Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
:siren: This is the Russian thread, if you are on the allied team don't read this thread! If you are an observer, please post in the open thread and not in here. :siren:

RUSSIAN SPREADSHEET HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-d6mtH8Ln1EMBSg-UNs6QntbevMiPRXV2THc4kqJQU/edit?usp=sharing

Greetings, commanders. The official invasion of Ukraine has been ongoing for the past week and we've made impressive gains. To recap:

We are operating in Northern Ukraine, until recently a quiet front.

Despite the build-up of NATO forces in the area, they were evidently unprepared for an official Russian entrance into the conflict and units close to the border were destroyed outright. Resistance has stiffened considerably since then, but we are now closing from three sides on the city of Krolevets, which sits on the road to Kiev. There are still considerable NATO and Ukrainian forces East of the city, and their main route of retreat is along the highway.

Our lead element, the 20th Motor Rifle Brigade, has reached the outskirts of town. Most of the force has been caught up in skirmishing on routes into the city, but the 1st Battalion has been detached to secure the highway and close the pocket on the trapped allied forces.

Your mission is to close the gap. Friendly units to our south-east have been pursing allied units towards the highway, estimated to be roughly a battalion's worth of mixed American and Ukrainian units desperately trying to make their way to friendly lines. We must deny them the use of the highway and destroy as many military assets as we can. Our ultimate objective is capturing the village of Bystryk on the opposite side of the highway in order to secure our own supply line while denying its use to the enemy. Should resistance prove too great, focus on continued denial of the highway to ensure no enemy units escape to Krolevets as well as the destruction of precious enemy assets. Reserve units are rushing to relieve the rest of the 20th Motor Rifles on the outskirts of the city and elements of 2nd Battalion will be joining you within the hour to help secure this strategically vital sector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCkaSLGLcIc

Welcome to REDFOR, everyone. My intent is for the LP to be a bit more free-form than previous iterations. We're not going to play this like an actual game of combat mission where on-map objectives and other assigned parameters award points to the players. This is not a quick-battle with auto-generated objectives and pre-determined causality parameters for points, it is a scenario that I've put together from a custom map made by H1nd on the Battlefront forums. Because it is a scenario, I can control every single aspect of the battle, and as a result there is not one single victory point to be gained. Both sides have strategic objectives that they are trying to accomplish, and that are hopefully somewhat open ended. Achieving these objectives can be done in any way the players think of, and whenever the battle comes to an end I'll do a write-up and video going over the outcome and consequences of the battle. This is all done so that (hopefully) this game won't end when one side starts feeling discouraged about their chances of sitting on an objective zone and feels that continuing to play is pointless. Playing to the end is the point this time around!

Let's talk mechanics. For anyone completely unfamiliar with game mechanics but who wants to know which buttons they have the option of pushing, I will direct you to Grey Hunter's original Black Sea thread where he does an excellent rundown of the ui: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747124

If anyone has any specific questions about how the game is actually played or the specific functions that are available to certain units, just ask and I or someone with the game will be happy to help.

But, I don't want mechanics to be the focus of this game. I'll be the one playing it, you'll be the ones directing it. My philosophy going in is that it shouldn't necessarily matter if you very specifically arrange your orders into "MOVE to x and TARGET BRIEFLY (30 SECONDS) y" as long as you provide a map with your orders. You also shouldn't be worrying about which specific tile of the map your mans will be moving to, again, as long as there is a map. If the general placement of your units as well as your intent for what they should be doing is clear, I'll try my best to put them in the most reasonable position according to what you've posted. Be specific and unambiguous in your orders, and always include a map, and I'm optimistic this can help cut down on tedium for players. If it's a horrible failure than we'll try something else, but for now that's my plan.

Good orders:

quote:

"Jog platoons 1 and 3 to the trees as indicated and make sure they're facing south once they arrive. Have platoon 2 lay down a base of fire on the indicated section of highway

OR

Platoons 1 and 3 QUICK to trees as indicated on map, both FACE south upon arrival. Platoon 2 TARGET indicated area.
These orders are good because they are completely unambiguous thanks to the inclusion of a map. Map map map. I love maps. The wording doesn't have to be specific game terminology if I already know what you want to do, and I can interpret these orders easily into the engine.

Bad orders:

quote:

Move my men 17 meters southeast and have them shoot the enemy soldier
This is the worst, please don't do this. What men? Exactly 17 meters? Which enemy soldiers? I have no loving clue what you're talking about and have to keep alt-tabbing to the spreadsheet just to remember which soldiers you're in charge of. Interpreting non-visual orders to a visual-medium is intensely frustrating, so I would really appreciate it if everyone took the time to scribble in paint what they want me to do.

Force Composition

A link to a more specific order of battle for sign-ups can be located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k-d6mtH8Ln1EMBSg-UNs6QntbevMiPRXV2THc4kqJQU/edit?usp=sharing

Fill that out to claim your actual unit, which will have the additional benefit of letting me know who's made it over to this thread.

You will be in command of a Russian Tactical Group, which is a battalion sized element combining motorized infantry and armour. I'll include in-game screenshots closer to the first turn, but on paper here is what you have to command:

Also, for completely clarity, here is your final OOB. The only changes will be whenever your spreadsheet is completely filled out so I can name the rest of your commanders.

Reinforcements:

The support command was included so that there was a player besides the battalion commander to organize and deploy all these various assets. The battalion support platoons may be subordinated under any of the infantry companies or remain under the direct supervision of the battalion commander.

I think that should about do it for now. If you're unclear on anything just say so and I'll try and work it out. The actual game map will get posted in a few days, for now work with what you have!

Additions:

In game map:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/122997-chernova-hirka-master-map-10-released/

Conditions:

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

Second our BTR and other transports are very very explosive on death, a mistake me made last time was having them run right up to the front to disembark our troops inside. When the vehicles were destroyed they pretty much wiped out any squad around them. I suggest when we do use them to locate an area near to where we want our infantry to end up and disembark our infantry short of that location have them move forward and then have the BTR hang back and provide fire support I don't think we need the vehicles on top of our infantry positions. If anyone wants I can draw up something quick in paint to help explain what I mean if anyone wants me to?

As a matter of accuracy, in the last Black Sea game the Russians came with BMP-3s, which are different than BTR-82s and packed with considerably more high-explosive ammo.

Also, here's a link to the actual terrain you'll be fighting over for the initial stages of planning: https://goo.gl/maps/qdPPTWPLYMB2

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

No murderchopper, huh? What's in the air defense group?

1 Man Igla teams, each with a bunch of reloads. I think there may also be extra ammo in their BTRs?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Holy shamoley, I'm responsible for all of that?! I thought "support platoon" meant, like, a mortar battery or something!

I realize it's a ton, but I didn't really think it would be worthwhile to break out all those units into individual commands. How I envisioned it is that you're essentially the support coordinator. The support units can be placed directly under the command of any of the companies if you want to delegate some responsibility, but you're still the one who has to keep track of who's playing with the battalion's toys.

If that's too much feel free to switch up the OOB as much as you want so you don't feel overwhelmed!

Phi230 posted:

Gen Internet, what is the EW level we are playing it? If at all?

None. I thought about it, but I figured that would just remove a bunch of the aspects that differentiate Black Sea from the WWII games.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What's the map name so us owners can start surveying?

Phi230 posted:

Is this area representative of the map?

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/122997-chernova-hirka-master-map-10-released/

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

I'll be at work for the next five or six hours, and I won't get much of a chance to get caught up with the thread/watch the videos before then (for reference, I work during the weekdays PST, so I won't be able to post very much during those hours).

I'll post a spreadsheet and create a roll20 tonight in order to get us organized, as well as try to run my contour map script on this map.

Some questions for GI in the meantime:

Just to confirm, the recon platoon here is DecoyBadger's, and the rest of these units are under Davin's control?

What kind of ATGMs do we have?

Is the infantry is armed with AK-74s? Do they have PKMs? Do they have RPG-7s or RPG26/22? If so, how many?

Yep, with the addition that Davin also has the mortars. You can fiddle with the OOB as much or as little as you like when it comes to the battalion support assets, though.

Battalion ATGM is AT-14, company ATGM is AT-13

Standard infantry squad of 7 comes with AK-74s, PKP, SVD, RPG-7 and RPG-26 each with reloads.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Weather report:

Time is set to maximum so it doesn't run out on anybody. The battle will end when it ends, which I don't think will be four hours, but it takes a ticking clock out of the equation.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Well, don't take my word as gospel--it's possible they have preset forces in the southeast and their main body is in the west, or vice versa, I'm just guessing based on the "Blue Friendly Direction" parameter.

For clarity, that's referring to the main front-lines:

Your latest intelligence still has you facing NATO forces being pursued from the south-east.

Also, heads up, sign ups are officially full now and the open thread is thus officially off limits, if you were still reading it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Threw together a small preview video of your starting force as an exercise in getting into the groove of making videos again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvsjfw8wY0

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Choice 1

Decision time. The rest of your regiment is currently caught up on the outskirts of Krovolets, but are being re-tasked to support you as soon as possible. High command can send you either one company from Tactical Group 2, or two companies from Tactical Group 3. These reinforcements are expected to arrive at the 45 minute mark.

Option 1, TG2:

3x T-90AM, 10x BMP-3M with mounted infantry, 1x Tunguska, 1x Air Controller team with 1x KA-52 and 1x SU-34 as support.

Option 2, TG3:

7x T-72B3, 23x BMP-2M with mounted infantry, including TG3 Battalion HQ and Igla platoon, 1x Air Controller team with 2x MI-24PN and 1x SU-25SM as support.

Decide which group you would like to receive as reinforcements and let me know within the next few days.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

This is untrue.

ERA or APS estentially grabts temporary immunity from HEAT rockets/ATGM so BMP 3s are much more survivable

The ATGMs on those BMP 2s are also really old and super ineffective

1/3 of the BMP-3s would come with ERA, none would come with APS.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

To give everyone an idea of when I want to get this started, tentatively, the first round of orders will be due next Wednesday at midnight.

Also known as Thursday, October 6th, 00:00 EST which is four days or so from now.

That's not a very long time to come up with a battle-plan for an engagement this large, especially since orders have to trickle from top to bottom, but I'd like to give it a shot so I can get the first turn out before Thanksgiving.

If this is too soon for anyone, let me know. I can run the turn either Thursday night or probably the following Tuesday at the earliest.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Forums Terrorist posted:

Actually how heavy is the EW environment? Are our glorious comrades in the EW company shutting down NATO's eyes and ears?

EW is not active for anyone. C2 that's less of a pain in the rear end is a nice feature of modern combat for everybody.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

They'll fire at the larger drones. The small drones would be invulnerable. But they don't have very much observational capability anyway (200m max radius, 1-2 minutes to move them IIRC).

GI, what are the call-in times of our various artillery options looking like from both the FOs and the different officers?

With your current artillery:

Forward Observer:
3-4 minutes for 82mm self propelled mortars (2S24)
5 minutes for 152mm self-propelled artillery (S219M2)

Any HQ:
5-6 minutes for 82mm mortar
6-7 minutes for 152mm artillery

Main modifier for call in time is experience. There was a 'green' officer mixed in somewhere who would take ~9 minutes to call in the big guns.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Who commands the company heavy weapon platoons?

They're company level assets, so the company commander. Again, not a rule set in stone or anything, you can feel free to subordinate them to your platoon commanders as you see fit.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Generation Internet, what do the engineers have? Do they have mines etc? Do the American troops, those Geneva-naysayers, theoretically have mines and such?

Just flipped through the manual to confirm, the main thing that distinguishes them from a regular combat squad is that they have a shitload of demolition charges. They can breach through obstacles all the way to Kiev.

Both sides are arriving at this battlefield around the same time, neither has had time to prepare it with defenses.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

Roll20 is up:

https://app.roll20.net/join/1705309/x__W3Q

Sign up and make an account. I'll have to promote you to "GM" before you can draw on the map.

We can use Roll20 to draw out and discuss plans, but I want to make sure that our primary tactical discussion takes place in the forum thread.

Here's the link to actually join and not just the one straight to the campaign.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I appreciate your elan, Phi, but unfortunately I can't accept your orders because you wrote them for a country and higher command that no longer exist :ussr:

Also Stavka isn't an acronym

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

That was my intent, yeah.

edit:

Generation Internet

I've missed it if it was mentioned somewhere. Are there going to be more than one turn run on the first set of orders?

Good point, I think I mentioned it somewhere but it might have been in the open thread.

First turn will be five minutes long or until an engagement with the enemy, plan accordingly.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Also, for completely clarity, here is your final OOB. The only changes will be whenever your spreadsheet is completely filled out so I can name the rest of your commanders.

Reinforcements:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HQ's are mounted in the first BTR, right? There was some quick battle I was playing where the vehicles didn't have any extra room and so HQ had to loving walk.

They start in the same BTR as first squad, I'm pretty sure they fit.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Professor_Curly made an executive decision in Roll20 to take the BMP-2M/T-72B3 force.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

To expand upon this:

If you put your BTRs in a column and give them all orders to move out you NEED to give all vehicles but the lead incremental pause orders or the AI will gently caress up the pathing and cause them to go in all sorts of loving directions and get stuck for at least a minute.

So this:

Lead - move
Second - pause :05, move
Third - pause :10, move
Fourth - pause :15, move

Another reason this great game is a flaming piece of poo poo.

Confirming that the AI will gently caress up your entire deployment for at least 10 turns if you try and move too many vehicles close to each other at the same time.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You didn't cut this down, did you? I opened it up and the page for the download mentioned it was a master map similar to Market Garden in which the whole thing wasn't intended to be played at once.

itrunssofuckingbad and I have no units on map yet.

Nope I have made a Poor Decision and I'm running with the entire thing since it was the biggest map I could find. The last game Grey Hunter ran was on a stock 'huge' map and with the way that ended I was kinda traumatized.

I managed to run the scenario for enough turns that all the units arrive on the map and it's a bit choppy, but stable with everything turned down.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Hubis posted:

I had also questioned whether our ostensibly amphibious BTRs could ford the swamp outright, but was led to believe they'd end up bogged down and thus totally stuck. If anyone is able to confirm (or test this out themselves) that would be a great data point as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbGwmI6RDQI

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

If either side sees barrages falling on turn one I'm just going to stop it there and give everyone a chance to respond. Currently the first turn is likely going to be one minute because of your barrages in the vicinity of the NATO deployment, so not much is going to happen for a while.

e: My entire premise for this game was not being a literalist :mad:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I appreciate the sentiment, but understand that your traffic situation is inherently hosed by the virtue of trying to move two companies of motorized infantry and support into a forest through farmer's fields and swamps :v:

E: that is to say, the most valiant micro-management of pathing cannot completely compensate for the terrain and TacAI that will start to make its own decisions

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 5, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Katznmaus posted:

What have we done?! :ussr:

Gonna run the turn tonight at some point. probably, and your side is looking all good to me. Dunno if you're in the danger zone Phi but stay safe regardless.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Did you know an artillery barrage of sufficient intensity can completely destroy all the trees in a forest :)

I think they might have to be 'personnel' i.e. air-bursting, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I made a test quick-battle with nothing but artillery on either side, called all of it on the same 100m patch of trees, and watched it magically vanish within thirty seconds. I don't know how that actually affects cover and other things like that. What's interesting is that it's the actual tiles on the ground in the forest that determine what is and isn't accessible to vehicles and not the actual trees, so even if you knock down all the trees on a 'heavy forest' tile nothing will be able to drive through there.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Katznmaus posted:

How long did it take for you to input the commands and related to that, how many hairs did turn grey during this procedure?

Five hours.

:suicide:

Update 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZvzF7Laio4

*Note, something ate the first minute of video between recording, rendering, and uploading. Nothing really happens though! If anyone really wants to see it I can either upload the save or re-record the turn.

I'm also uploading the save for turn 5, I'll post again when it's online.

The next turn will be an additional five minutes or until engaging the enemy! Orders will be due next Monday.

e: Save file!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5huf5vqj67f5lwg/Goon%20Game%20Turn%205%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0

Password: Poutine

Let me know if that works.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Putting in fine placement orders will honestly probably be easier than complicated map-spanning orders with conditionals and pauses :unsmith:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

dublish posted:

Watching the video, and apparently I have KYOON GRIFFEY JR (who hasn't posted in this thread?) commanding our 4th Weapons Platoon, and gamerofthegame commanding our 5th Tank Platoon.

Welcome to 2nd Company! 4th Platoon is supporting Fuligin's 2nd, and 5th is supporting Yooper's 1st. If and when we start moving from the positions we're heading to at the moment, you'll have control over your platoons.

I added in spectators as platoon commanders for added fun when people start dying, purely cosmetic :)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Is that needed, though? It's rather doubtful FACs could get LOS on them all the way back here, right? And they can't share ammo at 100m apart.

Self-propelled mortars don't share ammo as far as I know.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

If you overload your units they move slower (lose access to FAST command altogether) and gain fatigue faster, I think. It's definitely modeled in some capacity.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

re: iglas: Did we hear or suspect air?

Gameplay wise you heard nothing besides your own smoke barrage for the entirety of the five turns.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

professor_curly posted:

:siren: Battalion Recon :siren:

:siren:1st Coy:siren:

:siren: 2nd Coy :siren:

:siren: 3rd Coy :siren:

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Please don't micro-manage platoon and squad deployments, that leaves your company and platoon commanders with nothing to do. Nobody should be quoting you to say 'do this' in a perfect world.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

abelian posted:

The deadline was "Monday". I take that to presumably mean midnight EST, but I don't think Generation Internet gave an official time. I think it's Turkey day north of the border today, so I'm not sure how that will affect things.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone :canada:

Just got back from being out of town with family for the weekend and it looks like there wasn't a lack of things to do for anyone else either. Orders will be final in 24 hours unless anyone wants it pushed back further.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Update 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhINLhkT5IU

Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xui5sodbdstzee7/Goon%20Game%20Turn%207%20RUS%20Replay.bts?dl=0
Password: Poutine

Orders will be due this Friday at 18:00 EST

On formatting: Things have been shot. Modern combat is fast and brutal, with death happening in the blink of an eye. This format is super slow, with each minute of action taking three days at a time. I want to know if people would prefer a standard minute by minute play-through or a hybrid multi-minute per turn format where you give me conditionals so I can reasonably react with your troops without stopping the game. My reasoning for this is that with one minute turns we'll end up with players doing nothing but 'continue orders' for weeks of real time since they're not in position while other players are going fast and furious with modern combat.

Let me know what you think and we'll take it from there. For now you can treat the next turn as if it will be one minute for consistency's sake and so people can get their orders in. Gonna try and standardize on a two minute turn.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Quick logistical note - going to try and standardize on two minute turns so this doesn't take forever.

:siren:Plan your orders accordingly for a two minute turn:siren:

That mostly just means make sure you give me some conditional orders so your units can still react to threats without stopping the game every 60 seconds.

• Locked thread