Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOrjQXyqZvw

"We don't know why organisms need to sleep, we don't know how consciousness works, and we don't know how ethernet cables work" :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
"Solid state drives sound better"

Audiophilia will be a diagnosable mental illness by the time the DSM-VI comes out.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
that hour long video sure was hilarious

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
Ryan Adams Live At The...11-17-08

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm the projector that only works for 20 seconds or so.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you hold a seashell up to your ear you can either hear the sea or get your ears pierced by a friendly crab.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gargle chome posted:

Ryan Adams Live At The...11-17-08

way to zero-in on the best part of the presentation

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
This is really just the tip of the iceberg. He never once mentioned "crystals" or $5,000/ft cable.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Blistex posted:

This is really just the tip of the iceberg. He never once mentioned "crystals" or $5,000/ft cable.

Cable elevators... wooden potentiometer knobs...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hes no Dr. Charlene Werner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6rUU0K9xE

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Three-Phase posted:

Cable elevators... wooden potentiometer knobs...

Low-oxygen cables, error-correcting cables, analogue-compatible HDMI, electronically-inert glass stereo component spacers.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Have you guys tried taping crystals to your 1/4 gold plug adapters? I find it really straightens out the microacoustics.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Audiophilia is some beautiful intersection of cargo-cult woo and "more money than common sense"

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

wayne curr posted:

Audiophilia is some beautiful intersection of cargo-cult woo and "more money than common sense"

Is this a screencap from a Tremors movie?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

looks like a very large dildo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

wayne curr posted:

are those slim jims of some kind?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the discoloration helps trap electromagnetic leakage and the veins help with the acoustic discharge

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

wayne curr posted:

Retro videogamers are starting to do this crazy poo poo too. It's annoying as hell. Most people can't loving see or hear or react to some of the poo poo these groups spend 100s if not 1000s of dollars to "correct". And get mad if you dare bring up some easier/cheaper solution to their problem nobody but their own hosed up brains created.

It's like ever decreasing improvements for ever increasing prices and these numpties fall for it as an excuse to spend more goddamned money to not accomplish much other than maybe making some cable manufacturer or commissioned salesperson a few extra bucks.

Sort of like jewelry, expensive clothes, and big pricey watches. It's Bougies peacocking to other Bougies while everyone with any sense thinks you are a financially irresponsible prat.

At least sports cars and luxury cars do something effective. (Go fast, look cool, or be mad comfy to drive in. Again rarely to the point one should buy one and most of the people who can afford a Lamborghini aren't ever even gonna go over 70 in a 65 road anyhow...)

It's their money and right to spend I guess. But they shouldn't be surprised when most people don't kiss their asses over it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i justify the lack of windows in my abode (concrete bunker; buried 50ft below the earth's surface) because glass is one of audio's worst enemies

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The best thing about audiophiles is that pretty much everything they claim to love is actually the result of signal degradation and other bad things.

Anybody who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on some insane purist audiophile setup and then goes and tells you that the best format for music is rubbing an old needle against some pits on an old piece of wax is actually crazy.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

The best thing about audiophiles is that pretty much everything they claim to love is actually the result of signal degradation and other bad things.

Anybody who spends thousands and thousands of dollars on some insane purist audiophile setup and then goes and tells you that the best format for music is rubbing an old needle against some pits on an old piece of wax is actually crazy.

I wonder what would happen if you tried out this quiz using one of those $100,000+ setups?
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

lol just lol if you are so poor as to use a record player with a needle

i mean jfc get yourself an ELP laser turntable

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

quote:

I sand the outer and inner edge, black the inner and outer edge, Walker Vivid and then Mapleshade Ionoclast. All must be done or you do not hear what the CD/DVD-A/SACD is capable of.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wayne curr posted:

We found blood sausage to be a vastly superior cable than other mediums. :smuggo:

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
$99 for stickers.
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina47.htm

Clyfe
Mar 21, 2013

wayne curr posted:

I wonder what would happen if you tried out this quiz using one of those $100,000+ setups?
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

It would be hilarious. Using just a pair of under $100 studio headphones and my lovely laptop's soundcard I could make out 5 out of 6, and my ears are dog meat.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

"Strange." - January 2011

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
SOmeone find that article about the guy who claimed to be able to tell how early in a run a record was printed. He would divine how fresh the die was when the record was stamped, and he had a record shop where he would sell the commonest old like Styx and Chicago records for hundreds of dollars because by his measure they must have been among the first in their run.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

The Time Dissolver posted:

SOmeone find that article about the guy who claimed to be able to tell how early in a run a record was printed. He would divine how fresh the die was when the record was stamped, and he had a record shop where he would sell the commonest old like Styx and Chicago records for hundreds of dollars because by his measure they must have been among the first in their run.

That dude is a legend

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

they say that the ps1 as a CD player has very good jitter

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I use k240's. They're like 60$ and maybe the best goddamn headphones in the world.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

t...this is utterly batshit lunatic amazing and there are so many things i want to try playing through this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
always loved the $195 power cord that was 3 wires in a garden hose with hot glue and iron filings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
further reminder that virtually all audiophile forums ban any mention of or requests for any sort of blind a/b or a/b/x testing

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
here is a guy who definitely is a somethingawful poster explaining in detail why youre wrong and dumb if you believe in voodoo affecting your audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

What is happening here?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

further reminder that virtually all audiophile forums ban any mention of or requests for any sort of blind a/b or a/b/x testing

Why are you reading audiophile forums like a loving idiot?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

What is happening here?

Dude about to play some brotha lynch hung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Why are you reading audiophile forums like a loving idiot?

Well you google one 12ax7 preamp circuit and go to the forums index and hahah it's one of those forums, ok lets go to the reviews subforum just to see what dumb poo poo they're saying now....hmmmm....yes....interesting.....wooly midrange, you say....wait why are you comparing stereo imaging to cheese sharpness....OH GOD WHERE AM I *close tab*

• Locked thread