Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Xenomrph posted:

I'm afraid to ask what happens, especially since i have two cats :ohdear:

The pussycat gets crucified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

precision posted:

Not Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon?

No, but I found it! I remembered that Kirsten Dunst has a weird-rear end camo in it, the movie is called Random Acts of Violence http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1954330/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_33 . Not great but I really enjoyed the ending. It was on Netflix a while ago.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

precision posted:

Not Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon?

Speaking of fake documentaries, The Fourth Kind was quite a bit better than it probably should have been. Especially that one scene. You know the one. poo poo that was creepy.

I was meaning to bring up The Fourth Kind because I had really mixed feelings on it. I felt the reenactments with big-name actors massively undermined the movie, especially when the movie is showing us "real" footage of the crazy poo poo right alongside the reenactments. Like, the "real" footage is inherently creepier, what purpose did the reenactments even serve? Was it a marketing thing, so Milla Jovovich fans would buy tickets sight-unseen? It was such a baffling creative decision.
Even stuff like Unsolved Mysteries or all those "alien abduction" documentaries that were all the rage in the 90s had the forethought to not cast recognizable actors in the reenactments, because even when you're outright told it's a reenactment, it's easier to tell yourself it's real when it's just some no-name schlub you don't recognize.

Books On Tape posted:

The pussycat gets crucified
I, uh, yeah I think I'll skip that one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Popelmon posted:

That movie really surprised me. I didn't want to watch it because it heard about all the animal cruelty but I'm really glad I tracked down a copy now. Very unpleasant to watch but the narrative structure was really interesting and I definitely didn't expect it to turn into FF after half the movies was over. Also: That soundtrack is loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT4UIwaZtME

Agreed, I love the music from that movie. They also use it in the opening title sequence for Treevenge.

One of the very first movies I worked on out of college was this little indie feature out of Chicago called Street Thief. It's completely scripted, and was shot fake-documentary style. It was on Netflix and Amazon for a while I believe, if you get the chance, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEC0NmiTuSY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nw1tJn2r94

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
All about Lily Chou-Chou although not entirely found footage, features a pretty lengthy second act composed entirely of vacation footage filmed by the characters on cheap digital cameras. As I recall it feels pretty convincingly as if it was shot by a bunch of middle schoolers passing around a camera (in a good way), with no "why are they still filming this" moments, while also being compelling and adding a lot to the overall arc of the film.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Didn't see it brought up yet, but does anyone remember that found footage horror (?) movie set in the war in Afghanistan? I remember I really wanted to like it but it ended up being super anticlimactic and aliens

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zenguitarman posted:

Didn't see it brought up yet, but does anyone remember that found footage horror (?) movie set in the war in Afghanistan? I remember I really wanted to like it but it ended up being super anticlimactic and aliens

Are you thinking of Monsters: Dark Continent? I've watched that but can't even remember if it was good or not.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

Are you thinking of Monsters: Dark Continent? I've watched that but can't even remember if it was good or not.

Dark Continent was very good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I was meaning to bring up The Fourth Kind because I had really mixed feelings on it. I felt the reenactments with big-name actors massively undermined the movie, especially when the movie is showing us "real" footage of the crazy poo poo right alongside the reenactments. Like, the "real" footage is inherently creepier, what purpose did the reenactments even serve? Was it a marketing thing, so Milla Jovovich fans would buy tickets sight-unseen? It was such a baffling creative decision.
Even stuff like Unsolved Mysteries or all those "alien abduction" documentaries that were all the rage in the 90s had the forethought to not cast recognizable actors in the reenactments, because even when you're outright told it's a reenactment, it's easier to tell yourself it's real when it's just some no-name schlub you don't recognize.

I get what they were going for. The segments with the recognizable actors act as a contrast to the "real" footage, which just makes those parts seem even more realistic and therefore scarier. The movie wants you to feel like the reenactments are very artificial compared to the found footage portion because the whole movie depends on like three or four really intense moments that could easily fall flat if they aren't set up the properly.

Whether or not it works is your opinion of course, I personally think the movie is ok but nothing special.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really, really wish I could find that one post about The Fourth Kind and psychology.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

zenguitarman posted:

That's The Objective, which is not found footage.

The actual Afghanistan-set found footage movie is September Tapes, which is really good and otherwise completely unrelated

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's The Objective, which is not found footage.

Ah, directed by the guy that did Blair Witch, that's where I got mixed up!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I get what they were going for. The segments with the recognizable actors act as a contrast to the "real" footage, which just makes those parts seem even more realistic and therefore scarier. The movie wants you to feel like the reenactments are very artificial compared to the found footage portion because the whole movie depends on like three or four really intense moments that could easily fall flat if they aren't set up the properly.

Whether or not it works is your opinion of course, I personally think the movie is ok but nothing special.

I guess that reasoning kind of makes sense, but it still really didn't work for me. Every time it cut away from the "real" footage to show me the inferior reenactment, all I felt was frustration. Like if the movie had done a big-effects-budget send-up of the old 90s "abduction" documentaries that used to scare me silly as a kid, I think that could have been really effective. To be honest that's the sort of vibe I was getting from the movie as I watched it, and I was very onboard with that, but showing two versions of the same footage felt weird.

K. Waste posted:

Dark Continent was very good.

I really liked the first Monsters movie, and the trailer for Dark Continent got my attention, but after abysmal reviews started pouring in I opted to steer clear. Maybe I should give it a shot? I mean I really liked Apollo 18, and that's got a sweet 16% on RT or something like that. :suicide:
poo poo, I think Apollo 18 has the distinction of being the lowest-rated movie on RT that I really enjoyed despite the reviews. :v:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Xenomrph posted:

I really liked the first Monsters movie, and the trailer for Dark Continent got my attention, but after abysmal reviews started pouring in I opted to steer clear. Maybe I should give it a shot? I mean I really liked Apollo 18, and that's got a sweet 16% on RT or something like that. :suicide:
poo poo, I think Apollo 18 has the distinction of being the lowest-rated movie on RT that I really enjoyed despite the reviews. :v:

Yeah, no, Dark Continent is really good. You'll notice a very common trend with bad reviews of the movie basically coming down to the platitude that it's "over-earnest," i.e., that, as a trashy Syfy channel original movie, it 'takes itself too seriously' as a meditation on war and imperialism.

The "critical consensus" doesn't know what the gently caress it's talking about. Even if the response were good, it would always opt in favor of the status quo. Dark Continent is completely sincere that it should be enjoyed both as a post-Spielbergian fantasy film, and an abstract, allegorical, and oppositional art film like something Lars von Trier would make. It's the same reason critics maligned Chappie, while similarly holding up "the original" (Monsters/District 9) as a 'better-than' example, but based purely on its superficial reading as a geopolitical and low budget special effects novelty.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I feel like the Sci-Fi channel had some really dope promos in the late 90s/early 2000s that were done in a FF style. There was one that was like a child's birthday party taking place in a backyard that gets attacked by bees or something. Idk, I might be inadvertently splicing memories together cause I can't find it on YouTube.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I feel like the Sci-Fi channel had some really dope promos in the late 90s/early 2000s that were done in a FF style. There was one that was like a child's birthday party taking place in a backyard that gets attacked by bees or something. Idk, I might be inadvertently splicing memories together cause I can't find it on YouTube.

Sci-Fi did a promo for 'Pitch Black' prior to the movie's release, with investigators trying to find out what happened to the ship and its passengers (namely, Riddick). It was pretty neat, and has some pretty decent production values for what amounts to a 45 minute ad for a movie that wasn't out yet. It's not strictly found footage, but it adopts some of its conventions from time to time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure every good found footage movie other than like, the first REC maybe, question mark?, all have like 10-20% on RT because critics haaaaaaaate FF movies.

e: or maybe I have it backwards, for reference I just looked up The Last Exorcism and it's at 74%, but has a 32% audience rating

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So, this will probably required a wall of black text, but I'm interested in found footage movies that DON'T end with either A) everyone dead or B) a spooky face leaping at the camera. I have seen Lake Mungo and As Above So Below. I don't know if more exist.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The answer to every FF request is Grave Encounters 2.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

weekly font posted:

So, this will probably required a wall of black text, but I'm interested in found footage movies that DON'T end with either A) everyone dead or B) a spooky face leaping at the camera. I have seen Lake Mungo and As Above So Below. I don't know if more exist.

Non-horror FF's are good for this. Try End of Watch, Chronicle, and The Midnight Swim

If you're looking for those endings specifically within horror, there's The Taking of Deborah Logan, The Visit, The Tunnel, and The Sacrament. The last two kinda suck though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

weekly font posted:

Off the top of my head (aside from those already mentioned)
Europa Report (everyone dies, but it serves a purpose and really isn't horror)
VHS 2
Afflicted (disclaimer: there's a mid-credits jump scare)
Grave Encounters 2
Troll Hunter
The Bay

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's also The Last Broadcast that did the found footage thing right before the Blair Witch but like no one ever heard about it. Its alright.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I used to watch The Last Broadcast constantly on IFC in the late 90s so I have a soft spot for it.

I like Area 407, a found footage dinosaur film. I am surely alone in this, but I inexplicably really enjoyed it. It's got a nice, chummy vibe to it and has a few decent tense moments for it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought Into The Storm was pretty awesome.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

A lot of people didn't like it, but I thought Into The Storm was pretty awesome.

Into the Storm ruled.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah it ruled! I wrote a whole effortpost about it for GenChat after seeing it, I should try and track that down...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that movie. Thanks for the reminder! :cheers:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
It good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Glamorama26 posted:

I used to watch The Last Broadcast constantly on IFC in the late 90s so I have a soft spot for it.

I like Area 407, a found footage dinosaur film. I am surely alone in this, but I inexplicably really enjoyed it. It's got a nice, chummy vibe to it and has a few decent tense moments for it.

I love Area 407. Have not seen the sequel, though.

The found footage heaven sequence owned.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Thanks for the recommendation of Cannibal Holocaust . I wasn't expecting much other than shock value but the film was pretty good! Could use a lot less animal violence though

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The found footage heaven sequence owned.

So then it would be a good double feature with Occult?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

weekly font posted:

So then it would be a good double feature with Occult?

I'd pair it w/ AB/SB as an extension of the familial themes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

For non-horror Snow on da Bluff was pretty solid.

I'm also very fond of the forbidden files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ARXsQI0gY

Basically a bunch of odd b&w shorts with some voice-over narration describing usually some supposed paranormal happenings. One thing I think helps is the format-youtube helps recapture the feeling that it's "real".

The Frankenstein Theory is similar to the Troll Hunter, if that's your thing (probably not as good, but close). It's also one of the Frankenstein movies that actually uses a (near) Arctic setting which is in the original Shelley story.

To Jennifer is another ff movie I randomly saw on Amazon Prime. It's fairly predictable, but I think it does a good job at capturing the mindset of stalkers.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
During hurricane Sandy there was a couple that was live streaming their house getting flooded and a bunch of us were watching it in gbs. I kind of edited it down into a found footage movie. Kind of interesting to see what they actually get right in these movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp8AfJW-mY

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 7, 2016

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Harminoff posted:

During hurricane Sandy there was a couple that was live streaming their house getting flooded and a bunch of us were watching it in gbs. I kind of edited it down into a found footage movie. Kind of interesting to see what they actually get right in these movies.

https://youtu.be/Tcp8AfJW-mY

This sounds great I can't wait to check it out later.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was Area 51 mentioned? It's made by the paranormal activity producers to be as cheap as it could and to grab as much money as it can. Enjoy at your own risk.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was almost great, even though I liked it. People really need to invest in monsters yo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harminoff posted:

https://youtu.be/Tcp8AfJW-mY

Yo, this is dope.

You should watch the entirely nonfiction FF classic:

The Sinking Of The Concordia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtWxnRBVvg

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yo, this is dope.

I'm extremely into its pervasive sense of inevitability, all the poo poo where they're sorta realizing that they needed to have a plan in place like 30 minutes ago but still aren't really doing anything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I'm extremely into its pervasive sense of inevitability, all the poo poo where they're sorta realizing that they needed to have a plan in place like 30 minutes ago but still aren't really doing anything about it

I just love that there are so many real world examples that refute "why don't they just stop filming?"

• Locked thread