Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
multigl
Nov 22, 2005

"Who's cool and has two thumbs? This guy!"

Tres Burritos posted:

As a Minnesotan who's been disappointed by the vikings my entire life and hasn't really started watching football (regularly) until the past 3 seasons I have a question:

How good of a head coach is Zimmer?

The commentators seem to enjoy drooling about him but I can't tell if they're idiots or not.

edit: Also Xavier Rhodes is my favorite player I don't care about the penalties.

really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darth Brooks posted:

Look at this

Now think about the video of all of the dropped passes in Philly last year.

https://fat.gfycat.com/ShortVastHawaiianmonkseal.webm

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm still curious what the Vikings are going to do long term once Bridgewater is healthy. It seems like Bradford is the obvious answer, but I wonder how much loyalty is in play here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Aniki posted:

Jake Long

All they need now is Fred Jackson and Ochocinco! :woop:

Kirios posted:

I'm still curious what the Vikings are going to do long term once Bridgewater is healthy. It seems like Bradford is the obvious answer, but I wonder how much loyalty is in play here.

Honestly? They need to pick Romo up. Three glass hammers might be enough to get you through a whole season.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 10, 2016

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Kirios posted:

It's hard to say. Bradford has played very well, but he's only started 4 games so far. The good thing is that his contract runs through next season ($17 million option), so they will have two seasons to evaluate him. With Teddy, he's recovering from a major injury. There is a good chance that he won't be ready to play at the start of next season and it is difficult to say if he will be the same once he has recovered. He played well for two seasons behind a bad offensive line in a Peterson-centric offense and leading up to the season it looked like he was ready to jump to the next level. The factors in the decision will be whether Bridgewater can make a full-recovery, how well Bradford is playing, how good the coaches think Bridgewater is, age, health, potential contracts, and possibly tradability if they try to recoup the picks they moved. If those factors are close, then you go with Teddy, but if Bradford is clearly better or Teddy cannot make a full recovery, then you go with Bradford. The good thing is that Vikings have most of two seasons left to evaluate their options and make an informed decision.

As for loyalty with Teddy, the coaches, front-office, and his teammates all seem to think very highly of him. By all accounts he's an exceptional person, works extremely hard, and does everything asked of him. He's not the type of person that you worry about getting in trouble off the field and he's the type of person you want being the face of your franchise. If things are close, they would stay with Teddy, but the impression I get is that Bradford has some similar qualities to Teddy, but I'm not too familiar with him as a person at this stage.

Also, another interesting point is that the Vikings aren't running the same offense with Bradford as they were with Bridgewater and Peterson. Here's a good article breaking down some of the changes the Vikings made to accommodate Bradford and because they were no longer bound to a run heavy Peterson-centric offense. It's a topic I can go into deeper at some point, but when you compare Bridgewater and Bradford, just realize that they are running a much more QB friendly scheme for Bradford.

http://presnapreads.com/2016/10/07/sam-bradford-norv-turner-and-embracing-diversity/

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tres Burritos posted:

As a Minnesotan who's been disappointed by the vikings my entire life and hasn't really started watching football (regularly) until the past 3 seasons I have a question:

The commentators seem to enjoy drooling about him but I can't tell if they're idiots or not.

edit: Also Xavier Rhodes is my favorite player I don't care about the penalties.

Going into the season a lot of people in the media were talking about him as a top 5 coach in the league and given what he's done so far, he's moved up that list. He easily their best coach since Denny Green. He's completely changed the culture of the team, they have done a great job developing players under him, and he routinely out-coaches opposing teams. The Vikings had some good defenses under Leslie Frazier, but those were mainly based off of having a good pass rush, the defense that Zimmer has built is strong on all three levels and schematically he's the best in the game at confusing QBs at the line of scrimmage and playing their strengths against them. If you look at the QBs they've played this year, they've all looked confused and afraid going up against the Vikings defense. One really impressive thing is that they change a lot of their defense from game to game, so against Carolina they were very aggressive and playing man coverage, against the Giants they held back, played more zone, and forced Manning to get rid of the ball quickly and make bad decisions.

Here are two videos that do a decent job of explaining why Zimmer's defenses are so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYj8FKwmSvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdUe-0ZmWv8

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 10, 2016

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

I hate this thread.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
But does Bridgewater look like a little kid playing dress up in his older brothers pads like Bradford though?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

I'm pretty sure you don't trade a first and fourth (that can turn into a second) for a replacement QB if you think Teddy can play next year. There's probably a significant chance that Teddy never plays again, but either way I really doubt that we'll know until 2018 and I bet if Bradford plays well this and next year they re-sign him just in case.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I'm also of the opinion that the Vikes don't expect Bridgewater to be back next season, maybe midseason at best. If that were the case and Bradford was doing at least okay, then I would expect them to stick with Bradford while shaking off Bridgewater's rust in practice for half a season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/1500ESPN/status/785495903423565824

Currently at 42-42-16

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Every poll should have a Brett Favre option

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Is it too late to add one to the election?

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

Tres Burritos posted:

Zimmer is amazing. He's easily a top 5 coach in the league. I mean jesus christ, he turned around one of the worst defenses to one of the best...with six of his starters holdovers from the previous regime.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Zimmer is still the only good Bengal that has walked this earth

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Burt Furve

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Burginator posted:

The Minnesota Vikings Will Win The Super Bowl

I am fine with this series of events.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Aniki posted:

Here are two videos that do a decent job of explaining why Zimmer's defenses are so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYj8FKwmSvw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdUe-0ZmWv8

As someone who doesn't know football good those are super interesting.

Today I learned new sports lingo.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed them. They definitely give you an appreciation for how good Zimmer's defense is and why it works.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Zimmer only didn't a job years ago because he's an intense dude. He's a great get for the Vikings, and might be in the top three best coaches in the league, and only because Belichick exists I guess and there's someone else I'm probably forgetting.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

big juicy nectarine posted:

Zimmer only didn't a job years ago because he's an intense dude. He's a great get for the Vikings, and might be in the top three best coaches in the league, and only because Belichick exists I guess and there's someone else I'm probably forgetting.

Hahahahahahaha...I remember when someone mentioned to him in a press conference that Cordarrelle Patterson was complaining about not getting targets and he said "Well then he should probably work on getting open, then."

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I hope his shtick wears off like Jim Harbaugh's or Bruce Arians's (God willing).

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Pretty sure it was his first season during training camp that Xavier Rhodes made a diving interception. When someone asked for Zimmer's reaction to it during a press conference he basically said that if Rhodes had been in the correct position he wouldn't have been a difficult play to get the pick. That would be the same year that Zimmer got choked up in the end-of-year press conference talking about about how Rhodes came up to him in the locker room and "thanked me for making him good".

Zimmer owns.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Tres Burritos posted:

The guy who made them is a Texans fan, and they invited him to Norse Code podcast to talk both teams before this week's game. It's good stuff.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

pigdog posted:

The guy who made them is a Texans fan, and they invited him to Norse Code podcast to talk both teams before this week's game. It's good stuff.

Man I am super curious how he felt during the game last time, haha

They should do a followup interview.

EDIT: oh what the gently caress, they totally stole my name for their podcast!!

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Meanwhile, status update on Vikings starting offense from August 2016:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Status update on the Chargers offense of August:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Status update on the Chargers offense of August:

bless you

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Eagle RT Lane Johnson's suspension has been upheld.

Vikings/Eagles is going to be a quarterback thunderdome.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm curious how often they'll get to Wentz, given how much of the Eagles offense is using short, quick passes right now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
gently caress

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

WHOOPS posted:

I'm curious how often they'll get to Wentz, given how much of the Eagles offense is using short, quick passes right now.

I would imagine it would be a similar game plan to what they used against Manning. More zone coverage, less aggressive on the pass rush, and just try to make Wentz uncomfortable in the pocket and make mistakes instead of trying to accumulate hits. I would also think that the Vikings will show him a lot of complicated looks to bait him into making poor decisions. My main concern for that game will be the Eagles knowledge of Bradford. Will they be able to use that against him and cause mistakes? I guess that can go both ways too, since Bradford would be very familiar with their defense.

The Vikings signed Jake Long today. Not expecting him to be anywhere near the player he once was, but he's experienced and has played for Sparano before, so I think they can get him up to speed quickly and hopefully he can provide quality depth at OT. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they signed one more OL and moved Beavers back to the practice squad, though the Vikings are very close to the cap and I am not sure how that works with minimum contracts, even prorated ones like Long signed.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Aniki posted:

I would imagine it would be a similar game plan to what they used against Manning. More zone coverage, less aggressive on the pass rush, and just try to make Wentz uncomfortable in the pocket and make mistakes instead of trying to accumulate hits. I would also think that the Vikings will show him a lot of complicated looks to bait him into making poor decisions. My main concern for that game will be the Eagles knowledge of Bradford. Will they be able to use that against him and cause mistakes? I guess that can go both ways too, since Bradford would be very familiar with their defense.

That sounds like the better plan. Wentz's numbers seem to go up to almost perfect when he is blitzed.

I don't think familiarity will go very far either way. The Eagles know Bradford mostly from Chip Kelly's moronic offense. If the Vikings decide to run the read option then I don't think Bradford will be successful in freezing the backside defender, but I doubt that will come into play. Likewise, Bradford mostly knows the Eagles defense from when Kelly was playing almost everyone out of position in a 3-4.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aniki posted:

I'm glad you enjoyed them. They definitely give you an appreciation for how good Zimmer's defense is and why it works.

I mean his analysis is cool and all but this is a guy who made a video about how Ryan Mallett was going to be a monster for the Texans, and then made a video about how Brock Osweiler was going to be a monster for the Texans

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

Aniki posted:

The Vikings signed Jake Long today. Not expecting him to be anywhere near the player he once was, but he's experienced and has played for Sparano before, so I think they can get him up to speed quickly and hopefully he can provide quality depth at OT. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they signed one more OL and moved Beavers back to the practice squad, though the Vikings are very close to the cap and I am not sure how that works with minimum contracts, even prorated ones like Long signed.

If they need more room, they can always renegotiate a contract and give the cut money back as a bonus with someone, though the Vikings absolutely hate doing that. Plus, Heinicke isn't a lock for the main roster when he comes back so who knows. They have the room for a couple vet minimum contracts, but with all the people dropping like flies it could get a little interesting.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Brockenstein posted:

I mean his analysis is cool and all but this is a guy who made a video about how Ryan Mallett was going to be a monster for the Texans, and then made a video about how Brock Osweiler was going to be a monster for the Texans

He is a Texans homer, but he's also a producer for the NFL Network. He may get carried away at times, but he still does a good job of explaining some concepts that the media usually doesn't cover too well.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Honestly im more curious as to how the Eagles are going to attacl the MN Defense.

The Titans got good production out of using their RBs in the passing game and the Giants also took advantage of that for albeit minimal production. The Texans attempted to so the same but the MN LBs had a phenonimal game in coverage and that derailed the only real avenue of attack for them.

I expect them to try to establish Mathews as much as they can, but I see them eventually turning to Sproles as their main back for the game.

As far as the MN D as stated above, look for them to continue to disguise coverages and to take away Wentz' 1st look on plays to allow the pass rush to make him uncomfortable and maybe make mistakes.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

NotWearingPants posted:

That sounds like the better plan. Wentz's numbers seem to go up to almost perfect when he is blitzed.

I don't think familiarity will go very far either way. The Eagles know Bradford mostly from Chip Kelly's moronic offense. If the Vikings decide to run the read option then I don't think Bradford will be successful in freezing the backside defender, but I doubt that will come into play. Likewise, Bradford mostly knows the Eagles defense from when Kelly was playing almost everyone out of position in a 3-4.

Yeah, that is one of the things I really like about the Vikings defense. They can shut down teams being aggressive, but they've shown they can be just as effective playing zone and disrupting quick passing offenses. I would expect them to disguise coverages (e.g. show a Cover 1 and drop into a Cover 2), have Munnerlyn follow the slot receiver aacross formation even though the D is actually zone, and try to do things where they try to dictate that a read looks open and then take it away. Zimmer is great at using a QBs strengths against them, so it will be interesting to see how Zimmer uses Wentz's quick passing against him.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 11, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jake Long is absolutely awful right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

OxySnake posted:

Honestly im more curious as to how the Eagles are going to attacl the MN Defense.

The Titans got good production out of using their RBs in the passing game and the Giants also took advantage of that for albeit minimal production. The Texans attempted to so the same but the MN LBs had a phenonimal game in coverage and that derailed the only real avenue of attack for them.

I expect them to try to establish Mathews as much as they can, but I see them eventually turning to Sproles as their main back for the game.

As far as the MN D as stated above, look for them to continue to disguise coverages and to take away Wentz' 1st look on plays to allow the pass rush to make him uncomfortable and maybe make mistakes.

Kendricks had an awful game against the Giants, but bounced back with a strong game against the Texans. If he plays well against the Eagles, then it would go a long way in minimizing the effectiveness of their backs in the passing game. Having two extremely athletic linebackers who are good in coverage in Barr and Kendricks is one of the key things that makes Zimmer's scheme work.

• Locked thread