Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Pritchard?

4. The lowered score is due to how benign he is, overall, to Jenson. If there was anything Pritchard could do other than throw shade at you, though, he'd be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Kurieg posted:

If you get a headshot with the tranq rifle it's near instant, if you get a body shot they have enough time to notice you and raise an alarm if you're close enough.

is this a thing on Give Me Deus Ex though? On normal and easy I've shot guys in the leg and they've just kept walking until they collapse, it's pretty entertaining to watch actually

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, I tried getting back into human revolution ... I'm not sure I like its stealth system anymore. Especially after Dishonored and weirdly enough the stealth sections of Wolfenstein New Order I find the stick to cover system more frustrating than fun.

I liked this game's stealth first time round :(

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Funny thing about those "non-lethal" takedowns: even though they often involve breaking arms and right hooks with Jensen's enchanced strength, a knocked-out enemy roused by another NPC will suffer no ill effects for it. Even though they should probably be hospitalised at the very least. And they never make a noise that others can detect, even though they probably should.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, lethal takedowns both make more noise and give less xp. The only reason to use them is if you want to see some really gruesome Swiss-army-knife kills

genola
Apr 7, 2011
Yeah, the only time I used the lethal takedowns are when I took out those cell guards in Rifleman Bank Station. 'Cause those guys were pretty bad guys.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kurieg posted:

e: I'm loving your use of NeoTokyo music. It's an amazing soundtrack to a game that I've never played.

The music is better than the rest of the game, from what I hear. I wouldn't know, because I found the soundtrack on YouTube.

Aces High posted:

is this a thing on Give Me Deus Ex though? On normal and easy I've shot guys in the leg and they've just kept walking until they collapse, it's pretty entertaining to watch actually

I think Kurieg is saying that there's enough time for guards to spot and report you if you reveal yourself between the shot and their collapse.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The music is better than the rest of the game, from what I hear. I wouldn't know, because I found the soundtrack on YouTube.
That's the consensus I've heard as well.

quote:

I think Kurieg is saying that there's enough time for guards to spot and report you if you reveal yourself between the shot and their collapse.
Something like this. Mostly if you shoot them from the front and aren't sufficiently obfuscated by height or cover.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Replaying this myself and I think some of the 'no enemy left standing' method from the Thief/Deus Ex LP's has rubbed off on me. Granted I'm playing on a lower difficulty but everyone is getting knocked the hell out (or blown the hell away if I deem them evil enough) which is in stark contrast to the endless stealthy fretting of my first playthrough.

I've also got the commentary on and while interesting it's about 90% "Yeah we had this super cool idea but time/resources/game engine/hardware limitations meant we had to cut it. Sucks you'll never see it I guess". Cheers guys...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how your playthrough differs from mine.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 4, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Kopijeger posted:

Funny thing about those "non-lethal" takedowns: even though they often involve breaking arms and right hooks with Jensen's enchanced strength, a knocked-out enemy roused by another NPC will suffer no ill effects for it. Even though they should probably be hospitalised at the very least. And they never make a noise that others can detect, even though they probably should.

Yeah it's odd how beating the crap out of someone and throwing a 250 pound body around never seems to make a sound... you'd think the yell of pain before you KO'd someone or the sound of you body slamming them into the floor would alert someone. Am I remembering correctly that lethal takedowns also take power where as non-lethal take downs don't? Been a while since I played. It's weird though, I often don't care about shooting most people to death in this game (never bothered with the tranq gun) but when doing some CQC I always knock them out rather than kill them. Don't know why. I often feel compelled to go after everyone in a level as well, even when I can sneak past them I need to find a way to go about eliminating them; can't risk them stumbling on to me or my handiwork later.

I gotta say though the end of this week's Dystopia Corner hit the nail on the head for me though. I remember reading Fahrenheit 451 and the other usual suspects years ago back in middle/highschool and thinking "wow what a wacky future that is" while being reasonably certain that such things would never happen now. Then fast forward to now and the level of similarities has become alarming to say the least.

Never much considered the next franchise to be covered as a part of cyberpunk despite it's main antagonist now being a sci-fi trope. I guess we'll find out next week how it fits in.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah it's odd how beating the crap out of someone and throwing a 250 pound body around never seems to make a sound... you'd think the yell of pain before you KO'd someone or the sound of you body slamming them into the floor would alert someone. Am I remembering correctly that lethal takedowns also take power where as non-lethal take downs don't? Been a while since I played. It's weird though, I often don't care about shooting most people to death in this game (never bothered with the tranq gun) but when doing some CQC I always knock them out rather than kill them. Don't know why. I often feel compelled to go after everyone in a level as well, even when I can sneak past them I need to find a way to go about eliminating them; can't risk them stumbling on to me or my handiwork later.

Lethal and nonlethal takedowns are, to my knowledge, identical in the amount of sound they produce and the amount of energy they use. The difference is that nonlethal takedowns grant +20 XP but also run the risk of having another enemy wake the guy up if he finds him.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Ah, just remembered wrong then.

Wonder why I always preferred non-lethal takedowns then. Maybe shooting someone in the head just seemed more humane than trying to slice them in half?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Both lethal and nonlethal takedowns cost 1 energy. There's no real reason to ever use lethal, unless you're trying to attract attention towards you so you can sneak around and/or flank the enemy as they're coming to investigate.

Edit: afaik, nonlethal takedowns are completely silent while lethal ones are ungodly noisy

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lethal and nonlethal takedowns are, to my knowledge, identical in the amount of sound they produce and the amount of energy they use. The difference is that nonlethal takedowns grant +20 XP but also run the risk of having another enemy wake the guy up if he finds him.

Lethal takedowns are louder in my experience. I've had guys ignore their friend getting punched behind them, but they turn around and start shooting if you go human cuisine-art on the same dude.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Elth posted:

Both lethal and nonlethal takedowns cost 1 energy. There's no real reason to ever use lethal, unless you're trying to attract attention towards you so you can sneak around and/or flank the enemy as they're coming to investigate.

Edit: afaik, nonlethal takedowns are completely silent while lethal ones are ungodly noisy

Alright, I went back and tested this, and the problem with lethal methods in general is the fact that people get a death scream that alerts others nearby. So this applies to lethal takedowns as well as lethal shots made with silenced firearms.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Yeah that was my big bugbear with Human Revolution; it was billed as do things however you want but non-lethal is straight up better both in the practical sense and how it offers more XP, and yet bosses you are forced to do lethally.

I liked Dishonored a lot better because of this.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 4, 2016

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Alright, I went back and tested this, and the problem with lethal methods in general is the fact that people get a death scream that alerts others nearby. So this applies to lethal takedowns as well as lethal shots made with silenced firearms.

Whoa, I had no idea about this. That's really neat; different risks, different rewards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I’m not sure about your decision to make a New Game+ LP. Certainly it allows you to demonstrate a variety of playstyles and whatnot, but it’s not exactly the typical gameplay experience. After your insistence on playing the original mod and patch free, this is somewhat baffling.

GoneRampant posted:

Anyway, a bit of Director's Cut commentary trivia that I can remember:
Oh yeah – are you going to do a Director’s Commentary compilation?
The best thing about Unfair’s LP, and much more handy than trying to listen to the terribly implemented commentary in-game.

Kopijeger posted:

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah, lethal takedowns both make more noise and give less xp. The only reason to use them is if you want to see some really gruesome Swiss-army-knife kills
Having XP rewards for disposing of enemies is fairly terrible. Ok, the game is nowhere near as complex in its level design as Deus Ex, so supplementing mission XP with nothing but “hidden area” discoveries would be kinda difficult. But as implemented, the xp system dictates how you’re going to approach the game for at least the first few levels, during which you desperately need Praxis upgrades. Afterwards, it’s probably going to be a habit. Hell – just like many other players, I’d just knock out then silently execute the people I wanted dead. It’s not like the xp is retroactively deducted.

As to your analysis of Fahrenheit 451… well, if you ever do wind up reading Final Circle, you may want to take note of a certain optimistic character. Not a good role model to emulate.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

tlarn posted:

Yeah that was my big bugbear with Human Revolution; it was billed as do things however you want but non-lethal is straight up better both in the practical sense and how it offers more XP, and yet bosses you are forced to do lethally.

I liked Dishonored a lot better because of this.

A difference of 20 XP means that it would take 250 takedowns for the difference to equal 1 praxis kit.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I like how the firefighters in one of the adaptations Bobbin used for stock footage had little armbands with salamanders on them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The whole experience for small actions like hacking and taking out enemies is nightmare fuel for people like me who wants all the experience points. Youll end up going through levels just looking for every small detail to get that small ammount of experience. I've always preffered experience for doing missions only because of this. It lets you just do the mission and get through how you want instead of going through every possible way because every possible way gives you experience. Some people want to game the system and maybe not letting them game the system is more ideal.
Of course this is why a ng+ run is so much better too, it lets you skip all the constant silent takedowns and find every small hole that gives you exp and focus on just doing the missions.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Iretep posted:

The whole experience for small actions like hacking and taking out enemies is nightmare fuel for people like me who wants all the experience points. Youll end up going through levels just looking for every small detail to get that small ammount of experience. I've always preffered experience for doing missions only because of this. It lets you just do the mission and get through how you want instead of going through every possible way because every possible way gives you experience. Some people want to game the system and maybe not letting them game the system is more ideal.
Of course this is why a ng+ run is so much better too, it lets you skip all the constant silent takedowns and find every small hole that gives you exp and focus on just doing the missions.
Did you also lure enemies together so you can do a double nonlethal takedown? Because those give the most XP.

My DE HR experience drastically improved when I started the game new after burning out a little over 2/3 through, but this time with my girlfriend watching. Her insistence that I should just start shooting guys, all that sneaking and reloading when loving up was getting boring was eye-opening. It is way more fun to just accept the consequences of mistakes. Sometimes, yes, this means that every guy in a level bumrushes you and if you survive that, there will be no more guards and the encounter design has faltered. This irks me a little but you know what? I replayed the game a total of four times to get all achievements, I think I got the full experience after all.

Another huge thing of note: there are quite a few abilities you really want early on, yes, but knocking out everybody and hacking everything isn't really going to help you get them. Maaaybe if you're really diligent you get an extra Praxis, that's a drop in the ocean. And after a certain point, and that usually comes halfway through or even earlier if you're being nonlethal stealthy boy, you completely run out of things to put points in. A playthrough where I decided to NOT hack every door asap and instead look for codes and vents and stuff meant that I had like 15 points less to spend on all the hacking upgrades, so after you tick off the punch through walls, lift heavy poo poo, double takedown, icarus landing, high-jump boxes there's not really much left to do except go "I guess sometimes there are poo gas rooms?" and "I'm too lazy to deactivate EMP grenades, so...".

Most of this is, of course, because you have a baseline of at least a third of the augs being completely useless and another half of the rest being useless for a specific playstyle unless you wildly switch between levels. This is also why the NG+ playthrough shouldn't be a big deal at all - it allows to show off all the possible paths in the first few levels where on a True Experience (TM) you can only take one of the paths instead, and after say one tenth of the game you can do everything anyway. Except for how you specifically decided to handle combat, and here the NG+ thing shines: one level can be a stealth level, one can be a hacking level, and one can be guns blazing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Yeah it's odd how beating the crap out of someone and throwing a 250 pound body around never seems to make a sound... you'd think the yell of pain before you KO'd someone or the sound of you body slamming them into the floor would alert someone.

You need to be in the right spot to see, but takedowns also freeze time! When you perform them, everyone around you freezes in place while Jensen beats the crap out of the dude. This lets you knock out someone as his buddy is around the corner and still be ready to catch him as he comes into view instead of having him show up in the middle of the animation and flip out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

My DE HR experience drastically improved when I started the game new after burning out a little over 2/3 through, but this time with my girlfriend watching. Her insistence that I should just start shooting guys, all that sneaking and reloading when loving up was getting boring was eye-opening. It is way more fun to just accept the consequences of mistakes.

I think this is a part of what makes a good stealth/action game. From later titles, HR, Dishonored and MGS5 all become a whole lot of fun when your cover is blown; going for perfect stealth just doesn't let you utilize all the options you have.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

anilEhilated posted:

I think this is a part of what makes a good stealth/action game. From later titles, HR, Dishonored and MGS5 all become a whole lot of fun when your cover is blown; going for perfect stealth just doesn't let you utilize all the options you have.

I dunno, I like the highly restricted gameplay full stealth enforces, but that's just me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like it too, to an extent. I still like the Thief games (all three of them) and I've done perfect stealth no kills runs through Dishonored and HR before - but I feel it's important to have the option and the game letting you utilize it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

chitoryu12 posted:

You need to be in the right spot to see, but takedowns also freeze time! When you perform them, everyone around you freezes in place while Jensen beats the crap out of the dude. This lets you knock out someone as his buddy is around the corner and still be ready to catch him as he comes into view instead of having him show up in the middle of the animation and flip out.

Also some of the corner cover takedowns move enemies absolute position relative to Jensen, which means their trip through the Jensen dimension might leave them embedded in a wall. Notably, this will kill them eventually due to the physics engine trying to eject them.

Also there's a point later on in Detroit where you can kill a guy in an apartment that's leaning against a breakable wall. If you explore that building and break the wall before you turn on the quest that spawns him, he'll just be casually leaning against open air and you can non-lethal takedown him.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Fwoderwick posted:

Replaying this myself and I think some of the 'no enemy left standing' method from the Thief/Deus Ex LP's has rubbed off on me.

This is the easiest way to get Foxiest of Hounds. It also lets you go loot everything and maximizes your XP gain.
It's how I did my final run before playing MD.

1) Knock out and hide everyone on way to exit A from section.
2) Double back and knock out the remainder.
3) Find all other exits, loot everything.
4) Continue to next section, rinse and repeat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm real glad you went through Fahrenheit 451, it's still my all time favorite book. I had avoided it in high school because it was one of the options for required reading and I assumed it was hot garbage, but it's so good. I finally read it on my own when I was in college.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah – are you going to do a Director’s Commentary compilation?
The best thing about Unfair’s LP, and much more handy than trying to listen to the terribly implemented commentary in-game.

I guess I can try to do a little post after each update that has some of the commentary stuff. I just know the tracks from the prologue and Junction Plant well because I've played them an ungodly amount of times. But sure, if people don't mind, I'll go through the commentary and find a few pieces of interesting trivia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

psivamp posted:

This is the easiest way to get Foxiest of Hounds. It also lets you go loot everything and maximizes your XP gain.
It's how I did my final run before playing MD.

1) Knock out and hide everyone on way to exit A from section.
2) Double back and knock out the remainder.
3) Find all other exits, loot everything.
4) Continue to next section, rinse and repeat.

During the police station infiltration early on, I kept getting caught by a cop and having to knock him out and hide his body. Of course, the only convenient hiding place to avoid any corpses being found was the nearby air vent. I think I ended up with over a dozen bodies shoved inside the same tiny section of vent.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GoneRampant posted:

I guess I can try to do a little post after each update that has some of the commentary stuff. I just know the tracks from the prologue and Junction Plant well because I've played them an ungodly amount of times. But sure, if people don't mind, I'll go through the commentary and find a few pieces of interesting trivia.
Still referring to Bobbin, actually. Thanks for the offer though.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's important to remember that nonlethal take downs are always the most silent take downs.

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I'm real glad you went through Fahrenheit 451, it's still my all time favorite book. I had avoided it in high school because it was one of the options for required reading and I assumed it was hot garbage, but it's so good. I finally read it on my own when I was in college.

ray bradbury has terrible politics but he's a drat good poet

still one of my favorite authors after reading r is for rocket in elementery school

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
As opposed to prodding with the stick.
I never actually managed to get Foxiest, despite trying for it for multiple runs. I think it's the waiting for the elevator bit that breaks it for me.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Still referring to Bobbin, actually. Thanks for the offer though.

Not sure if I will or not, but if Gone Rampant wants to step up, I am totally fine with that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SpookyLizard posted:

It's important to remember that nonlethal take downs are always the most silent take downs.

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod.

Don't forget that the GEP Gun takedown is the most silent way to eliminate Manderley.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Mikl posted:

Nirvana by Gabriele Salvatores.

Maaan, came here to post this.

I find it a bit derivative and it copies a number of things from neuromancer, but I LOVE this movie.

Also, it only struck me today after your first corner how the whole Daedalus/Icarus thing AIs fusing was inspired by Neuromancer.

Gibsonchat: One thing that amazes me from Gibson is how he relies less and less on high tech and enormous megacorps overtly running the world and still manages to be cyberpunk as all hell.

As in, during the Sprawl trilogy technology is all super high tech, gleaming and advanced, the Bridge trilogy has creaky, rusted technology and by the time he gets to Pattern Recognition the most advanced thing there is in the entire book is, what? Augmented reality?

Also I am so glad, Bobbin, that you mentioned Gibson's amazing prose. As a translator my dream job would be to translate Gibson. Pity I'm too late and I'll never get that job. *throws a tantrum*

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just assume anytime Jensen KOs a guy they travel into the Fiddy Zone, like Jensen has rented space there or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Kunster posted:

"Safe Space" is still the earlier concept, but now it's a "bigger deal" because places actually now have the power to go tell people who previously had unchecked power to go anywhere without being criticized or even told to gently caress off, and the latter then starts seeing themselves as freedom of speech martyrs.

poo poo, in the last few years folk almost happily sold the idea of nuking North Korea because of a mildly crummy comedy getting mildly delayed and turning a few more countries on the Middle East into rubble because their populaces started protesting outside around the time a youtube video popped up at some point. The idea of "Oh no, we're going to become book burners" because more people can tell former authorities to go gently caress themselves then goes from "mildly annoying" to "almost practical to excuse it to crush countries to nitwits raised on Bill Hicks" (Also, it's rather amusing not seeing the types to go defend racist fools to go on a college without hearing a "gently caress Off", but then keep mild when BDS folk and anti-fracking folk are shunned and arrested)

I think this note really gets to the big flaw in a lot of dystopian fiction. A good distopian work is sorta like a sanity check on some aspect of society. Less a cautionary tale and more, highlighting something that's right there under the surface, however to make its point it needs to push it beyond it's logical extreme. It's checking yourself, questioning yourself, and understanding why society is doing something. This sort of checking only really works when you understand morality has a sliding scale and that things that are good in small doses can be bad in large, and that some things have applications in one area of life that don't apply to others.

Where distopian works (or their readers really) get into trouble is trying to apply a more black and white morality onto that moral deconstructionist attitude.

• Locked thread