Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think to start with you have to consider that European countries are significantly smaller than the US in terms of both population and land mass. Couple that with the fact that there isn't really any unified league structure across Europe and the simple fact is that there's simply nowhere for teams to relocate too. It simply isn't possible for FC Dusseldorf to pick up shop and relocate to sunny Aberdeen. Couple that with major cities already have a pretty high density of teams, I think there is something like 19 pro soccer teams in London alone, so the local city councils aren't particularly likely to play favorites for one city over the other.

That said, I don't know that your thesis is entirely accurate either. Financing for stadiums in both Europe is pretty complex and it isn't necessarily a strictly public or private thing on either side of the Atlantic. There is normally a ton of infrastructure costs associated with building a stadium that is footed by somebody. Some countries have national stadiums for different sports which are publicly financed, and may or may not be used for other events than national team games. For instance in England you have Wembley Stadium, which hosts England soccer games, the NFL, concerts, Twickenham which hosts England Rugby, the NFL, and various other stuff, and then the Olympic Stadium, which is now home to West Ham United. Basically all of the stadiums built in Germany for the 2006 World Cup got taken over by local club teams. It really is just not a cut and dried thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ChinaBob posted:

Does "taken over" mean leased out to or bought? My gut says leased because as an American it's hard to imagine a sports team assuming debt-- but I have no idea.

City builds a stadium -> club leases it from the city is pretty much how it works in the US as well. Most publicly financed stadiums are paid for by municipal bonds. The actual cost to the city is because those bonds are tax exempt, not any actual direct payment by the city or taxpayers.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Uh

European soccer teams usually have one town where they are popular. Sometimes even less, like there's one traditional city district where all their real fans live. Moving the team would be in effect the same as dissolving it and starting a completely different team somewhere else.

In comparison this is what the distribution of football fans looks like in the us

A bit more leeway, isn't there

Why would the Rams move to Los Angeles? Nobody even likes them there

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think people are maybe missing the forest for the tress here a little bit. For one, no one really gives a poo poo about lower division soccer, much like nobody really gives a poo poo about minor league baseball. Yeah, they have fan support and blah, blah, blah the revenue differences are orders of magnitude apart. To put it in perspective, if the Premier League consisted of just 5 teams, you would have a team in London, a team in Manchester, and a team in Birmingham and the teams could move about pretty freely ransoming one city or another. Conversely if you had 120 NFL teams every city of any consequence in the US would have one or more NFL teams, and there would be nowhere for any team to move to. Los Angeles isn't going to build a stadium to help the Toledo Mud Hens relocate, because they already have 6 teams.

e: To the OP here's something else you might also want to consider. I know that the Broncos pay a percentage of parking revenue to the city as part of their lease agreement. I'm fairly certain that's a pretty common agreement in the US. The problem with that in Europe is that many stadiums don't have parking. For some teams as much as 95% of their fans take public transit or walk to the games.

Simplex fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 28, 2016

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I could tear this apart and say how wrong it is, but I'll just point at Jamie Vardy whenever anyone says lower league football is rubbish.

Quick Wikipedia search for 2015 revenue per club by league

Premier League - $227 million
Championship - $29 Million
League One - $7.5 Million
League Two - $5 Million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

dex_sda posted:

The MK Dons story is really all that needs to be said. It was an actual attempt at relocation, with an attempt at appropriation of the history of Wimbledon FC. Supporters would have none of it and literally formed a new football team instantly. It had to start from the bottom, the 9th tier, without the finances or any players.

Fast forward 13 years, AFC Wimbledon (the supporter's club) climbed up to the third tier, an unprecedented rise. In the same time, MK Dons, due to loss of fans and revenue making them unable to compete, fell to the third tier. Guess which club has a better time filling up a stadium.
People say this a lot, and it's become kind of an urban legend at this point where nobody bothers to check if it's actually true. So I looked at average league attendances of the teams, and here's the results. I included Brentford as a comparison as they are a team of similar stature to MK Dons and is located geographically close to Wimbledon:
code:
Season Ending	Wimbledon FC	MK DONS	AFC Wimbledon	Brentford
1997		14416					5832
1998		16156					5029
1999		18207					5445
2000		17156					5742
2001		7901			
2002		6958					6713
2003		2697				3003	5759
2004		4750				2606	5541
2005				4667		2858	6081
2006				5446		2706	6774
2007				5876		2512	5599
2008				9176		2603	4469
2009				10121		3219	5707
2010				9323		3535	6017
2011				8112		3486	5172
2012				8846		4295	5643
2013				8837		4060	6460
2014				8474		4135	7715
2015				9460		4073	10822
2016				13112		4138	10310
2017				8520		3799	9862

Marenghi posted:

Money isn't the be all and end all. In fact there's considerable benefits to lower league football speicifically due to it's lower revenue.
I know plenty of people who follow local teams in lower league which are actually affordable to buy a season ticket and go to all their games. Good luck doing that as a working class supporter of premier league teams.
I'm sure there are a lot of benefits to going to a lower league game. I imagine the lower level clubs offer a lot more fan access to the team for one.

That said Premier League attendance is much higher than lower league attendance, not just in raw numbers, but in percent of stadium capacity as well. I can't find numbers, but I'm guessing if you included things like cup matches and European games, attendance for Premier League teams might be higher than all other professional leagues combined.

• Locked thread