Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

funny Star Wars parody posted:

BUT STEVE JOBS WAS LITERALLY HITLER

Literally a peice of poo poo that believed woo would heal his cancer until it was too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

This will spawn productive discussion.

That's what this thread is for :smugdon:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm watching stupid people try to figure out a coin operated parking meter.

Fake edit: they just asked me for help

Double fake edit: "my card won't fit"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Literally a peice of poo poo that believed woo would heal his cancer until it was too late

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Or "ALL phones are loving poo poo, deal with it"

I cant stand the stupidity of iOS, Android has it's own complete stupidities and the Samsung S5 I have is falling the gently caress apart - which is odd as the other Samsungs have been bulletproof. iPhones break if you look at them funny, who the gently caress wants a Windows phone and come on, the best mobiles were built by Nokia before they got eaten by Microsoft

I also cannot stand iOS. After my LG G4 committed firmware suicide, I bought an older Galaxy Note 3 on Amazon for $100.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Stop loving about if you hate iOS and buy a Nexus phone.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iOS is the only non POS mobile operating system hth

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

I have some grave news for you wrt your operating system

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't like Mac products, but some people do, and that's ok.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iOS has been used for Point Of Sale though? :confused:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I don't like Mac products, but some people do, and that's ok.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Your Operating System is a Piece of poo poo. And I mean that literally. It's a literal flaming turdball of crap

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Or "ALL phones are loving poo poo, deal with it"

I cant stand the stupidity of iOS, Android has it's own complete stupidities and the Samsung S5 I have is falling the gently caress apart - which is odd as the other Samsungs have been bulletproof. iPhones break if you look at them funny, who the gently caress wants a Windows phone and come on, the best mobiles were built by Nokia before they got eaten by Microsoft

That's particularly odd as the S5 I have is a tank, and I drop it like daily.

I will say the old Motorola Droid I had that was heavy and metal was goddamn bomproof. I think I had it for like 4 years. Basically all the paint came off from all the drops and it kept on ticking, though it was a but slow at the end. One with a slid-out keyboard too, which you'd think would cause ore mechanical issues, but no. The only device I can compare it too is my old Thinkpad (IBM badged) T42, which was clearly overbuild and gave zero fucks about weight.

edit: iPhone break if you look at the wrong. You phone shouldn't need a loving case that doubles the width and the weight so it won't break (and hide whatever aesthetic advantage the iphone has).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BraveUlysses posted:

I finally gave up on android, it's not worth the hassle
:shrug:
My $199 circa 2013 moto g is still rocking. Works good as new, even battery life.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 2, 2016

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
IOS sucks Android sucks but Bluetooth headphones are p cool.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

IOS sucks Android sucks but Bluetooth headphones are p cool.

You hosed it up right there at the end, you loving muppet

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Who's gonna be the first one to post about still having a flip phone?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not a flip but close
My wife still uses a lovely old blackberry for work. As in 7+ years old and can't even text photos.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I had a Blackberry for a time and despite how popular they were when they came out it was the worst goddamn phone I've owned.

The emergency call feature on the lock screen meant I made month accidental 911 calls because it jostled around in my pocket. There was probably an option to chance the options on screen but I'm stupid and lazy.

The physical keyboard was alright though. I hate typing on screens.

Let's talk about something less contentious: I went and shot guns today. It was fun and cool.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm still rocking an LG Enact with a real keyboard. Kinda old and slow but whatever they're $70 on amazon/ebay and I am good at smashing phones so I'd rather smash something cheap. Just wish I'd backed up my richnote data one last time before managing to put the thing into a coma forever last weekend, my last backup was 4 months old. :sigh:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
My nexus 5's battery poo poo the bed this year and with the screen all cracked to hell I gave in and I bought some $150 chinese phone that is absolutely abysmal but I ended up buying a different phone that was actually halfway decent and just use the chinese phone if I do any activity that might involve it getting a shitload of break cleaner on it or me whipping it into the van from five feet away because I'm lazy.

On a different note, I think I might like rotary engines now, mine is just so smooth and free revving. Send help.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I'm house, car, and tortoise sitting for my parents as they are in europe.
Some loving crackheads broke into my mom's car and literially stole nothing as far as I can tell (even the cheap harbor freight portable air compressor).

Like even the change and charging cords are there. loving crackheads.

Plus its gonna rain tommorow and no glass places seem to be open.

Edit: the garage is blocked by a broken 240z, so I can't even do that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

nm posted:

So I'm house, car, and tortoise sitting for my parents as they are in europe.
Some loving crackheads broke into my mom's car and literially stole nothing as far as I can tell (even the cheap harbor freight portable air compressor).

Like even the change and charging cords are there. loving crackheads.

Plus its gonna rain tommorow and no glass places seem to be open.

Edit: the garage is blocked by a broken 240z, so I can't even do that.

Goondolences for your loss etc. but can you tell me more about that 240z :allears:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Goondolences for your loss etc. but can you tell me more about that 240z :allears:

It is orange, has an l28 with triple webers, the worst wheels ever (po problems), and my little brother broked the motor. Sounded really loving mean before that.
Body is pretty good except for a dented roof (po also stored poo poo on it) and almost perfect orginal paint except for one part that must have been under a window, because it faded.

It is a 73, so lovely bumpers. :(

I have some pics from when it ran somewhere. It hasn't run for a while though.

Edit:

Edit2:
gently caress these wheels

nm fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 2, 2016

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

slidebite posted:

My $199 circa 2013 moto g is still rocking. Works good as new, even battery life.

I have the same phone from the same year, works perfectly, probably going to keep it for another 3 years. No problems learning to use Android either, even as my first true smartphone OS.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

nm posted:

240z stuff.

Punch your brother in the baby-maker, fix the motor and claim it for yourself. That is clearly the only path forward.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
there's a certain theme to my Trademe Watchlist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Looking at kayaks on craigslist, and realizing that if I want to actually do whitewater, I need to drop about 50 lbs. Not many good river kayaks for 250lb fatties.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

That's particularly odd as the S5 I have is a tank, and I drop it like daily.

I just dont get it either - no one else I know has a S5 that's self destructed like mine. Every other Samsung device I've had or maintain has been perfectly fine. I just think mine's just a one off POS

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there any decent option for a garage workbench that doesn't involve 1) making it wholesale out of lumber or 2) spending hundreds of dollars for a ready-made one? Craigslist is coming up with pure crap right now.

This one
is stupidly easy to build, cheap, and strong.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife has a S5 that survived being dropped from the window of a car moving at 50 MPH, she was stupidly attempting to take a picture while holding the phone slightly out the window (as a passenger.) Chrome trim around the screen got a little chewed up but after collecting the phone, battery, back and the case (spread out over 50') and putting it back together it still works, and with the case back on there's zero visible damage.

I still have the Oneplus One I bought in early 2015, still runs great, can go 48 hours between charges assuming I'm not buried in it and is rock solid stable running CM13 nightlies. Seems to me half of the problem with Android phones is the lovely stock ROMs. I've had none of the usual complaints about Android running some form or another of an AOSP ROM. Oh, and charger discipline - consistently keep your battery above 20% and it will last forever.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Having a baby is a lot like I imagined owning an Esprit - expensive, nice to look at, leaks fluids everywhere and disappointing exhaust note

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's a good summary have you been able to get any sleep?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

They call it the "terrible twos" for some reason, as if the awful new attitude they develop isn't completely overshadowed by the fact that they finally sleep soundly every night.

How quickly some forget.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Nope

blk fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 2, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
lots of phone chat but no mention of Sonys Xperia range of smartphones which are the best smartphones btw

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like my smartphone, it's a portable super computer that lets me take photos and listen to music and buy poo poo I don't need on the internet whilst looking at cat pictures.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I lost my smartphone and went back to a Nokia brick phone which only let me make calls and text (painfully slowly) and it was amazing to be not-constantly-connected but then I had to get a new smartphone and boo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

lots of phone chat but no mention of Sonys Xperia range of smartphones which are the best smartphones btw

Best smartphone isnt exactly a high bar at all.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Best smartphone isnt exactly a high bar at all.

Sony makes the best smartphones also the ps4 is the best gameing device for the money and also their tellys are better than sarnsung really makes you think 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Is there any decent option for a garage workbench that doesn't involve 1) making it wholesale out of lumber or 2) spending hundreds of dollars for a ready-made one? Craigslist is coming up with pure crap right now.
Can't remember if you're an international goon but if you're not check out Harbor Frieght. They have a couple fairly decent work benches that are usually on sale and seem to hold up well from what I've seen.

slidebite posted:

I loved my original moto g, the size was perfect. I eventually got the newer version because the original slowed down, looking back I should have just done a factory reset and ran it for another couple years. Used it as a backup and loaner phone for a while until a friend smashed the screen.

slidebite posted:

Not a flip but close
My wife still uses a lovely old blackberry for work. As in 7+ years old and can't even text photos.
Dad was using his old work blackberry until last fall when they made him get rid of it. It wasn't worth the expense of running a blackberry server for the three people still using them. He loved that stupid thing but learned and is liking the iphone they set him up with now.

1500quidporsche posted:

On a different note, I think I might like rotary engines now, mine is just so smooth and free revving. Send help.
Rotary was the other option I looked at for the track car. Think if I was closer to Spyder or another rotary guru I would have been more tempted.

• Locked thread