Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Tomorrow evening. I'm eager, but not THAT eager.

You should announce Saturday's lineup tonight. I don't really have any reason why you should, but I wish you would!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very excited about The Howling. Its probably top 3 werewolf flicks ever made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Extraordinary Tales is really nice looking, those who are able to watch the Stream on a bigger screen definitely should for that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

On a scale from "not at all" to "very", how extraordinary are those tales?

Somewhere in the middle. Not amazing but worth watching. The visuals are the main draw though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I unfortunately had way too much going on last night with the debate and football, etc. I don't really contribute much anyway, I find it difficult to keep up with the speed of the chat while also watching the movie.

Were there any first-time Candyman watchers? Hopefully it won at least one person over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm actually surprised you feel its worth it for Sunday nights. Do you get enough people in there to make it worthwhile? I'd never be able to stay for both movies because I can't function at work without a full nights sleep(I say as I post on SA from work).

The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed at myself for missing Candyman. So many scenes that I'd love to witness a live reaction to. The hook through the bathroom mirror scene, the doctor getting killed out of nowhere in the asylum, Helen's husband saying her name 5 times at the end, Helen stepping through the wall to reveal the huge mural, I could go on and on.

I guess Candyman is probably my favorite horror movie of the 90's.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Well, there was some joking about the bad 90s sensibilities in the first half of the film, but then Tony Todd showed up and everything got delicious.

I actually already watched Candyman for my October challenge, and I definitely remember all that 90's stuff. The hot young coed that Helen's husband is cheating with wears ridiculous mom jeans in her first scene for example.

And I'm not sure if its a 90's movie thing, but the academic seriousness that the characters approach urban legends with is great. For some reason Helen is convinced that she'll be totally set career wise if she can just write this amazing thesis on Candyman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

Yup, in the 90s, every piece of media taught you that college was the key to success, and what your subject was wasn't the point. That's why everyone in that Oregon Trail bumper crop where Gen X and Millennial rubs together were all totally hosed by the time they were done with their higher education. ie before college: Follow your dreams! Anything can happen if you do! After college: Wow, that was a dumb dream. You're dumb. Here's a mountain of debt you can't afford.

I definitely fall into that group and yea it was a major problem. A big part of it was that, at least in the middle class suburbs, there was very little emphasis on figuring out what you wanted to do for a career, even all the way through high school. Even first and second year of college, there was a lot of advice being given along the lines of "just stay undecided on a major until you magically hit on something you love and then go that route."

Hell, I'm over 30 and although I've been consistently employed, I don't have great career prospects, and I still get people saying stuff to me like "eh, don't worry you're still young. You have time to figure it out." I feel lucky that I at least got used to the idea of working when I was very young, I know plenty people in my age group that have difficulty just getting up every morning and working for 40 hours a week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The theme two years ago was sequels, so good chance it was Howling 5.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamn that is quite a lineup, quite possibly the best ever for the Scream Stream!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Dude we just had Carnosaur and Exorcist.

This year is way better than last year because the theme was kinda limiting last year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With all of this focus on dog death, I'd be shocked if we didn't get The Thing in one of the remaining streams. Its based on a book too, so it qualifies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, I see. Interesting.

Well, you revealed your hand on that one, I guess we're not getting The Thing. That's fine with me actually, I already watched it this month for my own October challenge.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll be curious to see the reaction to Don't Look Now. The "why hasn't anything happened yet" people that usually can't deal with the more slow burn type films may have a hard time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

What was your favorite movie this Scream Stream? Creepshow aside, I have to go with Christine. It's a perfect mix of Carpenter's most subtle and most outrageous tendencies as a director, and Keith Gordon kills it as Arnie. And talk about some creative kills!

I think I agree with you there, Christine was really a great surprise. Of course it shouldn't have been, being a Carpenter film, but I guess I never felt compelled to watch it because the premise seemed kind dumb. Its amazing how many underappreciated films Carpenter has made. The average person has probably only seen Halloween and The Thing, and maybe Escape from New York. The guy's got 5 or 6 other great films on his resume though.

• Locked thread