Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016
Vitreloy
Fre +3 | Dan +1 | Sav +0 | Sup + 0 | Mud -1
Potential: 0/5. Conditions:

I've never been afraid of heights, climbing trees gets rid of that fear quick but man, even I got a few jitters getting this high up. Can't believe it's got its own solar room, could grow whatever I wanted in here, change temperatures and humidity at will. That's going to make all those clippings my mother sends last longer. This is great! Huh, maybe technology isn't so bad at being in tune with nature. Pretty cool place, can't wait to really check it out.
Promotional video was alright. Who the hell is it for? I mean it's sweet but, what, the wanting kids to look up to us.
Think it definitely makes us look like a proper team though.
Video finishes and I recognise his robes before he pulls his hood down. What the hell is Gareth doing here?
My mouth drops as he tells us he's our new supervisor. Why didn't he tell me?
No way! Oh no! This must be my fault or something, some kind of punishment on my brother from my mistakes. All the trouble I've caused since I got to Harmonia.
He used to govern entire districts, help bring in new laws. Now he's stuck babysitting us lot. drat, if we mess up it'll all be on my big brother...
Gareth's never been my boss before wonder what that will be like, I doubt fun.
I look behind him as he's talking to see if I can spot Ressiant, his awesome bodyguard, but she's not around it seems.
drat, I hope she's still looking out for him.
He says Ghost is leader and it makes me smile. I know she'll do a good job, the best job. I wouldn't have voted for her otherwise.
Gareth reels off the normal rubbish. Don't forget we are being watched. Yeah. That's not new. Besides the fact I am a walking, talking monster, Craven's are always being watched.
Suddenly we are off on our first mission, but all I can do is think about my big brother, and how much I now need to talk to him.

We arrive at the mall and it's chaos. It's funny, all the tree titans I used to know back home were quite peaceful creatures. The sprites were cheeky little asses but they pulled pranks not wrecked buildings. Then again, that's living in Udan for you.
Gareth's right, the pair will be unstoppable, we will have to separate them.
I put my tree like arm to the ground and feel the earth beneath me, sensing the titans. I wanted to know I had magic I'm the ground for now, but I wouldn't act till Ghost told me so. She might see an angle I hadn't thought of, but I was ready for action.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016
Vitreloy

drat this isn't going well. Everyone is working separately. Well at least tunneler has the right idea. If he can defend the civilians, I can can get us back on track.
I saw Clatterclaw in trouble, vines were winding their way dangerously around her.
I had vines of my own ready in the ground, having wanted to feel the earth beforehand and so I made them shoot out myself, near Clatterclaw. Counteracting, twisting and defending her as she dived through the attacking vines.
Now that should have been in the video!

Giving team point to clatterclaw!

Now I needed to help take out the spirte and fast. I unplugged one of my many tubes and heard it hiss as the vacuum released. Liquid metal poured out and obeyed me. For now.
Come on, I need this to work.
"Corrupt!" I yelled, releasing the metal and bending it to my will.
I tried to tell it to corrupt the ground just below where spirite was standing, keep it still, stuck in my metal, away from the titan and with its lack of connection to earth, I might be able to slow its magic down too.
And miss wraith and clatterclaw might get a good hit on him then, if it's stuck.

Jimmy, can I get a directly engage roll please
2d6+2 I think, one for danger, one for acting on clatterclaw info.
I be back home tomorrow, so no more rolls needed then.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 25, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016
Vitreloy

Thanks!

"Yes!" I whispered to myself.
It was working, I could feel the metal responding to my command, slithering along the ground towards the spirite. It soaked into the floor and I could see it corrupting the mall's tiled floors. Soaking back up, below the spirte metal latched onto his feet. I just had to hope it would be enough to hold him until clatterclaw and miss wraith could attack.

Take something from them
Opportunity for an ally

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 25, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 1/5. Conditions:

Take a powerful blow
Take a powerful blow: 2d6 5
Marking potential

I let my metal arm take the brunt of the sprite's attack and got back on my feet quickly, letting it's leathery texture wrap around me and spread the weight. Like this was the first time I'd been hitting by a mobile vine before.

Ghost shouted out to go for the sprite and I started pulling my metal back to me, in order to create a strike against him. But the she goes and changes her mind!

I groan under my breath. Save the people, how am I going to do that?
I looked round, ok hover carts, for the shoppers, that could work.
My liquid metal returning to my hand, I sent it forth once more, across what was left of the mall to collect all of the working carts, get my metal to turn them online, and form a nice big train that I could control and get the civilians out in.

Unleash your powers 2d6 +freak
Save the civilians: 2d6+3 13

"Adapt!" I yelled, releasing the metal from my hand. Willing it spread along the floor in search of working carts to bring them to me. I ran to the unconscious people, keeping my eye on the titan as I ran.
I could hear a faint whistling in my head, was that it communicating with the carts? I could hear the low hum of them switching on. Yes! Was this working?!
I started picking up people and dropping them as carefully as I could into trolleys, and sent them off into the distance, far from the battle.

This wasn't going so bad after all. I just hope the rest of the team has my back while I do this. That titan could easily pick me as its next target.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

How in all of the heavens did things get so bad?

Thank the gods the vitreloy metal was listening to me or things could have gotten a lot worse.

Spark is going crazy, this place could come crashing down around us any minute.
Wait a minute, is that a civilian still in the building?! God drat and she's out cold.
And that sprite doesn't look too healthy, actually, oh gods he's going to die.

"What the hell should I do?" I whisper to myself.
I know what I want to do, I want to grab that girl on the floor and get her out of here. Now!
But my head told me to save the sprite. I could see Miss Wraith working on it, but did she know what to do? I'd worked with sprites, granted they weren't bleeding to death at the time, but maybe my magic could help.
Oh Hell.

Right, fine, do both.

I ran to the innocent girl as fast as I could, trying to stay clear of the flames, and what looked like a fight between my teammates brewing. Oh man, is this the same girl Clatterclaw mentioned on the Comms earlier. Yeah ok, you are coming with me!
Plan, Willard, what's the plan? Ok, as soon as I get this girl, made sure she's alright, pick her up and get to the sprite, make sure he's ok and get them both out of here, away from Spark. I'd just have to hope the team can handle the rest.
Man, I was going to need a sneaky drink after this.

Defend roll to save Jessica
Save the girl: 2d6+0 9

I choose to escalate the situation, since I plan on keeping Jessica with me and REALLY don't want to get her hurt.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 1, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Seeing the flame that could have ended this girl's life dash past us made my heart skip a beat.
I'd done the right thing, right next I-oh hell!
There's too many cooks in the kitchen and this is going to end badly.

Mecha-Saviour flies over and tries to take the civilian from me. My hands grip her tighter out of instinct, but I shake my head and release her to the real hero.
"I did what I could..." I say as he cradles her. "Please, you can get her to a hospital faster than I can."

Oh God he's right my brother! Too busy still full of adrenaline, I hadn't even thought that far ahead.
"Yeah, you aren't kidding."
I look round at the destruction we have caused. Is this all we can do, destroy and kill and even harm the people we are supposed to protect? Maybe we are monsters?
I sighed heavily. Someone has set my brother up to fail. Someone wants him to look bad. Hell, this team was never going to work, you can tell that by the way we are dragging half of our self-destructive team away from the scene.
I'm going to have to fix that somehow, put this metal to some use.

I stare up at Mecha-savior. He must think we are menaces, but then again, now I've given him this girl, there's now way someone couldn't say we aren't the bad guys here. Looks like we haven't saved the day, and we didn't but we sure as hell tried to. Can I trust this guy, and the rest of these late heroes to not throw us to the press like cattle for slaughter?

Pierce the mask 2d6-1
Pierce Mecha-savior's mask: 2d6-1 7

What are you really planning?

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 2, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 2/5. Conditions:

The mission is over and more than anything I wish this metal had the power to turn back time.
I could fix everything that went wrong if if did.
Having escaped the press and gotten back to the base, I noticed everyone go their separate ways. The team seemed splintered and I shouldn't have been surprised. We all had to go lick our wounds in our own way.
After Spark had her injuries looked at, I saw her recovering on a bed in the base. She'd wake up soon enough, but I didn't want to leave her. After all that, after such a loss of control, waking up on your own has got to suck.
I hardly knew her really, we had fought and that had not ended well, but after everything I didn't think of her as a monster. Not like me.
An internal battle seemed to rage inside of me, thinking about how I would feel to have nothing and no one when I woke up,
I resolved to do something, even if we weren't the best of friends.
I grabbed a tech-pad and wrote her a note, and placed it on the table by where she was resting.
Waking up to my ugly form would probably make her want to fall back unconscious.
I left her to sleep, hoping I'd done the right thing.

quote:

Hey Spark,

Hope you're feeling better.
If you need anything, just call on the comms, I'm not far away.
I know what it's like to lose control. I've been there. You ever want to talk just grab me.
You ever want to spar again just grab me! I'm not afraid, I can take a few hits from you. Just try and aim for the metal. Wood and fire don't mix well.
There's a team meeting later, I'm hoping i'll see you then.
We are going to come back from this.
It's just one bad day.
Rest well
Vitre Will

It's just one bad day. I always tell myself that one. I don't believe it yet but maybe if I say it enough one day I will.
I decide to sit on the outside of the base, watching for the transport that will bring my brother here.
Waiting I start messing around with the Vitreloy metal I haven't yet put back into my tubes.
I think hard and allow it to sit in my palms.
"com...communicate." I tell the metal to receive any open channels it can find, absorbing any unprotected broadcasts, giving them to me, feeding me information.
I've gotten better at this than last time.
News feeds, radio waves, a few phone calls here and there. You'd think people would have better security.
Overall we are getting called a sham. A botched project. Seems some people don't want to hate us, everyone got out alive, but the devastation we've caused and the lack of control.
This is bad. Gareth and I are going to have to work hard to fix that, but now I feel like I can. I feel like we can come back from this. I just need to support the team the right way, give them the help they need.
I seemed to do alright during the mission, it was just bad luck and annoying circumstance that got in the way. Mecha-saviour seemed to think so. He seemed happy with my efforts to save people at least.
Yeah, all of this just needed me to support the team better, I'd have to work harder, but Craven's aren't one from shying away from a challenge.
I eventually see Gareth's transport incoming and walk to the meeting room.

----

I walk into the debriefing room, a few people are already here. I take the closet seat next to me, still playing with a ball of metal in my right hand.
The team looks beat but we can come back from this.
I just hope Ressiant is with my brother when he walks through that door. With this backlash, my brother is going to need his bodyguard.
And man, I could do with seeing her myself, she always lifts my spirits. She'd know what to do to help us be a better team.

Grow closer to the team, specifically Spark, giving influence to Spark and marking potential

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Gareth enters.
Man, he looks bad! Like after that Craven report in the Daily Harmonia. Gareth doesn't get angry, he carries the stress and disappointment inside him. Trying to hide it from everyone.
Then I see Ressiant and my whole day get better!
By the heavens, it was good to see her. My whole body relaxed. Had I been worrying about Gareth that much? Of course I had, he might take death threats as some normal thing for a councillor, I don't.

I smile at Ressiant, sure she wasn't going to smile back at me, she's on duty. If I can catch her later though, maybe we can chat. And maybe she can explain to me how my brother even got stuck in this mess looking after a bunch of disaster creating teens.

Huh? Funny. Gareth had never mentioned Sabre knight before. Then again Gareth knows a lot of people. I like her, she seems fun, and exciting. But twitch when she mentions training vids and sending them to the press. Training is important but one of us could easily loose control in these danger rooms and how good is that going to look. I'm not thinking about Spark as I say it. I look down at the metal, twirling in my hands.
"Release." I whisper into my hand. The metal slinks down my arm and squirms it way into a tube on my chest. Best to put that stuff away for now.

Then Ressiant butts in like I knew she would, calming everything down and says the exact thing I wanted to hear.
Yes! That's exactly what this team needs. Time to actually be a team! We need to get to know each other, find our places.
Sparring seems to be on a lot of people's minds, and I like that Miss Wraith is speaking out. Such confidence, she just tells it like it is, no messing around. That's someone I can be friends with!

"I quit"

I stand up so quickly out of my chair it falls over, twisting in my tubes as it moves, getting tangled.
Spark explains how she wants to be put in a lab or a cell! No loving way! I'm not letting that happen.
I nearly got put in one of those things, and look at me I am a monster. Spark is not a monster.
I want to say all these things, I want to stop her but Ghost gets there first.
....it's not the approach I would have used but it looks to have worked.

Ghost talks about not being alone and I smile. I knew she'd be a good leader, the best leader.

Having untied myself from the chair- giving a glance to Gareth letting him know he better not laugh at me! - I walk closer to Spark.

"Spark please, Ghost is right, you aren't alone here. We are your team, your friends, and we aren't letting you go to some damned hole in the ground to be forgotten, you hear me? I've lost control of my powers before, the metal's gone wild. I wish I'd had people by me when it happened. A team to stand behind me and make sure I was ok. Friends who I could talk to. Hell, if it hadn't been for my brother, those assholes who assumed I was a danger would have taken my own skin and blood off me as government property. But you've got us, us heroes don't shy away from a fight and we stand together, you got a place to work on your powers now and learn about them and people who aren't afraid of you Spark! People who care and- well drat- I mean I can't speak for everyone but I know I'd take a few hits from you if it meant you'd think better of yourself than this. You're strong Spark and no body here thinks you're a monster. Trust me, I know better than anyone."

I did know, I know the face some one makes when they see one. I get it all the time. No one in this room thought she was a monstrosity. Like I knew she did, she thought of herself as I dangerous freak. I know, cause she's making the same face I've caught myself making every morning in the mirror. But Spark wasn't a freak, ok dangerous I'll allow, but that can be changed.

quote:

Using the move Wish I could be: Comfort someone by telling them what you envy about them and roll +freak instead of mudane
comfort Spark: 2d6+3 8
Clear a condition, mark potential, or shift labels, Spark.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Clatterclaw leaves with such anger and I want to say something but what is there to say. Ressiant follows her and I know she'll do the right thing, know what to say.

Ghost calls me over, she wants me to stay with Spark for a bit.
"Hey, you know I've always got your back and yeah, sure, I've no problem staying with her for a while."
In fact, I had no problem being near her at all, for how ever long I could get away with. But having the excuse of the leader told me to, would make my appearance easier for everyone. Hanging around the team felt odd, I knew they must thing I was strange but man I needed them.
Ghost tells me off for thinking I'm a monster, saying I'm a hero.
"Hey, I couldn't have done it without you guys. I'll mess up one day, I just hope you're there when I need you."
It sounds a bit more desperate than I wanted. I know one day the metal won't listen to my commands and on that day I know the team will have to carry me. At least this time, I was able to hold things together.
I run off to catch up to Spark, keeping to her left side.

"Hey, I hope you don't mind if I tag along for a while? I just...just wanted to keep you company."
I've suddenly gotten shy and I don't know why. Funny, after giving such a speech in front of the group, that a one to one conversation with Spark would leave me speechless.

She heads off to the arena and I give her a little thumbs up. Clatterclaw seems to have calmed down some too, which is great.
Ressiant seems to be staying in the danger room too and I slide up next to her.
"Hey, do you mind if I come inside with you? I won't get in the way, I swear. I'm not a big fighter but I can take care of myself. I won't interfere with Clatterclaw, Miss Wraith and Spark...unless you say it's ok of course?"
I say the last part jokingly, hoping to catch a smile from her. I don't expect her to drop the bodyguard act in front of the team though.
But I walked inside with them, I'd been asked to stay with Spark, I wasn't going to just let her go into the danger room alone.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 2/5. Conditions: Afraid

The entire room changes and I'm lost in awe for a second.
This place is amazing, who knew we could design landscapes like this.

I look to the combatants.
Without looking at her, I speak quietly to Ressiant, knowing I probably won't get a response. She''l be busy reading the field.
"I was tempted to ask if I could join Spark, two versus two, make it more of a fair fight. But it's not my fight. I just want to make sure if things go badly, from either opponent, I'm on hand. Not that I don't think you could take down the whole team if you felt like it, Ressiant. I'll only get involved if you ask me to, if something dangerous happens."

I look back to the battleground and notice that Miss Wraith has disappeared. I unhook a tube and let my metal pour out again.
I don't plan on using it but if things go south, it's good to know i'm ready.

Suddenly the lights go out. My cybernectic eye glows red in the dark, and I can make out some shapes here and there, but it's difficult to tell what is my team and what is a pretend rock formation.
I weigh my options and think it's going to be worth while using the vitreloy to adapt my eyesight, improve it for the darkness, but just as I am about to give the command, light shoots out from Spark. and I shield my eyes.

This is going to be an interesting fight.

"Adapt." I whisper.
I could feel the lights weren't just off here but everywhere. How much damage had occured to the electrical systems with that blow out?
I'd have to check. I sent the vitreloy off to find the main power outputs, check everything was ok, that our secrutiy systems and you know, the system that keeps up from falling to the ground! - were still in working order, and maybe turn the power to the lights back on to the base.
But not here, in the danger room, of course, that would interfere with the fight.

Unleash your powers 2d6+3
turn the lights back on in the base: 2d6+3 8
I take afraid to stop the move from being unstable or temporary, since Vitreloy is scared the base is compromised.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 9, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Afraid

I take a deep breath as Clatterclaw yields. How long had I been holding it?
Guess I was more nervous than I thought.
I look up to Ressiant, she's so cool and collected.
Here I am, practically panicking.
I wish I knew what she was thinking.
What she thinks of my new friends.

pierce Ressiant's mask: 2d6-1 3
Marking potential

I feel like i'm staring at her awkwardly, she's so hard to understand.
Sure she kind of let loose a bit that time she came into Gareth's and I got to know the real her, but when Ressiant is on the clock I just can't get a reading off her.
I sigh defeated, the last of my metal returning to me after fixing the power supply, absorbing back into my body.

"Re...Ressiant? I didn't want to ask before. What with the sparring and everything. And I know you can't let your guard down or anything...but...well I was wondering...if I could ask for some advice. You saw the mess earlier. What can I do? How can I fix this? I feel like the team is, well, not sure of itself. Most of my allies are either afraid of their powers or afraid of themselves. I was wondering if you knew what I should do?"

She'd had training and experience, plus I'd seen her lead teams before. I felt a little lost trying to keep the team intact, maybe she knew a better way than I did.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Insecure

Ressiant is more of an rear end than ever today. Fine, if you want to cut me where it hurts I'll leave you alone! You can just say you are done being nice to the baby brother if that's how you are going to act. Cause that's all I am isn't it. A baby brother who needs babysitting.

Ressiant jumps down and I join her a little unnerved by her words. She congratulates the girls on how well they did. My intervention huh? Rubbing salt in the wound more like. What the hell was Ressiant playing at thinking I didn't know she thought so little of me.

I hear the plan to have a full team fight and my stomach jumps into my mouth, my head shaking. This is not the time to fight, no, no, no! We need to come together now. Learn about each other as people, not fighters. Oh man! Now I have to use my metal against the team. This can only end badly!

"Oh, hi Willard- you don't mind if I call you Willard, right?"

"Erm, Will is fine. Only my mum calls me Willard, and my brother when he's pissed at me. Rachel ok?" I ask, pointing at Clatterclaw and Miss Wraith. I'm still a little fuzzy on the details and whether they want different nicknames now they are separate. But I'm a little busy trying to come up with a strategy to get out of this chaos I can see clearly heading my way.

Clatterclaw seems nervous somehow, I don't blame her who wants to talk to the monster, huh? But she's apologising. My hands go up.

"You have nothing to apologise for. My family is used to this and my brother could do with a bit of stress in his life, might make him talk to me a bit. The harder things get the more he closes himself off from me. Maybe if things get a bit stressful for him, it might force him to rely on his family, and us." I smile, I have to admit, having seen how my brother let's us all bicker and fight has let me see that my brother has no intention of making us a good team or good heroes; he wants an easier mess to clean up. Never thought I'd start thinking my brother had such a big ego but maybe he is just thinking all about himself right now. Maybe some bad press would teach him a lesson.

"Like, I know you probably feel bad about what happened too, but you were one of the better performers out there. I think you'd make the best leader for the four of us. It's obvious you have it in you."

"Me? M-m-m-me?"
I'm in shock. Eyes wide a bit uncertain.
Wow, I mean that was not something I was expecting.
Suddenly I don't feel so afraid. Maybe this fight could help us, and maybe fighting could teach us about each other. Nice that Clatterclaw thought so....highly of me! Huh, could I be a good leader? Guess I could try.
I take a deep breath and look at my teammates.

"I...I would be happy to try, to try and help keep us focused. And Rachel? Please, I was only one of the better performers out there because I was drat lucky! My metal could decide not to listen to me anytime. Just like one false move could hurt someone more than you mean to, right? You can't blame yourself for accidents like that, just learn from them. I know you have taken this hard on yourself, but you don't have to. We are all here for you. I wish I had the choice to get better like you can. One false command and my metal could go off on its own. You can train and hone your skills, and every step of the way you'll get further. You have nothing to apologise for. Your claws are apart of you. Your nature, never think badly of them."

I look back to my own deformed hand, and wince slightly. Just another reminder that I wasn't the same. This wasn't my nature, it was my curse.

Using the move wish I could be
Comfort Clatterclaw: 2d6+3 13
Clear a condition or mark potential Clatterclaw

"And same with you Spark, losing control of your powers isn't your intention. We all make mistakes and sometimes things go wrong. We just have to be able to stand together and help each other where we can. Trust me, I hope you guys can save the day when Vitreloy makes things worse."
I say it trying to build the team back up.

"But I have no intention of backing down here! Let's fight!"

I encourage the group to huddle together.

"Now, stop me if I'm wrong. But...well here's my thinking."
I turn to Miss Wraith.
"Miss Wraith, you have a gift unlike anyone else here. The ethereal, magic, your ability to move through objects with ease. One thing that sets you apart. And right now I need that. Ghost could move through an attack I throw at her. Same with Clatterclaw and we all saw her phase through Spark's fire. I need you to focus on her. Your magic could hit her, an attack she can't dodge, ghosting or not." I look confident, It's my best idea so far and i just hope it works. "I mean, it's worth a shot right?"

I turn to Spark
"Spark, when you have control you are unstoppable and your strength is incredible. I need you to focus on Fiejing. She's strong. Way too strong for me. She could pummel me into the ground, but your fire can keep her at bay. Keep her at range. You're powerful and you're clever. I've just seen you think on your feet, don't doubt yourself." I nod to her, reassuringly. "But I also need you to keep feijing away from her allies. That's how your fire will help us. Keep her distanced. If the group come at us together, throw some fire their way. Get them alone. We can use our strengths against them that way."

"I will be focusing tunneler. He can use the ground itself to hide and give him advantage but my magic is nature, the dirt itself. I should be able to stop him in his element. Literally. If he comes at me with his runes, I'll use the metal, immobilise him and stop him from escaping."

Last, but not least!
"Clatterclaw! You are tough, brave and above all agile! The way I saw you move through those vines, your attacks are graceful and precise, while still standing firm and strong. I need you to be my eyes across the battlefield, assess the battleground and go were you are needed. Support whomever needs help. Whether one of other side surprise attacks someone, or a weakness is exploited, I need you there to help cover us, and, to be honest, I feel like it's me you're going to have to help. I know Tunneler the least and understand nothing about his runes. I just have to hope I can hold him off with my metal."

I kind of like this leader thing. It's nice to think plans through, but I'm getting ahead of myself. This isn't about me, it's about the team.

"We are lucky. It's 4 vs 3, in our favour. But that doesn't mean we have an easy fight. We need to stand strong. Be ready to swap opponents if things get rough, and think on our feet, stay fluid with the fight. I trust you all to do your best. Above all guys; communicate.
So tell me. And be honest. If you think my ideas suck, tell me. If I've read your strengths wrong let me know. These are the ideas I had. Not what we need to do. I know, as you are probably sick of hearing now, we can do this if we listen to one another. What do you guys think?"

Cleared Afraid from Clatterclaw's comfort

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 18, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions: Insecure

Ghost, Feijing and Tunneler all appear and the room changes again.
A city landscape; figures, we need practise in one. It's where we will all be fighting the most.
I look to the three opponents, a little pit of fear in my stomach. I really didn't want to lose, but I didn't want to hurt anyone more. The temptation to just shout that I quit was interesting, I'd not expected to want to run like this, but it was fear of the harm I could do to the people I wanted to hurt the least.

"Good luck, guys. May the best team win and all that, yea?"

I wave at Ghost, she's so good at this. Such a good leader, but she looks so sad. Maybe she's a little bit terrified like me.

"Good luck to you too! Let's just do our best everyone!"

I turn to my team and nod at them in confidence. God knows if my plan will work, more than anything I just want my team to know that I believe in them and that as long as they know their strengths we can do this. I sound like old superhero monologues my mother used to read to me, sheesh!

I shake my head and get back into the game, unplugging my tubes and letting the metal flow out to my hand. I was ready...mostly.

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 3/5. Conditions:

Clearing last condition with my comfort roll

"Dirty move." I say, more to myself than anything.
Was it wrong of me to expect my teammates to play fair? Guess I was wrong to think so well of them.

Fiejing's fist connects with Clatterclaw and something in me snaps.
Call it self control, call it will power, I don't know, but suddenly I've lost all sense of this as a simple sparring match. I just really want to gently caress up the other teams day.

"Spark, hit them. Hit Tunneler and Ghost for everything you got. I've got the girl." My voice is mechanical, my bionic eye glows a deep red and the metal in my hand jumps excitedly, like a child waiting for its turn to play.

"Eradicate..." I'd sworn I would only use that command when I absolutely had to, but I was so angry. I thought there was even honour amongst thieves. Oh well, guess I was wrong about everything.

My metal releases from my hand, a tornado of energy spewing forth and I command it to find Feijing, slither deep within her armour and choke the life out of her. How dare she! How dare she strike before the match had been called. Underhanded, disgusting, dirty trick. I'd expected better from a hero of Harmonia. Maybe it was time to show her what a really monstrous attack looked like.

directly engage Fiejing: 2d6+1 9
Create an opportunity for my allies

Take a powerful blow
take a powerful blow: 2d6+0 9
I lash out verbally, provoking Spark to take on two enemies at once.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 20, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 4/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Take a powerful blow from Tunneler:
take a powerful blow from Tunneler: 2d6+0 3
Marking potential

I feel a strike against my arm from out of no where. I was so busy trying to teach Feijiang a lesson, I don't even see Spade strike me.
Metal screeches on metal and it stings hard. No one has ever tried to slice into my metal arm before. It's an odd sensation and it's like waking up out of a nightmare.
My heart races and I can feel the Vitreloy pumping faster through me.
"Release!" It's a hoarse whisper of a command, as I try and catch my breath, but it works. What have I done?
I turn to look at my injured arm. Am I bleeding?.....can I bleed?
But I'm not bleeding, it's a soft indent in my arm, that feels like a numb sensation now. Guess I can take a hit if I need to, or Spade was really pulling his punches.

Take a powerful blow from Spark:
take a powerful blow from Spark: 2d6+0 9
I struggle past the pain and mark two conditions.

I don't have time to react as the fireball hits me square in the chest. I turned to face a non-existent Spade, and got Spark's flames instead.
My wooden flesh starts to crackle and burn, and I fall to the floor in panic. My metal fighting to pat out the flames.
Fear and adrenaline race through me, but I'm ok, burnt, broken and in a lot of pain, but ok.

She had hit me again, by the heavens, this was getting out of hand. Spark needs to learn how to control these powers before she kills someone, most likely me!
Lying on the floor, I'm burning, but on the inside.
I'm itching to fight, to throw some punches, to let some of this fury out. I can see the metal flowing faster and faster through my tubes, coursing sickeningly through my body.
But i'm terrified I'm going to hurt someone. Lose my temper. That was my friend I just tried to strangle, to choke...maybe I really am just a monster now.

I hear the fight drawing to close around me and sigh, relieved.
I had known this would be a bad idea from the start. Idiots! Idiots the lot of them. Ophelia, Ressiant, Gareth. They all just stood by and let us try and tear each other apart. Were they curious to see the results in a controlled environment, I wonder?
No, no, I'm not a monster. Just on the outside. It's the monsters on the inside you have to be careful of. I feel bad for what I have done. I feel terrible, but I bet they don't even blink.
If I could see the observation room, I'd have given it a glare, but Ressiant is still the only one I can still see. No need to flash her anger, I doubt the little dance we performed affected her at all.

I stand up, sore and burnt. This was going to take some time to heal. I sigh, annoyed, at everything and everyone, most of all myself.
The last of my metal scurries back towards me and I let it climb back home, disgusted by the sight of it. It's times like this I think of the metal as separate from me most.

I tentatively approach Feijiang, my metal arm still resting against my smoldering branches of my left hand.

"Feijiang....I'm....I'm sorry. No matter how you may have attacked, no matter my thoughts on your strategy, my reaction was...well it was wrong. I'm sorry. I hope I can somehow earn your forgiveness, though I know I don't deserve it."

My throat begins to dry up and I start choking on my words. Before I make a complete fool of myself, I walk away, guilt-ridden and furious. How was I ever going to fix this?

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 22, 2016

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 5/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Spark catches me on my way out and starts apologizing for some reason

She is right, it could have been a lot worse. I was bloody lucky, I could feel my vitreloy excited about getting to use it's full power. I had unleashed the monster and worst, on my friend!

"You are right Barbara, it's not all my fault, but some of it and not taking responsibility for what I have done wrong makes me....well a monster." I laugh coldly. "You tried to do your best and I put too much pressure on you. I'm sorry. Do me favour and if you miss, try hitting something other than me. That stuff stings!" I'm smiling, it's ridiculously fake but I hope she knows I'm trying to take it lightly. Her words just don't fix things for me right now, but maybe I can make her feel better about the way she hit me.

comfort Spark: 2d6-1 5
God drat it, can none of us comfort each other right now!
Marking potential
Taking advancement: move from my playbook - Not human enough

I'm not a very good liar, and I think my arm is still smoking, I try and hide it away from her. I just need to get out of here. Things will be better when we have all had a little breathing room.

I pass Ophelia with hatred in my eyes, though I think she takes little notice of me. I have no breath to waste in her general direction. She knows she made a terrible mistake here today, and when I get my hands on my pathetic, stupid, careless, useless brother who just let this all happen, and I-

He's running towards me with fear in his eyes. What the hell is he going to say? Is he going to yell at me? He bloody should. Maybe he'll suggest leaving the team, trying to get this weapon extracted for good, even if it would kill me...It's fine, he can yell, but I got a huge bone to pick with him, I'll yell louder and harder and-

"Will, are you ok?"

My hands shake at my sides, balled up into fists. That wasn't what I was expecting. He's...he's my big brother again, looking after me. I almost can't look him in the eye. I don't really answer, he has got to know that right now I absolutely hate myself and I'm a ball of rage waiting to explode.

"Hey, do you want to talk? You know I'm always up for a listen, especially after what happened in there."

"Yeah," I sigh, my shoulders drop and my fists unfurl, "Yeah, we need to talk, I need to talk to you. None of this is ok. Gareth...I don't know...let's go to my room, I need to pour some Udan waters on this burn anyway."

Gareth has a knack for breaking down my walks like that. All that fire I had just left the minute he looked me, concerned and desperate to check I was alright. Maybe I'm being to harsh on him. Man, we really need to talk.

----

I lead him to my room and start tending to my burn, encouraging the bark to grown a little bit faster with my magic.

I look back to Gareth, and sit down on my bed, pulling over a seat directly in front of me and wave my metallic hand over, suggesting he sit.

"We need to talk. You never said you were going to be supervisor of my team, not once. What the hell happened? Who got you kicked off the council? Oh and by the way, you and I need to have words about this Ophelia person!" I smile at the end, trying to make the conversation lighthearted. He'd never mentioned her before, ever, not once. Let me know there was something going on there. Only one reason Gareth wouldn't tell his brother something about a girl after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarlettsmiles
Jul 28, 2016

Potential: 0/5. Conditions: Angry, Guilty

Gareth laughs and I immediately smile. It's so good to hear him laugh again. I always try to one way or another. Just to make his day a bit brighter, I've got to look after the idi- no, he's not an idiot, but he can stupid. Like me.

He hugs me and I hold me him back softly. No one but Gareth has held me since I changed and I still get emotional when he does, he still loves me, sees me as his little brother, not a freak.
My eyes water slightly and I make the hug last a few seconds longer than he wanted, releasing him quickly before he can notice I really bloody needed it.

"Well congrats, you surprised the hell out of me! I was scared something awful had happened. You got to tell me these things brother! We are in this together, and I'm a big boy I can take care of myself. If anything, its not that you need to worry about the team getting along with me but the team getting along with itself. Someone is always crazy angry at some one else for something that isn't anyone's fault. It's madness Gareth, I don't know what to do. Ressiant wasn't exactly helpful when I asked her advice, and your wonderful Ophelia made things a thousand times worse!" I slam my metallic arm against the desk in my room, leaving an indent in the surface...

"And now I'm getting angry for no good reason." I sigh heavily, looking disgusted at the tubes and wires hanging out of my green flesh.
"I....I did something awful back there, in that room Gareth. I hurt someone, someone I really cared about. I hurt Fei and I can't forgive myself. I don't know what came over me. I lose my temper sometimes, but...I guess before I never had a weapon flowing through my veins. And...not that I want to scare you or anything." I lean in close to Gareth, just in case someone is listening in, "I feel like the metal, the vitreloy, I think it was excited by the idea of doing some real damage, the thing it was created to do, I mean I don't know, I don't even know if it can have feelings, but I felt this weird sensation that wasn't my own...I don't know, I just thought I should tell you." I whisper. If there's anyone I could talk to its my brother and if there's anyone I should confide in, it's the supervisor of my team. I lean back in my chair, trying to think things through.

"I need to make it up to Fei somehow. And Barbara too. I feel like I screwed up there, she was trying to apologize but, I don't know, I feel like I came across as false. Too busy caring about myself."

Suddenly my phone buzzes, and I see a message from Ghost, asking me to join her in the training room.

"Sorry Gareth I got to go, team stuff."

I wriggle in my seat, wanting to get up, but I stop like there's something we still need to discuss.

"I need to make it up to Fei i know that, and chat with Ghost, we need to get down to the problem. I need to start understanding my team, not just apologies followed but arguments followed by more apologies, but real communication! That's what I have been doing wrong. I've been too busy trying to fix things but it's more that I need to listen and learn about these people. Man, Gareth, I knew you were smart but, wow, I should have spoke with you earlier."

I get up with a smile, who knew a good chat with Gareth would have helped me see clearly, remember that for the next time I screw up! I race to the door and as I turn the corner I grab the edge of the doorway and swing back to catch Gareth's eye.

"Oh, and by the way, I'd like to think I've known you long enough to know you're hiding something from me. I don't care what it is, some awful news from the council, some terrible press coverage, a secret crush!" I say, widening my eyes, "You can keep your secrets from me, but I'm here for you and you should talk with me about your problems. I'm not the only one who has a brother in the base who wants to help." I wink and run off down the corridor.
"Text me later, or I'm hacking your phone again!" I shout back down to Gareth, a smile beaming off my face.

----

I arrive at the training room to find things already underway. I stand at the doorway, unnoticed. When you look the way I do, you learn quickly how to have light feet, and stay silent.
Fei is trying hard to express herself and she mentions me. It like a stab in the heart to hear her say i'm the only one that she can relate. I feel like I broke her trust. But its good, I should feel this pain, reminds me I'm still human, that I still care about her, and I'd tell her that too. God, how I'd tell her how much I cared, but I'm not the one she wants and I know that. Who could with the way I look?
Stop pitying yourself Will and get a grip. Your friends need you.
Out of nowhere, Miss Wraith kills the mood and Fei and Ghost leave.
I step forward into view, trying to catch Miss Wraith's eye.
I remember my words from before. Just try to understand.

"Hi Miss Wraith, you seem a little shook up. I'm here if you want to talk. It's not like you to lose focus like that is all. You seem a little...out of sorts."

I stand there, a little embarrassed. I feel like I'm standing out in a spotlight, hoping Miss Wraith will save me. She wouldn't have made that little show if something wasn't wrong. Maybe I could help....Not that I'd take it personally if she didn't want to talk, but maybe, if she opened up a little, I could figure a way to makes things better. I hope.

Scarlettsmiles fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 8, 2016

• Locked thread