Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

God Eater 2: Rage Burst could be described as a Monster Hunter-like anime with something akin to a plot going on besides hunting down dinosaurs and other primal animals for parts to make better stuff. I have never played a MH game outside of a few hours on a PSP in ye olde days, so part of the appeal of this game was satisfying the curiosity of it being a similar game to MH as I, at the time, thought I would enjoy such a genre of game. I did, so here I am. :v:

The version I will be playing is a Console-to-PC port, specifically from the Playstation Vita, and Playstation 4. Astonishingly enough for such a game, it's a good port on the PC. It behaves itself when alt-tabbing, has configurable keymapping, and otherwise doesn't make my PC weep for mercy from horrible CTDs, memory leaks, or other strange issues that usually stem from console ports. Not to say that the game is perfect, however in my experience aside from multiplayer I have had little to no issues with the simple act of loading and playing the game. Although m+kb is an option, I will be playing with a 360 controller.

Speaking of Multiplayer, like Monster Hunter, this game also has small party multiplayer for up to 4 people. Unfortunately there is no hot drop in. Players can only join during the organization of the group. Before the most recent patch, there were some real strange frame rate issues with MP that had something to do with players' monitor's refresh rates or other quasi-mystical voodoo. Post-patch, most of the FPS issues have been resolved. Fellow God Eaters, located in the North America district, are welcome to join in on the non-story, free hunts.

Rules
-No spoilers of events, places, people, creatures, or "Other" terms not covered by the latest update.
-Don't be a creep. Yes, there will be some :catstare: + :japan: situations here. Most of which is in the form of fanservice-y clothing I will be avoiding and one particular NPC, and no, I'm not referring to the scantily clad catgirl analogue. This is a japanese anime game set in the future, you can probably make a bingo sheet out of the tropes that this, and a lot of other similar media share.
-That being said, the ESRB rating is Teen. Blood, Mild Language, Partial Nudity, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol and Tobacco, Violence. If your work would frown upon seeing the previously mentioned catgirl analogue smashing monsters with a giant gently caress off hammer, then you'd probably shouldn't watch these at work!
-Forum thread participation will be low, outside of organizing free missions. I will ultimately be in charge of the character's loadout aside from the initial weapon category choices due to how dramatic a properly set loadout will have an effect on a mission.
-Probably once a day, not including posts about mechanics, or miscellany.

This is the experience of the elite Blood unit, bearers of 3rd Gen God Arcs... more specifically, a God Eater. Code Name Wind Shear

Update list
Update 001
Update 002
Update 003
Update 004
Update 005
Update 006
Update 007
Update 008
Update 009
Update 010
Update 011
Update 012
Update 013
Update 014
Update 015
Update 016
Update 017
Update 018
Update 019
Update 020
Update 021
Update 022
Update 023
Update 024
Update 025
Update 026
Update 027
Update 028
Update 029
Update 030
Update 031
Update 032
Update 033
Update 034
Update 035
Update 036
Update 037
Update 038
Update 039
Update 040
Update 041
Update 042
Update 043
Update 044
Update 045
Update 046
Update 047
Update 048
Update 049
Update 050
Update 051
Update 052
Update 053
Update 054
Update 055
Update 056
Update 057
Update 058
Update 059
Update 060
Update 061
Update 062
Update 063
Update 064
Update 065
Update 066
Update 067
Update 068
Update 069
Update 070
Update 071
Update 072
Update 073
Update 074
Update 075
Update 076
Update 077
Update 078
Update 079
Update 080
Update 081
Update 082
Update 083

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Fenrir Terminal Database: Apocalypse Offset Plan, Apocalypse offset Plan: 2, Apotheosis Reinstatement: 2, Black Plague: 4, Blood: 4, Fenrir Research Institute: 2, Red Nimbus: 3, Spiral Tree, Spiral Tree: 2, The Singularity: 3
Basic Weapon Moveset Showcase
The first installment of game mechanics: Mission organization, rewards, equipment management, crafting and skill management for NPCs.
Bestiary p1: Dreadpike, Night Hollow, Cocoon Maiden, Ogretail, and Ukonvasara.
Bestiary p2: Zygote, Fallen Ogretail, Yaksha, Chi-You, Yan Zhi, Zhou Wang.
Bestiary p3: Fallen Spark Cocoon Maiden, Fallen Freeze Zygote, Gboro-Gboro, Sariel, Vajra, Rufus Caligula, Garm
Bestiary p4: Blaze Cocoon Maiden, Vajratail, Yaksha Raja, Polar Kongou, Quadriga
Bestiary p5: Frost Cocoon Maiden, Spark Zygote, Spark Vajratail, Spark Chi-You, Blaze Gboro-Gboro, Spark Borg Camlann, Toxic Sariel, Marduk
Bestiary p6: Frost Gboro-Gboro, Fierce Kongou, Blade Arc Soldier, Buster Arc Soldier, Hannibal, Demiurge
Second mechanics installment: Missions, Positive and negative skill levels, initial Blood Arts
Third mechanics installment Bullet Editing: Basic editing.
Fourth mechanics installment: Support characters, introduction to 1st Gen God Eaters
Character Episodes: Ciel and Emil.
Link Support Devices: Introduction to, and list of initial devices.
Skill Rebuilding: An introduction to.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 9, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

poo poo I loving hate sending these application I need to goddamn get every field and pick a goddamn 8 char password with a letter and a symbol what a goddamn pain

Name: Kimberly
Codename: Wind Shear

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 27, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Name: Alton
Codename: God Eats

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Name: Kivala
Codename: Chaos Eater

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Name: Snake
Code Name: Snake Eater

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Lotish posted:

this guy has the right idea

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Name:Steven

Codename:Senator

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Name: Fieri
Codename: Food Eater

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lotish posted:

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Name: Derogate

Code Name: Trade Ego

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Click to watch

It was quite a shock seeing the Fenrir application, then yet another shock when it was accepted. Finally, a solid, steady source of Fenrir Credits, and best of all, guaranteed safety from Aragami. All of that, mind, pales in comparison to what happened afterwards...

Click to watch

Before we get too far underway... you may wish to browse the known database for more information* on terms, and one more thing. Wind Shear primarily used a pair of close-range parts for her God Arc. What were they? You can use the following video link to refresh your memory of the six weapons available to a 3rd Generation God Eater. Short Blade, Long Blade, Buster Blade, Boost Hammer, Charge Spear, and Variant Scythe. One of the pair was either a Buster sword or Boost hammer, however I know for sure she did not use both of them.

* - Database information is a privilege being a employee of Fenrir. All information is based on a need-to-know basis for your safety.

(U: Choose a pair of close-range weapons, one must be either a buster blade, or a boost hammer.)

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 27, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Gunlance and Charge blade.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Buster Blade and Variant Scythe

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never played this game, but if it's anything like Monster Hunter, let's go Buster Blade and Variant Scythe because we are never gonna get that charged combo off.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

(Sorry this took a while, had to resolve a audio sync issue that kept cropping up and that took forever to find the root cause. Future updates will be having the various blurbs by standing npcs be put into the update post itself. There will be one more video similar to this at a later date, until then, videos will be cutscenes and/or fight segments.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5egW_120

(Two particular issues arise here. First, the camera is locked firmly in place during a station visit so it's a bit jarring when first playing. The other issue is the choice of music they picked. It's not particularly easy listening after a while.)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:japan:"Like those Aragami are soooooooooo dead haha"

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

:japan:"Like those Aragami are soooooooooo dead haha"

What you see is the truth, I have not lied about this game. :v:

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Click here to watch

: You have unread mail.

-----------------------------------------------------

>Sender: Leoni_Ro@NornOS.net
>Subject: Welcome to Blood!
>Body:
I'm glad we got to talk about all that stuff! If you
ever have more questions, just ask me!
Let's have some fun out there!
See ya!

>Sender: Kozuki_Na@NornOS.net
>Subject: Thanks for earlier!
>Body:
I was relieved that someone else joined at the
same time as me. Let's do our best, 'kay?
I'm ready to share if you ever want an
oden sandwich!

>Sender: Visconti_Ju@NornOS.net
>Subject: This is Julius Viconti
>Body:
I'm not used to writing these, so I'll make it short.
Let's do our best.

>Sender: Claudius_Ra@Friar.gov
>Subject: I need to speak with you
>Body:
My sweet Kimberley, I must speak with you about
the future and purpose of the Blood unit. I will be
at my laboratory on the upper level.

:No unread mail.

"Hey, Kimberly!"

Romeo waves you over.

: "Hey, got any burning questions for me? You must really take this seriously, I love it! Shoot."

>Tell me about Blood Power.

: "Whoa, that's a tough one. Well, um... It's a special ability unique to members of Blood. It, uh... has something to do with the Bias Factor used by Blood or something. Ah, go ask Dr. Rachel!"

>What's Dr. Rachel like?

: "She developed a way to produce a new type of God Eater. She's the one who founded the Blood Unit. She also runs this huge orphanage called Magnolia Compass.

That's where Julius and I grew up. Well, I didn't meet him until we came here, though. What? Does that seem weird to you? Well, I mean Julius was one of the elite, in the top class. But don't go telling him I said that."

>Thank you.

: "Sure! If you ever have any questions just come and ask me, all right?"

On the way to the elevator, Nana is loitering around the balcony and notices you.

: "Hey, listen to this! Romeo told me something cool.

Both Romeo and Captain Julius came from the same orphanage as me! Isn't that crazy? Captain Julius... I haven't met him, but I've heard things about him.

He stood out even among the elite cadets. And now i get to work with such gifted people... Sometimes I think I must be dreaming."

A Friar attendant guarding the elevator acknowledges you.

: "You and Nana have brought new life to Blood. If you happen to need Dr. Rachel for anything, you can take the elevator to the upper level."

Julius meets you at the upper level.

: "So you're here to meet Dr. Rachel. I have something to discuss with you too. Come see me when you're finished with the doctor."

Click here to watch

: "My dear, you've only just recieved your God Arc. In time, it will awaken, bringing your inner power to form. I will be looking forward to that day."

Leaving the laboratory, Julius addresses you and Nana.

: "You two finished your training. Nice work. I've been impressed by this second wave of Blood recruits.

I think it's time for the next step. We call it field training, but in a way, it's another test. Think of it as a gauge of your abilities - a way to see how you'll measure up as a God Eater. It's time for you to participate in a live-fire training exercise, and I know just the right place.

This is your first field exercise, so be ready."

Click here to watch

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
That sandwich is my favorite character

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Julius-senpai ur so fuken cool

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I feel that it's about time I started going over more of the mechanics of the game. We'll start first by going over the mission briefing and rewards.

You can see the list of missions you have access to, and whether or not you've completed them. it is possible to rerun missions for more rewards, AP, or in case Fraps started slam dunking the framerate for no apparent reason forcing you to rerecord. Generally, the game is good about giving you an idea of what you'll be facing, in what environment, and suggests weapons to counter the Aragami present. The upper right shows you exactly what you'll be facing, but not necessarily the numbers of unless specifically mentioned in the description.

Also in the upper left is the Spacebar key (Pressing any KB button automatically switches all pertinent UI parts to KB+M, and vice versa for controllers.) showing the rewards screen.

This is rather short, however later missions will greatly extend this list. Rewards are credits, crafting materials and consumables. In addition to automatic, there will be a variety of other conditions that must be met in order to have a chance at getting the rewards they block. Weapon skills, and teammate support cards can help meet the condition requirements.

This screen shows the party roster for the given mission. Assuming the person isn't "FIX" you can swap people in and out, or go with less people in the party. The dotted rectangles will eventually be able to house additional people. You can also set radio options (determines how much information is verbally, or visually given to you.), the BGM and the Operator voice pack for the mission. The latter two are locked for now. In Multiplayer, all human PCs are "FIX" and cannot be removed. Now let's add teammates to go with us on the mission.

There's two types of characters you can add to a mission from this screen, however for now we've only access to the regular crew. You can sort the list, however for now, it's small enough to not matter. You can see the AP stored, his equipped skills, clothing, God Arc's weapon parts, something mysterious, and his Blood Art.

Now, about the rewards screen. Here randomly chosen teammates will have cards you can choose in order to provide bonuses for you, or in the case of Julius here, to everyone else on the team. Cards picked will provide additional AP for the chosen NPC. The three pips in the upper right of the card tell you how much of the quality of bonus choosing the card will give you. 1>2>3>Star in order of worst to best quality.

The blue bars next to the teammate names represents your endurance; you lose endurance when you become incapacitated, and you lose more if you're not given a link aid before you automatically stand back up. At this low difficulty, it's rather difficult to even hurt enough to warrant using a healing item. I will go over GAP later in this post, and Link Burst at another time.

Scrolling down the list, you can see the exact items you've been awarded for beating the mission, and the amount of AP your NPCs gained. Not all missions provide the same amount of AP, so you're not stuck grinding forever, unless you're being a turbonerd completionist.

Speaking of turbonerd, let's look at the inventory and stats for Wind Shear. The upper right corner shows you how many FC you've got, and the basic stats for the PC. Normally a character, PC or NPC, only has 100 HP, OP and Stamina. Let's see what is affecting our stats.

Pressing the skill list button brings up this window. It tells you exactly what skills are installed on your equipment that affect your performance in battle.

Selecting the Kurogane Carbine brings us to the weapon's stat sheet. It tells you what, and how much damage it does, any elemental modifiers, and the skills, if any, it has installed.

Tabbing over to the left shows us our equipped melee weapon, the Kurogane Scythe. All close range weapons have a specific category of damage they do, and sometimes two. Short Blades are slash/pierce, Long Blades are slash, Buster Blades are either slashing, crushing or more commonly a combination of the two, Boost Hammers are crushing, and Charging Spears are piercing.

All weapon types are viable, however certain classes will be better, or worse, against the various Aragami you must face. I'll go into more detail with weapons at a later date.

Two tabs to the right is the shield window. Like the others, it shows you the defence it provides, and any elemental modifiers. Bucklers like the Kurogane Targe, are quick to block, but protect you the least. Shields are the average of the two, and Tower Shields are the slowest to block, but protect you the most.

During the last mission, we acquired a few abandoned God Arcs. Due to not being genetically compatible with the Arcs, we cannot equip them. However, we can salvage the parts to install skills on our own God Arc. In the Crafting > Install Skill menu, we can do just that.

There are no generic God Arc parts, each one you find will only be applicable to a specific melee, gun, or shield part. Here selecting the highlighted skill then prompts you to install it on a gun that you own, in this case, the assault gun.

You will then be prompted to install the new skill in a slot on the part. You can freely replace skills by overwriting them. Stacking of skills is possible by putting them in a separate slot. For example, if I had a level 2 Oracle skill, I could install it in a empty slot for a net total of 4 levels of Oracle. You cannot upgrade skills installed. If I tried installing a level 2 Oracle onto the existing skill, it will just prompt you to confirm replacement.

I didn't show it however our control unit for the God Arc, the Prototype, literally does nothing and acts as a placeholder. Lets do something about that. Vending machine prices are out of our price range and I don't want to grind credits, so to the crafting menu! This screen, like the other equipment screens, shows you what items are new to you, having discovered the majority of the parts needed to make them. It shows the credits required to craft, whether or not you've got the materials to make the item, weapon and elemental stats, and what skills are in the item, if any. All control units provide skills that only activated while you are in burst mode and do nothing else. You can switch the details around here to see which materials you are missing. I've went ahead and made the Soldier Control Unit, which boosts my damage done by 12% in burst mode ( level 4 Melee ).

Once more here, the HP total reflecting the additional skill I have installed. The two empty slows under Control Unit are for upgrade parts that give you additional skills. I have neither the money, nor the materials required to buy the one type available at the moment, so those will remain empty for the time being. We'll find out what the two ? slots are for at a later date. Bullets brings you to your bullet inventory, and allows access to bullet customization. I will cover that at a later date because :can:

Alright, the final lap on our mechanics journey. Let's take a quick look at our NPCs, more specifically Romeo. Like the mission character selection screen, we can see what skills, and equipment Romeo is currently using. In the upper right, to the left of our money is GAP, and under our money is Romeo's AP stockpile.

We can have a more detailed look at the various skills Romeo comes with out of the box ...:stare:... Oh hey look, he's got some AP to spend and a couple of empty slots in the previous window, let's go there.

Leak Resistance helps protect against effects that sap away Oracle. Anyways, let's scroll all the way to the bottom, and leave this for perhaps another day. :can:

I'm going to be purchasing this skill, and Bomb S, to give his gun more firepower. I'll go into bullets at a later date, I swear.

Choosing a skill springs this confirmation window showing you how much GAP and AP will remain. I'm buying cheap skills for him currently as I want to install GAP costing skills on Nana first. A second prompt for immediate equipping pops up after a purchase, and in this case I give it the go-ahead.

Every NPC will state some sort of short audio clip upon receiving a new skill, as Romeo mutely demonstrates.

Oracle Absorption increases the amount of Oracle Romeo recovers while meleeing, and Item Effect increases the potency of items he brought to the mission. And there you have it, Romeo's got new bullets and he's good to go. I take the time to kit out Nana with Venom on hit 1 and Hold on hit 1. Debuffs, as far as I can tell, act similarly to Dark Souls' debuffs. You reach a threshold, and the debuff is applied to the target. Venom applies a slow poison effect for a time, and Hold paralyzes for a few seconds. Nana, incidentally, is highly aggressive in melee.

All of the teammates shine in their own right somehow, even the cringe inducing Romeo, and none are particularly outright "Literally never bring." They act fairly competently in combat, and prioritize helping you out first with buffs, healing, or providing link aid.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How do they do against the tougher Aragami? As much as I liked the cats in Monster Hunter, they weren't great in battle, especially against the later foes.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

How do they do against the tougher Aragami? As much as I liked the cats in Monster Hunter, they weren't great in battle, especially against the later foes.

In my experience on my main file, I find that the NPC companions do a serviceable enough job of tackling Aragami. They aren't great at blocking, and as you saw with Romeo's skill list, they come with a lot of buffs pre-installed to try and make up for the fact that they will simply not be as effective as a real person. I have had very few instances in the story missions that resulted in multiple incapacitations. That being said, they will use various items in battle more or less intelligently, use their own healing consumables, and, within their character-specific programming, use appropriate movesets or weapons against the larger Aragami. Nana for example is set to be all out melee, and, barring one gameplay exception i haven't covered yet, she will rarely switch to her shotgun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The key thing they have over cats is that they're very player-like. Their equipment and movesets are very similar to a player of roughly the same progression so they're actually productive. You can even use copies of people you've done multiplayer with (assuming they didn't drop that feature between games, I haven't played GE2 yet).

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

You can even use copies of people you've done multiplayer with (assuming they didn't drop that feature between games, I haven't played GE2 yet).

This is still the case. I haven't shown it off because I both can't access the avatar card menu, and I don't have any avatar cards to show off aside from Wind Shear's.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Upon reaching the lobby floor, Julius pulls you aside, while Nana makes a beeline to the vending machine.

: "Congratulations on your first battle. You did well. Now then, you need to keep developing yourself on the battlefield until your Blood Power awakens.

Do you have any questions about how to go forward especially when it comes to battlefield tactics?"

>Is this a tutorial I can skip?

: Yes.

>Nope, I've got it.

: "Hah. I know I can count on you. As a rule, God Eaters are only offered missions within their capabilities. Anything too foolhardy won't be available to you, so improve yourself by taking on what's available."

Making your way over to the elevator to speak with Dr. Rachel after the sortie, Nana is resting on the end of the benches in the lobby.

: "Whew, field training sure was tough. Captain Julius was incredible!

But there was this moment when I thought I was a goner... I'm glad you were there for me, Kimberly."

After the combat performance exam, Dr. Rachel addresses you.

: "You've already completed you're first mission, you've done very well. I see great potential in you. I'm sure you will soon gain your Blood Power and Blood Arts. Once your Blood Power unchains your inner spirit, it will unlock powerful techniques - Blood Arts."

>What are Blood Arts?

: "Blood Arts heighten a soldier's combat capabilities or individual traits to their upmost limit. They might give you unimaginable power or release Oracle Cells and augment your God Arc attack."

>Is Blood Power the same?

: "Blood Art techniques are tied to a God Arc. Blood Powers are inborn, unique to each person. Julius's Blood Power takes control of and buoys his allies' God Arcs, granting them Burst Mode. You may not acquire the same power as Julius. Different people gain different abilities."

>What are resonances?

: "Resonances are amplified manifestations of emotion and will, known to occur between some God Eaters. I applied my research of these resonances into the development of the new P66 Bias Factor.

The P66 Bias Factor allows an awakened user to express their individual resonance at will. This manifestation of resonance is called a Blood Power. Julius has shown you just what it can do."

>I'll give it my best

: "Hah, I'm sure you will. I look forward to the day that your Blood Power awakens. A Blood Power lies within all members of Blood. I wonder what ability will blossom within you...

There's a deep joy to sowing a field and awaiting its bounty... You and your squad have given me that. I am truly blessed to be able to watch over Blood's progress. Please, do your best."

: "Oh, did you just go see Dr. Rachel? Hmm... I wonder if I'll ever be able to use Blood Arts too. I figure the first steps is to start eating more. If I don't eat enough, I'll never get strong!"

Click here to view.

>Subject: (URGENT) Regarding Yuno
>Body:
You clearly weren't impressed enough when you met
Yuno, so as your superior, I feel compelled to fill
you in.

-Yuno Ashihara, performs as same
-Born November 20th, 17 years old
-Singer from the Nemus Diana satellite base who
catapulted to fame with the song "Aria of Light."

Read more in Database > People.
I might give you a pop quiz!

:No unread mail.

"I can't believe that Yuno came all the way here. Director Grem must have quite the connections."

A clunk of a toolbox announces the arrival of a Friar staff assistant taking up the terminal next to yours, and you two begin making small talk.

>Is this Yuno that famous?

: "Don't you know? She's a world-famous singer from the Far East. I bet she's got tons of fans in Fenrir."

>Grem creeps me out...

: "Shush! What if he hears you saying that? Not that I don't understand how you feel...

But from another perspective, there are certain matters only a person like him can carry out. Without Director Grem, there'd be no Friar, and no Blood. The world needs people like him too."

>Who's that redhead?

: "Oh, that's Dr. Leah, Dr. Rachel's sister. She leads development of the piloted God Arc Soldiers. She also serves as Friar's acting commander when Director Grem is absent."

>I need to head out now.

: "Sure, see you later!"

Romeo moseys on up, somewhat nervously.

: "S-So... I've been thinking...

We should go and meet Yuno after all! She should be in Director Grem's office right now."

>Well... I guess we could?

: "Okay! This is a team building exercise: burst into his office and get permission for us to be there. Once you have the okay, I'll come rushing in! ...I'll be on the lookout outside. Go teamwork!"

Nana flags you down on the way to the Director's office

: "What was that I overheard? You're going to the Director's Office to see Yuno? Betcha she'll be long gone!"

Click here to view.

: "drat it, what the hell was that? We didn't go in there to meet Director Grem. ...Well, anyway, I see you in a new light now. You barged right into his office!"

: "You two weren't able to meet Yuno, huh? I called it. I knew you'd be disappointed! By the way, We've been assigned a new misson, hope you're ready for it!"

Click here to view.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I almost didn't recognize artanis without his filter

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's nice to see that in the grimdarkness of the future where magic particle beasts roam the land, there is still the anime idol industry.

Guys...maybe things will be okay after all :unsmith:

...also shouldn't Grem know exactly what we do? He runs this drat place doesn't he?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

With a sigh, Julius turns to you.

: "Whenever a new kid came ot the orphanage, there'd always be at least one scuffle with the old guard. But us... Our lives are in each other's hands now. We all need to reach an understanding, or else..."

>I'll do what I can.

: "Yeah? All right. I'll let you handle this one. Thanks. Last I saw him, he was headed towards the garden."

>Sender: Claudius_Ra@Friar.gov
>Subject: Sweet Kimberly
>Body:
In bad times and good, in days of joy and days of
anger, we're all in this together, always.

Blood is a family.
Never forget that.

>Sender: Claudius_Le@Friar.gov
>Subject: (Cc: All) To All Members of Blood
>Body:
For those of you new to Blood, it is a pleasure to
meet you. I am Leah Claudius, Head of Friar's R&D
Department. I hope you will thrive under Dr. Rachel's
guidance and play an active role in the glorious
organization we call Friar. I hope you can eat once
you're settled. Best of luck

: No unread mail.

Nursing his bruise, and his pride, Romeo stands overlooking the balcony into the plaza.

: "Listen, I didn't mean to say anything to hurt him. It was just a little joke, an ice breaker..."

>He must've had a reason.

: "I-I know that much! Okay, maybe I could of phrased it in a nicer way... Come on! Why did this have to happen to me?"

"Here."

At her usual perch, Nana shoves a oden sandwich in your hands.

: "Y'know... when I offer my oden sandwiches to different people, I get all kinds of reactions. I think the ones who earnestly accept it are good people, like you. Most laugh and make fun of me.

Sometimes people just refuse it. I tend to get the feeling that they're trying to escape something. I hope Romeo and Gil and get along..."

Click here to view.

: "Don't worry so much. I'll apologize to Romeo later, I promise.

Well... I'll see you around."

Because Ulvirich couldn't think of a way to insert this cleanly into the update's narrative, you feel compelled to enter the Director's Office.

: "Director Grem is resting right now.

...Did you need something?"

>What are you doing here?

: "Didn't Rachel say? In addition to developing piloted God Arc Soldiers, I fill in for Grem when needed."

>About God Arc Soldiers...

: "Coming to scope out your competition, eh? I kid, but the God Arc Soldiers are top secret. At this point, I could only tell you what's already listed in the Database. Sorry."

>Nothing in particular.

: "The director doesn't like visitors coming without any business. You'd do well to remember that.

Thanks for breaking up a little of the tedium... See you later."

Heading back to Fran's desk, she looks up from her terminal.

: "We've spotted a large pack of Aragami ahead. Grem has requested help from the nearest branch. Secure the route for our support's arrival, so that they can get here as safely as possible.

A herd of small Aragami comprised mostly of Ogretails has been detected in the ruins of Academy City. God Eaters have been called upon to quickly purge this infestation. Stay wary of ranged attacks from immobile Aragami, such as Cocoon Maidens. Lure other Aragami outside of their range, and bring them down one by one."

Click here to view.

>Subject: Gil
>Body:
Gil came and apologized for punching me. We talked
about a lot of stuff. I think it's all good now.

Thanks for worrying about me, even though this was
something I had to do myself. I'm going to keep
doing my best. Let's all work together!

>Sender: Strasbourg_Em@NornOS.net
>Subject: Knight! the hour of our victory draws near!
>Body:
I will declare this again. Take it into your soul. I,
Emil von Strasbourg, pledge that our victory is
already assured! However! Our victory here will not
be over an enemy, but over the weakness in our own
hearts. To overcome this foe, the friendship and help
of our fellow knights is essential. Let us inspire,
encourage, and lead each other to victory! Let us
raise our cups together on the dawn of our victory,
brought about by our unity and love!

Julius in a conversation with Gil, and calls you over.

: "This is Blood's first time working with outside units. We're giving this everything we've got.

Is there anything you want cleared up beforehand?"

>What's the mission?

: "Gil and Emil of the Far East Branch are heading this op, but that doesn't change anything for you.

We're putting down the Ukonvasara. Watch out for its massive bite and electric sparks. Bond breaks will severely weaken it. Target the turbine thing on its back and anything else you can break."

: "These Aragami aren't giving me much time to settle in... Well, no matter.

All I have to do is kill whatever gets in my way."

Nana and Romeo are resting near the vending machine.

: "God Eaters from the Far East Branch are coming. There's no better chance to prove our worth! All right, it's high time we show everyone what we Blood are made of."

: "I hear a ton of Aragami are coming. If the Far East Branch is sending support, it must be bad... Now I'm getting nervous. I'd better eat something while I can."

The Friar staff assistant near the elevator begins speaking with you as you two wait for the elevator.

: "So the Far East Branch sent us support? You know, a few years ago, they had this incredible incident. The branch had built this fortress called Aegis, but it was destroyed by a new and strange Aragami."

>What incident?

: "The branch sent their best to handle it. One in particular - Sorry, I just can't remember the name - they were a standout."

>Why no God Arc Soldiers?

: "Two types of God Arc Soldiers are in development: piloted and remote-operated. Both have problems... Personally, I'm rooting for Dr. Leah's piloted models over Dr. Kujo's line. I hope I can pilot one someday."

>Have you seen Emil?

: "Was that the strange Far East Branch God Eater? He was headed up the elevator last I saw."

>I'll see you around

: "Sure. Good luck out there."

On the Garden level, you spot a lone, blonde figure standing near the tree.

: "This garden is a wonder - the calm in the eye of the raging storm. Oh ye of Blood, fret not. We shall win.

But first this knight will take a brief repose."

Heading up the elevator, you decide to check in on Dr. Rachel.

: "The storm draws near... But don't you fret.

God Eaters are mankind's sword, and Blood is it's tip. You have the strength, so don't hold back."

And as well as you're on this level, you tempt fate by entering Director Grem's office, encountering both Grem and Leah.

: "I really wish we could use the God Arc Soldiers, but the current control system is too much for the pilots. Even Dr. Kujo's remote controls aren't an option. I'm afraid you all will have to handle this one."

: "If we show those Far East boys what Blood can do, we could get more backing going forward.

...Hey, you! I'm devising a strategic vision here! Don't bother me! Now get out there and fight!"

Taking the hint from your employer, you make a hasty beeline to Fran.

: "This is a joint mission with the Far East Branch. Exterminate the Dreadpike infestation in the abandoned factory. While Dreadpikes are not very dangerous, their presence can lure larger Aragami hungry for an easy lunch. Prepare for anything. A powerful electrical signal thought to belong to an Aragami has been detected nearby."

Click here to view.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

It's nice to see that in the grimdarkness of the future where magic particle beasts roam the land, there is still the anime idol industry.

In spite of the comedic relief events, and the severe levels of anime, this really is a grimdark world. Especially if you delve into the various database entries. One example with the God Eaters; all God Eaters have their God Arcs permanently attached to them for life, and members of Blood have to inject themselves regularly otherwise their God Arc will literally eat them alive.

Speaking of God Arcs, the game does make a visual distinction between the 1st/2nd gen armlets and the 3rd gen Blood uses.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

I like that in the datalog they actually mention the size and how hard it is for people to dress themselves with that thing on all the time.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Figured we fought enough small fries and able to cap it off with the Ukonvasara, here's he first installment of the Aragami bestiary.

Slow, weak and easily defeated. Capable of only thrusting attacks with their horn before dying almost immediately. The only real threat from them is if one catches you with a blindsided attack and knocks you out of position.

Like all small Aragami, this one only has one weakpoint.
Elemental Weakness: A stern gaze and random swinging of a weapon in their direction.

Weak and stationary, however it's one of the first Aragami that has ranged attacks. It fires it's bullet in an arc, and upon hitting the ground, it slowly builds up into an explosion. Just move from the ground effect, or block it, and you'll be fine.

Elemental Weakness: A scowl and movement in their general direction.

Another stationary Aragami, the Cocoon Maiden is more dangerous than the Night Hollow due to it's variety of attacks. For long range it's got speedy bullets, and for short range, it can extrude spikes in a 360' attack, or focus them in a frontal arc. These spikes are envenomed, so it very likely that an unguarded hit will inflict slow poison on you.

Elemental Weakness: Everything but Divine.

What I would consider Raptors in Monster Hunter, the ogretails are far more agile than Dreadpikes, and have a couple of ranged attacks. Melee attacks include a lunge forward with their mouth, looking to bite, and a roundhouse tailspin. For ranged, they can pounce on unsuspecting God Eaters, and can shoot thorns from their tail.

Elemental Weakness: Everything but Divine.

This crocidilian-like Aragami, like the animal it takes its appearance from, can also swim underwater to escape to feed. Most of its attacks are easy to dodge or block as it gives you plenty of forewarning, unique to each ability. Belying it's size, it is capable of bursts of extreme speed in it's biting lunges. It's circular electrical PBAOE centered on itself only hits once, and upon blocking, you can rush back into the fray for a few hits as it's finishing the animation. It can whip its tail around like a club, and has a ranged AOE lightning blast, similar in functionality to the Night Hollow's sole attack.

The name is a reference to Ukko, the Finnish Thunder God's hammer, Ukonvasara.

This medium Aragami has three weakpoints: The turbine on its back, the head and the tail.
Elemental Weakness: Blaze, Freeze.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

What does feeding even do for Aragami?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

They make a beeline towards a gather point, and start eating from it. Materials are not lost if left uncollected and Aragami are feeding from the point. Supposedly they gain a limited amount of health while doing so, if they do, it's not a whole heck of a lot in my experience. Aragami who break off to feed will also clear the threat list of your team and generally become roaming. If you can stagger, or otherwise force the Aragami to stop, it will interrupt the feeding cycle and you'll reengage with it. Once an Aragami has finished feasting it will begin wandering around and if it can see, or hear the sounds of combat, it will reengage your team.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

>Sender: Bourgogne_Fr@Friar.gov
>Subject: (URGENT) Regarding Future Missions
>Body:
Friar is assigning missions to everyone based on their
abilities and performance. In the same manner,
missions assigned by Friar during the joint
operations will be led by Friar.

Therefore, Blood should assume command on all
missions assigned to it.

We ask for your cooperation in avoiding confusion
regarding the chain of command.

>Sender: FenrirPR@FPBS.net
>Subject: Notification of Product Shipment
>Body:
This is a notice from Fenrir PR:

-Field Ration
-Energy Drink
-Health Drink

The above products are now available in the Vending
Machine. Energy and Health Drinks raise an ability
at the cost of lowering all others, so be sure to
use the drinks only when the situation calls for them.

>Sender: FenrirApparelDept@FPBS.net
>Subject: New Clothing!
>Body:
New clothing can now be ordered from the Terminal.

For men, we have "Tigers", "Vests," sporty tops,
and baggy pants.

For women, "Kitties," "Halters," puffed sleeve tops,
and shorts.

For men and women, we have high school uniforms,
"Kozane," "Line," "Summer," and "Roughs" - all out
now!

You can preview the complete look before ordering.

Have fun coordinating!

(U: Rations fully restore stamina. Energy drinks increases maximum stamina at the cost of HP, and Health Drinks do the opposite. I will very likely not buy any of these particular consumables. Stamina restores quickly normally, and I don't feel a need to juggle around health and stamina buffs in consumable form.

The clothing on the other hand... Roughly after each difficulty tier surpassed, you gain access to crafting new styles of apparel. You start out in a "Blood Black uniform", and have the tops and bottoms to each Blood <weapon> suit. Early on in difficulty 1, the vending machine will sell a red, white and green version of the "Blood Uniform", a "Old Fenrir" top and bottom, and a "Cute Kelolun" costume. You also learn how to craft the red, green and white versions of the "Blood <Weapon>" tops and bottoms before reaching Difficulty 2. When you learn a new style of clothing to craft, they each come in four different color variants, not necessarily black, red, white and green like the Blood Uniform.

While I love playing dressup, I'm not going to be showing off every single top and bottom, and most certainly not what I consider the blatant fanservice ones. Each piece cost materials and credits, and I'm not super keen on grinding in a video game.)

A slightly starstruck Friar staff assistant pardons himself.

: "You got to see Mr. von Strasbourg fighting up close? If he's as good as he says, that must of been a show of true elegance. I wish I could've seen it!"

Down the staircase, in the middle of eating a cookie and offering you one, Nana looks rather content at her snack.

: "Emil is a funny guy, isn't he? I'm not really into tea, but he gave me a bunch of sweets to eat with it, so he must be all right."

Gil pipes in.

: "What was his name...? Emil? He acts silly, but he seems like a good guy."

"That was a tough battle, but mankind lives another day. May this tea refresh us weary warriors."

Emil pushes a mug in your hands begins pouring.

: "You who bear the same noble purpose, share a cup with me. Do you prefer lemon or milk in your tea?"

>Milk, please.

: "Milk suits you well; for even amidst the brutality of battle, you never lose your kind heart.

A fitting choice. Wait right here. I'll have it ready in a moment."

True to his word, Emil offers a carton of milk for your tea. And you begin sipping...

The man knows his tea.

Moseying along as he does, Romeo begins speaking with you as you enjoy your hot beverage.

: "Our next target is the Kongou, yeah? Keep on your toes - they can move fast. They've got good hearing, so if you shoot, or change your God Arc form, they can come swarming. The battle can get messy if other Aragami join in. You could also use noise to lure the Kongou away.

...How was that? I sounded just like Julius, right?

Handing the mug back to Emil and thanking him, you make your way to Fran's desk.

: "This is a joint mission with the Far East Branch. Destroy two Kongou. Kongou are mid-sized, highly-mobile Aragami that possess keen senses. Blaze and spark attacks are effective against them, so prepare accordingly. After destroying your primary targets, split up and search the area for any remaining Aragami stragglers.

Click here to view.

Smiling sweetly after your examination, Dr. Rachel comments...

: "At last, another Blood Power has awakened... After Julius, you're only the second.

Congratulations. Now...was there anything else you wanted to talk about?"

>What was that Aragami?

: "That, my sweet Kimberly, was a Marduk, a psion Aragami variant. They aren't often seen around Friar."

>No, that was all.

: "The Aragami are constantly adapting. I'm sure there are other psions besides the Marduk.

We're one step closer to attaining our ideal world... Heh, I can't wait to see what you do next."

Seemingly laying in ambush, Nana and Romeo practically pounce on you as you're leaving the lab, You also notice Gilbert leaning against the railing, looking at the commotion with a slight look of amusement.

: "Back there, I saw it - your Blood Power! You were AWESOME! What did it feel like?"

> Um... It was like, Whoa!

: "I knew it! Captain Julius was all like, "Whoa!" too!"

: "Let me get a word in, Nana! Kim, you were great out there! I'm talking MVP here! That was really incredible! And now that your Blood Power awakened, you have Blood Arts too.

I've got some catching up to do!"

Seeing that you're walking without crutches, Gil chimes in.

: "I can't argue with the results, but don't push yourself too far, okay? Somehow, we made it out of that mess alive.

...So that was Blood Power, huh?"

Excusing yourself from the group, a calm stay in the garden would do yourself some good and you head to the elevator.

Almost as if he was expecting you, Emil addresses you upon seeing the elevator doors opening.

: "After that mission... I am deeply in your debt. Please permit me to express my gratitude."

>Oh, it was nothing...

: "Such grace! I see that you're more than just a superb fighter, but a person of good manners as well.

And that power... You just might be the sword to cut mankind free of the darkness that envelops us. I may have fallen a step behind you... But this is one rival who will soon catch up."

>You're my rival now?

: "Oh yes, my friend! Regrettably, it appears I must be returning to the Far East... However!

...The next time we meet, we shall see whose training has paid off. Until that day, dear friend!"

Emil bows, and enters the elevator behind you, leaving you alone with a figure you now notice standing by the tree.

: "Congratulations on awakening your Blood Power. No one can call you a newbie anymore. If you need me to go over anything with you, just let me know. The sooner you learn, the better."

>Now I can use Blood Arts!

: "Yes, Blood Arts are how your Blood Power manifests in combat. There are many different Blood Arts... depending on your weapon, and how you fight. There's a lot to them, so be sure to experiment.

Once you're done resting, Blood has another mission lined up. As usual, see Fran for details."

: "Eliminate an Aragami herd comprised mostly of Zygotes. Zygotes are filled with a poisonous gas that allows them to glide through the air. Jumping and gun attacks to their swollen, bag-like bodies are h-

>Is this another small fry only mission, seriously?

: Yes.

Click here to view.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2016

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'm having a hell of a lot more fun with this game than I should, and I'd never even heard of it until it came out for the Ps4 a month ago or so. It's incredibly addictive, and I love the combat and customization of everything, even if the anime aspect is cancerous. (Fortunately, it's not very story-heavy)

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

So, a lot of stuff just went down, and I'm sure I know what everyone is thinking, so we'll get right to it.

There are six categories of missions you can undertake as a God Eater.

Standard: Includes both story and free missions. Story missions move the plot along, while standard free are optional, however have roughly the same difficulty rating as stories.

Hard: As far as I can tell, the Aragami have a lot more health, and later tiers can be quite challenging, if long. I have not actually carefully looked at the rewards to see if there's a big difference. These are all considered free missions.

Extras: We've a while to go before these show up.

Special: Occasionally, upon any mission completion, you'll have the option to undergo one time missions in this category. I believe the increased reward is extra AP for your NPCs. Failing, or ignoring these free missions will cause them to disappear.

GE2RB: We're on difficulty tier 2. This is difficulty tier 15, and from what I've seen in there. :chloe:

Special: Likewise with Extras, these will show up later.

Now, with the exception of Julius, Gilbert has a skill equipped to the last slot that is empty on the rest of the team.

What in the heck does this actually do?

If we open his skills sheet, we can identify this particular skill's various modifiers.

For brevity's sake, I'm refraining from listing the other skills "Fragging Gil" modifies in lieu for this particular one. The icon for Handover Max Level is greyed with opposing chevrons because when all sources of the skill are summed up, they equal 0.

Dextrous: Increases the speed at which you can switch weapons.
Melee Attack Specialist: Increases damage of melee special attacks.
Restore Post Stock: +1 restore post per level.
Transfer Ratio: Aragami bullet ratio increases. ...I don't actually know what this does.
Stun Grenade stock: +1 stun grenade per level.
Recon Focus: When separated from you, Gil will commit to recon.

With the advent of Blood Arts, the mission results screen adds one more page.

Here shows you the growth of your Blood Arts. Performing the action, like X attacks, will increase your experience in that Art. The more you use against hardier enemies, the more growth you receive. When the bar fills to 100, then you learn the Blood Art, and being working on the next in the line. A popup, not shown here, will appear if you learned Blood Arts during this mission.

Now, over in the loadout screen, the option to select Blood Arts has opened up. Going to the selection brings up this screen. It shows you which one you currently have equipped, and how much progression you have to the next level. Each known listing for a Blood Art explains exactly what it does, if sometimes a little unclear. This particular Art adds in a second attack to your X/LMB attacks. And almost forgot to mention, upon awakening Blood Power, you gain a freebie Blood Art to start you off.

Unlearned Blood Arts are darkened as shown, and give you both the progression to unlocking them, and what exactly unlocks them. Typically its hit, crit, and bonus growth if you happen to crit multiple times in a mission. Since these are all greyed out, I can't actually tell you what they do yet, so that will have to wait for another mechanics update. The buffs they apply to an attack are sometimes dramatic in how they change a attack pattern, so that's something to look forward to.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

I'm amused he called you vice captain on that mission before you were even officially appointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Yeah, I noticed that too. Either he was thinking ahead, or someone messed up the scripting. :v:

• Locked thread