Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'm keeping tabs on my thoughts in Roll20 in cyan on the main map as far as ordering goes. Let me know what you guys think, and if you can do tests about vehicles moving through the center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Now that the main objective has become directing traffic, this is the most realistic combat mission let's play yet.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

ATGM orders
Make sure you have enough ATGMs covering the crossroads. In your current orders, there are only two that will have overwatch on the crossroads. Also, make sure you give orders to deploy them. Unlike the company ATGMs, they can only be fired from a deployed tripod.

ATGM vehicle 1 would have to basically move to the red ellipse below before having visibility on the crossroads area:

I'm going to sneak in the battalion FO along with your northern ATGM teams. Since you have a 20s pause order, they should be able to fit in right before you. That should be enough to avoid a traffic jam.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Orders for 2nd Company 3rd Platoon

Units should wait for 2/1 to move out and then proceed down the road along the highlighted path at QUICK speed. Use 5-second pause intervals between BTRs to give spacing.
Upon reaching their destination, the BTRs will REVERSE into the forest for concealment. Infantry will remain in the BTRs until needed.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 5, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

TG1 battalion assets

Arty observation vehicle: deploy southeast of battalion ATGMs. Face Southeast oriented along the road. Move as shown below, where yellow is move quick and blue is just move. Facing is marked in short purple lines. If the vehicle gets immobilized due to terrain, then have the crew dismount and continue along the same path at a "move quick" pace.

Command vehicles, FAC vehicle and HQ tank:
Deploy and face as shown, out of the way. Sit tight.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NastyToes posted:

Orders for 2nd Company 3rd Platoon

1st Platoon is taking the original route. You'll be following 3rd Co over their bridge. Other than that, things look fine for now.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Prof worked out a new marching order in roll20. Our BRTs can't cross the swamp path so we had to reroute traffic.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

NastyToes posted:

Prof worked out a new marching order in roll20. Our BRTs can't cross the swamp path so we had to reroute traffic.

Who has tested what? I know glynnenstein had vehicles going over our original route in tests he did yesterday.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just tested going over the swamp route and the BTR's just paused, turned, paused, and even after five minutes of resetting orders at various speeds they wouldn't cross. The BTR's will have to go over the bridge then cut through the fields. It works well as long as they stay out of the plowed sections. This way we at least aren't making GBS threads up the town route. The only slow section is the crossing towards the bottom of the screenshot. I haven't had any vehicles bog yet, but I did have quite a few bog in the plowed fields.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If we follow the updated order of movement on the previous page we should swap where we deploy so we don't have to worry about going around, just going.

I'm sure you were already thinking of this but to state the obvious...

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm so glad I'm not in command of a line platoon. Good luck to the rest of you! :v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Any chance we could get a time extension to deal with this?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
:siren: Alright your guys, listen up :siren:

The central road through Flo Rida is a no-go. To anything. Tanks break their tracks or freak out, BTR's don't drive through it, and it is generally a shitshow.

Here is the marching orders for each road:

Northern Road (Route 23 S)
1st - Battalion ATGM Teams. If 3rd Coy wants their HQ team to move up first with the battalion ATGM teams that's fine.
2nd - 3rd Coy Armored units and ATGM teams. Hide the armor, so it can pop out when necessary but isn't Javelin bait.
3rd - 2nd Coy Armor (To set up overwatch from the top of Mount Silver as soon as possible)
4th - 2nd Coy, 1st Platoon (to set up on Mount Silver/defend against attacks from the Danger Zone)
5th - 2nd Coy, 3rd Platoon
--------With 2nd Coy support and HQ units distributed among there.
6th - 3rd Coy 3rd Platoon
7th - 3rd Coy 2nd Platoon
8th - 3rd Coy 1st Platoon
--------With 3rd Coy support and HQ units distributed among there.

Southern Road (Rida Route)
1st - Battalion Recon
2nd - 2nd Coy 2nd Platoon
3rd - 1st Coy, at their discretion

At this point, just simple orders. Adjust your deployments, and then give each vehicle in front of you 20 seconds to move.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Could you point out exactly which part you mean by Central road on a map, been looking at the big map with the names and rather confused.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 6, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

3co 4 platoon (Heavy weapons)

Temp orders to keep this unit from getting in the way while we unfuck the traffic.

A single mg team detatched to 3/2 platoon.
Rest of unit starts mounted up.

Deploy behind the battalion HQ on this road. space the vehicles out along the road. wait.

Notes: It'd be nice getting this out near the front, but after discussions on roll20, it'd just make things worse. This is a temporary order, don't assign it to me permanently.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 6, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Could you point out exactly which part you mean by Central road on a map, been looking at the big map with the names and rather confused.

I've posted a third tab on the orders spreadsheet ("Traffic Cop') that reflects the current state of submitted orders.

I've highlighted conflict points or impassable terrain in red. If your cell is not red, then you shouldn't need to worry; everything should be mostly ok.

Ed. here is a link, but not sure if it will work: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-d6mtH8Ln1EMBSg-UNs6QntbevMiPRXV2THc4kqJQU/edit#gid=1913321351

abelian fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 6, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fray: Please add 30 seconds of delay to your orders so that you delay 30, then move.
Hubis: Please add 30 seconds of delay to your orders so that you delay 1 minute, then move.
Forums Terrorist: You should not need to delay given your western path.
Koolkevz66: Your delay is already 90 seconds so that should be fine.

:siren:
Generation Internet: Just trying to make sure you see this in case there's no time extension and they don't get updated. Also, the move Forrums Terroist is doing works best if you give it lots of short moves through the trees rather than longer segments, so that is our desired execution.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ok, this should fix our current issues with minimal effort otherwise.

1st Coy - follow glynn's orders in the last post.

2nd Coy - have your HQ and weapons teams follow 2/2 over Rida's Crossing.

3rd Coy - Full Halt until 2nd Coy is done moving in front of you.

Davlin - Apperently we only have 1/3 of the ammunition for our artillery that we thought, so we're cancelling all the preliminary barrages. Even a harass mission will use half our ammo, which isn't good. If you want to drop a one-section 152 smoke screen across Route 23 just before the crossroads though, that could be useful for helping us set up with all this new road madness.

If we change the above orders, that should "fix" the road issue as far as it can be fixed. Sorry for the panic/last minuteness of this.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 6, 2016

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders updated.

FrozenLiquidity
Jun 10, 2016

:siren: 3/5 ORDERS :siren:

Order of March: Unit 1, Unit 2, HQ
Unbutton those hatches, and wait for 2nd Coy to pass before moving out.
Then Move following the provided route:

Unit 1 will continue to the indicated destination without stopping, then seek cover and face SE
Unit 2 and HQ will break off of the main road at the indicated point,
HQ Will set up in this area utilizing available cover facing ESE
Unit 2 will continue until the indicated destination, halting where the trees bracket the road and face ESE

FrozenLiquidity fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
What have we done?! :ussr:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright then, now we see how much of these orders get translated into the battle.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to lost power in the hurricane so is there anything you want me to do before then?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Katznmaus posted:

Gonna run the turn tonight at some point. probably, and your side is looking all good to me. Dunno if you're in the danger zone Phi but stay safe regardless.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

professor_curly posted:

Davin - Apperently we only have 1/3 of the ammunition for our artillery that we thought, so we're cancelling all the preliminary barrages. Even a harass mission will use half our ammo, which isn't good. If you want to drop a one-section 152 smoke screen across Route 23 just before the crossroads though, that could be useful for helping us set up with all this new road madness.

If we change the above orders, that should "fix" the road issue as far as it can be fixed. Sorry for the panic/last minuteness of this.

Eh?! No artillery! That's not the Soviet way at all! Ah, very well. I'll edit my old orders to link to this.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Did you know an artillery barrage of sufficient intensity can completely destroy all the trees in a forest :)

I think they might have to be 'personnel' i.e. air-bursting, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I made a test quick-battle with nothing but artillery on either side, called all of it on the same 100m patch of trees, and watched it magically vanish within thirty seconds. I don't know how that actually affects cover and other things like that. What's interesting is that it's the actual tiles on the ground in the forest that determine what is and isn't accessible to vehicles and not the actual trees, so even if you knock down all the trees on a 'heavy forest' tile nothing will be able to drive through there.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Davin Valkri posted:

Eh?! No artillery! That's not the Soviet way at all! Ah, very well. I'll edit my old orders to link to this.

I agree. However I don't think using half our ammunition on a lark to play mind games with NATO is a worthwhile use.

We'll need that artillery to reduce Pewter City into dust.

:v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Eh?! No artillery! That's not the Soviet way at all!

Neither is a total lack of electronic warfare support given that each russian brigade has a jammer company and modern Russian doctrine strongly emphasises electronic superiority*, but there you go.

*NATO's somewhat fallen behind in this area for the moment largely because the US Army ditched all their EW units in the 90s and the USAF decided electronic warfare was for nerds and retired all their major jammer platforms, lmao

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 6, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

professor_curly posted:

I agree. However I don't think using half our ammunition on a lark to play mind games with NATO is a worthwhile use.

We'll need that artillery to reduce Pewter City into dust.

:v:

THAT is the sovietneo-tsarist way.

Or another way to look at it: Why spend our artillery playing guessing games on a 5-minute turn when we could employ it far more effectively with even the sliiightest amount of recon? Especially since we strongly suspect they are going to be playing games in the woods to the south.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Generation Internet posted:

What's interesting is that it's the actual tiles on the ground in the forest that determine what is and isn't accessible to vehicles and not the actual trees, so even if you knock down all the trees on a 'heavy forest' tile nothing will be able to drive through there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZCEusgH-HE&t=2370s

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Waitaminit - did the germans really put a guy called 'wagoner' in charge of their transport system? :ghitler::aaaaa:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Eh?! No artillery! That's not the Soviet way at all! YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON ARTILLERY! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

Katznmaus posted:

Which train goes to Krolevets?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Orders are final

so it begins

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Phi230 posted:

so it begins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKhsPO6yYko

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

abelian posted:

Which train goes to Krolevets?

This one!

I wonder how many enemy fighter jets we shoot down in turn 1.

Orders are final
How long did it take for you to input the commands and related to that, how many hairs did turn grey during this procedure?

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Knowing our luck, probably none, and our column gets half a dozen CBU-95s applied upon it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Katznmaus posted:

How long did it take for you to input the commands and related to that, how many hairs did turn grey during this procedure?

Five hours.

:suicide:

Update 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvzF7Laio4

*Note, something ate the first minute of video between recording, rendering, and uploading. Nothing really happens though! If anyone really wants to see it I can either upload the save or re-record the turn.

I'm also uploading the save for turn 5, I'll post again when it's online.

The next turn will be an additional five minutes or until engaging the enemy! Orders will be due next Monday.

e: Save file!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5huf5vqj67f5lwg/Goon%20Game%20Turn%205%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0

Password: Poutine

Let me know if that works.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

I see what you did there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, that went as well as could be expected. Congratulations on not shooting yourself during the orders phase! :suicide:

• Locked thread