Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AARO posted:

At one point it used to be totally normal for people of the same sex to shower together after sporting events or gym class or after going swimming. But by the time I was in high school, this had changed. No one showered after gym at my school and people who even changed completely (changed into new underwear) were called gay by the other kids. This rarely ever happened. Everyone knew the unwritten rule that it was absolutely forbidden to let other people see you naked. My classmates and I just put on our other clothes covered in sweat after gym. Some of the kids just wore shorts and a t-shirt under their normal clothes and then put their other clothes back on on top of them after gym. For reference, I graduated high school in 2001.

In the 1960's and before, not only did people of the same sex shower and change together but they were often forced to swim nude in school. The classes were divided by sex and often the boys, and sometimes the girls, were made to swim nude by their swim teachers. This would obviously be unthinkable today and a teacher who suggested it would probably be arrested. Did no one care back then? How did this take place?

Forcing kids to shower and all that seems like it would put schools at a big risk of being sued when some kid slips and gets hurt in this day and age, unless the schools also went and shelled out a lot for anti slip surfaces all over. And of course you answered why swimming nude isn't done anymore, classes aren't sex-segregated anymore outside of certain very weird schools. But it's also still pretty uncommon for a high school to even have a pool in the first place. They simply cost a lot to keep maintained let alone get built in the first place.

But your schoolmates sound pretty weird? I graduated high school in 2006 and most people changed everything or just about everything. But the only thing that was actually required was to wear a white shirt and black pants or shorts, so lots of people were too lazy to do more than put those on. And the primary reason we didn't shower is because you weren't really going to get super sweaty in gym class if you weren't also going to get sweaty in class (the school didn't have a/c in half the school). And the shower room for each locker room was only built for like 12 people to shower at once even though each gym class would have easily 50 people of each gender, so you simply wouldn't have time for everyone to shower. The result of this is only a few people ever bothered to shower, but it's not like anybody cared about it. Mostly they got used by the after school sports team.

There's also a pretty big difference between "the 1960s and before" and now as far as high schools go: It was still very common to not go to high school at all up to the 50s and 60s, or to go but only for a year or two before dropping out. Thus high school populations were even less than you'd expect just for the population at large being smaller, and it's a lot more comfortable to shower in public if it's not also going to be super crowded.

In 1960, 27.2% of people who entered high school dropped out before graduation for the nation at large, and it could exceed 50% in some states and areas. In comparison, only 7.4% dropped out in 2010! And consider this: in 1960 43% of rural people of high school age were not in school and 37% of urban people of the same age weren't in school. In comparison, it's about 6.5% of high school age people not in school in both rural and urban areas as of 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

504 posted:

Except your country collectively UTTERLY lost its poo poo when Janet Jackson revealed less boob that a woman on the beach on TV.

Its such a huge/obvious thing that even Southpark mocked it in an episode.

Most people in this country actually had no problem with it, or just plain thought it was funny if they even saw it.

litany of gulps posted:

This is a wild statistic to see. I honestly don't doubt it, given the percentages of people that have a HS diploma and so on, but I've spent a few years working in schools with 50%+ dropout rates from freshman-senior year. Dropout rates have concentrated to certain populations and locations.

Yeah it remains a major problem in many places.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

AARO posted:

You're definitely right, it's 100% regional, but I think this thread has established that being afraid of changing in front of each other is a widespread phenomenon in modern America. This fear doesn't seem to have existed a few decades ago. So we are still trying to figure out what caused the cultural shift that left many or most of us afraid of nudity while we were not previously afraid of this.

Have we actually established that? I mean I believe a lot of the people 50 years ago were also afraid of changing in front of each other, but the rules at the time were simply a lot more rigid about doing it anyway. And as I pointed out, there were a lot more people who simply never went to high school or middle school at all, or if they did they dropped out quite early. So even if they were afraid of doing changing in front of other people, it wouldn't come up.

Plus society used to be way more rigid about what you had to actually wear in public. One can hardly say people were "less afraid of nudity" in times where it was expected that men would be wearing long sleeved shirts and pants all the time with a hat, or where women were expected to wear super long dresses and barely show their arms or chests in comparison to modern acceptable clothing for school/work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Wasn't that the exact original point? That in media girls are the girl's men want to gently caress and men are the men men want to be.

If a movie wants a cool male badass they get a cool badass looking dude but if they want a badass women they hire a supermodel.

But the "badass looking dude" usually isn't some musclebound Arnold in his prime, but something more like:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

vintagepurple posted:

Men who star in modern action and drama films that are not "tall and lean but fit" and would not be generally considered fuckable by anyone into loving men:

Most people don't want to gently caress this weird looking dude but drat if he isn't constantly in dramas anyway.

• Locked thread