Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Several years ago myself and another goon rented cars and did some racing on the Nürburgring. Prior to our first lap, one of the instructors drove us around the track to familiarize us with the course. Even though I sat in the front seat, that poo poo had me green. I waited for an hour or so, felt somewhat better, and got back out there. After 2 laps, got super nauseous, and promptly puked all over myself, and the interior of the car, which only had about 900km on the odo. I spent the next two hours cleaning out the car with a bucket of hot soapy water and a sponge, dizzy as gently caress from motion sickness.

I always assumed that the lap with the instructor had initially sickened me, but if left to my own driving, it wouldn't be so bad. Fast forward to two days ago, when I went to an electric kart track. Awesome time, but after the third race, I start sweating nickle-sized drops, and getting nauseous as gently caress. Tried to chill, but was puking an hour later.

I have confidence that non-drowsy Dramamine would probably prevent this, but it sucks I have to resort to that. I guess I will have to stick to straight line poo poo like the quarter mile. Anyone else have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do you get motion sickness "normally"?

I'm thinking it's not motion sickness per se, but maybe it's psychosomatic, the stress of being on what is a relatively dangerous track, being driven fast by someone you don't know. Not sure on the karting though.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

InitialDave posted:

Do you get motion sickness "normally"?

Yeah I should have mentioned this. I'm cool on a boat that is moving, but if that sumbitch is just sitting in the open ocean, rocking back and forth, I will vomit continuously until I get back to shore. One roller coaster ride is cool usually, but if I get back in line right away, chances are when I get off the coaster I will be puking like a demon in front of the 500 people waiting to get on the ride. I can never return to Kings Dominion after doing the Rebel Yell backwards. Projectile vomited for a day.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I also get car sick on the track. Never puked from it, but I basically stopped my involvement in track days because of that. Only ever went as a flag gimp, but planned on actually participating a little down the line.

Karting also gets me a little, but it's infinitely better if I'm the one at the wheel. I've found that outdoor karting with some fresh air is better than indoor karting. Haven't tried electric karts.

For the record I get seasick easily too. But again, fresh air and no exhaust fumes help immensely.

If I gently caress around in my own car on a deserted parking lot it's also entirely possible for me to brake myself into nausea.

I have no cure, if you find one, I'd love to know.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I used to get motion sickness when flying and on rough water. I used bonine? for a year and flew every other week or so, and it went away. So it does eventually cure itself but takes a lot of exposure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Last time I was on a track at high speed was sitting shotgun in a Challenger SRT for a couple of hot laps around a track normally used for shifter karts. Even though they told us not to, the first lap I made the mistake of not looking far enough ahead. That first lap made me pretty woozy but remembering to look further down track cleared it up before the end of the second lap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got really sick once at the Gap riding in a pickup truck of all things, started puking towards the end of the ride. I would also feel sick as a passenger riding in any car there, but driving I was fine. I also get sick on boats sometimes depending on how rough the seas are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015

grellgraxer posted:

I can never return to Kings Dominion after doing the Rebel Yell backwards. Projectile vomited for a day.

Have you ever been on a gravitron type spinning ride? Specific roller coasters can sometimes mess with me, but one 3 minute spin will guarantee that I vomit and stumble around in a dizzy haze. I have had issues with motion sickness and can relate to your experiences.

• Locked thread