Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

glynnenstein posted:

That was my intent, yeah.

edit:

Generation Internet

I've missed it if it was mentioned somewhere. Are there going to be more than one turn run on the first set of orders?

Good point, I think I mentioned it somewhere but it might have been in the open thread.

First turn will be five minutes long or until an engagement with the enemy, plan accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Also, for completely clarity, here is your final OOB. The only changes will be whenever your spreadsheet is completely filled out so I can name the rest of your commanders.

Reinforcements:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Coy and Platoon leaders, I have created a set of icons for all of our units in the Roll20 and I highly recommend that you guys use them to plan out the order of the advance and keep track of who is where. This helps me, it helps you and it helps me help you.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
HQ's are mounted in the first BTR, right? There was some quick battle I was playing where the vehicles didn't have any extra room and so HQ had to loving walk.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HQ's are mounted in the first BTR, right? There was some quick battle I was playing where the vehicles didn't have any extra room and so HQ had to loving walk.

Yes, that's the case in the intro video.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

They start in the same BTR as first squad, I'm pretty sure they fit.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Phi, before I do orders, Can I request a MG team from the weapons company is attached? There should be enough room in my second or third APC for it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wait, I thought we were getting TG2, not TG3?

Anyways, here's what I have to add to the plan.

--Engineers to be held in reserve in Pallet Town

--one mortar battery will begin Smoke mission, light, medium duration, line, 400m ish? perpendicular to Route 23 (grey line)

--MSTA M2 Battery 1 to bombard Route 23, all guns, harass, medium duration, lineAREA (tbh, the line is good as a "diameter" for the area--an area bombardment using that line as a reference for end to end points is good), immediate (red line)

--MSTA M2 Battery 2 to bombard circular area west of Indigo Plateau, all guns, harass, medium duration, area, immediate (red circle)

--MSTA M2 Battery 1 to fire smoke according to this line: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792674&pagenumber=7#post465043386

--AGS-17s, and Igla HQ and 2 Iglas, are hereby chopped to 2nd Company to deploy as they see fit

--AT-14s and 2 Iglas are hereby chopped to 3rd Company to deploy as they see fit

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 6, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Professor_Curly made an executive decision in Roll20 to take the BMP-2M/T-72B3 force.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Davin, I'm pretty sure Curly's intent is to use the 152s for the highway missions.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

:siren: 1st Company Platoon Commanders :siren:

In light of the 5 turns on the first orders, I want to show my intent so you can make sense of it if you outstrip the initial commands.

3rd Platoon will take up a temporary position on the heights on Victory Road to provide security while other units make progress through the area. My expectation is that once other units progress forward you will move off that position and turn over highway security to 2nd Company elements.

2nd Platoon will proceed forward into the hilly, wooded terrain to the south keeping along the western track.

1st Platoon will proceed forward into the hilly, wooded terrain to the south keeping along the eastern track. By the time you are in position I expect battalion recon platoon will be moving forward in this area; give them room to scout and then follow up.

Armor will hold along the trees there in as much concealment until they can follow up the infantry.

Company fire support assets will move forward in followup looking to gain a position as assigned.

The pace of our advance will largely be dictated by terrain and scouting progress. Once we are in the wooded area, dismounting troops may be advisable, but use your judgement.

Further orders will follow as the situation develops.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

Fray posted:

Davin, I'm pretty sure Curly's intent is to use the 152s for the highway missions.

Yeah, that's the MSTA missions. I just added the mortar smoke running perpendicular to try to isolate any units they send towards Victory Road.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya, the plan is to use the 152's on their roads to provide a credible threat to mechanized forces to try and slow them down or disable vehicles on their best routes of advance, or preferably deny their use entirely. There should be 90 rounds/gun, so I'm thinking using 1/3 of that spread out over ~10-15 minutes.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Ya, the plan is to use the 152's on their roads to provide a credible threat to mechanized forces to try and slow them down or disable vehicles on their best routes of advance, or preferably deny their use entirely. There should be 90 rounds/gun, so I'm thinking using 1/3 of that spread out over ~10-15 minutes.

So is that "light intensity/medium duration" or "harass intensity/long duration"?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

quote:

Mission - responsible for establishing initial Rate of Fire (ROF) and sustained ROF:
Emergency - no spotting rounds, otherwise like Heavy (not available for pre-planned artillery strikes)
Harrass - very slow ROF to conserve ammunition
Light - slow ROF, remaining at slow ROF
Medium - medium ROF, then going to sustained ROF
Heavy - max ROF, then going to heavy sustained ROF
Smoke - medium ROF, firing smoke ammunition to create a smoke screen rather than explosive ammo to damage or destroy the target

Duration - determines number of rounds to use per mission:
Quick - 2-4 rounds
Short - 6-12 rounds
Medium - 12-18 rounds
Long - 20-28 rounds
Maximum - exhausts ammo supply

Our 152's have a maximum rate of fire of 6-8 rounds/minute and a sustained of 1 round/minute. So I think Light Intensity/Medium Duration is what we want.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaguars! posted:

Phi, before I do orders, Can I request a MG team from the weapons company is attached? There should be enough room in my second or third APC for it.

You got it.

I also wanna delegate the new ATGMs we got to you.

Also IGLAs go to 3 Platoon

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Davin - thinking about how difficult moving forces of this size around, I think a 5 minute delay before each bombardment would be a good idea. It'll help the flow of the game, and also still have the desired effect.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I made a map segment of our approximate deployment zone to help with starting positions. It's bigger than I expected.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is my proposed deployment area for 1st Company. I am not trying to micro manage during this LP, but I think the first turn with so many units can use some extra central control for traffic.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I highly advise Coy Commanders take a strong hand here in the beginning at least - we need to be in good columns and get our Pause orders/move out orders right or else this will turn into a 1st class shitshow, like one of those Russian dashcam videos.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Davin - thinking about how difficult moving forces of this size around, I think a 5 minute delay before each bombardment would be a good idea. It'll help the flow of the game, and also still have the desired effect.

I strongly disagree. A delayed bombardment will let the enemy get out of the target area, and then we'll have to retarget the bombardment, in which case we might as well not bother with the preliminary bombardment.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

To be honest, my confidence is low that they will drive down the very exposed road at all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

professor_curly posted:

I highly advise Coy Commanders take a strong hand here in the beginning at least - we need to be in good columns and get our Pause orders/move out orders right or else this will turn into a 1st class shitshow, like one of those Russian dashcam videos.

To expand upon this:

If you put your BTRs in a column and give them all orders to move out you NEED to give all vehicles but the lead incremental pause orders or the AI will gently caress up the pathing and cause them to go in all sorts of loving directions and get stuck for at least a minute.

So this:

Lead - move
Second - pause :05, move
Third - pause :10, move
Fourth - pause :15, move

Another reason this great game is a flaming piece of poo poo.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

To expand upon this:

If you put your BTRs in a column and give them all orders to move out you NEED to give all vehicles but the lead incremental pause orders or the AI will gently caress up the pathing and cause them to go in all sorts of loving directions and get stuck for at least a minute.

So this:

Lead - move
Second - pause :05, move
Third - pause :10, move
Fourth - pause :15, move

Another reason this great game is a flaming piece of poo poo.

Confirming that the AI will gently caress up your entire deployment for at least 10 turns if you try and move too many vehicles close to each other at the same time.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I'd say that 5 second pause intervals are optimistic 10/15 seconds is more forgiving on the braindead AI. Furthermore, I'd recommend entire platoons stay put for a whole minute. It's much better for lead forces to arrive in time than nobody.

These vehicles have a large turning radius, so it's essential that you deploy them with the correct facing.

I'd also suggest that the battalion ATGMs should have priority getting into position. They have the longest range of any of our weapon systems.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

professor_curly posted:

Sorry, I don't see the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4Wv2p62vM

e: ohhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuvatlfL8Bs

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Don't let this be you. Coordinate closely with your Coy and fellow Platoon leaders. Pause orders are going to be very important, it's going to take a long time to clear out all of our forces but we have to do this in an orderly fashion.

abelian posted:

I'd also suggest that the battalion ATGMs should have priority getting into position. They have the longest range of any of our weapon systems.

Agreed. 3rd Coy should let the Battalion ATGM's go first to set up south of Viridian city, 1st Coy should let the Battalion Recon forces advance ahead of them.

Also 2nd Coy is slowly evolving its mission as we more closely analyze the terrain. In addition to guarding the road, you will also have the responsibility of blunting any attack straight through the center. Dublish will inform you about the specifics.

We expect to meet the enemy in the wooded hill areas in a series of short range knife fights. Be ready for it.

Davin - Will you be around tomorrow evening to chat about this? I have some thoughts I want your opinion on.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Comrades! 2nd Company is tasked with completely denying Victory Road to the NATO forces.

For this task, we have three platoons of infantry, a weapons platoon, and a tank platoon.

Platoon assignments are:

1st Platoon (White) - Yooper
2nd Platoon (Blue) - Fuligin
3rd Platoon (Red) - NastyToes

Deployment and March: To avoid interfering with the movements of 1st Company and 3rd Company, we will deploy in the fields at the southeast edge of Pallet Town. We have the use of one road for most of our march to Victory Road. 1st Platoon will start in front, 2nd Platoon will follow, and 3rd Platoon will bring up the rear. I recommend using PAUSE commands to keep your vehicles spaced out enough to avoid traffic jams. This does mean that 3rd Platoon will sit still for a couple of turns.

2nd Company will move south from Pallet Town along the road adjacent to Flo Rida Swamp. As indicated on the map, the company will cross the swamp and proceed uphill along the road network towards Victory Road. At the crossroads, 1st Platoon will break off and move to cover the Mount Silver sector. 2nd and 3rd Platoons will continue south to the highway. 2nd Platoon will then move west to the Mount Silver sector, and 3rd Platoon will remain in the middle to act as a reserve.

:siren:
Notice: As the marked crossing of Flo Rida Swamp is unsafe, march orders are changing. 1st and 3rd Platoons, in that order, will follow 3rd Company's armor across the Route 23 bridge, then turn south in Viridian City towards Victory Road. 2nd Platoon and Company HQ units will follow the Recon Platoon on Mount Mortar to cross Flo Rida to the south.

1st Platoon (White)
Yooper, your job is to keep NATO forces off Victory Road to the east, and defend against attacks coming from the field to your south. Until and unless we get a commander for our tank platoon, you have command of them. That gives you 6 total vehicles to deploy.

2nd Platoon (Blue)
Fuligin, you'll be defending against any attack that comes from the west. There are clearings both north and south of the road at your position, and I want you to cover it all. You have command of our weapons platoon for now, so you've got 5 vehicles.

3rd Platoon (Red)
NastyToes, you'll be hanging out in the dip in the highway between 1st and 2nd Platoons. I don't expect NATO to infiltrate into the low terrain south of you without first tangling with 1st Company, but I want you to move some scouts south just in case. For now, you just have the 3 vehicles your platoon starts with.

Don't take the boundaries I've marked as absolutes. If you need to take more or less space to adequately cover the highway and possible directions of attack, you are free to do so. Spread out, and keep your vehicles as safe as you can.

EDIT: glynnenstein has done some testing for us:

glynnenstein posted:

I have done some testing and have IMPORTANT ADVICE APPLICABLE TO EVERYONE DRIVING THROUGH GRASS: NO NOT USE THE FAST COMMAND. It seems too likely to cause BTRs to get bogged in these conditions.

I think that with some minor tweaks to our timing that it should be as smooth as it's going to get provided we don't get bogged. Please limit yourselves to the QUICK speed. Other units on roads can probably ignore this.

Make note of this in all your orders. We definitely don't want to any vehicles getting bogged down, and especially not where they can block friendly movement.

Headquarters Orders

Company HQ and support assets assigned to us will bring up the rear, and will move in the following order:

1) Iglas teams
2) AGS-17 #3
3) AGS-17 #2
4) AGS-17 HQ
5) Company HQ
6) AGS-17 #1

All vehicles will initially deploy in the fields south of Pallet Town, immediately north of 2nd Platoon. Each vehicle will PAUSE an additional 15 seconds after the preceding vehicle leaves, starting with the Iglas BTR (which will follow Fuligin's last vehicle), and then start moving.

The route is marked in Fuligin's orders here.

All vehicles will move FAST when on roads to the endpoints indicated above. *If not on roads, vehicles will slow down to QUICK.* As the direction from which units arrive has changed (see :siren:updated march orders:siren: above), vehicles should stay on roads until as close to their endpoint as possible before moving cross-country. Once at their endpoints, all squads will DISMOUNT and move QUICK (and MOVE, if applicable) as indicated.

dublish fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 6, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

:siren: 3 COY COMMAND HQ ORDERS :siren:

I order my command section INTO the BTR-82s assigned to my Command HQ section.

I order the BTR-82s to be TURNED OUT

Fast move down the road. 10 second delay between BTRs.

Red Star = BTR.

Forward, comrades!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2YlbiyiuMc

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Phi230 posted:

You got it.

I also wanna delegate the new ATGMs we got to you.

Also IGLAs go to 3 Platoon

Are these company ATGMs or from the support group? I'm having a little trouble keeping track. tbh, I'd have one ride with me, one with 3/1 platoon and the rest deploy with 3/3, they'd be best dominating that open ground.

Also, I've put my troops in a starting position on roll20, I figure I'll wait at least a minute for the rest of the company, I figure order of march would be something like:

3/3
3HQ
3/3
3 Armoured
3/1
3/2

I'll get my orders out in good time, but I prefer to post them once and not amend at all.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 3, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaguars! posted:

Are these company ATGMs or from the support group? I'm having a little trouble keeping track. tbh, I'd have one ride with me, one with 3/1 platoon and the rest deploy with 3/3, they'd be best dominating that open ground.

Also, I've put my troops in a starting position on roll20, I figure I'll wait at least a minute for the rest of the company, I figure order of march would be something like:

3/3
3HQ
3 Armoured
3/1
3/3

I'll get my orders out in good time, but I prefer to post them once and not amend at all.

1. They are Bttn. Support ATGMs. Superior to normal ATGMs. Conserve them, use them to overwatch the road.

2. 3HQ will lead the charge, so just swap out 3HQ and 3/3.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Alright. For reasons I can only speculate about, we've been allocated care of a bunch of missile wallahs. We've also requested and received a machine gun team from the company, so a quick loading plan is in order.

All clear? Here's everyone and their rides, hopefully this should be more or less the game default. I'll call everyone by the name of their transport since we all start mounted.

We're moving in two groups. ATGM teams 1 & 2 are going to queue in behind 3 Company HQ and follow as fast as possible. The Rifle Platoon and ATGM 3 are going to wait off the road and them move in loose convoy once the traffic is through. Starting positions as shown:

GI, you can change the wait intervals and spacing as you think appropriate.

ATGMs 1 & 2 will start along the road until they get past the chokepoint. They then split up and both turn off the main road ASAP to prevent traffic buildup. Overall, we want to move at a quick rate, but slow down for obstacles as appropriate.
Detail of route:

When ATGM 1 reaches it's destination they will wait for deployment orders. When ATGM 2 reaches the end of the yellow line, they will dismount immediately and move through the trees on foot until they reach a location where they can see out onto the plains, preferably all the way to the highway.

Rifle Platoon Group will wait for the rest of 3 Company to clear before moving onto the main road. I'm hoping this will take less than 4 minutes, but move when appropriate. The spacing should be loose enough for all of them to start together, travel at move speed so we don't run into the back of the inevitable tank that's stuck in second gear. When they reach their area squads 2 and 3 + the Coy MG will dismount and move about 15m forward from their vehicles, but stay amongst the trees. Use the standard move command.

PS. rehosted a bunch of CM icons here

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 6, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok, since we really need more placenames, I took the liberty of filling in a map with a bunch of Pokémon themed names. The only thing I know about Pokémon is what I remember from the old gameboy game that I played in middle school. So I found a list of names and applied them. Yes, there really is a Mt. Mortar. I renamed Indigo Plateau to be called Pewter Cit. And I moved Mount Silver into a location that really is a mountain.

Since it's not easy to quickly get a big picture of the terrain relief from the contour map, I plotted a heightmap of the terrain:

And finally, I superimposed the heightmap on top of the main map:

I'm trying to capture videos of the terrain in order to help folks get a feeling for how their deployment will work out, but I'm having a world of trouble with the video recording software on this map. I might just post screenshots.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Ok I got a video rendering, but in the meantime here is some photoreconnaissance of the AO.

Looking from 3 coy's deployment area, the terrain is gently sloping up towards the enemy starting area, which is on the high ground. The field in front of the tank is a small rise in the terrain. Behind the tank there isn't really any LoS to anything of consequence. Note that I am not suggesting a tank be placed here, merely illustrating line of sight. That tank is almost certainly javelin meat if he stays there.

A bit further to the northeast is a very nice treeline for a Koronet or two. Jaguars, I'd consider adjusting your placement to include this area. The koronets are long range missiles, and we use the opportunity to attrite their forces from range.

The northern flanks of Mt. Silver make for textbook ambush positions. If worse comes to worse and we get overrun, 2 coy could hastily shift north and destroy anything that comes along the way.

The next two pictures are on the western slopes of Mt Silver.

Victory Road is recessed from the surrounding slopes in the western half of the map. Ambushing infantry will need to be right on the loving road.

Can you spot that tank? These infantry can't.

Victory Road at Jagged Pass, looking West, North, East, and South, respectively. LoS into the nearby woods is nonexistant. But a tank or ATGM sitting in back on either/both sides of the road, inside the gully, could wreak havoc on any convoy crossing the road.

Anything trying to cross here is good as dead.

Finally, it probably doesn't matter since they're just acting as a reserve, but the positions as ordered for 1/3 and 2/3 are facing towards forest/hills:

(ignore the unit icons, I was just moving them around in the editor to check LoS).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:frogsiren:Alright comrades, finish that vodka and wake up Ivan. It's time to roll. :frogsiren:

For the field crossing, please avoid plowed ground, instead go like this.

T-90's first. Please add a 10 second buffer between vehicles.

They will all move FAST as noted on the PINK route (over the bridge). If there is a nasty snarl up please add another 10 second delay per vehicle. Once at the end of the pink route then follow the marked green route...

Tanks #1 and #2 will take up hulldown positions just behind the crest of the rise. Both will hopefully be tucked in nice and tight into the edge of the trees while still maintaining a clear line down the length of victory road.

Tank #3, the HQ tank, will be in reserve. Please tuck in nice and cozy like into the treeline and out sight of those pesky UAV's.

30 Second Pause first.

Please follow the PINK route across the bridge then through the farmfields towards the GREEN path. Then follow the GREEN path into position.

All three BTR's will move as quickly (FAST on hard surfaces QUICK on soft surfaces) as possible into marked positions.

Infantry will then dismount and follow the small PINK paths. Ideally the infantry will be just inside the woodline with a view down the road.

Question for CM experts. What's the best way to have my units hold fire? I know I can activate a hide command but is that the best way to do a proper ambush?

Yooper fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

If I have any new orders to issue, please tell me, but as a request, can we change "Pewter City" back to "Indigo Plateau"? It's not important, it's just that (a) many of our plans already refer to "Indigo Plateau" and (b) as a mindset, that village is our intended final objective, so it follows from Victory Road and Route 23 for a reason.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Yooper posted:

Question for CM experts. What's the best way to have my units hold fire? I know I can activate a hide command but is that the best way to do a proper ambush?

Target arcs (ugh, I feel dirty just saying it). They're finicky, since your units will ONLY fire at targets within the arc, but for a short-range ambush they should do the trick.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Davin Valkri posted:

If I have any new orders to issue, please tell me.

Here are my thoughts, that I wanted to discuss with you but might as well ask everyone.

Do you think that we can have 3rd Coy and ATGM's deployed and ready faster than they can get a force up Route 23? If yes, then I think we should focus our artillery on trying to control any potential movements in the south.

Also do we want to try and preempt movement or try to time it so that we actually hit someone/something?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

Target arcs (ugh, I feel dirty just saying it). They're finicky, since your units will ONLY fire at targets within the arc, but for a short-range ambush they should do the trick.

Ahh, bummer. I'd hoped they'd have added something new.

Well, maybe my forward element can use a target arc, at least everyone isn't hosed then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

professor_curly posted:

Here are my thoughts, that I wanted to discuss with you but might as well ask everyone.

Do you think that we can have 3rd Coy and ATGM's deployed and ready faster than they can get a force up Route 23? If yes, then I think we should focus our artillery on trying to control any potential movements in the south.

Also do we want to try and preempt movement or try to time it so that we actually hit someone/something?

I think if arty lands as soon as possible, we can at least draw if not win a "race" to set up our ATGMs. If we try to get cute and time for hits, I absolutely guarantee they'll have tanks set up along Victory Road and shooting at us as we get into position. We aren't the US--arty is a mass suppression and area denial tool first, cute tank destroyer second. Come to think of it, I can add an extra 120mm barrage running parallel to and just south of Victory road for an extra bit of denial, if you'd like.

• Locked thread