Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You motherfucker :argh: took me a while to find my first Magic Mirror! (There IS also variants of it that look a lot cooler, but those are effectively early-mid game and late-game finds unless you get REAL lucky). Also, Grenades are REAL loving handy early game, specially if you find them early enough in decent quantities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Reading this got me to start up a new game as well. Somehow my starting area, despite being green and having trees, is also int he middle of the desert, due to there being tons of sand just beneath the surface. So my starting area gets the fun of desert enemies and sandstorms, except a little spot off to the left a bit where it's back tot he forest biome. And I've decided to build a nifty tower there for my base, but it only barely got started.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Sometimes I wonder how some of the late-game stuff is possible at ALL without seriously outclassing it in equipment, but then, me and my friends are kind of bad at video games...

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

DoubleNegative posted:

I didn't realize they grew back in that area. To be fair, I usually have to go well out of my way to hunt the area down, and when I do find it, I'm typically only there to get one thing.

I found that out pretty quickly when I inadvertently cut through one with a hellavator shaft once. I ended up having to wallpaper the entire area just to pass through.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Terraria tip: If your home base doesn't have a dozen chests or more, you're doing it wrong. Devoting each chest to a specific type or biome of loot is recommended, because otherwise when it comes time to get something out for crafting, you have to rummage through everything to find it.
Let me tell you about organization.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Sometimes I wonder how some of the late-game stuff is possible at ALL without seriously outclassing it in equipment, but then, me and my friends are kind of bad at video games...
Cheese.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dr. Buttass posted:

Hot tip: hand the guide a glass bottle. Write down the necessary ingredients for useful looking buff potions and start hunting them down.

Possible slight game mechanic spoilers: The buff button (defaults to 'B', so it's easy to remember) will automatically use one of each buff potion in your inventory as long as you don't have that buff already active (so you can periodically press 'B' during the fight to renew buffs that have dropped off).

Buffs make a huge difference when fighting late-game bosses with gear you can get before fighting them for the first time.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Not enough boxes.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Yeah, I don't have time for quite that level of turbo-spergery. DN showed me his endgame world, and it was also appropriately bizarre and obviously overly time-consuming to construct.

My NPCs get the communist efficiency apartments and like it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I just use signs and dump all my old stuff into a lava pit

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I wonder if the old infinite water/lava/honey trick was fixed.

I made a giant factory that produced an infinity supply of obsidian/honey comb/whatever you get when you mix lava/honey.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
I'll admit I did more than a little grumbling at the early mirror find, but as I just rolled a new world myself I was congratulating myself on being lucky enough to find myself a frenzied blowpipe I-- :argh:

Seriously, hell of a roll you got with those two finds. It'll be interesting to see what crimson is. Also, seeing as you're burrowing in a few different directions all at once, do you have any plans to (minor construction tactic spoiler)build a hellevator at some point?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Are you labeling your chests with the tiles underneath? Because that's pretty clever.

Lache posted:

Seriously, hell of a roll you got with those two finds. It'll be interesting to see what crimson is. Also, seeing as you're burrowing in a few different directions all at once, do you have any plans to (minor construction tactic spoiler)build a hellevator at some point?

To give a non-spoilery answer, yes.

To elaborate... Yes, but not until after I've gone into the dungeon. I wanna find the shadow key first. Digging the hellevator might also be the first time I recruit some help, because digging a 5-6 wide tunnel clear down through the map, and then walling it off and adding safety ropes takes ages by yourself.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Sooooo.....

Anybody interested in playing together?

Maybe we could possibly start a Steam group or something?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Oh man, this is killing me. I like it lean and messy-looking (but actually fairly well organized and compact). blueprint

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Dr. Buttass posted:

Don't feel bad. Much as I love the game, its combat is not what I would call good, by any stretch of the word. The game's haphazard and accidental balance means that actual skill at aiming and dodging is only one of three things required to succeed, the other two being buffs and building an arena that exploits a given boss's weakness. Even if you die to a boss, it's usually relatively easy to figure out which buffs would be useful and how to properly exploit their movement and attack patterns.

Strategic distribution of campfires and heart lanterns, for example.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Yea a well prepared arena trivializes most boss fights. I'm not sure how you are expected to beat some of the bosses without them honestly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I find it to be the biggest design flaw of Terraria. The game, in its eagerness to let players progress by whatever path they may choose, has trouble gauging what the boss difficulty should be. It's hard to predict a player's capability considering how different each player's loadout can end up being, so the design ends up tilting on the harder side.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

DoubleNegative posted:

To give a non-spoilery answer, yes.

To elaborate... Yes, but not until after I've gone into the dungeon. I wanna find the shadow key first. Digging the hellevator might also be the first time I recruit some help, because digging a 5-6 wide tunnel clear down through the map, and then walling it off and adding safety ropes takes ages by yourself.

Use bombs or bombfish. All of the bombs. make sure they're sticky bombs, toss a bunch downwards and jump away from the explosion. Seriously, it's your easiest way to making a hellevator even if it's not exactly cost effective unless you A. Find a bomb statue and then wire it to a switch or B. Hoard all of the bombs you find for the forseeable future. Seriously, bombs are your easiest route to a hellevator. Just make sure you can negate fall damage or set up a pool of water near the bottom.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

DoubleNegative posted:

Are you labeling your chests with the tiles underneath? Because that's pretty clever.
I am! This also means that a few bits of floor in my landspike bases literally hurts people without fire protection!

The new types of chests added on with updates as seen in the third, fifth, and sixth screenshots made it less necessary but ultimately I've wound up still preferring the look of floor labeling.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Well holy poo poo

Guess my Weekend just went up in smoke.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That looks pretty interesting. That reminds me though, wasn't there an official sequel in the works too?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

CrashScreen posted:

That looks pretty interesting. That reminds me though, wasn't there an official sequel in the works too?

Yes there is an official sequel in the works.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I reinstalled thanks to this

My Hellavator for life.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#4 - My Town

Hello there, I didn't hear you come in. Welcome back to Rivershire! I'm bringing you tomorrow's update early.

So what do you think about expanding even more? But not outward. No, we're going up. But first we're going to need to make some scaffolding.

It ain't pretty, but scaffolding is always a function over form thing anyway. We just gotta be able to jump to the second floor.

Like so! This new block that we're placing down is called a platform. We've seen them before, in the tree last time. These are another in the "incredibly handy to have while spelunking" category of items. They are super cheap to make: 1 piece of wood creates 2 platforms. You can walk on top of them freely, but if you tap the S button while on them, you drop right through!

We won't be doing it here, but you can also use platforms to create doorless rooms for NPCs. As long as the entire floor isn't made of them, you can use them as the "doors" for an NPC's dwelling. Some people use this to create tiny coffins for their poor tenants, rooms that are just barely wide enough for a chair and a workbench side-by-side.

The shell of the second floor is mostly done! We just need an easy way in and out, and I think I have just the thing...

Wheeee! Anyway, the upper floor is gonna need some special wall tiles, and I know just where to find them. So we'll just tear down the scaffolding and make our way back underground.

The planked wall has a nice look to it. Kind of like what you would find in a cellar. It's not exactly appropriate for the second floor of our clubhouse, but it'll do right now.

Looking pretty sharp if I do say so myself. Sure the second floor is defying every law of physics simultaneously, but that's part of the charm.

Anyway, we're going to need some more wood for furniture. So I'm going to go collect that. I'll spare you all the trip, because nobody needs to see yet more screenshots of me cutting down trees.

While I was out, the traveling merchant showed up. He has a 1-in-4 chance of showing up each day, provided we have at least two NPCs. So let's go see what he's offering.

Bohemas is apparently admiring our handiwork.

poo poo, that's too rich for our blood. Anyway, I briefly mentioned it last time, but fishing is indeed a thing in this game. We can make a simple wooden fishing pole, so we don't really need this monstrosity. Not yet, at least. even if it is the third best fishing pole in the game

Anyway, the other stuff he has for sale right now is...

DPS Meter - 5 Gold coins - (Displays your DPS on the right side of the screen)
Portable Cement Mixer - 10 Gold coins - (Increases wall placement speed. INCREDIBLY useful, but we can't afford it)
Chalice - 50 silver coins - (:shrug: It... looks... nice?)
Extendo Grip - 10 Gold coins - (Increases tile reach. Like the cement mixer, incredibly useful to have, but we can't afford it)
Stopwatch - 5 Gold coins - (Displays your movement speed on the right side of the screen)

We can't afford anything but the decorative chalice, so Bohemas can linger in the empty upstairs apartment all he likes.

So you know what our little fortress-clubhouse needs? Actual tree bark for walls. This is the use of the Living Wood Wand that we found last time.

We've even got a little balcony entrance. Now it's time to show off another useful feature of the hammer. You see those rough stairs next to the door? What if I told you that we could smooth them out?

You can smack any block with the hammer to change its shape. In the case of jagged stair-like edges, you can smack it twice to create a smooth slope.

It looks much nicer as a result. Now, we need to be able to get in and out of the base. But the ledge we're standing on is just barely high enough that a zombie could jump up. So we're left with a slight dilemma. It's time to set up some defenses!

First we clear out the nearby trees and use the pickaxe on the first couple layers of soil. This makes the balcony above impossible to reach from the ground. You can see on the mouse pointer the solution for getting in. Enemies in this game can't use ropes, which makes the base all but impregnable by ground assault.

Using the leaf wand, we also make the base start to look like a particularly squat tree.

Now for the second part of the defenses.

Thanks to a weird quirk of the jumping system, we're just barely able to get out. Any hostile creatures that wind up down there aren't likely to be so lucky.

Now for the other important part of having a permanent base. We need item storage and badly!

On the right side of the menu for chests is the option to rename them. This is new as of a few months ago!

I give it a slightly more appropriate name. This chest is gonna hold all the wood and dirt and sand and whatever else we find that we can build stuff with.

The next three chests are for Potions and Ingredients, Minerals, and Everything Else. The minerals chest will hold ore, bars, and gemstones.

As the third day draws to a close, our little wooden base is starting to look more and more like a tree. Something else happens as well...

Terraria Soundtrack Vol. 2 - Rain

It starts to rain.

I've also swapped to the official Re-Logic bandcamp pages instead of random youtube videos. There are unmarked spoilers for the tracks on these pages, so be aware that you might be spoiled for all kinds of stuff if you click through.

Anyway, raining is mostly a cosmetic thing. Certain things do happen in the rain, but right now none of it affects us.

No sooner is the next room completed when...

Seriously. It was less than 5 seconds before he showed up.

Kind of a short fellow, but we won't hold that against him.

As you might expect, the Demolitionist is the NPC we qualified for when we found that grenade last time.

Grenade - 75 Copper coins - (60 Throwing Damage, doesn't destroy tiles)
Bomb - 3 Silver coins - (Small explosion. Destroys a few tiles. Probably will kill you if you are caught in the blast)
Dynamite - 20 Silver coins - (Large explosion. Destroys tiles*. Also 60% cheaper than it used to be)

Dynamite is a special case for the "destroys tiles" description. Specifically it will destroy everything that isn't explicitly marked as explosion proof. Containers with items inside are explicitly explosion proof.

Anyway, we don't buy any of his goods... yet. There will be a time in the not too distant future where we will be well acquainted with Dolgen and his goods.

Here we're walking out into the wilderness to take advantage of one of Terraria's quirks. See, Dolgen can't use ropes either. So he's currently trapped outside of our clubhouse.

But if we go a couple screens away at night and then return to the base...

Oh, right. During rainstorms, zombies will wear raincoats. They even have a nonzero chance to drop either the coat or hat for us.

Anyway, we're back at home and Dolgen has magically transported up to his new room. How? Why? Well, leaving your base specifically at night and walking away for a couple screens causes the game to teleport every NPC to where they're supposed to be.

I take this opportunity to make the left side of our base as equally unreachable as the right portion.

Because we're using so much living wood otherwise, no reason we can't set up the Living Wood Loom to see what else we can make.

But before we do, take a look at this. During rainstorms, goldfish will get up out of their ponds and walk around.

Living wood walls sound good, right?

It has kind of a wooden fence look. I like it.

So how about living leaf walls?

I really like that look. As a bonus, the chill from the nighttime rain is kept out.

Now tell me that doesn't look warm and cozy. It ain't the prettiest base ever made, but it's ours. And that's also enough for now.

NEXT TIME: Caves! Mining! Spelunking! Lots of torches!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
That treefort is coming along nicely. It's amazing how much prettier you can make your homebase with some actual effort.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Good grief, first the Magic Mirror then a Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole? I've never had the Traveling Merchant sell one in all my games. Where the hell are you getting all this luck from? (Yes I know you couldn't afford it, but it's the principle of the thing dammit! :argh:)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

Good grief, first the Magic Mirror then a Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole? I've never had the Traveling Merchant sell one in all my games. Where the hell are you getting all this luck from? (Yes I know you couldn't afford it, but it's the principle of the thing dammit! :argh:)

:ssh: As of this morning's recording, I still don't have enough ore to make the best pre-boss armor. So all my good luck is going to item drops instead of the useful stuff.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

That treefort is coming along nicely. It's amazing how much prettier you can make your homebase with some actual effort.

Agreed.

Anyway, do all the "special" zombies have special drops? For example, what, if anything, does the Bubblehead Zombie drop in addition to the standard zombie drops?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I am going to loot your corpse for those delicious finds.

Also my favorite base is to make a tree into space and then live in it.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
By "bubblehead zombie", you mean the zombie with a slime on their heads? They also drop gel when they die. Most of the zombies that look visually different have a different loot table.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gimbal lock posted:

By "bubblehead zombie", you mean the zombie with a slime on their heads? They also drop gel when they die. Most of the zombies that look visually different have a different loot table.

I... guess? I was referring to the one with the blue ball over its head in the second update- the one in the first dark shot. If that's a slime, then yes, that's what I was talking about.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

CptWedgie posted:

Agreed.

Anyway, do all the "special" zombies have special drops? For example, what, if anything, does the Bubblehead Zombie drop in addition to the standard zombie drops?

Some do, yes. Zombies with arrows in them can drop arrows, zombies with bubbles on their heads can drop gel, etc, etc. There is a bit of variety, but most of them are either event exclusive or in other biomes. Most regular zombie variants DO however have around a 0.4% chance to drop a weapon which is equivalent to a Tungsten Broadsword, but has juuuust a little bit less range. Zombies also drop an accessory that gives 1 defense (Or up to 5 depending on prefix) which have a decent drop-rate on them at 2% and make a good filler early-game. And before you ask, no, you can't double up on accessories, so you can only have one shackle equipped.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

He can also drop a special weapon that most slimes can also drop.

The odds of it dropping is stupidly small, but you do kill a lot of slime type enemies.

What's noteworthy about it is with a few exceptions, the type of weapon that drops is mostly endgame only (though it's certainly the weakest one).

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 5, 2016

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I played this game a bit on my old pc years ago. I think I stopped right before achieving hard mode.

After two nights I have a pretty comparable base to the OP's. No Magic Mirror but I did get a Zombie Arm and a Slime Staff, which both seem quite good for my first weapons after crafting a wooden sword.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Wow, you got the staff? drat now THAT'S some serious luck.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I think my happiest lucky find was a first night zombie arm with a pretty decent modifier. In my current game I'm quite a ways further along, but I was also lucky enough to find a certain wonderful weapon 'neath a giant tree while I was still only in iron armor. I usually have to use a map viewer to hunt that weapon down, so getting it on accident was very nice.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Well done OP. I'm down the goddamn rabbit hole again.

I started a new character and a large world, and I'm having some lovely luck. A certain red-zone is to my left, and to my right is a drop that will automatically kill me, which is fine because if I dig down it's a desert, which is uncrossable at the starting tiers. I've got a couple of the big trees within that area, but none of them are the type to have the goodie chest. The only area that has any decent caves is a winter area just in front of the red-zone.

This is gonna be grindy as hell.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

RickVoid posted:

Well done OP. I'm down the goddamn rabbit hole again.

I started a new character and a large world, and I'm having some lovely luck. A certain red-zone is to my left, and to my right is a drop that will automatically kill me, which is fine because if I dig down it's a desert, which is uncrossable at the starting tiers. I've got a couple of the big trees within that area, but none of them are the type to have the goodie chest. The only area that has any decent caves is a winter area just in front of the red-zone.

This is gonna be grindy as hell.

Start a new world. There is no reason to frustrate yourself like that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

dancingbears posted:

Set it aside, return later for your revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

dancingbears posted:

Fish Noise posted:

Set it aside, return later for your revenge.

Yep, I hear you guys. When I get home tonight my character is going to become a Planeswalker.

• Locked thread