Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

they're super cool and important and good and if you aren't familliar with bill hicks or his work then it's already too late for you
but you should watch them anyway.

let's have thread where we gush about how great he is :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
i hate everyone. i like cigarettes and liquor. im bill hicks. look at me im yelling. im doing comedy.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

we live in a hell of our own design, but don't talk about it. I've found it easier to altogether stop dreaming of a world less cold because im an adult

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
People sure are dumb! Society man...Politics. Politicians don't care!

These have been jokes by the one and only bill hicks.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
let me tell you about bill hicks have you heard of this guy he freaking rocks

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Sucks that he died. Not because I miss him or anything, so I guess I should probably say it sucks for him that he died. :shrug:

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

i thought i was too cool for bill hicks for a while
then i realized thats stupid and sometimes its still refreshing to listen to a guy yelling bluntly about obvious but still infuriating stuff

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
watch em both and jack the hell off about it

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
He was likable enough. I liked George Carlin more, and had tickets to see him at the Lincoln theater in '08, but didn't make it back to town in time to watch. He had to go and kick the bucket a few months later so I had my window to see him and I blew it.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Jellidelic posted:

i thought i was too cool

This is where you went wrong, for future reference.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get why people like Bill Hicks so much, or even at all really

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i agree with norm macdonald about bill hicks. i also agree with all the people who say that alex jones is bill hicks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

proof of concept posted:

I don't get why people like Bill Hicks so much, or even at all really
Before the internet society had formal jesters to point out that the emperor had no clothes. Now the internet has made everyone a jester and a fool of their own design.

And Dennis Leary will steal them both for his goblin cave.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Hell Yeah posted:

i agree with norm macdonald about bill hicks. i also agree with all the people who say that alex jones is bill hicks.

what do norm macdonald say about hicks

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Bill Hicks sucks. He wasn't the cool kind of pessimistic guy, he was just an rear end in a top hat. His specials are edited really loving weird, interspliced with footage of himself making faces or trying to act cool. Seems like an egotistical douche-bag that thought he was better than everyone.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I carry all my favorite bill hicks bits on a stack of index cards so when I want to win an argument or impress a girl i can just whip them out whoops I dropped them down a sewer grate

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

bill hicks had moments of being funny and insightful, but he also had moments where he was just an annoying loud rear end in a top hat (we get it, you like to smoke a lot). take the good with the bad

i'm partial to his talk about marketing and advertising. and his bit about women loving mass murderers like Manson and Ted Bundy is still true, as much as i hate to admit it. it's exactly what i thought of when i heard about how the younger boston bomber got 80+ selfies from women when he was being held in a federal penitentiary before his trial

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 30, 2016

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bill Hicks owns and I won't hear anyone who disagrees

Kuato posted:

Sucks that he died. Not because I miss him or anything, so I guess I should probably say it sucks for him that he died. :shrug:

Sucks that YOU are still here

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Bill Hicks owns and I won't hear anyone who disagrees

Sucks that YOU are still here

You're doing a piss poor job of being the President of my fan club. I'd demote you or quit paying you, but its a volunteer position so my hands are kind of tied.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just don't get any of the "that is what I am thinking too!" school of comedy

Like you can relate to it easily when you are young and feel you are the only one who gets it, but it's k missing something.

Mainly jokes.

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

Snooze Cruise posted:

I just don't get any of the "that is what I am thinking too!" school of comedy

Like you can relate to it easily when you are young and feel you are the only one who gets it, but it's k missing something.

Mainly jokes.

what

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bill Hicks joke has no knock knock. Just man yelling.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

a bone to pick posted:

Seems like an egotistical douche-bag that thought he was better than everyone.

Don't sign your posts, man!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

what do norm macdonald say about hicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtAkLGLviGk#t=60m27s

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lmao now that has jokes

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hadn't watched Bill Hicks for quite a few years but I watched him on Netflix a few weeks ago and yeah he's just as funny as I remember. I think most of the people who really hate him just take him too seriously. Just because you disagree with an entertainer's personal philosophy doesn't mean that you can't enjoy their entertainment and I think Hicks intentionally took most of his stuff to such absurd limits so that the audience would find it funny whether they're thinking "yeah this guy knows what's going on" or "this rear end in a top hat's full of poo poo." Some of his routines drag on more then they should and some of his stuff ends up being kinda annoying but those are complaints you can level against every comedian that's ever lived. If you sit through a Bill Hicks show and aren't able to laugh enough that watching was worth it then you're probably kind of a wierdo and should loosen up.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gobblecoque posted:

Some of his routines drag on more then they should and some of his stuff ends up being kinda annoying but those are complaints you can level against every comedian that's ever lived. If you sit through a Bill Hicks show and aren't able to laugh enough that watching was worth it then you're probably kind of a wierdo and should loosen up.

you admit he has flaws yet its still the fault of person who don't like comic man

hmm

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bill Hicks good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm still not exactly sure what norm said about bill hicks. was it some subtle remark about how he thinks he's so important that he got pretend assassinated at the end? that's all i got

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

if you dont understand it try watching it from the beginning.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
hes so cool

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Hey guys didya know society sucks the big one?

I'm a comic genius now.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spudsbuckley posted:

Hey guys didya know society sucks the big one?

I'm a comic genius now.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Gilbert Gottfried laughing hysterically at the very idea of Bill Hicks getting assassinated for his dumbass "edgy" opinions is by a large margin the funniest thing that Bill Hicks has ever been involved in, and Hicks was loving dead for years and had nothing at all to do with that bit as it was recorded whatsoever

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
this man smokes on stage. what social 'moray' wont he break? beats me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the worst thing about bill hicks isn't so much bill hicks but the fact he makes people go on and on about how a comedian's purpose is to hold a mirror to society or to keep pushing the edge.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snooze Cruise posted:

the worst thing about bill hicks isn't so much bill hicks but the fact he makes people go on and on about how a comedian's purpose is to hold a mirror to society or to keep pushing the edge.

i hated him then i watched some and hes funny enough, but never when hes being a social critic. my favorite comic, as u might have guessed,is cosby

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i cant keep up anymore is it edgy to like or to hate bill hicks these days

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

looks like those clowns in congress are at it again

what a bunch of clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007