making wardrobes of high-quality clothes and well-furnished armories.

Back to the quickly spoiling bear meat. Tribals come with some researched skills such as pemmican. I'll need a fire and some vegetable matter to mix with the bear meat, but once made, pemmican lasts for a long time.

The Temperature menu shows us what little we can construct as tribals. The campfire is here because it can also heat an enclosed space. It's warm enough that we can keep the cooking fire outside. It takes 20 wood to make and requires two clear spaces, one for the campfire and a designated space for a pawn to do tasks associated with the campfire.

I also make a crafting spot. This is just a space in the dirt where a pawn can make basic weapons, Flintstones-looking outfits, and roll joints.

I'm not lying about the joint part--the recent patch added it.

For manufacturable items, you can approve or forbid materials, limit the range a pawn can travel to find materials (preventing a pawn from fetching wood from the other side of your camp when there's a woodpile nearby, for example), and designate an allowed crafting skill. Note the x20 next to the gold, jade, silver, and uranium: you need twenty times the materials to make the item. A gold club would need 800 gold. These materials are pretty scarce--I'm not going to waste them on weapons. I end up forbidding everything except steel for the clubs. Bows require wood and only wood.

I look around for raspberries to pick. Raspberry bushes look like normal bushes but with little pink dots and they can be hard to see. You can harvest them early with a lower yield. Can't be too picky right now--I schedule harvesting for every bush around the doormat lake.

Same with trees. Oak and poplar grow here. Oak takes a bit longer to grow and produces a bit more wood. I pick about a dozen trees at 70% or more growth for the axe.

The game's been paused all this time. I'm ready to get this colony going. Rather than waiting for them to finish wandering, I briefly draft the pawns. While drafted, pawns will attack nearby enemies and take basic orders but will stop when their immediate task finishes. I toggle the setting to undraft them and reset their task priority. Now they'll go right to work.

Clicking on pawns will show their current tasks. Gene and Natty are off to pick berries, Veloxyll's chopping down trees, Keen's bringing various items to various stockpiles, and Cathode and Abs are settling down to mine rocks. (Rather than start them mining out our first indoor room, I have them chipping away at some compacted steel. I could break down one of the vitals monitors for steel but that would take a different pawn away from another task.)

Keen also collects the picked raspberries and brings them to the food stockpile. I realize that I need someone to build the campfire, so I change Gene's construct priority to 1 so he'll build the campfire before picking any more berries.

The way I have things set, either Keen or Vel will cook, and when one wanders off, the other will step in. When Vel isn't cooking, she'll be berry picking or chopping wood (plant cutting) with Natty. When Gene isn't constructing or repairing, he'll also be plant cutting. And when there's absolutely nothing else to do, they'll haul items back to the stockpiles. Whenever one of these four go idle (a clock face appears on their portrait at the top of the screen) I find some more mature trees to cut down. Early game, you can't have too much wood. Meanwhile, Abs and Cathode are set to mine and nothing but. (Makes sense, since neither can cut plants or haul things, the lazy bums.)

I saw a speech bubble with a waving hand. Did Keen actually have a pleasant conversation with someone? I click on his portrait and select the Social tab. Keen also had a nice chat with Gene. The numbers on the left are what the pawn thinks of the other person, and the numbers on the right are the reverse.

Here's Abs' Gear tab. She's going to overheat in that parka eventually--I need to remember to get her to remove it by clicking the white down arrow next to it. Clothes also give different types of damage protection.

We've already seen everyone's character tab, so here's Natty's Needs tab. Here you can see the different stats that make up a pawn's mood and specific bonuses and maluses to their mood. (If you look closely, you can see a faint bar on the blue background behind the character portraits that also shows mood level. This was added with the recent patch.) If a pawn's mood dips below Neutral, the Needs tab will show why. The three visible ticks on the mood bar are different mood levels, each with a chance for a mild, moderate, or major mental break.

Natty's acute pain comes from an untreated carcinoma. While I can treat it now and prevent it from getting worse, I have a better chance of digging out the tumor and stopping the spread of cancer if I had medicine. I'm seriously thinking about teching up to electricity just so I can power one of those vitals monitors, as they give a bonus to patients in nearby beds when powered.

Once Gene builds the campfire, I create a bill for pemmican. The cooks are going to make pemmican for as long as possible, using up all the raw meat. We'll be all right with a surplus of berries--they last 12-14 days and pawns are okay with eating them raw. (Also notice the fire has enough fuel to last for two days before going out. Pawns assigned to haul will also refuel wood-burning torches, fires, stoves, etc.)

Any dish with meat as an ingredient automatically has human meat turned off. Yes, you can butcher people for meat in this game, and any pawn without the Cannibal or Psychopath trait will take a sizable mood hit. (Though cannibal pawns get a big mood bonus for eating raw human meat.) Strangely enough, colonists without these traits are okay handling human meat obtained from a trader, though they won't like eating meals made from it. You can make animal feed from it and your animals won't care.

Anyway, Chef Keen needs 0.25 nutrition from meat and 0.25 nutrition from vegetables to make one batch of pemmican. Every edible foodstuff has a nutrition score. Individual units of both berries and bear meat have a nutrition score of 0.05, so pemmican takes 5 of each.

Oh oh! Due to their shared task, close proximity, and Cathode's beauty, Cathode has successfully wooed Abs and they are now in a relationship. Aww. This gives them both a mood boost. They can fall out of love or fall in love with other pawns, and this won't stop other pawns from trying to woo either of them.

Couples also want to share a bed, which reminds me that I need to build beds for our first night on Planet Lowtax. It's a very temporary setup, as pawns don't like sharing rooms with each other, but it's better than assigning them sleeping spaces on the ground. Everyone will bunk in what will eventually be the entry hall until I can carve out bedrooms for everyone.

I have Gene build a bed outside for a specific purpose. One of my doctors needs to stabilize Natty's carcinoma. If I make this a medical bed, Natty will finish her current task to rest in the bed while Vel or Keen make with the doctoring. Once Natty's been treated and leaves the bed, I'll reinstall the bed indoors. (I eventually want to make nice beds for everyone, as good furniture increases room beauty and pawn comfort. Masterwork and legendary beds can even be decorated with art depicting life in the colony/tribe.)

For some reason Natty would rather haul wood than get treatment for her cancer. Selecting a pawn then right-clicking an object associated with a task will cause the pawn to drop everything and complete that task if able. Natty drops the wood and prepares for medical treatment.

Vel's on the job. It takes a couple tries because I don't have any medicine, but she stabilizes Natty. She'll be stable for a few days, after which she'll need more treatments. Pawns can suffer from a myriad of infections and diseases that need periodic treatment in order to cure. I've never had a pawn with cancer, so I'm not sure what's involved. (If the worst happens and Natty succumbs to the cancer, she's getting a stone sarcophagus, and sarcophagi for colonists are guaranteed to have associated art on them regardless of the finished product's quality.)

On to more pleasant subjects. I use the copy button to make three more wooden beds. This was a recent and much-celebrated feature added by the Alpha 15 patch. I uninstall the outdoor bed and create a blueprint for a double bed as well as a wooden door for the room entrance.

As the colonists gather around the campfire to nosh on pemmican, I remember that pawns become unhappy if they have to eat standing up, so I make some blueprints for a wood table and stools and cut down some more trees to fill the work order.

I also allow stone chunks to be moved to the Great Doormat Lake Stockpile Zone. Colonists will only move stone and steel chunks that you mark as haulable. In this case, I'm marking the ones the two lovebirds are scattering about as they mine. Not only do chunks slow pawn movement, pawns think they're ugly.

I put up a torch blueprint as the sun sets. Some people prefer using torches even after electric lighting becomes available, believing it's easier and cheaper and doesn't put a drain on your electrical grid. I disagree. Just as in real life, there's a labor cost to take into consideration. Once the tribe starts hunting and farming and taming and smithing and tailoring and crafting, there will be too many tasks to do and not enough pawns to do them. Why waste pawn labor shuttling wood to torches when that labor can be used more productively elsewhere?

Pawns will also take time to do things that bring them joy. I'll get into time scheduling in a later post. Vel's watching the sunset. I need to remember to adjust her schedule per her Night Owl trait.

I assign everyone a bed and set up two final blueprints before sleep. In the Joy menu is a horseshoe pin which provides entertainment and experience in the Shooting skill. It's also fun to watch 2-3 pawns toss horseshoes at the pin and miss. Gene's also installing one of the doormats to give the place some class.

With all the pawns asleep, I scroll through the map area with the WASD keys. Tasty deer to hunt, and you don't need to worry about depopulating the map, as the game will spawn more wildlife periodically. Veteran players can also spot the resource to mine as well as the potential source of Fun.

Boars make good eating and good pets. Raccoons are also nice petts. Taming alpacas gives you a source of the best wool in the game. Cassowaries? gently caress cassowaries. Big drat pawn-murdering birds.

A grizzly bear and timber wolf. You'll want to scroll around the map at least once a day to find animal carcasses predators leave behind. I wouldn't be surprised if one or the other chows down on that ibex in the next day or two. If I get to the carcass before it spoils, free meat and leather for me.

The first day is done and this talky update is almost done. Hopefully it won't be such a disaster trying to record the other two colonies. In the meantime, let's get ready for day two. What's next? Setting up a few farm fields? Hunting or taming wildlife? Building production areas for cooking or crafting or research? Something else entirely?

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
I'm so glad to finally see an LP of this game, I've spent a ton of hours in it already and I look forward to spending many more. If you're accepting more volunteers, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring. TurpitudeII, any gender and storyteller, and if I may, an extra condition: If you ever find any amount of Luciferium, feed it to me. :getin:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ssss! Nasty Dayglobe! Killed everyone I knew!

Did we not drop with any pets?

Farming is always a good choice.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gonna go with Getting a power supply up and running, however you want to go about it, with everyone who isn't doing that either Hunting or Farming.

Building barracks can wait for a bit.

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I remember playing this in some of the earliest alphas. I mean I'm also playing it now, but I also remember when animal taming was mod only. Do you think you'll be using any of the 6 billion mods?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hooray, I'm a semi-useless noble! I vote we dig a massive underground complex as our highest priority.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Getting a farm going is extremely important; food you can depend on with predictable output and doesn't run around or have to be hauled/butchered wins out over hunting game.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 25, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Oh boy, a DF game with a usable UI! Sign me the gently caress up as Grizz, any gender or map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Could you please not [timg] all of your update images? If you need to downsize the screenshots you can, but man does it make reading an update a chore when I have to click on each piece of content at least once, if not twice.

• Locked thread