Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jaguars! posted:

Well, that went as well as could be expected. Congratulations on not shooting yourself during the orders phase! :suicide:

Yeah, but the worst is yet to come. Imagine having to put in orders for all of those units once the shooting starts! :saddowns:

Anyway, I don't see viable targets for arty, and nobody's got a good view anyway, so support command has no orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Putting in fine placement orders will honestly probably be easier than complicated map-spanning orders with conditionals and pauses :unsmith:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Davin Valkri posted:

Yeah, but the worst is yet to come. Imagine having to put in orders for all of those units once the shooting starts! :saddowns:

Anyway, I don't see viable targets for arty, and nobody's got a good view anyway, so support command has no orders.

It'd pay to spread your mortars out, they should be at least 100m apart to prevent airstrikes getting the whole lot at once. I think they all have radios, so spreading them out shouldn't be a problem.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Watching the video, and apparently I have KYOON GRIFFEY JR (who hasn't posted in this thread?) commanding our 4th Weapons Platoon, and gamerofthegame commanding our 5th Tank Platoon.

Welcome to 2nd Company! 4th Platoon is supporting Fuligin's 2nd, and 5th is supporting Yooper's 1st. If and when we start moving from the positions we're heading to at the moment, you'll have control over your platoons.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dublish posted:

Watching the video, and apparently I have KYOON GRIFFEY JR (who hasn't posted in this thread?) commanding our 4th Weapons Platoon, and gamerofthegame commanding our 5th Tank Platoon.

Welcome to 2nd Company! 4th Platoon is supporting Fuligin's 2nd, and 5th is supporting Yooper's 1st. If and when we start moving from the positions we're heading to at the moment, you'll have control over your platoons.

I added in spectators as platoon commanders for added fun when people start dying, purely cosmetic :)

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Well we're moving a lot better than I feared. I'm surprised none of our choke points are getting bombarded.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright, so I'm still looking through things but overall I think previous round of orders stands. We'll get the save and check sightlines for people who are setting up and generally work on the specifics of deployments for our forward tanks and ATGM's. Otherwise, I think this was as good as we could hope for. Good work everyone.

Also do we have some AA missiles deployed? If not, please do so.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

Alright, so I'm still looking through things but overall I think previous round of orders stands. We'll get the save and check sightlines for people who are setting up and generally work on the specifics of deployments for our forward tanks and ATGM's. Otherwise, I think this was as good as we could hope for. Good work everyone.

Also do we have some AA missiles deployed? If not, please do so.

Yes, iglas need to be deployed. I don't think their exact positions will matter very much at all. Just keep them spread out so that we don't lose too many in a single arty barrage, and get that AA umbrella up and running ASAP.

As far as orders go, I agree that they should be mostly unchanged. But given that we haven't made contact yet, we need to get our recon out as far as possible. So some contingency orders to have recon (both the official recon and other leading elements) keep moving if they reach the end of their waypoints and still aren't in contact. We want as much information as possible. We don't really know the enemy's intent, and the sooner we can react to that, the better.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Alright let's work on that then. Could we get a recon team (not the vehicle necessarily) up on the peak of the Danger Zone looking south? What would the sight be from that location?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

Alright let's work on that then. Could we get a recon team (not the vehicle necessarily) up on the peak of the Danger Zone looking south? What would the sight be from that location?

I'll have a better idea when I get home from work this evening. I've only skimmed the video/have a vague idea of where things are at. I'll post some screens.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders for 3 Company 2 Platoon 'Concerned Ukrainian Citizens' and Battalion ATGM platoon 'Lost Muscovite Football Team'

Rifle Group
No change in orders.

Previous orders here.

ATGM carriers 1 & 2.
1 Squad A team will move as shown on the map and try find a spot amongst the hummocks where they can see to the crossroads.
1 squad B team should deploy at the closest spot where they can see to the highway.

ATGM carrier 1 will drop off one missile team at each drop off point. Then they can move up the hill toward the nearest tree cover. Both missile teams should deploy within the tree clusters at the ends of their lines.

Edit: Have the two mounted teams acquire another missile before they leave, if possible.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 9, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Fray posted:

Well we're moving a lot better than I feared. I'm surprised none of our choke points are getting bombarded.

We're right about on time for delayed barrages to start coming in, so hold that thought! haha

I will have a better chance to sort out this poo poo tomorrow, I hope. Some elements of 1st company might have to issue some useful orders for getting into forward positions. Also, 1/1(?) looks like it's going on a back woods adventure into the bushes, so I might need to retask 3rd platoon while Forums Terrorist wrangles that. Not entirely unexpected.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

glynnenstein posted:

Also, 1/1(?) looks like it's going on a back woods adventure into the bushes, so I might need to retask 3rd platoon while Forums Terrorist wrangles that. Not entirely unexpected.

I loaded up the save, it looks like they're going for the Flo Crossing as ordered; I sent them there since I anticipated a bit of a clog at Rida.

Also, hell is a million diesels all revving in idle simutaneously, and gazing upon all this Russianness makes me want to squat, drink vodka, eat borscht with black bread, and write a bleak novel that's a thinly veiled manifesto on Christian anarchy.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

glynnenstein posted:

We're right about on time for delayed barrages to start coming in, so hold that thought! haha

I will have a better chance to sort out this poo poo tomorrow, I hope. Some elements of 1st company might have to issue some useful orders for getting into forward positions. Also, 1/1(?) looks like it's going on a back woods adventure into the bushes, so I might need to retask 3rd platoon while Forums Terrorist wrangles that. Not entirely unexpected.

Looking at the video, and the trouble the Recon BTRs are having off-roading through even that little bit of woodland by the highway I am wondering if it might be worth either dismounting when we hit the ravine on the south side, or cutting to the hilltop clearing to the west to zip all the way down that flank?

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Regardless, based on the ease with which we've already had a bogging, go NORMAL speed through trees and avoid the woods wherever possible.

We may want to keep those troops heading to the Flo crossing to wait as well. That's swamp, and it seems like we bog very quickly in the swamp. It may be better for you to wait your turn at Rida.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Jaguars! posted:

It'd pay to spread your mortars out, they should be at least 100m apart to prevent airstrikes getting the whole lot at once. I think they all have radios, so spreading them out shouldn't be a problem.

Is that needed, though? It's rather doubtful FACs could get LOS on them all the way back here, right? And they can't share ammo at 100m apart.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Drones could.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Is that needed, though? It's rather doubtful FACs could get LOS on them all the way back here, right? And they can't share ammo at 100m apart.

Self-propelled mortars don't share ammo as far as I know.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Jaguars! posted:

Drones could.
Also, aircraft tend to roundly ignore FAC/JTAC orders. Or at least they treat them as loose suggestions. It seems like if they spot targets of opportunity, they will happily engage (depending on mission parameters).

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I took some screens to help people figure out where their poo poo actually is.

1 coy (no trees)

As others were saying, 1/1's pathing might want to be tweaked a bit.

1/1

1/2

1/3

1/4

1/5

2 coy

2/1

2/2

2/3

2/4

2/5

AGS platoon

Igla platoon

3 coy

3/1

3/2

3/3

3/4

3/5

Battalion ATGMs

Battalion recon

Ed. also made some LoS videos of assets that are likely to be in contact soon:

Kornet ATGM 1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgrU9P_MSJg

Kornet ATGM 1B:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgrU9P_MSJg

3/5 #1 tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYT0VMT9FYU

3/5 #2+HQ tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiH9Fwop9Nc

2/1 lead BTR LoS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvmAwkZIK48
That last waypoing on the road has partial LoS to and past the smoke area, to that eastern hillside.

abelian fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 8, 2016

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
I'm still thinking through orders and such on roll20, so keep an eye out for orders tonight and tomorrow. In the meantime stop by to chat.

:siren:Also Standing Orders for all ATGM/Support Weapons Teams:siren:

Be sure to acquire your extra ammunition from the BTR before you dismount. This goes for ATGM's, AA missiles and other support teams that don't expect to be moving all that often.

Probably everyone else too, but I can't see what the penalty to carrying extra ammo is.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

If you overload your units they move slower (lose access to FAST command altogether) and gain fatigue faster, I think. It's definitely modeled in some capacity.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I think 2nd Company should be fine for at least the next 5 minutes. 2nd Platoon and HQ are moving slower than I'd hoped, but we already knew traaffic would be an issue. I'm happy with the progress of 1st and 3rd Platoons.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

abelian posted:

I took some screens to help people figure out where their poo poo actually is.
Thank you for all these videos and pictures, these really do help.

I think it's a really nice touch our pixelmen actually do have our names and to boot, there are even more goons involved now. Saros is probably totally thrilled that I will bring his squad immediate bombardment by fighter jets glory and victory.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Continue current orders. The only difference is once BTRs reach their locations, dismount the squads and place them quickly at the closest hedge facing towards the current front. The one exception is the lead element (second squad I believe) should leap past the house and go to the far hedge as indicated in the screenshot. Leave the HQ mounted but dismount the iglas. They should be fairly hidden with JUST dismounting so don't worry about moving them yet.

What do you use to screenshot this game? I'm using Gyazo and A) It took four attempts because it would screenshot the menu or a popup that I had up a minute ago or whatever. It was BROKEN. B) It does these where it switches it to the lowest detail possible and blurs/obscures features.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 9, 2016

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

professor_curly posted:

I'm still thinking through orders and such on roll20, so keep an eye out for orders tonight and tomorrow. In the meantime stop by to chat.

:siren:Also Standing Orders for all ATGM/Support Weapons Teams:siren:

Be sure to acquire your extra ammunition from the BTR before you dismount. This goes for ATGM's, AA missiles and other support teams that don't expect to be moving all that often.

Probably everyone else too, but I can't see what the penalty to carrying extra ammo is.

Overloading is definitely a thing. In fact, in my experience both Russian and US troops in this are already heavily loaded compared to ww2 infantry. I'd be judicious with acquiring too much ammo. ATMGs are very, very heavy.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Is there anything we can do to unfuck 1st Co crossing with wait or slower movement or whatever, or should we just suck it up and let it play out for another 5 minutes?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I don't think it's that bad. There's a short slow section to get through and then they'll speed back up. Just want to avoid vehicles without pauses trying to find an alternate route and getting bogged in some bad spot or wedged between two trees or whatever.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
:siren: :siren: :siren: Battalion Orders :siren: :siren: :siren:

First of all, 3rd Coy - Deploy your Iglas teams and set them up immediately. I don't care where they are honestly.

2nd Coy - Don't plan to deploy your Iglas teams on Victory Road. Set them up in Berry Fields or one of the other open spaces north of Victory Road. Just do that as soon as possible.

These are priority, commissar-grade orders. :commissar:

That said, let's proceed to the rest of the briefing. Here are the hypothesized enemy positions, based on how much time has passed and how far we have moved:

With that in mind, 3rd Coy armored and attached ATGM teams should be prepared for forces crossing our smoke screen and moving across Victory Road very soon. I have also constructed what I feel are their likely vector's of attack that we will need to deal with, now that our mobilization is mostly proceeding smoothly:

Attack Pattern 1: Is crossing the Danger Zone to attack Mount Silver from the south. This is what I think is the most likely axis of attack that actually worries me. They could take a solid chunk out of 2nd Coy if we don't prepare for this, and control a large section of the high ground on the highway. This cannot be allowed.

Attack Pattern 2: This is less obvious, but the far-western edge of the map is actually one of the fastest ways to transition from the North/South of the map. The woods there have no impassable terrain and so it can make a good place to attack across. Especially if we aren't expecting it, they could bypass our highway defense almost entirely and potentially shatter our force. This can also not be allowed.

Attack Pattern 3: An attack straight on Victory Road and/or Route 23 is an obvious way to attack. It is... moderately likely, but I don't think they would gamble this. Even if they do blitz down Route 23 though, our ATGM's and tanks are in solid enough positions that I think we should be able to blunt (if not halt) the attack and we have ample reserves to make this a losing option for them.

Attack Pattern 4: This is less of an attack strategy but more something to keep in mind. They could drop off infantry squads, and advance them through Mirage Island. Particularly, this would be a way for them to set up ATGM teams without exposing their transports. If 3rd Coy wants to request an AGL team to set up with them to help cover Mirage Island, that would be a good use for one.

Attack Pattern 5: This vector of attack isn't particularly strong but we should keep it in mind. They may attack the road from an oblique angle, so forces on the edge of our ambush deployments should have some sight looking that way, just in case.

Attack Pattern 6: This is not a good vector of attack. Jagged Pass, upon further scouting reports, is not suitable for vehicle traffic and the woods surrounding it aren't much better. The swampy terrain will bog down transports and tanks, and the sightlines aren't very good. Therefor we will not be sending an attack force through Jagged Pass.

:siren: Battalion Recon :siren:

Your orders have changed.

You have new priorities. One recon unit will continue through Jagged Pass and attempt to discover any enemy attacks along that axis. If they encounter no resistance, they will continue moving south until they do, or at least they will send some elements to continue scouting until the enemy is discovered.

The second recon unit will continue down the highway, duck into the Danger Zone and set up some infantry scouts on the top of Mount Silver, looking south and south-east. Once set up, they can send their BTR forward or leave it nearby, but those teams on Mount Silver should remain.

Finally Recon HQ is tasked with going South-West and scouting out the far western approach to Mount Moon. If no enemies are encountered, you will continue scouting south to Mount Pyre, and if still no enemies are discovered you will continue scouting the Ravaged Path.

:siren:1st Coy:siren:

You orders have changed. Not in spirit, but the details are now different. You will be tasked with guarding Mount Moon from Attack Patterns 2 and 6.

I want a platoon set up in defensive positions guarding the south/southwest approach to Mount Moon, guarding from any enemy attack.

I want another platoon to dismount and set up in the woods around Jagged Pass, to catch any infiltrators and recon-by-force through those woods. You can stay nearby in defensive positions or send some teams further into Jagged Pass to scout and set up ambushes, that's up to you.

Finally, a platoon will wait in reserve, dismounted and hidden but ready to mount up. If Battalion Recon does not discover enemy movement at Mount Pyre, this reserve platoon will mount up and move forward with armored support and move through the far western woods and advance into the southern portion of the map.

If this is successful, the Mount Moon defense platoon will mount up and follow. In this way 1st Coy will either receive and fend off an attack from the far western approach, or use it to advance under cover into the southern portion of the map. They will form up then and set up to block use of that southern route, and potentially launch flanking attacks on NATO forces.

Finally, I recommend that you all use the Rida crossing. It will take more time, but the Flo crossing seems too risky, and we don't need more BTR's bogged.

:siren: 2nd Coy :siren:

Your orders have slightly changed. I saw on the map in roll20 that you have a platoon acting as a reserve? Regardless there is a new mission for one of your platoons and 1-2 of your tanks:

Their new assignment will be to set up in the woods around the Danger Zone to defend against Attack Pattern 1 from the south. How you set up exactly is up to you, but I'd recommend putting the tanks near the road so they can easily move between defending Victory Road and fending off attacks from the Danger Zone. I'd also have some troops in that treeline by the road looking south-east, just in case they try to sneak some infantry teams from that direction.

:siren: 3rd Coy :siren:

Your orders haven't really changed, but we have discovered a good place for one of your reserve platoons to locate.

The woods north of Victory Road here are light, and vehicles can move easily through them. Set up defensively here, dismounted to avoid CAS strikes, and you'll be in prime location to counter attack against attacks from Victory Road, Route 23, and will still be able to quickly mount up and move out if you are needed somewhere else. NATO forces may also try to move through these woods to flank our highway defense, so it is a good idea to have you there to cut them off if they try that.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
re: iglas: Did we hear or suspect air?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

re: iglas: Did we hear or suspect air?

Gameplay wise you heard nothing besides your own smoke barrage for the entirety of the five turns.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

Gameplay wise you heard nothing besides your own smoke barrage for the entirety of the five turns.

Iglas range should span the entirety of the map, so I don't know why we wouldn't spread them out and deploy them, just in case.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

This looks real good to me. hopefully we can get some solid Intel soon and pivot more precisely over the next few turns!

Generation Internet posted:

To be fair, how are you supposed to hear anything over 100 bogged down diesel engines full of angry hungover Russians all shouting at one another to get out of the way?

Hubis fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 9, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'll get together some orders for 1st company around midday today.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Hubis posted:

To be fair, how are you supposed to hear anything over 100 bogged down diesel engines full of angry hungover Russians all shouting at one another to get out of the way?
Try to imagine what the dashcam videos must be like.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

NastyToes posted:

Try to imagine what the dashcam videos must be like.

Before long they'll be getting out and jumping on each other's hoods so they can sue for "injuries."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Updated my orders to reflect igla changes.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Recon Platoon

professor_curly posted:

You have new priorities. One recon unit will continue through Jagged Pass and attempt to discover any enemy attacks along that axis. If they encounter no resistance, they will continue moving south until they do, or at least they will send some elements to continue scouting until the enemy is discovered.

The second recon unit will continue down the highway, duck into the Danger Zone and set up some infantry scouts on the top of Mount Silver, looking south and south-east. Once set up, they can send their BTR forward or leave it nearby, but those teams on Mount Silver should remain.

Finally Recon HQ is tasked with going South-West and scouting out the far western approach to Mount Moon. If no enemies are encountered, you will continue scouting south to Mount Pyre, and if still no enemies are discovered you will continue scouting the Ravaged Path.
Do the above.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

professor_curly posted:

:siren: Battalion Recon :siren:

:siren:1st Coy:siren:

:siren: 2nd Coy :siren:

:siren: 3rd Coy :siren:

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Please don't micro-manage platoon and squad deployments, that leaves your company and platoon commanders with nothing to do. Nobody should be quoting you to say 'do this' in a perfect world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

1st Company! Our mission has changed somewhat to a more conservative initial defensive posture.

I recommend anyone still moving through the chokepoint and any forward areas of questionable ground to move through those local areas at MOVE speed rather than anything faster.

All infantry elements should consider the use of Scout Teams broken off of squads as you advance and where a forward position is useful for recon of enemy movement.

1st Platoon: In light of the worse than expected terrain, I recommend re-grouping, pausing and advancing through the main chokepoint as traffic permits. You are re-tasked to be our initial reserve force so you have a bit of time to move up, do not feel pressured to most hastily. However, you are free to make a considered decision about your pathing. At your assigned area of operation, you are to conceal yourselves as best possible and be ready for further orders to re-position as circumstances forward of your position dictate. The main threats to your platoon are enemy airstrikes and drone-directed artillery.

2nd Platoon: You are re-tasked to enter the woods just west of Jagged Pass, deny the area to the enemy, and prepare to attack the flanks of enemy movement through the pass ahead of you. (The arrow lines are completely general and you should choose your own routes.) Your vehicles can move slowly through the trees, but dismounting promptly upon entering the woods is prudent. For the BTRs, there are some longer view lines into the pass on high ground near where battalion recon will be positioned and near the forward edges of the woods. Try to balance the usefulness of the heavy machine gun with care to preserve the BTRs for ammunition and future movement. The main threat to your platoon is the advance of enemy forces toward your position.

3rd Platoon: You are re-tasked to move to forward positions at the extreme west of our area of operation. You are to prepare to defend against enemy advances on the right flank of the battalion. Terrain relief toward the edge of the wood offers good positions to defend but relatively short sight-lines. Utilize speed to seize your ground and be aware of the threat of forward enemy elements advancing onto your position.

5th Platoon (Armor): Occupy ground to the north of the open ground on Mount Moon. Terrain relief provides positions with good overwatch to the treeline in the south of the area. The main threats to your platoon are (near term, ongoing) enemy airstrikes and precision artillery and (later term) enemy infantry ATGMs infiltrating the trees to the south.

Company HQ and 4th Platoon (Weapons) orders!

Shift the QUICK leg of 1st Co HQ, 4th Platoon (Weapons) BTRs to follow the course on the map. Stop the Co HQ BTR in the trees before the road, continue to the 4th Platoon vehicles up close to the trees, but just before the crest of the rise to the south. MOVE 1 ATGM team and 1 MG team into the gap in the trees in this location where they have a view to the south of the opening toward the wheat field area. Deploy.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2016

• Locked thread