Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Since Blade Runner was mentioned, I don't remember if Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep was done in the original, but it's an amazing book and probably in my all time favourites, and quite a different thing from the film. And it's dystopian rather than post-apoc!

njsykora posted:

I've always taken the stealth focused route through this game (with a brief combat interlude because Malik). I need to find time at some point to do a proper heavy weapons assault run.

That was the only time I broke no-kill stealth (as well as killing ONE other enemy because it was either bugging out or I was missing something major)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

BenRGamer posted:

In regards to the microtransactions of Mankind Divided, if Jim Sterling is to be believed, it was something literally added in in the last two weeks of development--the Devs had to stop polishing the game and add in microtransactions.

The animation budget and/or availability of competent animators really shows in HuRev. It's like they didn't figure on half the game being about the interactions between two people, going back and forth. So it turns into Let's All Meet the Muppets. There's only one character in the game that had keyframed animation throughout his entire interaction with Jensen, which they made to showcase in a demo. He's in fairly early on, but Bobbin hasn't met him yet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

J.theYellow posted:

The animation budget and/or availability of competent animators really shows in HuRev. It's like they didn't figure on half the game being about the interactions between two people, going back and forth. So it turns into Let's All Meet the Muppets. There's only one character in the game that had keyframed animation throughout his entire interaction with Jensen, which they made to showcase in a demo. He's in fairly early on, but Bobbin hasn't met him yet.

The guy you're quoting was talking about Mankind Divided, but yeah, Pritchard is doing.. something.. on the elevator after Megan leaves.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Time of Eve would probably be a good one. I suppose Tron could also be a candidate, for the technology and the dystopia in the computer world.
Sadly, Primordia is a game, so it's a no go, but if people are interested in a robot dystopian society in a post apocalypse world, it's worth checking out. 2012 point and click adventure game with a mix of pixely characters and a sort of Giger art style. There's also an illustrated short story, Fallen, in the same universe, but with different characters and themes.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kurieg posted:

The guy you're quoting was talking about Mankind Divided, but yeah, Pritchard is doing.. something.. on the elevator after Megan leaves.

For those who don't get the joke (Or since Bobbin's camera was focused on Megan as she leaves), Pritchard is none-too-subtly taking a look at Megan's rear as she leaves. In front of her ex. The commentary specifically points this out if you have it on as one of the moments to help make the player subtly realise that Frank is kind of a dick.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
For dystopian sci-fi films, the first thing that comes to my mind is Brazil.

I was also thinking Dark City but have no idea where you'd place that, I guess dystopian maybe? It's a weird film.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

monster on a stick posted:

For dystopian sci-fi films, the first thing that comes to my mind is Brazil.

I was also thinking Dark City but have no idea where you'd place that, I guess dystopian maybe? It's a weird film.

second Brazil as a recommendation that movie is dope.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

JT Jag posted:

None of the LPs of this game on the forums thus far have focused too much on stealth, is that something you might do in this one Bobbin?

guess you didn't watch the Ironman LP that was done last year, that one required QUITE a bit of stealth

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I have never been more excited for a LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This is the first Deus Ex I played for more than an hour. I actually enjoyed it quite a bit aside from the DLC mission, and I actually think the sequel is a better game, microtransaction DLC aside.

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011
Oh man I'm excited for this. I'm actually replaying this right now, just got to Tai Yong Medical. I'm focusing all my praxis points in hacking and the cloaking system.
I call it a Cloak-and-Decker run.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Obligatory safety dance.

I've played HR at least a couple of times - including the Director's Cut for the first time just earlier this year - and I actually had no idea you could snoop around so much in Megan's office right at the start, so I'm already learning new things. I think I read basically everyone else's e-mail in the game... just not Megan's.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
A lot of the cyberpunk mainstays have already been mentioned here and for a while it seemed to have fallen out of fashion after The Matrix took center stage early in the new millennium, leaving a bit of a dearth of new mainstream movies after the mid/late 90's so I don't have much more to add to the list. But, depending on how far off the usual definition of cyberpunk you want to go, you could say movies like Judge Dredd (any of them) share some of the cyberpunk themes as Neuromancer, particular around Mega City One with it's teeming mass of humanity and corruption but the stories themselves rarely deal with post-human themes. You also have RoboCop as it touches on just about every theme HR does but without all the augmentations and cyberspace goings on so most people usually associate it as an action move more than anything else. Then of course our you have ridiculous poo poo like Johnny Mnemonic, who I don't think anyone can take seriously.

I enjoyed Human Revolution and I liked the story they came up with - it's a prequel to what is probably one of my favourite games of all time but its faithful to story and I like that they took the trouble to try and tie things together and tossed in a few references for those who were familiar with the original. One thing I wish they did do was stick to more of the Renaissance-meets-Cyberpunk art direction we saw in the concept art (such as this). It was really over the top and there's no logical reason why people would dress like that but I love highly stylized art direction like that; helps build character. Unfortunately in the end it seems that only the main characters dress with any flair and most other people in the world stick to more generic business casual attire.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 27, 2016

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

This is excellent, really looking forward to the lectures on this one, Bobbin.

I've never finished this game, I think I fatigued out somewhere after Hengsha, but I could have stayed in that place for hours just poking around and exploring the layers of the city.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Warren Waters posted:

Oh man I'm excited for this. I'm actually replaying this right now, just got to Tai Yong Medical. I'm focusing all my praxis points in hacking and the cloaking system.
I call it a Cloak-and-Decker run.

This was generally how I went through this game and Mankind Divided. Cloak across entire rooms, chow down on a chocolate bar or three when my energy gets low, hack everything. For me, sentries (and later, drones) aren't obstacles, they're opportunities.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B
I suggest Scanners, maybe The Invisibles if you're looking to play up the world-shaping conspiracies, or maybe Transmetropolitan if you want to do more sprawl-related discussions.

Also good call on saying "no videogames or RPGs" along with your ShadowRun/The Matrix mentions in your video- they were the first things to come to mind.

And will you be pointing out all the foreshadowing to DX that goes on in HR, or would that just be overkill?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I didn't ask for this ( but I won't say no ).

I've actually started playing this again today in anticipation for the LP. I'll hopefully be staying slightly ahead of the LP so I can watch what I've missed. First time going through Director's Cut as well; my only full playthrough was around the game's release.

I don't remember Hard being this hard though. Interestingly enough, Jensen seems to have more health in the prologue. You can tank a burst or two of assault rifle bullets there, but the pistol-packing punks in the first missions can drop you in two hits if you get unlucky. Makes sense for a tutorial segment I guess.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Wait. New Bobbin LP, DXHR, stuff about cyberpunk/dystopia? Ground zero on this poo poo. Will be watching if not always posting.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Alright, Bobbin, you have my attention.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Unfortunately your conditions are a bit too specific to suggest things like Eclipse Phase and its Takeshi Kovacs predecessors, but I would like to mention Rainbows End by Verner Vinge.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Magnetic North posted:

I just wanted to get on the ground floor to say: There is only one Deus Ex game.

You have fun on the ground floor, while I continue to enjoy playing fun games as a robotman.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Looking forward to hear your opinions on this one. I hated basically every single page of it.

That book was a trip and a half. Not only did I hate everything about the characters and setting, I couldn't put the loving book down.

With regards to Neuromancer, it was one of the first books I had on my Kindle. Nothing like reading a book about Artificial Intelligences, the Internet, and handheld Electronic Data Displays, written when my dad was a teenager, on a hand-held e-ink display wirelessly connected to a world-spanning internet.

I tried to explain the plot of this book to a co-worker a month ago. Would you believe me if I told you that "Space Rastafarians" is the point where said co-worker informed me that I absolutely had to be making the whole thing up?

More media needs Space Rastafarians.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Negative_Earth posted:

I suggest Scanners, maybe The Invisibles if you're looking to play up the world-shaping conspiracies, or maybe Transmetropolitan if you want to do more sprawl-related discussions.

Also good call on saying "no videogames or RPGs" along with your ShadowRun/The Matrix mentions in your video- they were the first things to come to mind.

And will you be pointing out all the foreshadowing to DX that goes on in HR, or would that just be overkill?

I'll second the recommendation for Scanners.
And since I'm a huge Cronenburg fan, I think either eXistenZ or Videodrome could work really well as well.
Both have interesting "transhumanism" takes on "emerging" technologies. Videodrome even has crazy conspiracies.
Although, Existenz might be a little too on the nose, considering the context.

Also non-serious suggestion of Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days. Which is kinda a cyberpunk neo-noir. Involving mostly a voyeurism industry being created due to the invention of "SQUID" devices which can record all of ones sensations on disc that can then be experienced by other people.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 27, 2016

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Perfect timing. I'm on a big AI/machine learning/oh god my toaster is self aware kick and I recently finished the sequel to this.

This one's kind of a weird suggestion but High Rise by J.G. Ballard is a story of the regression of civilization taking place in a mostly self-contained high-rise apartment building. Kind of an interesting look at the psychology of Arcology culture, and one that has reflections in the absurdly interconnected technofuture so beloved by cyberpunk.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TwoDayLife posted:

I'll second the recommendation for Scanners.
And since I'm a huge Croneburg fan, I think either eXistenZ or Videodrome could work really well as well.
Both have interesting "transhumanism" takes on "emerging" technologies. Videodrome even has crazy conspiracies.
Although, Existenz might be a little too on the nose, considering the context.

Also non-serious suggestion of Kathryn Bigelow's Strange Days. Which is kinda a cyberpunk neo-noir. Involving mostly a voyeurism industry being created due to the invention of "SQUID" devices which can record all of ones sensations on disc that can then be experienced by other people.

I think my Cronenberg film is going to be Videodrome, since I'm trying not to reuse authors what with the wide range of options I have available. I haven't really watched any of his works outside of Naked Lunch, though, so I'm open to persuasion. And you may consider Strange Days to be a non-serious suggestion, but it is on my list already.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think my Cronenberg film is going to be Videodrome, since I'm trying not to reuse authors what with the wide range of options I have available. I haven't really watched any of his works outside of Naked Lunch, though, so I'm open to persuasion. And you may consider Strange Days to be a non-serious suggestion, but it is on my list already.

Hmmm, this is a TV show but how about (spoiling because it's not immediately obvious that it has cyberpunk themes) Person of Interest?

VVVV - the MST3K edition :)

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 27, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Extra comedy option: Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I know that the corners are always a balancing act between ranting at length and summarizing too much, but I genuinely feel that if someone is not confused by some of the concepts you've basically skipped over - the matrix, jacking in, etc - then they're more than familiar with Neuromancer / the cyberpunk genre in general.

The way you do the opening in a no-kill run is you stay crouched at all times, you duck behind different tables as the goons mill around, and you run for it as soon as you're close enough to the exit door. Same as any other stealth run, really.

Show it off, along with the obvious misc stuff like failing the time limit and going into the women's bathroom in a separate video?

TwoDayLife posted:

Seconding this one and adding my own suggestion: The Final Circle of Paradise. It's a fairly unique USSR sci-fi take on the dangers of technology (something communist sci-fi generally did not focus upon). The translation is kinda... not good (the Strugatsky brothers had a gift rare among sci-fi writers - they could both craft striking worldbuilding images, and write good dialog, both as banter and as dramatic confrontations, which mostly gets lost in translation), but I think the gist of it should be clear.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 21, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Show it off, along with the obvious misc stuff like failing the time limit and going into the women's bathroom in a separate video?

Seconding this one and adding my own suggestion: The Final Circle of Paradise. It's a fairly unique USSR sci-fi take on the dangers of technology (something communist sci-fi generally did not focus upon). The translation is kinda... not good (the Strugatsky brothers had a gift rare among sci-fi writers - they could both craft striking worldbuilding images, and write good dialog, both as banter and as dramatic confrontations), but I think the gist of it should be clear.

I may or may not do the stuff I missed in a bonus video, but I'm not sure if it'll ultimately be worth the effort.

By the by, a Russian guy in the Youtube comments suggested Labyrinth of Reflections as a Russian cyberpunk work. Thoughts?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

By the by, a Russian guy in the Youtube comments suggested Labyrinth of Reflections as a Russian cyberpunk work. Thoughts?
My opinion on post-Soviet Russian sci-fi in general is as follows.

I did not read Lukyanenko, but I condemn him.

Edit - Let me quote something:

Xander77 posted:

Don't know about Russian literature as a whole, but the collapse of the Soviet publishing system / restrictions did lead to a glut of lovely sci-fi and thriller literature. Hang on, let me copy paste:

In the literary world, the floodgates were opened and the market was drown in tons of sewage quality detective stories / pseudo-noir / fantasy and sci-fi. "Codename MAD" (17 sequels) "Codename REALLY FUKKEN ANGRY" (10 sequels) "Codename MAD versus Codename RFA" (two sequels and a videogame) etc. (At least the various Codenames were concerned with exterminating organized crime in the best 80's b-movie fashion, rather than exploiting the glamor of gangster life... too much.)

Akunin etc have shown that you can still write decent detective stories in modern day Russia, and organized crime isn't quite as enticing a theme as it used to be, but the flood of poo poo sci-fi and fantasy continues unabated:

And will carry on for the foreseeable future.

(Accidental time traveler stories form a peculiar sub-genre of Russian sci-fi. For some reason the notion of changing Russian history and averting the terrible disaster that is the collapse of the Russian Empire / USSR / Mongolian Conquest by an ordinary time-traveling martial arts student / special forces agent / Codename WOTYOULOOKINGATMATEILLCUTYOUSWEARONMEMUM seems inexplicably popular).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 27, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

My opinion on post-Soviet Russian sci-fi in general is as follows.

I did not read Lukyanenko, but I condemn him.

Edit - Let me quote something:

Did a little research, and I may be willing to bend the rules a bit for the sake of an unusual (for the English language, at least) perspective. What would you say to me tackling Roadside Picnic?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Roadside Picnic is a gem of a book, and I've used a translation with success in teaching English (at a high-school equivalent level), but how would you tie it into cyberpunk? It's more of a "generic" science fiction novel.

e: Hurr, me reed gud

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 27, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Roadside Picnic is a gem of a book, and I've used a translation with success in teaching English (at a high-school equivalent level), but how would you tie it into cyberpunk? It's more of a "generic" science fiction novel.

e: Hurr, me reed gud

For the record, it's at least about the down-and-outs of society, if not computers, and that's close enough for the occasional exception. I was planning on tackling a Philip K Dick novel, too, even though he didn't write proper cyberpunk works, either.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Did a little research, and I may be willing to bend the rules a bit for the sake of an unusual (for the English language, at least) perspective. What would you say to me tackling Roadside Picnic?
Roadside Picnic is probably (relatively) more familiar to an English-speaking public. I suggested The Final Circle of Paradise mostly out of sheer hipsterim :P

But seriously: Roadside Picnic is focused upon the protagonist's psychology. It's a relatively rare thing to do in a sci-fi story, and I completely understand why every other form of media based on the book rips off only the superficial elements of the setting.

Meanwhile, Final Circle (even though it's ostensibly "too futuristic", far enough in the timeline that there are scientific colonies on the moons of Saturn) presents a resort town that seems awfully familiar, and focuses on a confluence of technological developments and social problems that's more relevant now than ever.

You could do a review of Tarkovsky's Stalker instead of Roadside Picnic. Or compare the two.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Man, I want to watch this LP, but I haven't finished the HR yet. I guess now I have to finish it. I have HR on the Wii U, and it's so painful to going back to dual analog after playing Splatoon.

Rectus posted:

I just can't take Bob Page seriously anymore, it just goes back to electronic old men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

The cardinal has forbidden dueling.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I would have recommended Ergo Proxy but it sort of falls into post-apocalypse real fast near the end.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Ometeotl posted:

You have fun on the ground floor, while I continue to enjoy playing fun games as a robotman.

My fanboyism is augmented. There are soooo many things I want to complain about in this game. This was finally the game that made me swear off buying AAA games at launch. Let someone else find out they missed the point entirely.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Roadside picnic is really good, I'd like to see you do it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Gattaca might be interesting as a dystopian film. Ex Machina isn't strictly cyberpunk but it's centered around the concept of artificial intelligence in a way that's very relevant, I think. (Also it's awesome.)

Bookwise, I think one that often gets overlooked is George Alec Effinger's When Gravity Fails. It's an unusual take on cyberpunk because it's set in a dominant Middle East instead of Japan or an America dominated by Japanese corporations, and it's a hell of a read. (The other two Budayeen books are also excellent. And the Infocom/Westwood game Circuit's Edge penned by Effinger and set in the same setting is interesting if obviously offering less actual story.)

I'm guessing Akira may already be on the list but FWIW, I think the manga is a lot more interesting than the film (which is still good).

And I second the recommendation of Max Headroom, though I think the series is more interesting and holds up surprisingly well today. Still, even the movie is worth taking a look at and would certainly be less work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Otherland by Tad Williams is cyberpunk as hell and also thick as a brick, I highly recommend it.

• Locked thread