Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Same thing in middle and high school here in Canada, but I haven't seen anyone being particularly "shy" in change rooms at pools or gyms. Steam rooms/saunas generally require a towel, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

spacetoaster posted:

There were no Jesus freaks before 1980?

Also, what's your definition for Jesus freaks? Is it just Christians or is it some special group that came into existence in the 80's?

Well, that was before godless liberals made it legal to tell kids what "gay" is and illegal to beat it out of them, but now we have to worry about people catching a glimpse of a naked person of their own gender and doing a sex with them.

[/sarcasm]

I think it's probably related to ill-considered anti-bullying efforts. There was presumably a lot of dick-size-related bullying going on, and instead of teaching kids about their bodies and to not be assholes, clearly the right solution is to forbid proper hygiene and eliminate the source of the problem is the first place!

I'm pretty sure we didn't even have functional showers in junior high or high school, and certainly we wouldn't have had time to use them and get to the next class on time. It seems really, really loving disgusting now that I think about it, but at the time it was just normal.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

tsa posted:

America having a (slightly) higher obesity than other western countries is basically entirely due to poverty.

e: and southern "cuisine"

What's inherently wrong with southern cuisine? It's delicious and, just like plenty of other great cuisines, is fine when you balance portion size and activity levels. The real issue is that, like Mexican cuisine, it originated for people who do a fuckload of physical work during the day, and as that doesn't happen as much any more, obesity rates increase.

It's also irrelevant to the nudity issue. Plenty of fat/obese people go nude in Europe and elsewhere without a huge feeling of shame. Also: they're more of an outlier than a fat person would be in the US!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Look at Spain or France: they use tons of butter, animal fat, as well as other fats, as staples. One traditional Andalusian breakfast is seasoned pork fat on toast. Or fried dough dipped in chocolate. Even proper traditional gazpacho is full of fat in the form of olive oil. French cuisine uses lots of butter and cream too.

Fat on its own is not the problem, it's portion size and activity levels.

Edit: which is, again, wholly irrelevant to the issue of why North America is uptight about nudity. If you're in a society where obesity is normalized, you'd theoretically be less ashamed by it.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 25, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Admiral Bosch posted:

what's more curious is that this is completely untrue in the american military, at least in the (generally really homoerotic) marine corps

since group showers are a thing in boot camp, you stop giving a gently caress pretty quick, particularly if during some exercise later on you end up staying in a squad bay environment. it's just not that big a deal

It would be the same if people were told they have to shower after gym class, though. I was uptight about it until I was in a situation where it was normal and necessary, and then I didn't give a gently caress after the first time or two. In a locker room or group shower, you're dealing with people who are packing the same equipment you are, so who gives a gently caress? Even in a coed situation, does it really matter? You should be able to see naked people of the gender you're attracted to without sexualizing it. And if someone is being a disgusting creepy gently caress about things, they need to be taught to not be that way, instead of pretending the problem is fixed if we simply remove the opportunity to be creepy.

Edit: on diet: of course black people love fried chicken! It's delicious, who wouldn't love It? If you don't love fried chicken, you're objectively incorrect, regardless of skin colour.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 25, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Honestly, if you need a look at how hosed up North Americans can be regarding nudity, just look at urinal behaviour. I'm okay with the "don't take a urinal next to someone if there's another option," but a lot of guys will lean into the urinal to the point where they must be getting splattered with splashback, all to avoid the possibility that someone, if they were trying to look, would see their penis. It's bizarre; just stand up straight in front of the urinal and take a piss, for gently caress sake, don't lean in to the urinal. No one is that interested in your cock!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you need to lean in to the urinal to the point where you're basically touching the sides of the urinal, to maintain a piss-stream that will reach the urinal, I advise consulting a physician at your earliest convenience.

Urinals stick out at the bottom, in the middle. If your bellend is above porcelain, you don't need to lean in any further.

Also, personally, if I'm worried about hitting the urinal or toilet bowl, I move my dick toward the receptacle, not my entire body. I don't want pissdrops all over me, but I suppose that's a personal choice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wangs are a part of the human body, as are boobs and vaginas. If you can't see them without being disgusted or sexualizing them, the problem is yours and yours alone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also it could be that attractive people (women especially), stay away from nudist hangouts due to fears about sexual assault.

That's a argument I haven't seen brought up in this thread, the fear of nudity brought about by a fear of opening one's self to assault.

I'm not saying "women should cover themselves up as not to tempt men", but the idea that male sexuality is inherently predatory is pervasive in many, many, cultures. Given how 1 in 6 women face sexual assault in their lives, I feel like this thread's narrative of "nudity should not be sexualized", is putting the cart well before the horse.

That doesn't explain why guys exhibit the same apparent fear of nudity in male-only spaces (unless they are afraid gay people will attack them and rape them or something...?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Periodiko posted:

male nipples and balls are fine, and the entire "male bodies are not as aesthetically pleasing as female bodies" thing is pure bullshit. we aestheticize the female form in ways we don't with the male form, or compare an idealized female form to a "normal" male form. if you look at any media that does treat the male form as beautiful, including modern gay art or classic stuff, this is really apparent.

I agree with this, but balls (well, properly, the scrotum) is pretty weird looking if not necessarily gross. Of course, you could argue the same thing about female genitalia as well -- there's a good reason why most depictions of the naked figure of either sex that aren't sexual in nature don't focus on the genitalia.

• Locked thread