Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You can actually read other people's scripts before executing them right, or is it a blind faith sort of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

You can actually read other people's scripts before executing them right, or is it a blind faith sort of thing

You are not able to read the source, but there is a dev provided script that will return a script's trust level given what function calls it uses inside the script.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

WaterIsPoison posted:

You are not able to read the source, but there is a dev provided script that will return a script's trust level given what function calls it uses inside the script.

Ahh, interesting

Is said security checker recursive or do you have to pray there's not some double blind callback bullshit going on

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ciaphas posted:

Ahh, interesting

Is said security checker recursive or do you have to pray there's not some double blind callback bullshit going on

It's recursive and you can't dynamically call other scripts using input strings (they need to be formally passed as "scriptors" as a parameter by the caller OR hardcoded into the script itself to call them) so you can rely on the result to be accurate.

If you pass a malicious script as a parameter all bets are off, obviously. Also, the dev script returns the state at the time you call it, so there's always the chance that the owner will throw some malicious code in between when you check its safety and when you execute it.

Ciaphas posted:

So a) How avoidable is PvP, or is it entirely the basis of the game; b) how long does it take to get back on your feet if you get deaded; c) when y'all talk about alts on the first page does that mean registering for the game with multiple email addresses or something because that kind of chicanery drives me loving irrationally nuts

PvP is pretty avoidable? Idk, but I haven't engaged in it or been engage yet the entire time I've played so far (a week or so pretty heavily). The only way people can get at you now is if they have your loc, which is a randomly generated alphanumeric value of 8 chars in length or something. The only way they get that is by brute forcing it (haven't heard of this happening yet) or by you revealing it. You can reveal your loc by running a malicious script (perhaps accidentally, by misspelling a script you'd like to run) or by cracking other players (it leaves your loc in their access log).

The game allows you to have two character slots, and switch between them with a single command. That's what people mean by alts - their alternate account. For instance, I use my alt to hold money so that I'm not really at risk of losing much if I were to get raided. If you or your alt get their loc exposed, you can retire your user account and create another, although you lose whatever sys.init level you're at (1MGC for L1, 10MGC for L2, 1BGC for L3, etc). That's usually pretty easy to get back. The game lets you retire up to 10 user accounts per month (you have 10 slots for retired accounts, and they perma delete after 30 days or something).

If you like coding or whatever and find puzzle solving fun, you'll enjoy the game. It doesn't force you to interact with people and when you get griefed it's due to your own misplaced trust or mistakes you made.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ciaphas posted:

Ahh, interesting

You can be assured there's no double blind callback poo poo going on, since all security checks are recursive.

EXCEPT.

If a function takes a "scriptor" argument, of the form #s.user.script, it will be able to make you execute that script without inheriting its security levels.

Some of the tutorial scams I see in public chat trick you into scriptoring yourself into the open. Use get_level on anything you're about to pass as a scriptor.

Also, I mashed together something to simplify the NPC grind process:

code:
function(context, args)
{
	// 1) Call as: user.scriptname{ dir:#s.npc.dir }
	// 2) Copy and paste the output to crack an NPC
	// 3) If you get another output, go to 2
	// 4) If it times out, go to 1

// You can get npc directories from ada.fullsec.
	// This relies heavily on dbrickshaw.free_t1_cracker and ada.scrape_t1.
	// If either of those become unsuitable, replace them with correct calls below.

if ("tgt" in args)
	{
		// Replace as needed
		#s.dbrickshaw.free_t1_cracker({t:args.tgt});
	}

do
	{
		// Replace as needed
		var scraped = #s.ada.scrape_t1({s:args.dir});
		var level = #s.scripts.get_level({name:scraped});
	} while (level != 4)

var output = context.this_script + "{ tgt:#s." + scraped + ", dir:#s." + args.dir.name + " }";

return {ok:true, msg:output};
}

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
There's a user called db in 0000 spamming "scrips.fullsec" which is lowsec. I'm getting Jita local flashbacks from EVE here.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You should leave 0000 unless you are using it for something. It's just a jita scam spam.

TheWhizzardsTower is a pretty nice chat for getting actual help beyond the basics of "where am i is this hackmud"

The worst 0000 scam spam is reinit.* at the moment, never use those commands.

Even if you trust someone in 0000 or any chat actually never run some random script they are talking about without using Scripts.Get_Level on it, because there are fullsec scripts that cause anyone to run them to say some scam line in whatever chat channel the creator wants.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 1, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I already can't work out how to proceed on the 'helpdesk password' part of the tutorial :saddowns:

(ed) ha, nevermind, random guessing wins the day eventually!!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I've updated the OP with things I know about the game. If anyone has any more things I should put in there I can do that, but I think I got the basics of "what is dis" covered.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I tried using Lord Saturn's script, and I can't figure out how to make it work.
This game makes me feel humble.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I tried using Lord Saturn's script, and I can't figure out how to make it work.
This game makes me feel humble.

Are you past the firewall?

If so, do #help, and see what that does for you.

EDIT: And once you get installed, do ada.fullsec, and mash any of the results into it as described in the comment. The breaching part only works if you're in hardline mode, which ytou will have done in the tutorial.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Yeah, I'm in the main game. I am doing fine at finding dead accounts manually, but I'm trying to see how to up my game.
I *think* I'm doing it right. I really have no JS background and am just learning what I can as I go. It's returning a.s.call is not a function, if that helps.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

aaaaaaaand my eyes hurt. is there any way to bolster the font size on this fuckin thing

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Ciaphas posted:

aaaaaaaand my eyes hurt. is there any way to bolster the font size on this fuckin thing

No, but the dev said that is a thing that would be in an update, I think.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Doctor_Acula posted:

Yeah, I'm in the main game. I am doing fine at finding dead accounts manually, but I'm trying to see how to up my game.
I *think* I'm doing it right. I really have no JS background and am just learning what I can as I go. It's returning a.s.call is not a function, if that helps.

Do it exactly like this: user.scriptname{ dir:#s.npc.dir }

Replace user with your name, scriptname with whatever you uploaded it as, and npc.dir with the NPC directory you want to scrape from. Leave the #s where it is.

#s isn't a javascript thing, it's a hackmud thing. It lets scripts do things at the command prompt.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
Now it makes sense, I was replacing the whole right side of the colon.
Next step: figuring out the color_utils.

This god drat game is gonna make me learn stuff.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I was in the middle of writing a script that spams transactions for easier t2 hacking and when I got back onto my hacker alt, I had this awaiting me:
Received 408K886GC from unknown_8mo4q2 : bunnybat vaccination
I hadn't hacked in about 20 minutes. Why the heck am I receiving this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got out of the vlan! yay!!

... uh what now (besides leaving 0000 because holy hell)

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
1. Leave 0000
2. Run scripts.fullsec (watch out for typos)
3. Run stuff, try to find NPCs to hack
4. Don't run another script that a fullsec script tells you to run without checking it with scripts.get_level they're usually scams
5. Get the money you need to sys.init and buy some upgrades
6. From here it's all about being creative, I'd tell you how to get to T2 but I haven't gotten there myself

You said you were a programmer so I assume you want to script, learn javascript if you don't know it and learn the game specific stuff. There's resources on the game specific stuff that was posted earlier in the thread. Join the goon discord, you can probably maybe trust us. :confused:

7. Scam everyone

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Someone explain to me how acct_nt locks work before I pull out my hair:

quote:

Get me the amount of a large deposit near 161001.1329

Part of Transaction Log:

code:
time: "161001.1334",
amount: "10MGC",

time: "161001.1329"
amount: "53M420K741GC",

time: "161001.1329",

time: "161001.1328",
amount: "1MGC",

time: "160930.2327",
amount: "64M420K741GC",
In my mind the answer should be 53M420K741GC or 10MGC, but neither was right, nor was anything else anywhere in there.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

I think I read somewhere that acct_nt wants an int and not a string, so try that maybe, not sure. Anyways I thought acct_nt asked for a date range and not a single date or does it ask different things randomly? All the info on acct_nt I can find talks only about a date range

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It asks for random stuff, changing its request every time your transactions change. Sanitize them by sending 1gc to someone 12ish times, then it's easy

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

acct_nt locks are bad, my kingdom for a script that can handle both that and glock at the same time.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
acctnt locks followed by glocks aren't that bad. the other way around is lame, though you can game it a bit. by ping ponging 1 gc between you and a friend/alt, you can make it so the aswer to its question is 0 or 1

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

siggy2021 posted:

Someone explain to me how acct_nt locks work before I pull out my hair:

Part of Transaction Log:

code:

time: "161001.1329"
amount: "53M420K741GC",

time: "161001.1329",

time: "161001.1328",
amount: "1MGC",

time: "160930.2327",
amount: "64M420K741GC",

In my mind the answer should be 53M420K741GC or 10MGC, but neither was right, nor was anything else anywhere in there.

The locks are a little bs but they're not accurate with their time constraints.

Someone earlier posted that the amount needs to be formatted as an int, but that's wrong. From my experience (probably cracked about 25 of em) the string is what works (e.g. "12M340K2GC")

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Can someone enlighten me as to how the scriptor input for CON_SPEC should be formatted?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Ruggan posted:

Someone earlier posted that the amount needs to be formatted as an int, but that's wrong. From my experience (probably cracked about 25 of em) the string is what works (e.g. "12M340K2GC")

My issue is that I tried every number from the first 25 entries of my log, way outside the bounds of the time they were giving me. It's frustrating.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Ruggan posted:

My bad, I read it somewhere but I never actually got to T2 so I didn't know for sure. I stand corrected

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

do NPC locs change between lock rotations?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

NPCs reset at midnight utc, lock rotations are for player locks and breaches iirc

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ew. How's a newbie supposed to get started if all the T1s are harvested immediately? :(

Highblood
May 20, 2012

I never had trouble finding unbreached npc locs even long after the reset, it seems like people miss a lot of them and they don't get breached because the harvesters don't go back to them after they've been displayed once. Also I think a lot of people skip ez_40 because I've been finding a lot of those in a sea of breached NPCs.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ruggan posted:

you can use a string or int, but you have to do acct_nt:int not acct_nt:"int"

ive done it both. but honestly i do the string one now because i got used to it.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

You'd think at some point I'd get tired of making horrible things like this, but now that I'm buying more script space I think it's just going to get worse

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I say we all pitch in to a goon corp.
We need a hella kitchsy 90s cyberpunk name, though.
Or just rip something straight out of Shadowrun/GITS.
Renraku or Section 9.

I've not done any coding since high school. Is there any way to test stuff you think might work? I'd hate to spam up the chat with garbage text.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
im halfway to corp money, its happening soon boys

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lemon posted:

You'd think at some point I'd get tired of making horrible things like this, but now that I'm buying more script space I think it's just going to get worse

Pro-tip for ASCII art: the game terminal displays UTF-8 but not UTF-16.

Source: Me, who spent too much time on an overambitious ASCII art script today before realizing I have no artistic talent.

Doubleumc
Jun 3, 2006
I love how there's six actual chats in that image and four of them are scams.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

This may be a potentially stupid question. Picked this up today, played to just before the firewall part of the tutorial and have already amassed 1.5 Trillion GC. Now I'm watching some youtuber who's complaining about stuff costing 10 million GC. Did the game get refactored or did I stumble upon a retarded amount of cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

redhalo posted:

This may be a potentially stupid question. Picked this up today, played to just before the firewall part of the tutorial and have already amassed 1.5 Trillion GC. Now I'm watching some youtuber who's complaining about stuff costing 10 million GC. Did the game get refactored or did I stumble upon a retarded amount of cash?

Keep playing, you're still in the tutorial.

• Locked thread