Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

PT6A posted:

What's inherently wrong with southern cuisine? It's delicious and, just like plenty of other great cuisines, is fine when you balance portion size and activity levels. The real issue is that, like Mexican cuisine, it originated for people who do a fuckload of physical work during the day, and as that doesn't happen as much any more, obesity rates increase.

It's also irrelevant to the nudity issue. Plenty of fat/obese people go nude in Europe and elsewhere without a huge feeling of shame. Also: they're more of an outlier than a fat person would be in the US!

I think "Southern" here mostly means "White Planter", ie massive quantities of flour, sugar, and animal fats with every meal. Vegetables are fodder for poors, negroes, and other beasts of burden, and for a landed white to eat one is surely a sign of poor racial hygiene, or perhaps even *gasp* Yankee sympathies.

(No really, planter-aristocracy diets were unbalanced as gently caress; coupled with a stalwart belief that manual labor was beneath their dignity, obesity and related conditions were rampant.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

spacetoaster posted:

Are you saying you think southern whites were/are not poor?

I'm saying that what we think of when we discuss "Southern Cuisine" usually means dishes that originated as white planter comfort foods (biscuits, gravy, fried chicken, pork and related meats, BBQ, cane sugar, high-fat dairy products, etc) but which became far more available and widespread with the advent of industrialized farming. A more-comprehensive definition would include greens, beans, rice, corn, catfish and crawfish, fruits and nuts, and so forth.

PT6A posted:

Fat on its own is not the problem, it's portion size and activity levels.

Edit: which is, again, wholly irrelevant to the issue of why North America is uptight about nudity. If you're in a society where obesity is normalized, you'd theoretically be less ashamed by it.

This is true though. To be clear, I wasn't blaming modern American obesity on Southern cuisine, merely explaining where "Southern Cuisine's" association with being fat and sedentary comes from (pre-war plantation owners, who were often fat and sedentary, but for different socioeconomic reasons than modern-day people who are fat and sedentary, and also largely poor).

Thesaurasaurus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 25, 2016

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

spacetoaster posted:

I'm pretty sure white farmers were very poor.

And I know that my great grandmother (who died at 104 and grew up with people who had fought in the civil war) ate biscuits, gravy, and fried chicken.

Hell, those things are super cheap to make.

Do you have any evidence that those food items were only for rich people until recently?

Hmm, I did some more searching, and apparently I had it backwards. Planter cuisine was basically determined by slave cuisine, since slaves did virtually all the cooking, but cooking for the plantation owners meant access to fancier ingredients and in huge quantities. Also the planters could cherry-pick their preferred dishes to get made over and over, but apparently PT6A had the right of it, obesity came down to huge portions and sedentary lifestyles. Then factory farming and fast food came along and made the cheapest, calorie-densest of these foods ubiquitous and synonymous with "Southern Cuisine" in the public eye, and here we are, so hey, I learned something today.

On the actual topic of the thread, no idea.

• Locked thread