Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I'm saying that what we think of when we discuss "Southern Cuisine" usually means dishes that originated as white planter comfort foods (biscuits, gravy, fried chicken, pork and related meats, BBQ, cane sugar, high-fat dairy products, etc) but which became far more available and widespread with the advent of industrialized farming. A more-comprehensive definition would include greens, beans, rice, corn, catfish and crawfish, fruits and nuts, and so forth.

This is true though. To be clear, I wasn't blaming modern American obesity on "Southern Cuisine," merely explaining where the association with being fat and sedentary comes from (pre-war plantation owners, who were often fat and sedentary, but for different socioeconomic reasons than modern-day people who are fat and sedentary, and also largely poor).

I'm reasonably sure fried chicken was a food for poor blacks who didn't exactly get the best chickens, usually being scrawny and gamey. That's why there's the stereotype of black people loving watermelon and friend chicken, it was the food of the poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PT6A posted:

Wangs are a part of the human body, as are boobs and vaginas. If you can't see them without being disgusted or sexualizing them, the problem is yours and yours alone.

Whatever you say, Olmec.

• Locked thread