Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: 0 | Danger: +3 | Savior: -1 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Feijiang grabs Ghost's hand and stands up slowly. She's still breathing pretty heavily and catching her breath, but apart from that she seems to be fine.

"...You're wrong." Feijiang turns her head over to look at Ghost and Wraith, without even a hint of a smile on her face. "That's not how this is supposed to be done."

Feijiang frowns. She's definitely upset, but in a quiet way rather than her usual loud way. She's angry, but she's not yelling. "A fight can be anything it wants to be, but only within the bounds that have already upon. You break those boundaries and you break the bonds of respect between the two opposing fighters. And then it turns into that."

"But..." she breaks eye contact and looks away as she starts to shift topics. "I don't understand why it had to be like that."

Feijiang turns her head back, looking directly at Ghost. "...Why did you have me do it?" Her eyes are a pool of upset feelings, which doesn't make them easy to look at. They're a mix anger, discomfort, disappointment, and doubt. "To win? Why?"

She doesn't manage to hold the eye contact for very long. Soon afterwards, she turns her head towards the ceiling as her eyes suddenly start to fill with tears. "What happened to what you wanted before? I thought you just wanted to learn how to fight!"

Feijiang presses her palms against her face, almost looking like she's trying to forcefully keep her emotions from leaking out. "I thought we weren't gonna care about winning or losing! Was this what you meant?"

<Takanago> Feijiang is piercing Ghost's mask
<Takanago> !r 2d6-1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, 2-1 = 1
Marking potential.
Using the Listener role for the Bull's Heart:
"When you pierce the mask of your love or rival, you can always let them ask you a question to ask them an additional question in turn, even on a miss. These additional questions do not have to be on the list"

So I'm gonna let Ghost ask me any question she wants, and I'll ask her this:
"Why did you have me do that?"

Answer that in any way you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +2 | Sup: +0 | Mun: +3
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.

If Fei started yelling at me, that would be fine. If she had scolded me, that would be fine. But this? Her quiet anger, and that look of disappointment on her face- it's almost too much for me. It feels like I crossed a boundry I shouldn't have, and I broke a bond that can't be fixed anymore.

My face goes pale as the feeling of utter regret starts to set in. There are so many things I want to say, I'm sorry, or please forgive me, but there are so many times I can say those words until they mean nothing. I try to speak, but nothing comes out. The only thing that comes out of my mouth are meak, pathetic whines.

I try to reach out to her, to hold onto her, to tell her how sorry I am, but I hold myself back. I grab onto my arm, and squeeze tight. I feel like I'm suffocating. I can't even look at her anymore, all I can do is stare at the rubble on the ground, and fail to hold back my own tears.

I hurt her. I hurt a dear friend of mine.

I hurt someone special to me.

"I..." I stutter out, "I... I was afraid. I thought... I thought... if we lost, you and Spade would argue again." I wrap my arms around myself to stop me from shaking, but I fail, "I didn't... I didn't want the team to break up again. You're all special to me, you're special to me. I... I was desperate, I wasn't thinking clearly, but that's no excuse, is it? I... I told you to do that... because I trusted you. Not... not as a fighter, but as a friend, a team mate."

I couldn't hold back anymore. The tears started flowing out, and I couldn't speak anymore without sobbing, "But all I did... was break that trust."

I lift my head up to hers, my face filled with tears and desperation, "Please! Tell me! Tell me what I can do to make this right! Please! I'll do anything! Anything! Just please... tell me.... how I can make you forgive me."

Asking Feijiang:
"What can I do to make you forgive me?"

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Fre +3 | Dan +1 | Sav +0 | Sup + 0 | Mud -1
Potential: 4/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Take a powerful blow from Tunneler:
take a powerful blow from Tunneler: 2d6+0 3
Marking potential

I feel a strike against my arm from out of no where. I was so busy trying to teach Feijiang a lesson, I don't even see Spade strike me.
Metal screeches on metal and it stings hard. No one has ever tried to slice into my metal arm before. It's an odd sensation and it's like waking up out of a nightmare.
My heart races and I can feel the Vitreloy pumping faster through me.
"Release!" It's a hoarse whisper of a command, as I try and catch my breath, but it works. What have I done?
I turn to look at my injured arm. Am I bleeding?.....can I bleed?
But I'm not bleeding, it's a soft indent in my arm, that feels like a numb sensation now. Guess I can take a hit if I need to, or Spade was really pulling his punches.

Take a powerful blow from Spark:
take a powerful blow from Spark: 2d6+0 9
I struggle past the pain and mark two conditions.

I don't have time to react as the fireball hits me square in the chest. I turned to face a non-existent Spade, and got Spark's flames instead.
My wooden flesh starts to crackle and burn, and I fall to the floor in panic. My metal fighting to pat out the flames.
Fear and adrenaline race through me, but I'm ok, burnt, broken and in a lot of pain, but ok.

She had hit me again, by the heavens, this was getting out of hand. Spark needs to learn how to control these powers before she kills someone, most likely me!
Lying on the floor, I'm burning, but on the inside.
I'm itching to fight, to throw some punches, to let some of this fury out. I can see the metal flowing faster and faster through my tubes, coursing sickeningly through my body.
But i'm terrified I'm going to hurt someone. Lose my temper. That was my friend I just tried to strangle, to choke...maybe I really am just a monster now.

I hear the fight drawing to close around me and sigh, relieved.
I had known this would be a bad idea from the start. Idiots! Idiots the lot of them. Ophelia, Ressiant, Gareth. They all just stood by and let us try and tear each other apart. Were they curious to see the results in a controlled environment, I wonder?
No, no, I'm not a monster. Just on the outside. It's the monsters on the inside you have to be careful of. I feel bad for what I have done. I feel terrible, but I bet they don't even blink.
If I could see the observation room, I'd have given it a glare, but Ressiant is still the only one I can still see. No need to flash her anger, I doubt the little dance we performed affected her at all.

I stand up, sore and burnt. This was going to take some time to heal. I sigh, annoyed, at everything and everyone, most of all myself.
The last of my metal scurries back towards me and I let it climb back home, disgusted by the sight of it. It's times like this I think of the metal as separate from me most.

I tentatively approach Feijiang, my metal arm still resting against my smoldering branches of my left hand.

"Feijiang....I'm....I'm sorry. No matter how you may have attacked, no matter my thoughts on your strategy, my reaction was...well it was wrong. I'm sorry. I hope I can somehow earn your forgiveness, though I know I don't deserve it."

My throat begins to dry up and I start choking on my words. Before I make a complete fool of myself, I walk away, guilt-ridden and furious. How was I ever going to fix this?

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 22, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Freak: +3 Danger: +2 Savior: -1Superior: +1 Mundane: -2
Potential: 1/5 Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

She's right. That's the worst part about it Miss wraith is right. This isn't a friendly sparring session, this is an ugly brawl. And I'm useless. I can't do anything right. I mean I did more damage to my own team than I did to our opposition. That seems to be the story of my entire career up to now. Yeah Tunneller shouldn't have dodged but I should have been more careful. This isn't a real fight this is just supposed to be practice and now I've managed to hurt Vitreloy-- Will again. When will I stop hurting the people close to me? Still the least I could do was go over to him and apologise. If I couldn't fix what I'd done I could at least make it clear I was sorry.

But he's more concerned about what he did to Feijiang. "Will wait, this isn't your fault. If anything it's mine. If I'd fought properly. If I'd aimed better. If I hadn't used so much raw power. You wouldn't have gotten hurt. I think that's what we're all feeling for. What our limits are. And right now it seems that I'm shooting way past them. I'm sorry. I know that might not be enough but it's all I can give. You have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Yeah you lost your temper so loving what. We all lose our temper. But I don't think any permanent damage was done. It could have been worse. Trust me." I knew that better than anyone. At least this time I hadn't managed to burn the entire base down around me. Although I suppose the day was still young. Compared to that his self-pity was frustrating.

[00:32] Terrorsol well this is going to go well.
[00:33] Terrorsol Comfort and Support Vitreloy
[00:33] Terrorsol !r 2d6-2
[00:33] Krysmbot Terrorsol, 6-2 = 4
[00:33] Terrorsol hah
marking potential

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Ghost..." Feijiang lifts her hands, and looks over at her friend with tears still hanging in her eyes. Sadness and worry is written all over her face. "I..."

A very uncomfortable silence overcomes the two as Feijiang struggles to come up with something to say. Her eyes dart around to the left and right, and she moves her lips like she's almost about to say something. But for too long, she simply doesn't.

"It's..." Feijiang starts fidgeting intensely with her hands, then turns her neck to look completely away. "It's just- It's not that simple!"

Feijiang groans and clutches the sides of her head as she says that, as if the act of saying those words caused her physical pain. "I'm sorry, it's just- just..."

"You trusted me enough to beat up the other team, but you didn't trust me enough not to argue with Spade?!" Feijiang raises her voice, but buries her head deeper in the safety of her arms. "You didn't even get mad until I got mad. Did you even care about why we were arguing?"

"And I don't want to make you cry, alright?!" She says, sounding almost more irritated than apologetic. "But you can't just go around doing whatever you want and then apologize and make it all better! It's more complicated than that! I mean, it's not just about that, but it's also about- How am I supposed to know if I can trust you next time?"

Feijiang sighs, sounding extremely exhausted. "It's just- you're asking me how you can make me forgive you, and it's- I- you can't just make that happen. And I really don't want to say no, but- I just don't know, okay?"

Feijiang sobs, wipes her eyes, and then goes quiet.

A little bit later, when Vitreloy takes his turn to apologize, Feijiang barely turns his head to look at him. "Um... Thanks, Will." Her voice is tired and monotone, like she's already spent her emotional energy. "It's... well, I don't know. I don't know what to say anymore."

Ghost could keep pushing her, but the way she is right now she seems like she'll just push back harder. That's how Bulls act when they're in the wrong mood. And right now Feijiang is in one mess of a mood.

But tomorrow she'll probably be feeling differently. And she'll probably be easier to work with then.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I want to say something, anything, but I can't. Fei's words keep stabbing me, like daggers to my heart. Do I care? Of course I cared! I care- so why? Why didn't I trust her enough to deal with it? It's not like a silly argument over a plan would've broken us apart. God, Pepper, do you even realize how terrible of a thing that is to say? "Yea, I trust you to be a weapon but I don't trust you to be a person." Did you even think about what you just said? Of course not, because all you're good for is running your stupid stupid mouth, and catastrophizing every little thing that happens.

I gained her trust, only to lose it, and it hurts. It hurts so much. I'm going to lose my friend because I can't stop saying stupid things.

I stare at the ground below me. I can't look at her anymore. I don't deserve to look at her. I don't deserve her.

She deserves someone better than me.

"...Maybe," I manage to squeak out those words after a long moment of silence, "...Maybe now is not the right time to talk about this..." Is there even a right time?

I don't say anything else. I turn, and walk away as fast as I can. I don't want to be here anymore. I just want to lock myself in my room, and be left alone. At least then, I won't be able to hurt anybody else.

I had something, something almost irreplaceable with her, and I lost it, and I don't know if I'll ever get it back, and I don't think I've ever hated myself more than I do now.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Fre:+1 Dan:-1 Sav:+1 Sup:+2 Mun:0
Potential: 2/5 Conditions: Afraid

Feeling that the battle has subdued, Spade pokes his nose out of the ground, and listens to his team mate talk. He doesn't intervene; he feels that he could only worsen the situation, and he's just... tired. Tired of all this self-flagellation and apologizing and... urgh! It's just so frustrating.
It's also mildly upsetting, especially when he hears that apparently Ghost's plan was this ruthless because she didn't want him and Feijiang to fight even more. He finds himself agreeing with the martial artist; did she really expect they were going to break up the team over a defeat in a sparring match?
Yet, this confirms in his mind the impression that he had gotten during the battle at the mall: Ghost has a sharper head for tactics than it would appear at first glance, maybe even more than she realizes. From a purely strategical standpoint, using Feijiang for a surprise attack like that was a very good move. But there's the rub, isn't it? She treated Feijiang like a akrark player would look an important piece such as a furnace or an smithy, not like a person.
He sighs in frustration when he sees his leader run away, overcome by emotions. 'We're digging in circles here' he thinks, gripping the edge of the hole he's in. 'If I don't do something about this, we'll never be overcomers of our issues as a team.' But not now. Now everyone is too shaken, too angry at themselves and at everyone else. But soon, something shall be done.

He advances towards Ressiant. "Madam, I realize this does not look good and you are well within your rights not to trust us on this. But I have an idea that might be a solver, or at least a partial solver, of some of the issues of the team. I would ask that you give me some time to put my idea into practice, but first I must give my teammates some time to themselves, so that they be in a receptive emotional state. It's a little Chthonian ritual we use to solve disagreements."

Depending on what Ressiant's plan was to deal with this situation, and on wheter or not she is susceptible to my words, this might qualify as a Provoke attempt to get her to let the Unbeatable Wonder Valkyries deal with this communication problem themselves. Just to be on the safe side, I'll roll. Provoking Ressiant into letting us solve this problem ourselves
!roll 2d6+2
Krysmbot PXGentleman, 6+2 = 8

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Danger Room

"That seemed obvious enough," Reissant noted to Ghost, a sense of relief present in her voice. At first, she watches the teen drama unfurl before her stoically, with an extra focus on Vitreloy. Even since the battle, she's mostly been focused on Vitreloy, though she has been looking at the rest of the team with some serious concern too. The Tunneler's words take her by surprise and gives her a moment to pause.

"I guess you can try..." Reissant begins, the sudden outburst putting her in a state of confusion.

Reissant stumbles, giving Spade +1 against her

If you look to the entryway, you can see Ophelia standing there with Siegfried, somewhat apprehensive about entering the room. She lets Vitreloy pass with no resistance and she almost seems cognisant of the oppressive atmosphere of the room. She, in particular, seems to be looking at Ghost and her breakdown.

What do you do?

Spark

As Vitreloy walks away from you, you can feel the fire inside of you trying to push out, egging you on to use your powers. However, your mind flashes back to the aftermath of the mall and then images of all of your friends walking away from you appear. It all happens in an instant before your mind snaps back to the present, your powers still stoking the flames inside you to take action.

What do you do?

Vitreloy

As soon as you walk out of the Danger Room, you see Gareth running towards you.

"Will, are you ok?" Any semblance of authority he had over you is completely shattered in this moment, his brotherly instincts overcoming his position as the supervisor of the team.

"Hey, do you want to talk? You know I'm always up for a listen, especially after what happened in there."

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Fre: +1 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: 0
Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless

Miss Wraith grimaced. The group was disintegrating, and that was not a very good thing in regards to a team spirit building exercise. "Clatters," she spoke to her other half, who was still busy rubbing her neck where the ghostly ropes had just held her in place, "You know Spark and Feij better than I do. Stay with them while I try to speak Ghost some sense."

"Now just wait a mi-" Clatterclaw did not have time to properly interject before Miss Wraith had already melded through a wall.

They really needed to do some work in the mutual communication department. Thankfully, she had some ideas...

Miss Wraith appeared from the floor, arms crossed and face stern, cutting off the path Ghost was traversing to her room. "Ghost. You need to stop doing this." Her face was determined, but not mean or malicious. "Stop running away at every bit of critique. Blaming yourself every time there is an issue."

"I know you have it in you to be a good leader. Your plan today was good, and the fact that it went wrong was in no way your fault." She shook her head. "Stand by your decisions. Your acumen. They are stronger than you give credit for. The only thing you lack is confidence in yourself."

Miss Wraith extends her hand, and smiles faintly.

"We can start with going back to the team. You are their leader, and should not abandon them during a time like this."

"It will be fine. I'll stand by you."

quote:

Theantero ´: Miss Wraith, perform a cool Comfort Trick on Ghost
Theantero: !r 2d6
Krysmbot: Theantero, 2 = 2
Theantero: hahahahah

Welp, at least I get to ADVANCE.

I'm unlocking the rest of my bonds.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Feijiang remains motionless and silent, until Ghost is well out of sight. And then she starts to let out a low, pained groan.

"Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh," she stops only to take a breath, and then just continues. It gets a little bit louder, and starts to sound somewhat like a regretful roar. "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhh!"

Then while still making this noise, Feijiang flexes, pulls back her arm completely, and then drives her fist into a nearby wall. "UuuuuuuuuUUUUGH!" It punches out a whole section of wall in front of her, leaving a pretty wide open gap open. Then she turns, catches her breath, and does the exact same thing again, to another section of the wall. "UuuuuuuuUUUGH!"

Feijiang does this again and again, moving down the remaining sections of wall and speeding up as she does so. "UUUUGH! UUUUGH! UUUGH! UUUGH!" After a while, entire pieces of building start to collapse behind her. The helpless building seems completely vulnerable to Feijiang's pointless aggression, which seems kind of like an appropriate metaphor for what happened just before. And then after the poor thing clearly can't handle any more, and after Feijiang just keeps going anyway, the whole thing starts to collapse with her stuck inside.

"UGH! UGH! UGH!" But rather than just let the building bury her under a pile of rubble and regret like Feijiang clearly deserves, she starts stepping back towards the outside and yells at and punches away every piece of debris that threatens to land on her head. Not long after, she's left standing outside a pile of complete ruin.

Then Feijiang just stands there, breathing heavily and looking pretty worn out. She looks too tired to be angry right now and, if anything, looks like she wishes she could just crawl back under that pile of rubble and disappear forever or something. There's a pretty clear weight of guilt in her eyes and on her shoulders, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I feel like I'm in a haze, like all my thoughts are stuck in a muddled cloud. I can't think straight. I'm tired. I just want to go to my room, bury my head in my pillow, and forget about this entire day.

I almost didn't notice Miss Wraith appearing in front of me. When did she get he- Oh, wait, right, she's an actual ghost. Her words are- they're harsh. I've been getting a lot of harsh words today, haven't I? But it's not like she's wrong. I stay silent for a moment, before I finally say, "...Thank you. You're right. I should be there for my team right now, but," I turn my head away from her, "...I just don't know if I can right now. I just- I just need some time alone. That's it." I walk past her, not really waiting for a reply. I feel bad, but I just don't know if I'm in the right state to talk to anybody. I'm sure they can handle themselves, right? They don't need me. I'm not sure if they ever did.

--

How long have I been laying here and staring at my ceiling? A few minutes? An hour? I'm not even sure. I try to calm myself down, try to focus my thoughts, but Fei's words just keep replaying in my head.

"But you can't just go around doing whatever you want and then apologize and make it all better! It's more complicated than that!"

I do that a lot, don't I? I make a mistake, then I cry about it. Every single time. I never used to be like that. I used to be Pepper, the super enthusiastic hero wannabe who keeps running into danger without a second thought. Remember the time you (sorta) took down Metalhead? You made a lot of mistakes, sure, but you didn't cry about them. Remember how proud you felt? You couldn't stop bragging about it for days. What happened to you, Pepper?

...You know exactly what happened. You were put in charge of a team made of people who are more special than you, and the pressure got to you. You felt like you had to do more, be more, to make up for your lack of... everything. Maybe I should give up on being leader, and give it to someone more deserving, like Will, or Miss Wraith. Will has his problems, too, but he'd probably make a better leader than me, in the end.

Would that be fair, though? To give up, after everything that happened? Isn't that just me... running away, again? They all saw something in me when they voted for me as leader, something I'm still not seeing, even now. I'd just be betraying their trust in me, like I betrayed Fei's.

Fei... is she ever going to forgive me? Should I even ask for forgiveness? Is she- is she going to hate me? Agh! Why does it have to hurt so much thinking about her!?

...I think I know what my problem is. I'm weak. All I've been doing is panicking, and blaming myself for every single problem, when I shouldn't. That's not what a leader is supposed to do. Miss Wraith is right, I need to be more confident in my decisions, I need to stop running away, I need to stop blaming myself. I need to be stronger.

I need to be a dang leader.

The haze around me starts to clear up, and I'm finally able to think clearly. I know exactly what I must do. The only one who can make me stronger right now is me, and I think I might know just the right place to start. I make sure to leave a note on my door, just in case anybody needs me.

quote:

Hello!

Sorry, but I'm not in my room right now. If you need me, I'll be in the training room.

- Ghost (Pepper)

Sorry guys, you're going to have to be without me for a little while longer, but I promise, I promise I'll come back to you all as a stronger leader.

I promise I'll find a way to make this up to you, Fei.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 5/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Spark catches me on my way out and starts apologizing for some reason

She is right, it could have been a lot worse. I was bloody lucky, I could feel my vitreloy excited about getting to use it's full power. I had unleashed the monster and worst, on my friend!

"You are right Barbara, it's not all my fault, but some of it and not taking responsibility for what I have done wrong makes me....well a monster." I laugh coldly. "You tried to do your best and I put too much pressure on you. I'm sorry. Do me favour and if you miss, try hitting something other than me. That stuff stings!" I'm smiling, it's ridiculously fake but I hope she knows I'm trying to take it lightly. Her words just don't fix things for me right now, but maybe I can make her feel better about the way she hit me.

comfort Spark: 2d6-1 5
God drat it, can none of us comfort each other right now!
Marking potential
Taking advancement: move from my playbook - Not human enough

I'm not a very good liar, and I think my arm is still smoking, I try and hide it away from her. I just need to get out of here. Things will be better when we have all had a little breathing room.

I pass Ophelia with hatred in my eyes, though I think she takes little notice of me. I have no breath to waste in her general direction. She knows she made a terrible mistake here today, and when I get my hands on my pathetic, stupid, careless, useless brother who just let this all happen, and I-

He's running towards me with fear in his eyes. What the hell is he going to say? Is he going to yell at me? He bloody should. Maybe he'll suggest leaving the team, trying to get this weapon extracted for good, even if it would kill me...It's fine, he can yell, but I got a huge bone to pick with him, I'll yell louder and harder and-

"Will, are you ok?"

My hands shake at my sides, balled up into fists. That wasn't what I was expecting. He's...he's my big brother again, looking after me. I almost can't look him in the eye. I don't really answer, he has got to know that right now I absolutely hate myself and I'm a ball of rage waiting to explode.

"Hey, do you want to talk? You know I'm always up for a listen, especially after what happened in there."

"Yeah," I sigh, my shoulders drop and my fists unfurl, "Yeah, we need to talk, I need to talk to you. None of this is ok. Gareth...I don't know...let's go to my room, I need to pour some Udan waters on this burn anyway."

Gareth has a knack for breaking down my walks like that. All that fire I had just left the minute he looked me, concerned and desperate to check I was alright. Maybe I'm being to harsh on him. Man, we really need to talk.

----

I lead him to my room and start tending to my burn, encouraging the bark to grown a little bit faster with my magic.

I look back to Gareth, and sit down on my bed, pulling over a seat directly in front of me and wave my metallic hand over, suggesting he sit.

"We need to talk. You never said you were going to be supervisor of my team, not once. What the hell happened? Who got you kicked off the council? Oh and by the way, you and I need to have words about this Ophelia person!" I smile at the end, trying to make the conversation lighthearted. He'd never mentioned her before, ever, not once. Let me know there was something going on there. Only one reason Gareth wouldn't tell his brother something about a girl after all.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Spade nods tersely, and turns around just in time to see Feijiang decide that this is the perfect moment to start tearing down the place. After a moment of surprise, he sighs a bit, notices that Ghost appears to have left the premises and mutters something about nothing ever being easy. He goes to Clatterclaws' side, to observe their teammate demolish the holographic stadium.

"She is really a goer at it, isn't she?" he comments, keeping his voice down. "Friend Clatterclaws, I think I might have a plan to pacify our teammates, in hopes that they become better team players and surpassers of their problems. But I need Ghost as well for this. Could you ask Miss Wraith to, ah, ask her to come here?"

Once Feijiang seems to have settled down a bit, he advances towards her. He is not sure how to approach this. "Feijiang? Are you, uh, quite done?" He clears his throat, awkwardly. "Uhm, listen, Feijiang. I believe that we need to be settlers of this situation of yours with Ghost as soon as possible. I might have an idea regarding that, if you'd be willing to collaborate? It's a Chthonian custom we practice when we have interpersonal problems."

Spade very nicely provokes Feijiang into one more attempt at fixing things with Ghost
2d6+2
PXGentleman, 9+2 = 11
Not collaborating will cause Feijiang to get a condition, collaborating will add 1 Team to the pool.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 26, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Well, I could just keep punching rubble all day, but..." Feijiang laughs sarcastically. "Yeah, I think I'm done."

She smiles for a second, but then it quickly disappears as she listens seriously to what Tunneler says. After he's done, she's quiet for a little while longer as she seems to really think deeply about the idea.

"...It's pretty bad, isn't it?" Feijiang sighs. "I really, really messed that one up. She laid out all of her feelings right out in front of me and... I just got caught up in my own. I just made things worse. And for what?"

Feijiang gives Tunneler a weak smile, and then sighs like a warrior admitting defeat after a good fight. "I guess you were right all along. I am too headstrong for this. Can't even talk about my own feelings properly."

"Anyway... fine." Feijiang takes a deep breath. "I'll trust you on this. Just let me make a pot of tea beforehand so I can calm down a little more."

"I haven't really done this kind of thing before."

Tunneler has Feijiang's full cooperation. Add 1 Team to the pool.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Potential: 2/5 Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

I can feel it the fire burning within me. It would be so easy to let it out. I shouldn't have sparred I shouldn't have let the temptation fill me. The world feels so cold and dull and lifeless when I'm not channelling it and when I am it's too easy for me to lose control It's like trying to walk a tightrope over two Piranha tanks. I mean look at Will he calls himself a monster but his arm wouldn't be like that if I hadn't fouled up again. I'm the monster here. All I do is hurt people. I mean he can't get away from me fast enough. And to be frank I don't blame him. They're all avoiding me eyeing me up the way you would a rabid dog wondering who it's going to snap at next.

I can't even blame them for it really. And screaming and crying isn't going to make it any better. No right now I just needed to be alone away from them all. So I couldn't hurt any of them. I walked past the team doing my best to ignore them and stepped on to the balcony by the pool and looked out over the city we were supposed to be protecting. It looked beautiful from up here. All the lights all the people you could barely make out scurrying around below with their own little lives. It looked so fragile. And I'd done more harm to it than any of the villains we'd fought could ever have dreamed of.

For a horrible moment I contemplated just stepping off the balcony. That would be one way to solve my problems. But no that would be the cowardly way out. I had to do better than that. I had to learn to be more than this this thing. This freak this monster. More than anything I needed to learn control. I went through the exercises Eithene had shown me. Breathing and meditating she called it. But it didn't seem to help. I was too distracted to focus. Still at least it was quiet here....

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith

As Ghost leaves, the simulation that was projected by the Danger Room starts to deteriorate, leaving you two in the empty room with Reissant. Throughout the entire series of events, she hasn't moved, though she does look slightly concerned for you and your team. You did just get rejected by Ghost after all. Her general response irritates you. After all, it was partially her fault that the situation escalated to the point that it did.

Mark Angry

"Are you ok?" Reissant asks, her voice disrupting the still atmosphere. Do you want to talk to Reissant about how you feel? How do you feel about how everything has turned out? Do you still have faith in Ghost as a leader? What about the rest of your team? Do you have any idea how to salvage the situation?

What do you do?

Feijiang and Spade

After Feijiang has her tea, you head up towards Ghost's room and find the note that she left. Hmmm, maybe you should go and find her so that you could sort this all out. Then again, how do you feel about Ghost training by herself and slightly isolating herself from the rest of the team? How do you feel about the rest of the team for that matter? When was the last time the six of you did something together that didn't end in catastrophe? Maybe you should work towards getting your team together or do you feel like you need to sort out the current issue between yourselves and Ghost before confronting the rest of the team?

What do you do?

Ghost

Good for you for wanting to train yourself! Unfortunately, you probably haven't really done this sort of thing before. The training room is styled like a dojo with all manner of dumbbells, training dummies and other training devices that you probably don't have the faintest clue of. Still, you make a valiant effort towards training yourself, however you decide to proceed with that. A few moments pass before you see Ophelia entering the room, looking slightly bemused at you.

"You know, training would be much more productive if you had an idea of what you were doing." She quipped, taking her sword out of her scabbard and letting it float beside her. She gave a small smile, but there was a slightly anxious air around her and Siegfried, being a sword, didn't really betray anything. "I saw the sign on your door. It's nice to want to get stronger. After all, what happened in the training room was probably not the best way that could've ended."

"So, uhh, I was thinking, maybe you want to take lessons from me? I mean, if you want. I could probably help not only with fighting but with strategy and other things you're going to need being a hero. How does that sound to you?" She gives a slightly hopeful look after she finishes talking, hoping to get a good reply from you. Well, you did want to get stronger and she certainly does have the experience. But you promised Feijiang you were going to train with her.

What do you do?

Spark

The air is cold as you look over the city. How do you feel looking over the city that you were tasked to protect? It certainly does seem pretty, with all the little lights down below. You take a moment to practice your breathing techniques and reacquaint yourself with your powers. Has your time here helped with any understanding with your powers? Who comes to mind to talk about your powers and situation, if anyone?

As you continue to look over the town, you notice a great big fire emerge from the residential district. The security systems haven't released any warnings and you haven't heard anything from Gareth or the Heroes of Harmony. Maybe now's your chance to gather the team and help solve the crisis! Do you feel confient pursuing the scene or do you hesitate and wait for further instruction. Maybe another team will deal with it. Then again, it does look pretty close to your base.

What do you do?

Vitreloy

Gareth raises his eyebrow in amusement before laughing slightly. It seems that your words have helped alleviate his mood slightly.

"Oh Will, I haven't been kicked off the council. In fact, it was the council that assigned me to your team. We work closely with the Heroes of Harmony for obvious reasons and they were looking for someone to supervise you guys and I was more than happy to take it up." He ruffles your hair before bringing his arms around you for a quick hug. "I wanted to surprise you with it. I guess it didn't have the intended effect I was going for. Still, I also thought it would help since you're new to Harmonia and I wanted to make sure you got along well with your team. As for Ophelia, uhh, she's just a hero that I just so happen to work closely with. Her and Reissant are friends and I got to know her through that connection. She's one of the first people I got to know in Harmonia, actually." He gives a slight chuckle and smiles at the thought of her. He quickly catches himself, though, and looks slightly sheepish.

"Uhh, in any case, I haven't had a chance to ask you how things were going. I'm not going to lie, you looked pretty scary back in the danger room. Is there anything around that you wanted to talk about? Possibly something I can help with?"

How have his words changed your perception of his situation? While you can tell he doesn't seem to be lying, he doesn't seem to be telling the entire truth either. Do you want to press him on your questions or maybe answer his? Do you feel he can help with the current situation or is this something that needs to be sorted between your team only?

What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions: Insecure, Hopeless, Angry

Miss Wraith merely stared forwards as Ghost disregarded her outreached hand and sidestepped her completely, muttering some sort of half-hearted apology as she went. Had Miss Wraith an actual vascular system, this would be where a reddish sheen born of embarrassment and anger would have flushed her face. Alas, due to her condition, only her mortified expression gave any indication of her emotional state. She floated with her hand extended for a good few seconds, before finally letting it back down on her side, even if now clenched with backed-up frustration. Her crush had just totally disregarded her. She had some gall, why, sh-

"Are you okay?"

Miss Wraith turned around. It was Reissant. A respectable woman to be sure. Miss Wraith looked her over, mulling over an answer before finally responding.

"...Not really."

"I'd like to say I was, but I've just seen an example of why excessive self-pity and denial are bad, so..."

She grabbed the hand by her side, and glanced slightly to the side, expression forlorn.

"But I don't have many good points to make yet either. I should probably try to make sense of my own opinions and feelings before talking about them. All I have now is discordant jumble."

"I just don't know what to say. Perhaps later, after I've collected myself. Calmed down a bit."

Miss Wraith nodded politely to Reissant as she made her way back to the arena where Clatterclaw was. She still believed in Ghost and the Team, besides everything that had happened. She just couldn't substantiate those beliefs with fact very well right now. All she had was desperate faith.

Clatterclaw was stretching when Miss Wraith came back, and threw a wave her way. "Hey again Wraith!" She frowned a bit, "Didn't go too hot, huh?" There was no need to wait for any words, the grimace on the face of the usually so collected Miss Wraith was answer enough, "Eh, she'll come around after calming down a bit, I bet."

"But as it happens I have the perfect distraction from difficult feelings readied up." She beckoned Wraith over, "See, the way you threw me around there gave me some ideas we could try out later..."

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty

"Ugh," Feijiang groans melodramatically. "What was I even so mad about in he first place?!"

She points at the sign like it's the most precious thing in the world. "Look, she's training! She's training, Spade! I thought she was losing her way, but she's not!" Feijiang points at the sign again, for emphasis.

Then she turns around to face Spade, and crosses her arms. "So we're going to follow her, right?!"

She seems pretty singularly focused on what's going with Ghost, and it's pretty clear what part of the team's dysfunction she wants to take care of first. If she were on her own, she would probably be sprinting toward the training room already. But she did promise to go along with Spade's plan, so for now she's deferring to him.

Clearing Angry since this is he start of a new scene, and I thiiink Feijiang did enough to hurt the feelings of someone important.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"Alright, well, here I am, in the training room," I say to no one in particular, "Alright, Pepper, it's time to pump yourself up!" I slap my cheeks, and ball my hands into fists, "Yea! It's time to train! I'm going to train the heck out of myself! I'm going to get strong, by training! Yea! Training! In the training room! That's what I'm going to do! I..." I slowly trail off, "...have no idea what to do."

I look around the room, and just feel completely lost now. I'm here, but what the heck do I do now? There's a treadmill, dumbbells, weights, training dummies, and a bunch of other... things. Doesn't this place come with an instruction manual or something? There's gotta be a "How to Train for Dummies" book around here. Oh, I know! Maybe I should start out by punching the training dummy!

"HIYAAAA!" I yell as I try to punch the dummy as hard as I can, except all I ended up hurting was my wrist, "Ow! Owowowowow." I shake my fist, and try to relieve the pain. Okay, maybe the training dummy thing wasn't a good idea. Alright, what about lifting dumbbells? That shouldn't be so hard. I see Ms. Gammon lift dumbbells all the time, they can't be that hard! I'll just start with the smallest one and, "Hrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg," be totally unable at lifting them.

Come on! These are the smallest ones! I can't be that weak! I just... gotta... lift them up, and- yes! I did it! I'm lifting them! I'm doing it! Oh my god why does this hurt so much!

"You know, training would be much more productive if you had an idea of what you were doing."

"WAH!" I yell out, startled by the sudden voice. I drop the dumbbells and phase fast before they hit my feet. I turn around, still a little shocked, and see Ms. Caldwell by the entrance. I rub the back of my head nervously, and sheepishly say, "Y-yea. I, uh, probably should've looked up how to train first, hehe."

Wait, am I hearing this right? She- she wants... to help me train? "O-oh! Y-you want to give me lessons? Like, help me train so I could be like you!? Oh wow! I would- I would," I would love to train with you is what I wanted to say, but the words just don't come out. I find myself hesitating, and I'm not sure why. Isn't this what I always wanted? Ms. Caldwell is my hero, and I've always dreamed of having her train me to be a real hero, and she would be the perfect person to help make me stronger. She has the experience that I lack, and I'm sure I could learn a lot of valuable lessons from her. I should be jumping for joy right now, but I'm not.

...And then I realized why. It's because I already asked another person to help me- I asked Fei.

Fei... she looked so excited when I asked her. She looked like she was really looking forward to helping me, and sure, she's a super emotional hothead (Says the super emotional crybaby), and she charges into things without really thinking them through, and she can be a bit frustrating to deal with at times, but... still. I asked her, and what kind of person would I be if I went back on my promise to her?

I give a long, deep, sigh, "I would love to, but," I hold onto my own hands, and start twiddling my thumbs, "...I already promised someone else I'd train with them. I appreciate the offer, I really do, but this... is actually important to me. I hope you understand."

...She is important to me, isn't she? I should really check up on her, and maybe the rest of the team first. Fei can always help me train later. I get out my phone, and send a message to her.

@Pepper posted:

hey, sorry for running out on you like that. do you wanna talk? if you're not feeling it, we can train together instead.

It just occurred to me after sending the message that Fei might not know how to work a phone, or even know how to check for messages, or how to reply back, or she might not even have her phone with her. Oh well, too late for that now.

"Um," I put away my phone, and face Ms. Caldwell, "Since you're here, would you mind, well, taking a picture together?" I get out my camera from my bag, "If-if it's okay with you!"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Suddenly, the sound of a default text messaging alert comes from somewhere on Feijiang's person.

"Oh!" The warrior jumps with surprise, then opens up a small leather pouch attached to a belt on her armor and pulls out a smart phone. It's a last-generation model, with a thick, sturdy case wrapped around it. It looks like you could drop it from a ten-story building and it would still be fine. It's a lot like her.

Feijiang makes an intense, serious face as she jabs at the touchscreen with her finger. Like this is a battle between warrior and machine. She taps, swipes, and taps again as she navigates through the menus, sometimes incorrectly. It takes her a little bit too long to finally read the text message.

@Pepper posted:

hey, sorry for running out on you like that. do you wanna talk? if you're not feeling it, we can train together instead.

"Spade!" Feijiang shouts, then holds her phone out for him to read. "What should I say?!"

There's an intense, but nervous look on her face. "Should I say yes?! Should I say no?! What's the plan?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

[img]http://i.imgur.com/0VCCFRX.png[/"himg]

Spade mumbles a bit as he reads the note. This habit of Ghost's to disappear (eh) when there are interpersonal problems is really an irritator, and he could see it coming back to bite them in the future. 'This needs fixing, and it needs it now. We can sort out the situation with the rest of the team later.'

When the warrior asks him about what to do now, he raises his claw and answers. "Well, I think-"

He is interrupted by Feijiang's phone. The Chthonian smiles fondly at her excited reaction.

"The idea behind the Alloying is to discuss what you believe is the problem and agree to find a solution with your quarreler. It can certainly be done while you something else, especially something that requires time and not too much...how do you say? Think? That you can do without thinking too much? Do you think you can train like that?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

"Well I can train like that, but I don't think she's ever thrown a punch in her life..." An image pops into Feijiang's mind that looks an awful lot like the failed attempt at training that's going on at this very moment. "But let's try it!"

Feijiang makes a determined, and then starts tapping at her phone like she's punching the screen with her fingers.

@FEIJIANGTHEUNST posted:

Dear Ghost!

I do want to talk! :D I apologize for my actions earlier! :( We can talk while training! :xd: I'm on my way with Spadertal! :killdozer:

SIncerely,
Feijiang

"Okay!" Feijiang slams the Send button, texting the message to Ghost. "Spade, let's go!"

Then Feijiang just grabs Tunneler by the arm and starts running at full speed towards the training room.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I hear my phone's text alert pop up. Huh, that was a faster reply than I was expecting. "Uh, excuse me for a moment," I say to Ms. Caldwell as I fish my phone out of my pocket again, "I think I might need to take this."

My hands start shaking as I stare at the black screen of my phone. I'm... almost a little scared to check. What if Fei's still mad at me? I did hurt her feelings pretty bad. I'm not sure how I would take it if she said no. Ugh, what was I thinking sending her that text in the first place?

Okay, deep breaths, Pepper, it's okay. Whatever she said, you can take it. If she refuses to meet up with you, then it's fine. You can work it out later, just open up your phone, and prepare yourself for th-

@FEIJIANGTHEUNST posted:

Dear Ghost!

I do want to talk! :D I apologize for my actions earlier! :( We can talk while training! :xd: I'm on my way with Spadertal! :killdozer:

SIncerely,
Feijiang

"....Pfffffffffffffffffffftttttthahahahahahahahhahahhahahaha!" I burst out laughing reading Fei's text. That was... not what I was expecting. God, even now she knows how to surprise me. I just laugh, and laugh, and laugh. I laugh so hard, tears started to come out. Why was I even so nervous in the first place?

"Hehehehehehe..heh..heh." I wipe away the tears in my eye, as my laughter slowly starts to die down. I look at the text once again, and a warm smile shows up on my face. I start typing out a reply to her.

@Pepper posted:

hehe great!!! i can't wait!!! see u soon!!! <3

Annnnd sent.

I was ready to put my phone away again, but a thought just came to mind. She's not the only one I need to talk to, is she? No, there's Miss Wraith, too. She was just trying to help, and I just... kinda ignored her. She extended her hand to me, and I rejected it because I couldn't stop feeling sorry for myself for one minute. I'll send a message to her and Clatterclaw, try to make this right.

@Pepper posted:

hey clatters (you don't mind me calling that do you?). is miss wraith around? can you show her this msg if she is?

hi miss wraith!!! (if you're reading this) i've been thinking about what you've said a lot, and you're right. everything you said is right, and i'm a huge jerkface :( i don't want you to feel like i ignored you cuz i don't care! the things you say are very valuable to me, and i'm so lucky i have a smart and cool friend like you!!!! <3

i'm in the training room atm. fei and spade are on their way right now too. you and clatters should join us!!! it'll be like a fun team exercise! :D

if you're not feeling it, i understand :) i just wanted to let you know that the stuff you said didn't go to waste!

see you soon, i hope!!!

<Hugzilla> Ghost is going to text Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith WITH COMFORT
<Theantero> YOU'VE DONE ENOUGH
<Hugzilla> !r 2d6+4
<Krysmbot> Hugzilla, 11+4 = 15

If Rachel opens up, she can mark potential, clear a condition, or shift Labels, and I'm going to clear my condition.

There we go, sent. Actually, since I'm still on this texting train, I might as well send one to Will and Barbara, too.

@Pepper posted:

The same message is going to appear for both Vitreloy and Spark.

hey!!! we're all in the training room. u should join us if u can!!! it'll be fun, i promise!!!

Okay, that should be enough texting now. I look up at Ms. Caldwell, apologetically, and say "Sorry about that. I had to take care of a few team related things. It looks like this place might get a little more crowded than usual soon, hehe."

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 6, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"...Not like that", Miss Wraith said as she tapped her ethereal forehead in clear frustration. "You have to focus!"

"I know how to focus Wraith, I do it all the time when I fight", replied Clatterclaw, currently sitting eyes closed in a meditative pose. "It's just that apparently your focus and my focus are different. You know, I prefer to focus on actual things, not on some ephemeral mumbo jumbo."

Miss Wraith glowered.

"Are you mocking me?"

Man, was she irate. Clatterclaw wondered what exactly had transpired between her and Ghost.

"Establishing a telepathic link is hard, but not impossible. The fault lies in you alone for growing distracted by trivialties! Like what is that, nachos?" She harumphed.

"Right, uhh, the nachos that I'm thinking about right now?"

"Yes, exa-" Miss Wraith caught herself, then coughed awkwardly. "Umm, right. I guess that's done then. And now what?"

"Glad you asked!" Clatterclaw opened her eyes and jumped back to her feet. "Right, with comms taken care of we should be able to prevent that sort of travesty from happening again, or at least have way less of an excuse if we don't haha! But yeah anyway, I was thinking we sh-"

Clatterclaw stopped as she felt a vibration in her pocket. She glanced at it briefly before presenting it to Miss Wraith. "It's for you."

@Pepper posted:

hey clatters (you don't mind me calling that do you?). is miss wraith around? can you show her this msg if she is?

hi miss wraith!!! (if you're reading this) i've been thinking about what you've said a lot, and you're right. everything you said is right, and i'm a huge jerkface i don't want you to feel like i ignored you cuz i don't care! the things you say are very valuable to me, and i'm so lucky i have a smart and cool friend like you!!!! <3

i'm in the training room atm. fei and spade are on their way right now too. you and clatters should join us!!! it'll be like a fun team exercise!

if you're not feeling it, i understand i just wanted to let you know that the stuff you said didn't go to waste!

see you soon, i hope!!!

Miss Wraith looked over the message, and stayed silent for quite a while, obviously in thought, before eventually exhaling deeply. A solely dramatic display, taken that she did not need to actually breathe.

"That girl. Her heart is in the right place, but she needs composure. To stop trashing around like a reed in the wind as the mood strikes her."

Her arms were crossed, her tone serious, but her eyes were considerably softer than mere moments ago.

Clearing Angry

"Perhaps we should take her up on the offer. Give this a second chance?"

Clatterclaw mulled the issue over. In truth, she did not feel all that confident about fighting in front of her friends again without training a bit more first. She was supposed to be one of the premier combatants in the team after all, and she did not know if she could take two humiliations in a row. Failing and getting angry at her friends and allies would just drag them all down. But still, just one glance at Miss Wraith was enough to tell her that she was really looking forward to it. Clatterclaw sighed.

"Sure. Let's get going, then."

She typed a message on her phone as they made their way to the training room.

@Clatterboo<3 posted:

Hi Pepper, and yeah sure call me whatever you want except 'animate trash' since that kinda reminds me of Darkbolt haha :v:

But anyways, Miss Wraith is pretty keen on some more fun and games so we'll meet you there. Probably won't stay all night since we should probably go check on Jessica at some point too

cya soon!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Not too long afterwards, Feijiang bursts into the training room with Tunneler being dragged closely behind her.

"Ghost!" Feijiang immediately shouts, with an apologetic tone ringing in her voice as it carries across the gym. And she starts to run forward, but before she makes it even half a step she suddenly stops and looks back at Spade.

She holds herself back, despite almost every fiber in her body shouting at her to just go with her first instinct to just run, cry, and apologize. And it would be so easy to just let herself do that... but she did promise to let Spadertal handle this.

And let's face it, Feijiang... you've never been that good at this kind of thing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Feijiang's sudden and melodramatic stop causes Spade to be jerked forward rather violently: if it wasn't for Feijiang's iron grip, he would surely crash somewhere in the training room as opposed to merely describing half a loop de loop. It's... actually kind of conflicting. His stomach and heart are in disagreement on wheter it was an exhilarating or terrifying experience. He is still considering this when he comes to an almost complete stop, still swishing back and forth a bit, hanging from the martial artist's hand.

"Ahem. Yes. Feijiang, if you could please drop me? Yes, thank you." It hasn't escaped the Chthonian's notice that Feijiang is clearly upset. Now, it's up to him to help her, just like he promised.

...except he has never been the guid of an Alloying. And the Alloying has never been done with surfacers. What if it doesn't work? What if... no no no, now is not the time to get cold feet. Now is the time to be a maker of things that are happeners.
...surfacer expressions sure are weird!

"Right! Ghost, I had a little idea earlier, a... I am a guesser that you'd call it a custom, from where I'm from. We use it when we're having interpersonal difficulties.Would you like to try it? All it takes is doing something repetitive, that lets you talk at the same time as being a doer of that, like...uhm...." He looks around, scanning the room for something that works. "The dumbells! Would the dumbells be a good start for Ghost? I know you wanted to train with Ghost, Feijiang, do you think that would be a good start?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Dumbbells huh", Clatterclaw sauntered over from a side door, arms crossed and her claws hung over her back, "Got to say that the lack of need to maintain muscle mass is definitely one of the better parts of being dead. I'll always be strong and lithe and pretty no matter what I do or eat, hah." Her laugh seemed genuine, even if her expression was still noticeably weary. "But yeah, simple strength building exercises would probably be a good place to start."

Miss Wraith, for her part, merely floated a bit to the side, acknowledging the group with a simple nod, her expression blank and unreadable. Her eyes locked onto Ghost's.

"You called."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

Wow, uh, they all got here a lot faster than I expected, especially Fei. I know I was the one who called them here, but I can't help but feel a little nervous now, and Miss Wraith's glare is not helping.

"Y-yea. I did..." I scratch my cheek, my eyes darting away from Miss Wraith's, "I-uh, you see- I mean..."

Agh, now is not the time to lose your nerve. You asked them all to be here for a reason! Just take a deep breath, and fight through the anxiety.

"I... called you all here because... because..." Deep breaths, Pepper, deep breaths, "We've... all had a rough day, and I think... staying apart like this is a bad idea. And before anybody says anything, yes, I know I'm guilty of that too!" I hold my hands close together, "I might as well win the award for "running away from your problems," I mumble.

I take a few moments to collect my thoughts, and take another breath, "...I thought it would be a good idea to do something together, like a team. Like, instead of sparring or yelling, we'd spend this time helping each other, but not for too long though," I turn to Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith, and smile at them, "We have an important person to visit soon, don't we?" I give them a wink.

"Speaking of important people," I take a moment to look around the room, and a worried look starts to appear on my face, "Will and Barbara aren't here yet, but I'm sure they'll arrive soon, I hope."

"And yea, the dumbbells sound like a good idea, Spade," I turn from Rachel to Fei, and as soon as I lock eyes on her, I feel my stomach tying itself into nervous knots, my heart started beating a little faster, and my face was getting a little flushed, "Ummm," I held my hands behind my back, and started swaying around, "D-do you w-wanna help me w-with the d-d-dumbells, Fei? I, uh, have been having a little... trouble... with them. It'd give us a good opportunity to..." My face started to get a little redder, "...talk."

I shuffle my way to the dumbbell rack, and wait for Fei. She looked like she had a lot to say, so I'll let her speak first. It shouldn't be that hard, right? We're just... going to have a friendly training session, that's all, and she doesn't look mad at me anymore. So why does it feel like my heart is about to burst from my chest?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 8, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Feijiang nods repeatedly at Tunneler, as she awkwardly, but aggressively agrees with the idea, "Yes! Dumbbells! Right! Good idea! Let's do it!"

Going as fast as she can without out right running, the warrior very quickly speedwalks across the room and towards the weight rack. "A-alright! S-so!" She tries to smile and talk with her usual energy, as if nothing is wrong at all, but it just comes out stilted and forced. "Ummmmmmm...!"

Feijiang looks away from Ghost and just stares intensely at the weights on the rack. Her face is pretty red. "Dumbbells! Free weights! There's many things you can do with them! They're good for strength training! Or endurance! Depending on the weight! It's important to find the right weight for you! And... um..." As soon as she runs out of facts about free weights to recite, Feijiang seems to run out of words to say.

She points at a set of absolutely gigantic weights all the way at the far end of the rack. "Those are my main weights!" Then she points at another set of barbells, which are significantly smaller but still pretty dang huge. "And those are the ones I use if I just want to keep going for a while!"

Feijiang nervously looks around at all the weights in front of her, but doesn't turn her head to look at Ghost. "And... if you want to know where to start, you should..." She bites her lip and thinks intensely for a moment. How do you figure out where to start? It's been so long since she ever had to even think about that! She's been lifting weights for as long as she remembers, because she always had perfect Chi...

"Oh!" Feijiang gasps, suddenly making the realization she needed. "We'll start by measuring your Chi! Okay, hold on-" She suddenly turns around and quickly, but gently grabs Ghost's arm with both of her hands.

"Your Chi is your life-energy, carried in your blood. It's good for a lot of things!" Feijiang slides her fingers up and down Ghost's forearms, rubbing her veins. When she finds a good spot near Ghost's wrist, Feijiang holds her fingers there to measure her pulse. "And yours is..."

"Um... very fast." That's not actually how Chi works. But truth be told, Feijiang has never actually measured someone else's Chi before. "...Yeah!" Feijiang blushes, smiles, then take her hands off and lets Ghost go.

"You should probably..." Feijiang looks at the weight rack. "Just work your way up from the lightest."

Then she walks over and picks over the gigantic set of weights she pointed out earlier. "Okay! We'll start off with bicep curls! Now watch closely!"

She slowly does the lift with one arm, and then repeats it with the other. Then she repeats the process a few more times, at regular speed.

"Oh! And!" Feijiang sets her weights down. You think you can almost feel the floor shift slightly. She flexes her arm to show off her muscle, and then squeezes her bicep with her free hand. "This exercise is about your bicep! This is what should be doing most of the work!"

Feijiang grins, and flexes a little more. Okay, now she's just showing off at this point. But she seems to be in a good mood, so that's part of the magic of Alloying. You guess.

"So..." Feijiang relaxes and rests her arm. Her voice starts to get a little more serious. "I guess we should actually talk now..."

She grabs her smaller set of weights, and then starts curling them in a regular rhythm. "Ghost, I should- No- Pepper, I should really say I'm sorry for how I acted earlier..."

"And... I know I was mad earlier, but I shouldn't have been so mad. I wasn't really mad at you- or, I was mad at you, but-" Feijiang starts to curl a little bit faster. "I was- I don't know, worried? It's just- you've been trying so hard, and- I was so excited when you asked me to train you, but- during that sparring match, I-"

Feijiang speeds up her curling even more, now going at a pretty quick rhythm. "It just- It wasn't the right thing to do? And I did it anyway, so it's also my fault but- I didn't understand why you wanted to do it! And I was worried- We were arguing right before that- and I thought Spade thought I was a bad influence on you- and I didn't know what you thought- and I thought they might hate you like they hate me- but Spade brought me here so obviously he doesn't!"

"And that's how I felt before." Feijiang starts to curl even faster. She's starting to look like a blur. "And then after that I just- rejected you. You opened your heart to me, but I just closed up! I'm- I'm sorry. I just- I'm just- I'm not good with this kind of thing!"

And then Feijiang just suddenly stops moving her weights. She relaxes, and lets her arms drop to her sides. "Listen, Pepper. I'm not- I'm not like you. Only person I'm like is Will, but he's got family. And I- I've never had anyone. I've never cared about anyone. Nobody's ever cared about me. And I've never had to deal with... feelings like that."

"I was raised to be a weapon. I was taken from my original family and trained to become this thing that my new father could use to destroy Fuseon. No warmth, no feelings, just training and brainwashing. And I managed to get out of it, but- I didn't have anyone after that, either. Abel got me out, but he didn't stick around. So after that it was just me, by myself, on my own."

Feijiang furrows her brow, putting on a tough face. But she looks a little unsteady underneath that. "And that's fine, but- When I see someone crying, I don't know what to do! Most of the time I just do what my heart feels like doing, but it's not very good at this, either! And sometimes I do bad things. And get people mad. Or hurt them. And I hurt you. And I shouldn't have."

She gives Ghost a weak, but sincere smile. "I'm sorry, Pepper. I was mad, but I shouldn't have been like that. I wasn't even that mad about how the match went. I just thought..." Her smile starts to disappear, again. "That maybe everything I thought was wrong. I thought I knew you... but maybe I didn't. Maybe I just wanted to think you were like me, but you're not. Maybe we're really different people and that's why people trust you to be in charge and not me. Maybe I just never understood anybody this whole time. Maybe the only thing I'm good at is being a weapon."

Feijiang scowls, then suddenly starts rapidly curling her weights again. "Grrr! Look! This is what I'm talking about! I'm just talking about MY problems! I'm sorry! I'm just- I'm not mad at you anymore, okay? I forgive you! It was dumb of me for me to even be that mad in the first place!"

Feijiang is sharing her vulnerability with Ghost, using the Team Move from The Bull's playbook. Ghost gains influence on Feijiang, meaning she can shift my labels (again). And I hold 2 on Ghost, which I can spend to help them as if it were Team from the pool.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Fre: 0 | Dan: +1 | Sav: -1 | Sup: +2 | Mun: +1

"Her Chi is just fine", Miss Wraith, who had suddenly introduced herself to the scene, said nonchalantly, "But taken that it's the source of her most useful ability, perhaps magical training of a sort would be useful? Ivan could help with that."

Her voice was measured, as was her stance. Indeed, there were no markers to signify that she was intentionally trying to ruin the moment between the two. Even though she absolutely was. Clatterclaw was perhaps good natured enough to let her crush slip by her, but Miss Wraith was not going down without a fight. She might not be as strong as Feij, but she was into theater. It was time for a little show.

Miss Wraith blinked a bit as she met the stares of the two.

"Oh, did I interrupt something? If so, that was not my intent. Forgive me for zoning out for a bit." She hung her head apologetically, "There's been a lot in my mind recently you see" Ghost was quick to feel guilty, that ought to twist the knife a bit. She lifted her head again, demurely, using the moment of fluster to get a read on the two lovebirds. "But unless it was something important, we should get back to training yes? The clock is ticking."

quote:

Theantero: Wraith is trying to pierce Ghost's mask
Theantero: !r 2d6-1
Krysmbot: Theantero, 7-1 = 6

Selfishly shifting Mundane up and Freak down (thus making this a success) as Wraith ties to ruin the moment between Feij and Ghost (whilst maintaining plausible deniability because she's devious like that)

Asking:
How could I get your character to ditch Feijiang and date Miss Wraith instead?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Potential: 0/5 | Conditions:

"Uh... free weights, right." I try to follow Fei's instructions, but I just end up being... lost. There's so much to keep track of, and I'm having a really hard time focusing on... anything, right now. "Uh, wow! Those are your weights? Gosh, you're strong! I can barely lift the small ones up, hehe."

And then she grabs my arms, and there goes any semblance of control I had on myself. My mind goes completely blank, and my face gets almost as red as my hair. I try to form words, but all that comes out of my mouth are a bunch of "Uhhhhs," and "Ummms." My knees are trembling, and I feel like I'm about to collapse. "C-c-c-c-chi! R-r-r-r-r-right!!!!" I stutter out.

When she let go of me, I let out a long breath, like my body just remembered how to breath again, and I feel a little... disappointed? She didn't have to let go of me that soon...

All the nervousness I felt was gone when Fei finally started to open up to me, and I started to feel an almost intense worry for her instead. Oh Fei, is this what you've been going through this whole time? I listen to everything she says, in silence, giving her the occasional nod to let her know that I'm still listening. I desperately want to say something, but... I can't. Not right now. I need to wait for her to be done, no matter how much it pains my heart to see her like this.

"Fei..." I walk up to her, and put a hand on her arm, and gently lower it down. I get ready to say something to her, before I'm interrupted by Miss Wraith. I look at her, a little shocked. Can't she see how much pain Fei is in?

"We should get back to training," I turn my head away from her, and bring my focus back to Fei, "But not like this. Not when a member of our team," I put an extra emphasis on team, "Is in need of emotional support right now, so yes, this is important. You and Spade can continue training, I need to talk to Feijiang, in private." I lower my hand to bring it to hers, and gently grab onto it, "Come on, follow me." I phase us both, and lead her to the nearest wall, "We'll be back soon," I say, before we both walk through into the locker room next door.

quote:

How could I get your character to ditch Feijiang and date Miss Wraith instead?

Not like that, you aren't! It's obvious that Ghost values everybody's feelings, and she felt like Miss Wraith's comment was incredibly insensitive and rude. It's obvious that Ghost values something in Feijiang, so if you ever want a chance to date her, you'll have to find what that value is and have her break it in front of Ghost.

"Sorry, I know this isn't the best place to talk, but at least we'll get some privacy here." I sit down on the nearest bench, and lead her down near the spot next to me, my hand never leaving hers.

"Fei, you say nobody's ever cared for you, but that's... that's..." I swing my head to look at her, and yell, "That's wrong! We all care about you! I care about you! It doesn't matter if you were raised as a weapon, that's not who you are! Don't say that about yourself! I'm so so sick of everybody thinking they're monsters, when they're not!" I put a hand on my chest, and fight back the tears that were starting to well up, "Do you think I'd care so much about your feelings if I thought of you as just a weapon!? No, of course not, I value you more than that! What you used to be- none of that matters! What matters... what matters... is who you are now," I put a hand on her cheek, "What matters, is the Fei standing in front of me right now. That's the Fei I care about."

I bring the hand away from her, and use it to wipe away the tears that started forming around my eyes, "...Did you know I always looked up to you? Back when we first started, I actually thought you were so cool, heh," I smile and wipe away another tear, "Sure, we used to argue a lot, but that never made me change my opinion of you. Do you want to know what I saw? I saw someone with a lot of heart, I saw," my smile widens, and I put my hands on top of hers "A real hero. That's what you are, even if you don't realize it."

"Not like me," my smile fades as I lower my head, "You're right, I do try too hard, and that's because... I'm afraid," my grip on her hand tightens a little, "I'm afraid of letting everybody down. You all made me your leader, and I'm still not sure why. All I've done is run, cry, and make excuses." My body slowly starts to shake, "What happened today, with you and Spade- that wasn't your fault. You did nothing wrong. I was... running away," I feel my throat closing up as I said that, like I admitted something I never wanted to, "I... didn't want to deal with it. I was so scared of screwing up, I... ran, and I didn't even want to admit it." I grab hold of my arm, in a pathetic attempt to stop myself from shaking, "I... I don't even know why I made you do that. I'm sorry. I can't even give you an excuse. I was in such a haze that time I wasn't even sure what was going through my head."

I bite my lower lip, "I just feel so much pressure, and I'm not sure if I could handle it anymore. I feel like I have to be more just to keep up with the rest of the team. I'm not super strong, I don't have magic kung-fu powers, I can't dig underground, I can't control metal, I can't shoot fire out of my fingertips, I'm just... ordinary. I'm an ordinary girl who can phase through walls. That's it. That's all I am! I try! I try to be brave! But I don't know if I can anymore." I start choking up as the tears start falling down again, "I don't even know if I belong here!"

Sharing a vulnerability with Feijiang. If she confirms I do belong here, I mark potential and she gains influence over me (meaning she can shift my labels since she already has influence on me). If she denies it, I mark angry and shift one label up and one label down.

Shifting Feijiang's to Freak down and Savior up.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 8, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"What the hell was that, Wraith?" Clatterclaw stood to the side with a look of disbelief on her face. "For someone who's supposed to be the subtle and thoughtful one you really screwed that one up royally."

"I already said that I zoned out. I did not notic-" "Don't bullshit me Wraith."

Clatterclaw took a step forward, squinting her eyes as she stared at Wraith. "I don't know what you're up to, but whatever it is I don't like it." She sighed in some annoyance to catch her wits before continuing. "Feij is clearly having a bad case of the feelings and Ghost's sense of empathy is so overdeveloped that she's likely to cry for your woes before you even realize you have them yourself. You should know better than this Wraith."

Miss Wraith, to her benefit, did exhibit a fleeting expression of shame on her face. However, that was quickly hid beneath an expressionless veneer as she merely nodded in reply, not bothering with words. This war was just beginning after all, and if she had to sacrifice a small part of her integrity to win, she was more than willing.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 0/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Gareth laughs and I immediately smile. It's so good to hear him laugh again. I always try to one way or another. Just to make his day a bit brighter, I've got to look after the idi- no, he's not an idiot, but he can stupid. Like me.

He hugs me and I hold me him back softly. No one but Gareth has held me since I changed and I still get emotional when he does, he still loves me, sees me as his little brother, not a freak.
My eyes water slightly and I make the hug last a few seconds longer than he wanted, releasing him quickly before he can notice I really bloody needed it.

"Well congrats, you surprised the hell out of me! I was scared something awful had happened. You got to tell me these things brother! We are in this together, and I'm a big boy I can take care of myself. If anything, its not that you need to worry about the team getting along with me but the team getting along with itself. Someone is always crazy angry at some one else for something that isn't anyone's fault. It's madness Gareth, I don't know what to do. Ressiant wasn't exactly helpful when I asked her advice, and your wonderful Ophelia made things a thousand times worse!" I slam my metallic arm against the desk in my room, leaving an indent in the surface...

"And now I'm getting angry for no good reason." I sigh heavily, looking disgusted at the tubes and wires hanging out of my green flesh.
"I....I did something awful back there, in that room Gareth. I hurt someone, someone I really cared about. I hurt Fei and I can't forgive myself. I don't know what came over me. I lose my temper sometimes, but...I guess before I never had a weapon flowing through my veins. And...not that I want to scare you or anything." I lean in close to Gareth, just in case someone is listening in, "I feel like the metal, the vitreloy, I think it was excited by the idea of doing some real damage, the thing it was created to do, I mean I don't know, I don't even know if it can have feelings, but I felt this weird sensation that wasn't my own...I don't know, I just thought I should tell you." I whisper. If there's anyone I could talk to its my brother and if there's anyone I should confide in, it's the supervisor of my team. I lean back in my chair, trying to think things through.

"I need to make it up to Fei somehow. And Barbara too. I feel like I screwed up there, she was trying to apologize but, I don't know, I feel like I came across as false. Too busy caring about myself."

Suddenly my phone buzzes, and I see a message from Ghost, asking me to join her in the training room.

"Sorry Gareth I got to go, team stuff."

I wriggle in my seat, wanting to get up, but I stop like there's something we still need to discuss.

"I need to make it up to Fei i know that, and chat with Ghost, we need to get down to the problem. I need to start understanding my team, not just apologies followed but arguments followed by more apologies, but real communication! That's what I have been doing wrong. I've been too busy trying to fix things but it's more that I need to listen and learn about these people. Man, Gareth, I knew you were smart but, wow, I should have spoke with you earlier."

I get up with a smile, who knew a good chat with Gareth would have helped me see clearly, remember that for the next time I screw up! I race to the door and as I turn the corner I grab the edge of the doorway and swing back to catch Gareth's eye.

"Oh, and by the way, I'd like to think I've known you long enough to know you're hiding something from me. I don't care what it is, some awful news from the council, some terrible press coverage, a secret crush!" I say, widening my eyes, "You can keep your secrets from me, but I'm here for you and you should talk with me about your problems. I'm not the only one who has a brother in the base who wants to help." I wink and run off down the corridor.
"Text me later, or I'm hacking your phone again!" I shout back down to Gareth, a smile beaming off my face.

----

I arrive at the training room to find things already underway. I stand at the doorway, unnoticed. When you look the way I do, you learn quickly how to have light feet, and stay silent.
Fei is trying hard to express herself and she mentions me. It like a stab in the heart to hear her say i'm the only one that she can relate. I feel like I broke her trust. But its good, I should feel this pain, reminds me I'm still human, that I still care about her, and I'd tell her that too. God, how I'd tell her how much I cared, but I'm not the one she wants and I know that. Who could with the way I look?
Stop pitying yourself Will and get a grip. Your friends need you.
Out of nowhere, Miss Wraith kills the mood and Fei and Ghost leave.
I step forward into view, trying to catch Miss Wraith's eye.
I remember my words from before. Just try to understand.

"Hi Miss Wraith, you seem a little shook up. I'm here if you want to talk. It's not like you to lose focus like that is all. You seem a little...out of sorts."

I stand there, a little embarrassed. I feel like I'm standing out in a spotlight, hoping Miss Wraith will save me. She wouldn't have made that little show if something wasn't wrong. Maybe I could help....Not that I'd take it personally if she didn't want to talk, but maybe, if she opened up a little, I could figure a way to makes things better. I hope.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 8, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

"Ah."

Miss Wraith's face scrunched up the slightest bit as she regarded him. "Hi Will. And yes, I recognize this is quite unlike me." She nodded, eyes downcast and apologetic. "I guess I have not been as disaffected by these... happenings as I thought. I know that my usual clarity of thought is one of my stronger traits and apologize for my lapse of focus."

She lifted her head once more, and stared Vitreloy straight in the eyes as she spoke with all the conviction she could muster. "I endeavor to do better in the future. Forgive me."

That was not the full story, of course, for some lingering resentment still bubbled under the surface. Now granted, Miss Wraith felt legitimately bad about having to deceive a good person like Will, but these were simply not the sort of issues and secrets that one could share to teary hugs and accolades and friendships re-sworn, like what the rest of the team had been up to. These were thoughts and feelings that even she recognize as legitimately ugly (even if subconsciously), even if they were her own. Ones that gain you nothing but scorn and not without reason. Thoughts such as 'My crush, the only person in this misbegotten place who might ever be actually capable of holding me, snubs my heartfelt advice, apologizes via some half-hearted text message, and then only to summon me to watch her on the arms of another. And then has the gall to act like I am the insensitive one.'

And to have that another be Feijiang of all people. She does not fit Ghost at all. The girl was clearly just starstruck with the first heroine that happened to save her butt. And Miss Wraith hoped against hope that Ghost would just come to realize this, a conclusion so obvious that she wanted nothing more than to scream it at her face.

But no, these thought were not for anyone but her. And they could not be for anyone but her because it'd just earn her suspicion and hate. And thus Miss Wraith resolved to bury them deep enough that not even Clatterclaw could get to them.

And true to her thoughts, not a single drop of Miss Wraith's internal, angsty thoughtscape dripped past her demure little smile.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Potential: 2/5 Conditions: Guilty, Insecure

Yeah, it's so quiet and peaceful out here. None of the arguments, none of the recriminations I can just sit and look at the stars and not at the city that almost certainly hates and fears me by now. I deserve it I know but there's nothing I can do to change things now. It's just every time I think I've got a handle on my powers they slip away from me again. I'm constantly watching myself now. Wondering if this time will be the time that I go too far again and more people will get hurt, maybe even killed. I wish I did have someone I could talk to as just me, I mean there's no one else like me out there. The last person with even vaguely similar levels of power died centuries ago. And unless I could find some way to conjure up the spirits of the dead or something I don't think he'd be talking. No one knows what it's like how incredibly sweet the flames feel how every moment is a battle not to give into the temptation to let go....

Wait a minute is that smoke? yes it is. A building is on fire, no buildings and it's not my fault this time. We need to do something, I need to do something. But I can't do this on my own I need help if I try I'll only make things worse again like I always do. I headed back into the main room only to find it deserted where the heck was everyone? And then I thought to check my phone, hadn't it vibrated earlier or something? Training room. Right, because more training is a really good idea after we nearly killed each other. Still.

I strode off as quickly as I could "Guys we've got a situation here..." i trailed off as I saw half the team glaring at each other. Well at least they weren't glaring at me. So progress? Clearing my throat I went on "Looks like someone's trying to burn down a big chunk of the neighbourhood. and it's not me. Can we even do something about that?" I asked glancing sideways at Gareth.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: -1 | Danger: +3 | Savior: 0 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Held: 2 on Ghost (Shared Vulnerability)

A look of irritation flashes onto Feijiang's face for a second when Miss Wraith butts in to the deeply personal conversation, at a deeply vulnerable moment. It's sharp, but unfocused -- the type of look that you'd give when you feel deeply hurt but can't explain why. Which is probably good for Miss Wraith, since it means that Feijiang doesn't seem to actually realize what's going on here. But on the other hand, while it's certainly true that Feijiang isn't great at recognizing and thinking about her feelings, she certainly knows how to act on them. And she's probably going to remember this feeling for quite some time.

This flash of anger disappears the moment Ghost grabs Feijiang's hand. The simple touch seems to suddenly render her docile, and then quickly afterwards Feijiang is lead through the wall into the locker room next door.

Feijiang flinches noticeably when Ghost raises her voice, a surprisingly weak reaction from the martial arts expert who must have trained for years to suppress that very thing. But all of that... all of those thoughts and instincts, all of those conscious and unconscious things which have been drilled into her head since early childhood to help her survive on the battlefield... are gone. In this moment, the only thing that exists are the person sitting next to her. And the feeling of her hand being held. And her cheek.

As the conversation goes on, and Ghost shares more and more of her troubles, Feijiang leans closer and closer, and the look of concern on her face grows deeper, and deeper. And when Ghost tightens her grip on Feijiang's hand, so does she.

"Ghost..." Feijiang looks down at their joined hands, then up at Pepper's face. "You're not... ordinary. If you were ordinary I wouldn't care about you. Ordinary people don't work nearly as hard as you do. They don't try nearly as hard as you do. And they don't CARE nearly as much as you do!"

An awkward, embarrassed smile starts to appear on Feijiang's face as she goes back to staring at her and Ghost's hands. "It's funny... that you said I was someone with a lot of heart. Because..." She starts to blush pretty deeply. "That's actually... exactly what I thought about you."

Feijiang's voice is pretty shaky, for some reason. "I always thought... you had a lot of heart. You worked hard, you always did your best, you never gave up... and you never stopped caring. And you didn't back down... even if it have been the dumb thing to do."

"Do you remember when you first said you wanted to be our leader? Right after I made my speech about how a leader needs to be brave and strong? Someone that could charge into battle, and be a banner for everyone... Someone who wasn't... Soft? And then you just jumped in, and challenged me. Something like... 'You know what?! I nominate MYSELF for team leader! And I bet I can do a better job at it, too!'"

Feijiang chuckles, and smiles naturally. "Oh, I was so mad. And then I was just mad at everything you did for so long after that. I just couldn't handle the idea of you beating me. I don't know how you put up with me. I would have thrown a punch at me by now if I were in your shoes. But I guess that's just how I deal with things..."

"But anyway," Feijiang rolls her eyes at herself. "What I'm saying is... you've got the one thing that matters. You work hard, you try hard, and you care. And if you just keep doing that, there's no telling how strong or how special you can become. That's why I wanted to train and spar with you so much. And that's why I got so upset when I thought you didn't care about that anymore! I really wanted to see it happen!"

"I mean... my powers mostly come from my perfect Chi. Some of it's other stuff, but most of it is just that -- the way I was born. But I wasn't born with super strength, I was born with the potential to have super strength. And then I was taken away, trained, and honed to make sure I USED that potential. My father, and the rest of them, they all made sure that I was absolutely everything I could be, and that's mostly what made me what I am today."

"And you... Pepper..." Feijiang gives her a serious look. "You might not have what I have, you might not have perfect Chi, or perfect training, or any of that stuff... but I think I see a lot of potential in you, too. If you work hard, and if you keep working, you'll... I think you'll be very special. More special than Spark, or Spadertal, or Will, or Clatterclaw or Lady Wraith... or maybe even me."

Feijiang nods. "That's what I think."

"But if you're scared, or stressed, or... whatever," she looks back down at Ghost's hand, and holds on a little bit tighter. "That's fine, too. I ran away once. From my father. From the training, from my obligations, from all of that. Someone, Abel, told me I didn't belong there. And I didn't know what to think, so I just left with him. And if I stayed, I never would have had the chance to grow and become my own person. To become the person you know. To be here. With everybody. With you. I'd still be there today, preparing... for some war."

"And-" Feijiang holds on even tighter. Like if she doesn't, Ghost might disappear. "I'm not saying you should- but if you wanted to quit-" Feijiang suddenly chokes up as she says that word. "I'd- I'd understand."

She turns away and tries to hide the tears starting to well up on her face. Her hand holds onto Ghost's even more tightly. "I'm sure... they wouldn't make you stay here."

Feijiang confirms that Ghost belongs here, and shifts Ghost's Savior up and Superior down.

Feijiang also declares Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith as her new Rival. They gain influence on her. Now everybody on the team has influence on Feijiang!

Takanago fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 11, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Fre: -1 | Dan: -2 | Sav: +3 | Sup: -1 | Mun: +3
Potential: 1/5 | Conditions:

"Fei, you..."

It takes a moment for her words to sink in. I have potential? Fei thinks I'm special? I... can be more? The only other person to tell me that is Ms. Gammon, but they- I'm not sure why, they mean a lot more coming from Fei. I look down at our hands, still joined together, and feel her warmth. I belong here. I belong... with her.

"Quit, huh? That sounds tempting, but, I can't quit," I bring my free hand to the side of her head, and move it so she's facing me again, so she can the big, warm, smile on my face, "Not when there's more work to be done." I'm crying again, but not from sadness this time, I'm crying because of how deeply her words have touched me, and I can't even begin to describe how happy I feel right now. I finally feel like I have the strength to face whatever comes next. I'm not afraid anymore.

...Hm. Has Fei always been this... handsome? Is it okay to call other girls handsome? Huh, I never realized how beautiful her red eyes are before. They have a shine to them, almost as bright as her. I can't take my eyes away from them. My body, almost like it's acting on it's own, is leaning closer to her, my lips start trembling. "Fei..." I close my eyes, and soon... my lips meet hers. I'm... kissing her? My first kiss, and it's with Fei. It feels so incredibly warm. I don't want it to stop. I want to stay like this, with her, forever. My arms wrap slowly wrap around her neck, bringing me a little closer to her. I never want to let go. After what felt like a blissful eternity, we separate our lips from each other, but my face stays close to hers. I stare at her beautiful eyes again. "Fei... I... I... I..."

...Wait. What did I just do?

Oh, I kissed Fei.

I kissed Fei?

OH MY GOD I KISSED FEI

My eyes widen, and my jaw drops as I just realized what I've just done. I KISSED her. I didn't even ask if it was okay! My body just moved on it's own and- OH GOD! It did feel really nice BUT STILL. Why did I DO that!? I launch myself out of the chair, my face completely red now. "I-I-I-I-I- I mean! I just! I... oh my god! I'm... I'm.. I'm sorry! I don't- I don't- I don't know what came over me! Uh! Uh! Uh!" Calm down, Pepper! You're fine! This is fine! No, this is NOT fine! I can't calm down! I'm practically hyperventilating! I need to get out, NOW! I jump through the wall, and take myself back to the training room. Oh God! They're all here! It's okay, you can salvage this Pepper. Just try to act cool. "Hey Will! Hey Barbara! Wow! It's great to finally see you two here! For some training! Yep! Training! That sure sounds great, huh!? Boy oh boy! Hahahahahahahaha!" I march awkwardly to the training dummies, "Training sure is fun, guys!" I throw a wimpy punch at the dummy, "Hahaha! Yep! It's a great way to make out with each other- I MEAN MAKE UP, MAKE UP WITH EACH OTHER!" Oh god. Don't panic. You can still save this. "SO Barabara! Will! Where have you guys been!? Not kissing, I hope!" DAMMIT PEPPER, "SO what did I miss!?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Nov 11, 2016

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Freak: -1 | Danger: +3 | Savior: 0 | Superior: +1| Mundane: +0
Potential: 2/5 | Conditions: Guilty | Held: 2 on Ghost (Shared Vulnerability)

It all happened so quickly. Or so slowly. Or... kind of both? It's all an emotional haze, clouded by a million feelings as warm as the sun and as bright as the flowers of spring.

Feijiang had been wrapped up in negative feelings. What if Pepper left? What if she left Feijiang all alone? What if- But then there was a hand on her face. And some reassuring words. And the warmest, most beautiful smile in front of her, and- a feeling in her heart. Something that was new, but also something that had been there the whole time. Something warm, and soft, and tight, and tender, and-

Pepper's face was getting awfully close. There wasn't any more time to get wrapped up in emotions. No time to think, no time to worry. All Feijiang could do was look at her, close her eyes, and then... kiss her. Their lips were touching, and Pepper's arms were wrapped around her neck, and...

When it's over, all Feijiang can do is stare back with a tender smile, and a deep blush. She looks almost frozen in space and time, not moving a muscle except for her heart, which is trying to beat out of her chest. And she stays like this for perhaps a little bit too long, as Pepper starts freaking.

"Pepper... Pepper! Wait! Pepper! I-" Feijiang's reflexes kick in too late. A whole second after her love jumps up and starts running away, Feijiang yells and reaches out arm arm uselessly. And then she's just left there, all by herself.

"I..." Feijiang stares at the empty wall, and then slowly sits back down. Her heart and her mind race as they both start working overtime to try to process what just happened.

But it's obvious, isn't it? They just kissed! Which means- What DOES it mean? What do they do NOW? Does this mean they're courting each other now? Do they have to get married? Does she owe her a dowry? How long do they have to wait-

Wait- Hold on! Pepper's from Fuseon. They don't follow Riavellan customs! But then what DO they do?

Quickly, Feijiang pulls her phone out of its leather posts and enters in a query.

quote:

hOW DOES COURTSHIP WORK IN FUSEON???

A mind-boggling number of lists and articles pop up, presenting a giant heap of exciting and contradictory relationship tips. It's all too much to handle, especially now. Feijiang just stares at the screen for a few seconds, before putting the phone back away.

"I should just- I should just get back out there. Or people will think something weird happened."

A little while later, Feijiang takes the boring door for people who can't go through walls and walks back into the training room. She plays it casually, like nothing even happened. Which might have maybe worked, if it weren't for the entrance Pepper had just made earlier. And how bright and red Feijiang's face is. And the dumb smile that seems glued on her face. And how she seems to go back and forth between staring at Pepper and looking in the exact opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

'Well, that was quite rude on Miss Wraith's part. But wait, maybe it's not considered rude to butt in a conversation like this on the surface?'
Spadertaal's doubts are soon lifted as Vitreloy, being the supportive, exceptional human being that he is, immediately understood that Miss Wraith wasn't quite herself. How wonderfully perceptive of him! Maybe he should say something to him? Yes, he should. It's just that... his tongue feels tied, all of a sudden. Surely...surely there will be another occasion. Surely.

That's when Spark enters the room and announces the situation. Jumping at the opportunity (to help out, of course; not to avoid something as simple as a conversation with a teammate!) the Chthonian rushes out to witness the fire with his own beady eyes.

"Oh no, not again!" he turns to his companions. "How can we be rapid descenders? We must get there quickly if we are to help!"

• Locked thread