Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

Problem description: I had a custom gaming laptop that came preconfigured with a RAID setup. I started using the laptop less and less and so decided to give it to my sister for her to use. I formatted the laptop and set it all up for her and it was working great. However, a few weeks later, my sister is telling me it no longer starts up. I figured I'd goofed something up by formatting without configuring the RAID settings properly. I just booted it up now and it was telling me there was an error with one of the hard-drives.

Attempted fixes: I figured I'd just remove the RAID setup and turn them back into normal hard drives. That didn't fix the problem.

Recent changes: The only thing I can think of that caused this issue was me formatting it. The laptop was working perfectly beforehand. A few weeks after this fact, my sister called me up and said it was broken.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista, 64-bit.

System specs: Custom-built laptop by Sager. I got it built almost 4 years ago, I have no idea what the specs are anymore.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google stated it may be the hard drive has become unseated and I should attempt to reseat it. I figured I'd come here for a second opinion to save me from opening the laptop up, reseating the hard drive and maybe causing more harm than good (I've never worked with laptops before).

I've included a picture of the error it's giving me upon booting the laptop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like one of the harddrives failed, so you'd remove the failed harddrive and reinstall Windows to the non-failed one.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, my guess would be it's a RAID0, so any drive failure blows the whole RAID up, so you'll need to pull the failed drive and reinstall windows.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is it relatively easy removing a laptop hard drive?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes, usually there's a panel you unscrew, you then remove four screws holding the drive sled in place, and it slides back a fraction of an inch to disconnect from the connector, then you can pull it out of the bay. You should be able to get the manual by Googling the model number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thank you everyone so much for your help. I'll keep you posted. Will most likely remove the hard drive tomorrow.

• Locked thread