Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe let's not spread unsubstantiated misogynist MRA rumors.

What rumors? I've read the last few posts since your previous post just in case I said something stupid and am not really seeing anything like one from anyone. Unless you mean Black Canary's actress bring a diva on set, which was only stated to be a rumor and presented as hearsay and nothing more. And I'm no really seeing how that would be a misogynistic thing, so much as just normal hearsay.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

tsob posted:

If it is, none of it is making it to the screen. That's almost certainly more a fault of writing and direction though, not lack of chemistry. They do appear to have real fun and chemistry in the gifs you post, but nothing in the show really reflects that.

There was easily chemistry with Earth 2 Iris. But yeah I agree it has more to do with the contrived storytelling (forced love triangles, mopiness about not being together, etc) and viewers negative reactions to that than actual lack of chemistry. I think Patty also got a lot of credit for breaking Barry out of the creepy side of the love triangle, I really didn't see a ton more chemistry there, she was honestly kind of a forgettable character.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

There was easily chemistry with Earth 2 Iris. But yeah I agree it has more to do with the contrived storytelling (forced love triangles, mopiness about not being together, etc) and viewers negative reactions to that than actual lack of chemistry. I think Patty also got a lot of credit for breaking Barry out of the creepy side of the love triangle, I really didn't see a ton more chemistry there, she was honestly kind of a forgettable character.

I agree with this. When you watch Candice ad Grant in interviews (or the CW promo shorts, such as the one where he calls her his celeb crush) they have really great chemistry. I can only blame the faulty writing. This is also my biggest issue with Iris' character.. there's a treasure trove of interesting things they could do with her (imagine if she kept investigating meta-humans, bringing cases to STAR labs, having Caitlin come up with biological wayd to defeat them and Iris with the psychological because she profiled them, then Cisco with the names.. and also if they kept the hot and heavy rooftop scenes even after she knew his identity) to add dimensions to each character and Barry/iris' relationship as a whole. And I know I'm biased but I never any chemistry with Patty, it seemed like they were trying to make Cop Felicity and it just didn't work. Also she pulled her gun out too much, which doesn't work when you have a way higher black fanbase.

Pictured: Iris and Caitlin working together.. (what could have been or be expanded on..)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
For me the main issue was the characters themselves going back and forth without it going anywhere. One character thinks they like the other? Time jump, didn't happen. Now the other is ready to love? I need some space. We both of ready? Tragedy that nullifies it.

Just f'ing commit.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

For me the main issue was the characters themselves going back and forth without it going anywhere. One character thinks they like the other? Time jump, didn't happen. Now the other is ready to love? I need some space. We both of ready? Tragedy that nullifies it.

Just f'ing commit.

This so much! Just pull the trigger already. Most of the good stuff happens after Iris/Barry get together anyway. Give me mixed race Bart. Give me the Tornado Twins (bonus points if played by the kids on Blackish, since I know Grant follows the show & those kids are awesome)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Koalas March posted:

Also she pulled her gun out too much, which doesn't work when you have a way higher black fanbase.
Honestly, Joe pulls out his gun plenty of times as well and Eddie was no different. It's just a thing all writers like to script cops doing. People rag on Patty for shooting Harry because she recognized him as a wanted man and thought he had a weapon, but Joe literally shoots at him the moment he sees him, without any warning to the room, and that seems conveniently forgotten in comparison.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...

Test Pattern posted:

I hope that for as long as this show runs, Cavanaugh plays a different version of Wells each season. He's been great and seeing him riff on his own performances has been half the fun of the second season.

Tom Cavanaugh is the reason I watched the show in the first place. I will always and forever watch the man and his weird facial acting.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Honestly, Joe pulls out his gun plenty of times as well and Eddie was no different. It's just a thing all writers like to script cops doing. People rag on Patty for shooting Harry because she recognized him as a wanted man and thought he had a weapon, but Joe literally shoots at him the moment he sees him, without any warning to the room, and that seems conveniently forgotten in comparison.

The majority black fanbase in #WestAllen, #Blerds, and #DatFlash called her Police Brutality Patty for a reason. If you can't see the difference idk what to tell you. Outside from #WestAllen (which are mostly WoC from all over the world) those are black hashtags, and the highest tracking in the Flash fandom outside of just #TheFlash.

edit: the fanbase for the Flash is COMPLETELY different from Arrow or the other CW shows. I can't find it right now because I don't feel like doing the googling but Kreisberg (or maybe Guggenheim?) reiterated that fans of The Flash watch the Flash, and fans of Arrow do the same. The demographics are very different.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 28, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Proposition Joe posted:

Holy poo poo Felicity Smoak was Firestorm's step-mom?? Why the hell was she put on Arrow in the first place? lmfao

Because they never actually meant for her to be a recurring character. She was originally just supposed to be a one off that Oliver went to the one time for some help but her and Stephen Amell worked so well together that they kept bringing her back. She wasn't a series regular until season 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is the first step on the path to Felicity.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

attached: cute gifs for recent pettiness

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 28, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Koalas March posted:

The majority black fanbase in #WestAllen, #Blerds, and #DatFlash called her Police Brutality Patty for a reason. If you can't see the difference idk what to tell you. Outside from #WestAllen (which are mostly WoC from all over the world) those are black hashtags, and the highest tracking in the Flash fandom outside of just #TheFlash.
"Police Brutality?" Really? I'd say the only instance that comes even close was in the 9th episode with Weather Wizard, but the whole point of that dramatically dumb scene was that her and Barry had very similar traumatic pasts, and that violence wasn't the answer. But that was one instance - every other time she pulled it out because there was a dangerous meta-human around (King Shark, the Turtle) or because she found what looked to be a wanted felon. It's not like she's the only cop using her gun on the show.

As for the difference? The difference is that it's okay if Iris has a different romantic interest, but if Barry so much as looks at another woman who isn't Iris then her fans go into a loving outrage and even go as far as harassing Danielle Panabaker and Shantel VanSanten. I'm not even that big a fan of those two, but the levels of hate slung toward those two actresses is appalling.

Two wrongs don't make a right here. You can't act like Iris' fanbase is all perfect and sweet. They can be nasty as hell, and there are plenty of posts online to prove it.

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

"Police Brutality?" Really? I'd say the only instance that comes even close was in the 9th episode with Weather Wizard, but the whole point of that dramatically dumb scene was that her and Barry had very similar traumatic pasts, and that violence wasn't the answer. But that was one instance - every other time she pulled it out because there was a dangerous meta-human around (King Shark, the Turtle) or because she found what looked to be a wanted felon. It's not like she's the only cop using her gun on the show.

As for the difference? The difference is that it's okay if Iris has a different romantic interest, but if Barry so much as looks at another woman who isn't Iris then her fans go into a loving outrage and even go as far as harassing Danielle Panabaker and Shantel VanSanten. I'm not even that big a fan of those two, but the levels of hate slung toward those two actresses is appalling.

Two wrongs don't make a right here. You can't act like Iris' fanbase is all perfect and sweet. They can be nasty as hell, and there are plenty of posts online to prove it.

Post the posts then? because I have lots of posts from Danielle's fans calling Candice/Iris a n****. And you're sounding really tone deaf if you think the majority of the black online fanbase from different demos in the black community had a problem with a white woman drawing her gun at every opportunity as shipping. #BlackGirlNerds/@BlackGirlNerds for instance, uses that hashtag and does't even support WestAllen.. (or at least didn the last time I checked.) In fact there's plenty of people who don't like Barry/Iris using that term, so don't blame this on shipping.

In fact here are some receipts of Danielle/Patty fans being racist:

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/108932802391/you-know-whats-worst-of-people-who-sending-hate

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/112171991906/laughingitofflivingitup-amuzed1

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/107459816961/amuzed1-iriswestreports-shines-brass

here is a shot of Danielle fans planning to make fake WA accounts as a "false flag" attack: http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/105650961956/blackgirlsparadise-postsfromunderthebridge

this is a literal thing Caitlin fans tried to use to "prove" she was the leading lady instead of iris:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 28, 2016

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I'm not even saying Candice doesn't get poo poo? Because she does. But so do the other women. And making GBS threads on women to promote other women is something that affects ALL fandoms. It's just especially unfortunate for Flash, when we only have two major women characters that barely interact with one another and they get pitted against each other CONSTANTLY. Add in a woman that literally appears in like 10 or so episodes as a guest star, and you got even more of a storm.

As for those posts?

Oh and is especially classy:

And that's just a few of what I found. All women actresses/characters on this show get pitted against each other, and that's what gets me riled up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Man I'm not even saying Candice doesn't get poo poo? Because she does. But so do the other women. And making GBS threads on women to promote other women is something that affects ALL fandoms. It's just especially unfortunate for Flash, when we only have two major women characters that barely interact with one another and they get pitted against each other CONSTANTLY. Add in a woman that literally appears in like 10 or so episodes as a guest star, and you got even more of a storm.

As for those posts?

Oh and is especially classy:

And that's just a few of what I found. All women actresses/characters on this show get pitted against each other, and that's what gets me riled up.

Mal is not necessarily an Iris fan, unless you can correct me, so you can't blame them for that? Same for random people saying Danielle can't act has nothing to with Iris fans as well? And someone saying the writing for Iris in S1 was "revolting" isn't much worse than any of of us in this thread has been saying soooo??

ooh and wait thete's more:

http://charlotte-charmante.tumblr.com/post/113540826919/there-is-definitely-a-toxic-element-in-the-flash

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/107777477726/zapandsparklehope-credits-to-iriswestreports

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/109551097516/ajeweltosparkle-shes-out-of-control-the

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 28, 2016

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Can we please have a new thread that talks about Go Fast and King Shark and what songs Music Meister will be singing? Get this poo poo outta my superhero trash tv.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

Now let's talk about season 3. I hope Iris gets a good journalism arc and serves up some of this! 💘😍

Please writers give her something to do besides being Barry's cheerleader #5 and being his love interest

in before she turns into Felicity

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Koalas March posted:

Post the posts then? because I have lots of posts from Danielle's fans calling Candice/Iris a n****. And you're sounding really tone deaf if you think the majority of the black online fanbase from different demos in the black community had a problem with a white woman drawing her gun at every opportunity as shipping. #BlackGirlNerds/@BlackGirlNerds for instance, uses that hashtag and does't even support WestAllen.. (or at least didn the last time I checked.) In fact there's plenty of people who don't like Barry/Iris using that term, so don't blame this on shipping.

In fact here are some receipts of Danielle/Patty fans being racist:

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/108932802391/you-know-whats-worst-of-people-who-sending-hate

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/112171991906/laughingitofflivingitup-amuzed1

http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/107459816961/amuzed1-iriswestreports-shines-brass

here is a shot of Danielle fans planning to make fake WA accounts as a "false flag" attack: http://postsfromunderthebridge.tumblr.com/post/105650961956/blackgirlsparadise-postsfromunderthebridge

this is a literal thing Caitlin fans tried to use to "prove" she was the leading lady instead of iris:

All fans matter.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

in before she turns into Felicity

I'm willing to sacrifice Legends of Tomorrow in order to give Felicity, Iris and Jimmy a Love Interests of Tomorrow series, and anyone who likes those plot lines can watch that.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So I'm basically an rear end in a top hat because I just want a cool comic book show and don't give a poo poo about twitter spats or hash tags.

Iris, as a character, is poorly written and I do not like her. Candace Patton seems like a nice lady and she's very attractive, but unless they Flashpoint her character into being more functional then I don't really care about the Canon of their relationship.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

ice cold horchata posted:

So I'm basically an rear end in a top hat because I just want a cool comic book show and don't give a poo poo about twitter spats or hash tags.

Iris, as a character, is poorly written and I do not like her. Candace Patton seems like a nice lady and she's very attractive, but unless they Flashpoint her character into being more functional then I don't really care about the Canon of their relationship.

A racist rear end in a top hat, apparently.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ville Valo posted:

Can we please have a new thread that talks about Go Fast and King Shark and what songs Music Meister will be singing? Get this poo poo outta my superhero trash tv.

I am a white privileged male give me a superhero show that doesn't involve poc, intersectionality or anything that makes me uncomfortable, please get me away from these conversations I don't like them

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

lotus circle posted:

I can only speak to the reception here rather than the wider perception since I don't look for or discuss this show anywhere else, but at least here people weren't raging on her for shooting Wells in that scene, they ragged the show for never following it up, either by having anyone explain it to her or her investigating or questioning what had happened. They seemed to understand why she shot fine. There was no such reaction for Joe, because Joe was immediately filled in and the whole thing resolved in the same scene.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Koalas March posted:

I am a white privileged male give me a superhero show that doesn't involve poc, intersectionality or anything that makes me uncomfortable, please get me away from these conversations I don't like them

You seem to be projecting a lot

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Koalas March posted:

Yes, thank you. Finally.

Queer woman, actually, but some of us are able to keep that poo poo out of discussing super-powered-spandex television.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Yeah I'm putting an end to this discussion because it's incredibly stupid. I'm not going to dig back over a year in tumblr posts to prove my point, but trust me I saw a lot of loving hate from Iris fans on her. And with those posts? Mal literally has an icon of Candice, and one of the users wanting Caitlin to die has "@irisawestallen" as their username, so I think that speaks for itself.

Patty was never a perfectly written character, but she would have gotten FAR less hate if she wasn't a love interest. That's just fact. And I like Iris a lot, but she has a lot of fans who engage in making GBS threads on the other women to promote her. That's all I want to say.

tsob posted:

I can only speak to the reception here rather than the wider perception since I don't look for or discuss this show anywhere else, but at least here people weren't raging on her for shooting Wells in that scene, they ragged the show for never following it up, either by having anyone explain it to her or her investigating or questioning what had happened. They seemed to understand why she shot fine. There was no such reaction for Joe, because Joe was immediately filled in and the whole thing resolved in the same scene.

And yeah that was total bullshit. Patty was pretty much just a plot device to get Wells injured so Jay would be forced to use the serum to save his life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ville Valo posted:

Second.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

weird how this thread was perfectly fine and content with good feedback and contrasting opinions until the people bitching about Iris in the arrow thread showed up here.

like literally my goal was to fan a fun thread with positivity, especially for an intregal minority character (because black women get a lot of loving hate, which again, is linked in the OP, check it out for fucks sake: http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/) but god forbid someone asks goons not to loving bitch about something

like hey, someone's celebrating a black character, but #allcharactersmatter!

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 28, 2016

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I bet you're a loving blast at parties.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

I wouldn't mind intersecting with Candice Patton, if you know what I mean.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Koalas March posted:

weird how this thread was perfectly fine and content with good feedback and contrasting opinions until the people bitching about Iris in the arrow thread showed up here.

like literally my goal was to fan a fun thread with positivity, especially for an intregal minority character (because black women get a lot of loving hate, which again, is linked in the OP, check it out for fucks sake: http://www.blackenterprise.com/lifestyle/the-power-of-black-women-in-fandom/) but god forbid someone asks goons not to loving bitch about something

like hey, someone's celebrating a black character, but #allcharactersmatter!

Quoted because that Iris reign won't let up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

literally my goal was to fan a fun thread with positivity

doing a good job so far!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Koalas March posted:

That's unfortunate because all media is impactful (See: "Iris West looks like me, I'm beautiful") and literally all media impacts people's perceptions. Like I've literally posted more than one article about why Iris is important, why race in the show is important and what i means to young fans, but gently caress that I guess???

Nobody here is saying Iris is ugly, I'm sure on twitter, tumblr and wherever else you regularly visit people hate her because they're racist or sexist etc.

But from a purely story perspective her character is pretty boring. Can they make her a super hero or something and make her interesting at least? Or do we have to live with lovely storylines about a love interest who impacts the story in no meaningful way.

Whatever, it's got to have that boring teen drama otherwise it wouldn't be a WB show.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

Nobody here is saying Iris is ugly, I'm sure on twitter, tumblr and wherever else you regularly visit people hate her because they're racist or sexist etc.

But from a purely story perspective her character is pretty boring. Can they make her a super hero or something and make her interesting at least? Or do we have to live with lovely storylines about a love interest who impacts the story in no meaningful way.

Whatever, it's got to have that boring teen drama otherwise it wouldn't be a WB show.

People here saying Iris is ugly is unimportant. What's importance is that little girl who said that not realizing she could be beautiful in America until she saw Iris on The Flash. Did you not check any of my links?

Believe it or not when people say "idk, I just don't like her" and poo poo like that it's kind of a dog whistle. Again it's explained in the article I linked. I won't say it's always that way, like I agree Iris as a super hero would be great! I agree she should be more than just a love interest! but.. I've also delved deep into the racism with certain posters here for months and while some have legit criticism, which I respond to with either agreement or at least respect and cute gifs, certain posters have been posted semi coded poo poo for months and just keep on going.

Like there's 2 posters in particular who just refuse to see the other side of anything, who don't accept her importance, who won't acknowledge what this casting means to WoC, especially black women. Even though I've explained it to them. Even though I have no problem with them criticising her storylines
It's like. Ok you think the "incest" thing is weird but when they retcon that completely you still hate it because??? That pings my racism radar. And whites accusing me of being too sensitive is so loving ridiculous. Because yeah, I'm sensitive, I grew up in a white supremacist society.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Check out @oh_JodieBaby's Tweet: https://twitter.com/oh_JodieBaby/status/593252960349466624?s=09

http://www.upworthy.com/6-words-from-a-5-year-old-girl-show-exactly-why-diversity-matters-in-hollywood

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

That kid doesn't look that much like Candice Patton

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

You are literally calling people racist for not liking a character. Not the actress. A character.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He's inspirational because he looks just like me!

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Omigod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
tbf a lot of the "well she's not well written" is usually code for "I don't like romances in my TV shows".

• Locked thread