Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Jagged Jim posted:

Good grief, first the Magic Mirror then a Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole? I've never had the Traveling Merchant sell one in all my games. Where the hell are you getting all this luck from? (Yes I know you couldn't afford it, but it's the principle of the thing dammit! :argh:)

Probably from me. This LP also got me starting up a new game and, well, it's not going well.

Unless you consider two Blood Moons in a row good luck, in which case, I'm exceptionally lucky. My townsfolk... not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Whelp, I answered my own question.

I made an infinite liquid generator (water/lava).

Accidentally.

In the middle of my hellevator :cripes:

I don't know if I should be proud of myself or kicking my own rear.

At least money will never be a problem again.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
...How do you accidentally make an infinite liquid generator?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

mauman posted:

I made an infinite liquid generator (water/lava).

Accidentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-frFd9u0CGU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mikl posted:

...How do you accidentally make an infinite liquid generator?

I had a water reservoir above me in case I came across lava directly in my path and to add landing pads when I needed them. When it was time to get rid of it, I drained several pools of lava into a nearby chamber so that I could safely get rid of it.

Neither pool diminished after I mined 1000 pieces of obsidian.

The liquids in this game have some weird rules. 1.3 supposedly changed some of them but I must have gotten it just right on accident.

I could destroy it, but then I would want to rebuild it later somewhere else and that would take a crap ton of time. I just added a small detour. Adds like 10 seconds to the travel time.

I might post a picture of it later.

:eng99:

mauman fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Terrarian water certainly does not behave like Earth water, I can tell you that much. :v: I'm sure DoubleNegative will elaborate when it comes time to talk about fishing, if not sooner.

Rasler
Dec 30, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Are you labeling your chests with the tiles underneath? Because that's pretty clever.

To give a non-spoilery answer, yes.

To elaborate... Yes, but not until after I've gone into the dungeon. I wanna find the shadow key first. Digging the hellevator might also be the first time I recruit some help, because digging a 5-6 wide tunnel clear down through the map, and then walling it off and adding safety ropes takes ages by yourself.

I now just use bombs instead of digging. If you aim them straight down they don't bounce off to the left or right, and you can just spam them to dig a tunnel down whilst roping yourself down at the same time to avoid drowning, being in lava etc. It creates a 6-7 wide hole, I think. I find it a lot quicker.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Planeswalker Update:

Made a small world (named Pocket Plane).

Desert full of angry things to the left, beyond which lies a very green area. Died many times attempting to explore it.

A purple area crossed with a cold area lies to my right.

Fortunately, I was able to dig down from my starting area and found some very nice ore veins. I've managed to get some spoilery things as well, which is nice.

I might be able to go back to my main world and die multiple times to the first boss!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

If I wanted to get back into Terraria, would I be better off making one world and sticking with it, or making a "core" world and just make throwaway worlds to try to get rarer items early?

And other than size, what does the world size change? Are there more/less chests in the different sized worlds? More biomes or does it just stretch out the current biomes? And are Sky island chests still locked?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to get back into Terraria, would I be better off making one world and sticking with it, or making a "core" world and just make throwaway worlds to try to get rarer items early?

And other than size, what does the world size change? Are there more/less chests in the different sized worlds? More biomes or does it just stretch out the current biomes? And are Sky island chests still locked?

You'll probably want a second world of the opposite color, but unless you want to build a housing complex entirely out of palm wood or something you can just stick with one world for most purposes. That said, there are a few one-per-world structures like the giant tree, pyramid, and sword grotto that have more potential drops then can appear in one world, so once you're up to around iron/silver gear you might want to generate a few small worlds to loot them, especially the last one.

More chests, same number of biomes, no, that got removed a while back. They have a nifty new tileset too.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Generally speaking, there are certain things which only have a chance of spawning on a given world, so if you're looking for a complete set of X, or you definitely want Y, some throwaway worlds will be needed probably. The number of chests in a world, generally speaking, is proportionate to the size, and spread out accordingly. So bigger world does mean more stuff. As for the spoiler... I didn't realize that they were in the first place, so... I mean, if they are, then they will probably continue to be.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#5 - Sixteen Tons

Welcome back to Rivershire. Last time was the end of the first bit of recorded footage, so I decided to throw in what the loading screen looks like. It's just some text and a number that goes from 0-100%.

I recorded this particular batch of playtime a week ago, so you'll forgive me if I don't remember specifics.

So you might be wondering why we spawn here instead of in our base. You may not recognize it without all the gigantic trees around, but this is where we initially spawned into the world several updates back. There is a way to change your spawn location, but it requires stuff we don't yet have. Let's fix that, shall we?

This little pond marks the edge of how far we've previously explored. So everything to the left from here is uncharted territory. Exciting, huh?

Also take a look at the weird bush in front of us. You wouldn't know it to look at it, but that is a dye plant.

I'm sure you remember a couple updates back when I briefly discussed dyes, and mentioned that the Yellow Marigold partially qualified us for the associated NPC. This Strange Plant is the actual key. He'll show up in a little bit, but the Dye Trader only spawns when three conditions are met:

1) You must have an empty house
2) You must have found a Strange Plant

OR

2) You must have beaten one of the first four bosses

and finally

3) You must have a material used to craft dye in your inventory. Strange Plants count for this purpose.

So really, Strange Plants are the key here. The dyes that they create tend to be bizarre. We'll find a bunch of Strange Plants as we journey throughout Rivershire, and I'll be sure to show off their various effects as we turn them into dyes.

Let's continue on. There's a much deeper pond just a little farther to the left from the smaller one. This would have stopped our explorations had the last one not. But we're now better equipped to deal with what we'll find this way, so some water won't stop us now.

Terraria is a game where you need to think laterally about the challenge in front of you. Sure you could meticulously jump up nigh-impossible cliff faces, or you could just build a staircase, or place a rope instead.

Well this cave is a bust. If there's anything down there, it's out of our reach for right now. We're not a very good swimmer. In fact, we don't "swim" so much as "sink."

While replenishing my stocks of wood for the journey ahead, the largest annoyance of rainy days in Terraria comes to harass me. Flying fish are unusually aggressive enemies. They don't have a lot of health or defenses, and most any weapon will make short work of them. So they're never really dangerous - just annoying as hell.

I'm not sure why it got so dark. Daytime will last for many hours yet to come. Anyway, because the lower path is a dud, I've elected to build a second bridge to help with the flow of movement.

As we continue even more to the left, the Dye Trader arrives back at the base. It'll be a while yet before we can properly welcome him, so he'll have plenty of opportunity to move into his new dwelling.

Yet another large tree blocks our path. There sure are a lot of these things in the world.

As though there were any doubt how I was going to handle getting past the tree. The Ironskin Potion increases our defense by 8 points, which if you remember the math, means we will shave off 4 additional points of damage from an attack. These are super handy for boss fights, and we'll be holding onto this for just that reason.

This imposing cliff will mark the end of our journey to the left. But we're not done exploring yet. This particular spot continues downward. This spot incredibly likely to be a cave entrance.

This small area under the cliff is mostly empty except for some pots containing the usual suspects.

Shall we?

Determining which canyons and valleys on the surface lead to a cavern isn't an exact science. After a while you kind of get a feel for it. Some otherwise unassuming pits in the ground can lead to astonishingly large caverns.

The way this one keeps going down is an incredibly good sign. If it were a shallow cave, it definitely would have ended before now.

We're just getting started and already we've found some treasure!

The Spear is a better weapon, damage-wise, than our wooden sword. It can be harder to use, though.

The only new item is the green potion, which is a Swiftness Potion. It increases our movement speed by 25%.

I tried to get a gif of poking this slime to death, but it was much too large. But the spear is a poking weapon with a very long reach. It's kind of difficult to use correctly, but you can indefinitely juggle a group of enemies if you know what you're doing. It also pierces through anything you hit with it, which is what lets you juggle so many enemies.

You can tell we're in an actual cave now because of the abundance of iron ore everywhere.

Until we get an early game accessory, it can also be quite difficult to mine things on the ceiling. So we have to, again, think outside of the box.

This next chest has two new items.

This is the first magic weapon most players are likely to find. It's not bad, but quickly gets outclassed by everything else.

The other new item are the bars next to the wand, which are just iron, but in bar form.

The little spark isn't exactly impressive. But it can pierce through enemies, and can even rarely set them on fire.

This little enemy is a new one. This is a jellyfish, as you might guess, and they show up fairly often in deep enough pools of water.

You also really do not want to get stung by them. 20 HP is a lot at this stage of the game!

When they die, jellyfish always drop glowsticks, which you can see the use of here. Torches, naturally, do not work underwater.

You can also see in the previous two shots the game's breath meter, which can be identified by those bubbles above Sam's head. Until we can properly swim, or at least have better options for movement, it's best to avoid water altogether. Otherwise you're very likely to drown in a pool of water half a mile under the earth.

And now nobody has to fall into that murky pool of water ever again.

You can see the cavern layer starting properly just below us. There's also a strange mushroom as well. This is the Teal Mushroom, and it's another dye item.

Now, I'd like to demonstrate the other use for glowsticks.

The glowstick isn't supposed to bounce off of tungsten and phase through a solid wall at the end, but you can throw them to see what's in the darkness below you. Handy, huh?

It's never really a problem underground, but you always want a bunch of building blocks so you can bridge gaps. If you run out, then... well, how do you run out of building materials when you're surrounded by them in every direction?

The way back up will need some smoothing out in the future, but this works for now.

When underground, be sure to check out every nook and cranny. You never know when you might find a massive vein of ore with some cursory exploration.

Do you see what I see?

Hell yeah! An underground cabin, some copper ore, and some topaz gemstones.

For the most part, gemstones are just another decorative block. They do have one other, incredibly helpful, use. But we won't be seeing that for a while yet. Because they're valuable stones, we're going to collect and hoard them.

These statues in the underground cabin are kind of grotesque.

Shoe Spikes give us Mega Man-like wall jumping abilities. They're also 1/4 of a much larger accessory that we won't completely have until near the very end of the game.

Because this is our first accessory, I should go over how to equip them.

Back over to the equipment pane, there are five slots below our armor. Those are for accessories.

It can also be difficult to see, but Sam is now wearing shoe spikes. Equipped accessories will, for the most part, appear on your character somewhere.

As ugly as they are, we still grab the two statues. Maybe they'll scare something away from the base?

Time to continue on!

Or not.

So what just happened?

We got crushed to death by a boulder trap, that's what.

The underground is an incredibly dangerous place. There are traps all over, and we just got unlucky enough to blindly jump right onto a touchplate. Scroll back up to the last shot where we were alive and look, you can see that there's a tiny raised bit of floor. That was our only clue that particular trap existed.

Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 8, 2016

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Boulders, the nemesis of every spelunker.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

God I hate boulders.

Funny how your glowstick went through a wall. Who's breaking Scientific laws now? :downs:

Randalor posted:

Happy to give info here.

1. There are a few mini biomes that rarely show up and they might not have the items you would want from them. I can think of at least one mini-biome that drives me nuts :argh:. So yes, you're probably going to make a few throwaway worlds. Plus if you want to make, say, a poo poo ton of glass without destroying your deserts, a throwaway world works great for that sort of thing. You'll also probably want a corruption/crimson world you can jump into to get certain items (crimson has better items but tends to be tougher). Personally, I would make your home world Crimson.

2. World size increases number of biomes (large could have 5 or more deserts for instance) which increases items/chests to be found and possible mini-biomes. Only the jungle seems to stretched out, the rest could be broken up into multiple biomes (like multiple deserts). There are more sky islands and no the chests are no longer locked and helps prevent weird things from happening, like your jungle being completely overwritten with corruption/crimson. Downside is that there is of course more space you need explore, making it harder to find any of these.

I like playing on large worlds myself. I do know that means more effort though.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 7, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I have died so many times to boulders it's ridiculous. Luckily I'm now at a point where I can sort of shrug off a boulder to the face, and almost never have that problem anyways on account of barely ever touching the ground. Also, ouch that's a lot of money to be losing at this point in the game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

That was our only clue that particular trap existed.

That, and the giant tone sphere curiously embedded in random cave ceiling.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Can you still drain the Ocean?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Yep. I'm not a fan of doing so, but you can.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
I'm really surprised you stuck with the wooden sword after you found cobweb. I was shocked by how effective the wooden yo-yo was in the very early game. I can't think of a better option that can hit multiple times (to a ridiculous number in some cases) at range, and can have its range easily extended with a craftable item.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lache posted:

I'm really surprised you stuck with the wooden sword after you found cobweb. I was shocked by how effective the wooden yo-yo was in the very early game. I can't think of a better option that can hit multiple times (to a ridiculous number in some cases) at range, and can have its range easily extended with a craftable item.

It hasn't really shaken out in the updates yet because we're still so early in, but after making some rather substantial progress while recording this morning, I've taken to using a magic and ranged playing style.

EDIT: Also I had honestly forgotten that the spoilered item type even existed until earlier today.

Spoilers below for those interested:

As of this morning, King Slime is dead, the Eye of Cthulhu is dead, the Brain of Cthulhu is dead, a Goblin Army has been defeated, two meteorites have landed - one of which I've completely strip mined, and so Sam is fully outfitted in Meteorite Armor, with all worthwhile items having been crafted from it. I've also found both the Dungeon and the Jungle

I think after all of that, I'm gonna stop recording for a bit and let the LP catch up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: Also I had honestly forgotten that the spoilered item type even existed until earlier today.

Those item types are fairly decent, though it's not until later that they get really amazing, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing a few of those.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Lazy Bear posted:

Yep. I'm not a fan of doing so, but you can.

Doesn't it kinda jack up the game now?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Forget the bosses, I'm of the belief that the Angler is the most vile and evil thing in this game.

edit: I just had the dumbest trap death ever :cripes:

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 8, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mauman posted:

edit: I just had the dumbest trap death ever :cripes:

What we all say to ourselves, when it happens :(:hf::saddowns:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

mauman posted:

Forget the bosses, I'm of the belief that the Angler is the most vile and evil thing in this game.

Ask Yapping Eevee sometime about that particular thing being spiteful. He was very unhappy with it yesterday.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

mauman posted:

DoubleNegative posted:

Ask Yapping Eevee sometime about that particular thing being spiteful. He was very unhappy with it yesterday.
:unsmigghh:

I could not agree with you more, mauman. I believe the conversation I had with DN began with me randomly messaging them this: "Stop giving me MOTHERFUCKING SEXTANTS"

(Mainly because he's given me four or five of those, but I still need three of his other 1/40 items.)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Yapping Eevee posted:

:unsmigghh:

I could not agree with you more, mauman. I believe the conversation I had with DN began with me randomly messaging them this: "Stop giving me MOTHERFUCKING SEXTANTS"

(Mainly because he's given me four or five of those, but I still need three of his other 1/40 items.)

:stonk:

I'll take one. That's the exact item I need.

Please tell me you haven't sold them yet. Save me from my torment, I want my cell phone :eng99:

I swear if I get one more vanity item from that bastard.....

I don't loving NEED 7 MERMAID OUTFITS!!!

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 8, 2016

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ha, tell me about it. And check your inbox, so we can stop making this look like a CIA document.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ah, Terraria, I invested dozens of hours on it although I didn't get too far as bosses are concerned since I prefered to focus on building poo poo. I made some sort of underground city will themed rooms for the NPCs and certain kind of statues aboveground, I'll link to the screenshots because NPC/items spoilers I guess:

http://imgur.com/a/xNkkV

This will be a nice opportunity to see what I missed, I might pick it up again playing more seriously.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 8, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Hehehe. I just got a certain melee weapon from a fishing crate. lovely modifier, but I fixed that up pretty quick. I know that the thing that's been black-barred the past couple of posts is awful, (Not so much to me apparently, I've got 2 of the fishing level boosting accessories, and the last quest I did rounded out the outfit) but the related tasks are well worth the time and effort.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Petiso posted:

Ah, Terraria, I invested dozens of hours on it although I didn't get too far as bosses are concerned since I prefered to focus on building poo poo. I made some sort of underground city will themed rooms for the NPCs and certain kind of statues aboveground, I'll link to the screenshots because NPC/items spoilers I guess:

http://imgur.com/a/xNkkV

This will be a nice opportunity to see what I missed, I might pick it up again playing more seriously.

No Protoman?
Well, that said, your underground city far beats out my method of "Stick the NPCs into a floating set of rooms" thing.
Seriously though, those are some amazing statues.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I gotta wonder how ducks of all things keep spawning on the bottom levels of my Commie Cubes. Guess theirs worse things that can spawn....but considering that nothing is SUPPOSED to spawn down there.....

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
It's always impressive to see how creative people get with their worlds. Those statues are great.

I look forward to seeing what method the OP ended up going with for defeating the Eye. I found it almost trivially easy with the crazy DPS one of the better pre-hardmode yo-yos puts out. Considering how many times I had my rear end handed to me when I first played, that was a huge change.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Lache posted:

I look forward to seeing what method the OP ended up going with for defeating the Eye. I found it almost trivially easy with the crazy DPS one of the better pre-hardmode yo-yos puts out. Considering how many times I had my rear end handed to me when I first played, that was a huge change.
His state of the game spoilered post puts him at the point where I generally feel comfortable doing that fight. Full meteor armor with the piercing and high dps of the space gun, on a prepared arena.

Good God, there's been a lot of black bars recently.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

His state of the game spoilered post puts him at the point where I generally feel comfortable doing that fight. Full meteor armor with the piercing and high dps of the space gun, on a prepared arena.

Good God, there's been a lot of black bars recently.

That dude is easily the easiest boss in the game. It takes you a full set of sequence-broken post-Corruption gear and a prepared arena to take him down? I usually beat him with a gold broadsword on the roof of my house.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Iny posted:

That dude is easily the easiest boss in the game. It takes you a full set of sequence-broken post-Corruption gear and a prepared arena to take him down? I usually beat him with a gold broadsword on the roof of my house.
I'm a wimp, and much prefer ranged combat and getting hit as absolutely little as possible. I also play expert mode. I don't know if you are as well, but that does make quite a difference.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

I also play expert mode. I don't know if you are as well, but that does make quite a difference.

Ahh, that makes sense. Yeah, I play on normal mode, so of course that dude is way easier.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#6 - Even Flow

I told you Sam would live again. Hello everyone, and welcome back to Rivershire.

Hello Dye Trader, goodbye Dye Trader.

But before we head back down to recover our money, I want to show off another neat feature that chests have. Pictured here is what the minerals chest looks like. The top row has the raw ore, while the second row has the bar created from it. I find that this sorting method helps me visually keep track of how much of anything I have at a glance.

But whoops! I accidentally closed the chest before I could put in these 45 pieces of iron ore. What to do?

This little button here is the answer! If a nearby chest has any amount of something we have in our inventory, we can press this button and the game will automatically distribute the items into the proper chests.

Before...

And after!

You can also quickly place items in chests by shift clicking on the item if the chest is already open.

Anyway, let's try that again with 100% less death to boulders*.

* - Death to boulders not necessarily guaranteed to be lowered.

Terraria Soundtrack - Underground

The good news is that retracing our steps takes almost no time at all. As a further bonus, the boulder traps are once only. So once they're triggered, you don't have to worry about setting them off again.

We got all our money back, too. Plus there's a new thing to look at just over to the left. But first...

Touchplates can be mined without setting them off the first time. So if you're lucky enough to see it first, you can deactivate the trap.

If you equip the touchplate on your hotbar, you can also see where the game generated any nearby wires. In this case, we can see just how the boulder fall trap worked in its beautiful, deadly simplicity. This will make a lot more sense much later on, when we can start working with wires ourselves.

Looking at your own tombstone is kind of hosed up.

Anyway, before we continue on, I want to show how water works. So we're going to mine out the bottom of this pool we fell into last time.

As you might imagine, water flows until it goes down as far as it possibly can. So in this case, we have a pool of water emptying out into the caverns below. I should point out that flowing liquids will "uproot" torches that you've placed.

Continuing on...

There's not a lot to say about exploring caves. It's where the bulk of the game's content lies, but most of the time it's the same old, same old.

We must be near the desert. Look at all of this sand!

A little ways to the left and we finally find something worth mentioning.

This is a Life Crystal. I don't use it straight away for some dumb reason, but it increases our maximum health by 20 points. So in order to cap out, we need 15 life crystals. (15*20 = 300 + 100 base = 400 maximum health)

In the super early game, we don't want to use too many. Bad things start happening once you have 200+ health. So we want to be ready before we go over 200.

I also elect to retreat back to the right and go down instead. It does pay off, though.

Yet another underground cabin! :toot:

Gotta find the way in. I would mine out the top, but I don't like creating entrances for enemies. Underground cabins, I feel, are supposed to be a place for the player to catch their breath for a moment.

So we're going around the long way.

Nearly there...

Tah-dah!

This was someone's home away from home. A bookcase and a piano are pretty luxurious for an abandoned cabin under the ground. Anyway, let's check out the chest.

A Band of Regeneration is a pretty useful find. The potion is a Night Owl Potion. The game claims it increases night vision, but what it really does is just make torches put out light farther for a while.

Down under the house, we find some rubies in the wall.

There's also a small chamber with a naturally-occurring backwall behind the rubies.

Some iron, lots of copper, and yet another Life Crystal? Sounds great to me!

There's even some more topaz down at the bottom of the small chamber.

At this point I pulled out the world map for some reason. I'm glad that I did, though.

You can dimly see that there's something at the bottom of the giant pool of water nearby.

Let's go investigate!

Water chests almost always have good stuff inside.

Because the bottom is so thin, we can easily drain the water into the tunnel below. Let's do that first, that way we don't have to worry about drowning after looting the chest.

Now to just wait.

You can't see it, but trust me when I say that this tunnel we're in now connects directly to the one we saw earlier, near the desert. You remember where I turned back? Yeah, it connects to there. So we've gone in a gigantic circle. There's also a metric fuckton of copper in this tunnel.

See? Told you so. That upper torch is where the first Life Crystal was sitting.

I got tired of waiting.

Oh hey, another Life Crystal. That makes three!

While waiting for the interminably slow water to drain, we meet a new enemy. This is the cave bat, and it is the annoyance of every person who has been underground in Terraria for longer than 10 minutes. They have almost no health, and they spawn way too frequently. Also unless you're keeping an eye out, the first time you'll probably realize one is nearby is when it starts flying into you, because of course they're also aggressive.

Basically gently caress cave bats. Little bastards.

That's the last of the water draining down. Time to go collect our prize!

God DAMMIT. We got trolled... twice! To start off, the pink potion is a regeneration potion. You can probably guess what it does.

The first item is a breathing reed. It's like those things you see ninjas use in cartoons. As long as the top of the reed is sticking out of the water and into open air, you can breathe. It has its uses, but it's probably the worst possible item to get out of a water chest.

The second troll is the angel statue. Those things are a long-standing joke of the game. I'll let the wiki handle this one:

Terraria Wiki posted:

Before the 1.1 update, the Angel Statue could be neither placed nor sold, and had no apparent use in the game. It was (and still is, even after the update) the subject of a running in-game joke, whereby NPCs will make reference to its useless nature. It was speculated to be a replacement for developer testing items, to prevent the overpowered test items from being hacked in. It could also simply be an in-joke among the game's developers.

The angel statue is also the game's failsafe item. If, for whatever reason, the game can't process what item something is supposed to be - or if an item becomes corrupted data for some reason - the game will turn it into an angel statue instead. So you never really know if the game deliberately placed the angel statue, or if something messed up during worldgen.

That's enough spelunking for the moment. Our inventory is pretty full, so let's go back and drop off all the crap we picked up. Maybe we'll have enough for some new toys.

It was around this point of returning from the underground that I started to distantly hear the sound of a train. That means that the other underground annoyance has finally shown up.

He takes a moment to show up, but there he is. This is the giant worm.

They don't have much health, but they always show up at the most inopportune moments.

For some reason, I decide the fastest way out is through this pillar of sand and dirt. Though this does give me a chance to discuss digging out sand.

You see, sand is one of a few types of blocks in the game that has physics enabled. So if you want to mine through some, you have to mine out the entire column, as the bottom block will instantly be replaced by the block that was on top of it. If the sand falls on top of you, or you get caught inside of the column as it falls, it'll hurt quite a bit.

Back on the surface at last!

It was about here that I remembered that we have a magic mirror.

I don't know exactly why I decided to go fighting enemies on the surface, but here's what it looks like when you use the Life Crystals.

Finally, back at home. We have a few things to do before this update comes to a close. First off is talking to the Dye Trader...

Hitting the Strange Plants button will turn in 1 strange plant in exchange for some randomly chosen dyes.

In this case, we got some Purple Ooze Dye.

The water chest we got earlier is a perfect place to store a bunch of bottles of dye.

Like other NPC merchants, his inventory will expand as we do stuff in the game. But by default, the Dye Trader sells...

Silver Dye - 1 Gold coin
Brown Dye - 1 Gold coin
Dye Vat - 5 Gold coins - (Creates dyes from the various dye items I've been pointing out)

I forgot to show what dyes do, so that will have to come later. The quick explanation is that you can equip them in one of the slots next to your armor or accessories to change the color of that item.

For the most part, Strange Plant dyes are ugly as sin.

Moving on, Garrett gets the bookcase we found earlier. Maybe he can make good use of it.

For no particular reason, I think Dolgen would appreciate the piano. If nothing else, it makes his bedroom look less empty.

We... we won't mention some of the other shenanigans I got up to. Suffice it to say that the weapons we found underground aren't quite adequate enough to help us survive against the night. We'll have to fix that.

Anyway, that's enough for now.

NEXT TIME: You guys are really gonna hate me.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 8, 2016

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Hey, sometimes you want your armor to be absolutely hideous for some reason. I mean, trolls would be ALL OVER IT, for one.

Anyway, what's that Purple Ooze Dye look like? Good? Bad? Abomination against all existence?

Also, can you pick up gravestones? And if so, do they have any practical use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Hey, sometimes you want your armor to be absolutely hideous for some reason. I mean, trolls would be ALL OVER IT, for one.

Anyway, what's that Purple Ooze Dye look like? Good? Bad? Abomination against all existence?

Also, can you pick up gravestones? And if so, do they have any practical use?

This is looking a bit forward in the LP, but I just booted the game up to capture what some dyes look like. As of this morning, I have four types of Strange Plant dye, so here's some images.

This is Sam in regular armor. It's kind of advanced, but don't pay that any mind.

This is Purple Ooze Dye. It's too subtle for a gif, but the dye moves around a bit like ooze.

This is Glowing Mushroom Dye. It has the same shimmering moving effect like the purple ooze.

This is Reflective Gold Dye. True to its name, it reflects nearby light sources.

This is Shadow Dye. The void where no light exists is Sam.

So yeah, the Strange Plant dyes are for the most part butt ugly.

As far as gravestones go, you can indeed mine them and pick them up. They don't really have a purpose, but if you wanted to create a mausoleum or graveyard, I guess you could do that.

• Locked thread