Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
You watch TV right? Go to the movies? Listen to music or the radio? Play those video games? Books???

I've been thinking a bit lately about Comics and how they are kind of sub-par compared to everything else. A lot of you reading this probably have seen The Avengers or The Dark Knight, but haven't cared or bothered about the comics they're based on. With a TV show or movie you are (hopefully) treated to great visuals, pacing, and action. Books let you get immersed in the narrative with the fine details. You can get lost in some good music. Good games introduce immersive progression and reward.

Comic books (or your anime manguhs) don't really have any of this. They try to have some of the qualities I list above, but usually in a lesser degree that just makes you bored. You never hear about the hip new comic that is sweeping the nation unless you are already deep in that subculture. Jim Davis is clinically depressed.

Also gently caress webcomics. There may be at least one good comic book out there but there are no good webcomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Last good comic was The Runaways before the third volume came out and ruined everything

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
actually it's anime

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

it used to be but now gbs is back

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I like comics, Putty. Some of them are not very good, but others are really good!

Although they still might be the lowest form of media, except for anime

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If you got examples of good/bad comics feel free to post em. I partly made this thread to see if there is some sort of shining exception that stands itself out from the medium.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i think video games are sorry putty

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Putty posted:

Also gently caress webcomics. There may be at least one good comic book out there but there are no good webcomics.

well said op

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

The silver age of comics has come and gone and the medium will never be this relevant again : (

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016
Good: Preacher, Saga, Lone Wolf & Cub, From Hell, Parasyte.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Putty posted:

Achewood. Dinosaur comics.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Flarpy posted:

Achewood. Dinosaur comics.

Nope!

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Why not?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

putty you and i both know that the lowest form of media is phone games

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i've lost like 7 matches in a row because i changed my battle deck and it fucken sux without giant but i'm trying to not constantly rely on that card.

Flarpy
Aug 13, 2016

Flarpy posted:

Why not?

I mean seriously:
http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=431

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tastes are pretty subjective! While there are many comics, both print and web, that are widely considered to be very good, they may not suit the tastes of everyone, and that's ok. :)

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Anime is down there with comics and TV is not very far above.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Ranma Fan Art posted:

i think video games are sorry putty

I came here to post that it's video games too

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

dinosaur comics for example i just find very dry. the gimmick of using the same strip every comic doesn't really add anything later on and is more ignored than worked with. i'd rather see it on campus billboards than XKCD though anyday

e: i think what im saying is there is no depth to webcomics. when they try to have depth you get more loss.jpg

Hell Yeah posted:

i've lost like 7 matches in a row because i changed my battle deck and it fucken sux without giant but i'm trying to not constantly rely on that card.

you are not allowed to have an opinion on this until you reach Arena 9

Putty fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 27, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think its reality tv. comics can be pretty good. as in, there are 5 good comics in the history of comics, but those are pretty good!

comics suffer a lot from their serial nature. they're too short because so much work has to go into them so they devolve really quickly into: recap last issue, do one thing to advance the plot, crazy twist to try to get you to buy the next one. ad nauseam.

i liked red son though.

but back to what's important. reality tv is garbage tier entertainment and people who consume it should be ashamed.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I think people who get angry at any particular medium are silly billies.

Red Son was cool.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

judge dredd is very good, putty

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually comics are the second highest form of media after cartoons, OP. They combine all the artistic weight of a painting with the plot and characterization of literature. Cartoons beat comics out because they contain music and acting as well.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

e: i think what im saying is there is no depth to webcomics. when they try to have depth you get more loss.jpg

So you're saying more webcomics should try (and fail) to have depth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Silver age was the best. People were over the initial novelty of comics and winning the war changed the general mood of the country and cut out a lot of plots that only worked in the war era. The publishers needed new gimmicks to draw people in and a generation of artists and writers who grew up reading comics were entering the workforce. It wasn't enough that Batman and Superman had to stop criminals, they needed to stage elaborate schemes to catch them in the act. Stan Lee joined Marvel and proceeded to turn it into a superhero powerhouse with a different feel than DC's.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

RaySmuckles posted:

but back to what's important. reality tv is garbage tier entertainment and people who consume it should be ashamed.

Actually this may be right. Reality TV hit a new low for me when they tried to sell a robot dinosaur on Pawn Stars.

Mega64 posted:

So you're saying more webcomics should try (and fail) to have depth.

anything that gives new content to the Bad Webcomics Wiki is good to me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't care if people thinks comics are a garbage media but I care a hell of a lot when someone says comics are just film storyboards. It's my cross to bear.

RaySmuckles posted:

:agreed: only because of the ridiculous artifice involved in making things look "real," so it's bad soap operas for people too pretentious to watch bad soap operas.

-------------

Btw Red Son really loving sucks.

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
ITT:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

LordArgh posted:

actually it's anime

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Comic books were the video games and anime of ye olden times of the golden age of America, when your loving grandpa should have been outside playing sports god drat it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
reality tv

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Reason posted:

reality tv

Nonsense, Jersey Shore ruled

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

mind the walrus posted:

I don't care if people thinks comics are a garbage media but I care a hell of a lot when someone says comics are just film storyboards. It's my cross to bear.

:agreed: only because of the ridiculous artifice involved in making things look "real," so it's bad soap operas for people too pretentious to watch bad soap operas.

-------------

Btw Red Son really loving sucks.

Actually Red Son is pretty good stop being so angry about comics.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i put giant back in because gently caress it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Red Son is simultaneously both good and frequently overpraised imo

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

LGD posted:

Red Son is simultaneously both good and frequently overpraised imo

That's fair. It's just an easy 'here's a good Superman from start to finish with an interesting take' which makes it good to recommend to people who aren't all into comics and aren't gonna read 100 issues of whatever.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

the killing joke is a legitimately good batman. also it ends with an actual joke

e: it is a good way to introduce people to comics before they notice you have 25 years of Dredd case files

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Actually Invincible is the best Superman story and also the best comic series currently running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Roylicious posted:

Actually Red Son is pretty good stop being so angry about comics.
I'm not quit telling me what mood I'm in because I have a better opinion than you.

Applewhite posted:

Actually Invincible is the best Superman story and also the best comic series currently running.
It's the best Superman/Spider-Man hybrid the world will ever get. That's for drat sure.

• Locked thread