Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Here's the manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7u7PdSjD7PQelVoSEwyczI0ZDA

Please review the units you're commanding if you're not familiar with Black Sea.

The BTR-82 is pretty much just an APC. The only armaments are a pair of machine guns. It's a way to get infantry somewhere fast and carry extra ammo for them, but little else.

The best tank in the Ukrainian arsenal is the T-84 Oplot, which is no Abrams but still pretty modern. I think they have a high rarity value though, so hopefully we're only contending with T-72s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

The road that cuts from NW to SE has tons of open LOS the whole length of the map after it straightens out. Same for the stuff to the East of that road in the open fields. There is minimal terrain relief and even where there is, Blufor has some overwatch heights that might be able to reach fairly fast. There are ways for vehicles to move throughout the cuts in the woods on both the East and West side of the map, but they constrict to narrow chokepoints at swampy areas in a few spots. In particular, a quick glance shows an early crossing of the swamp near our deployment but after that we can move throughout the cuts through the woods in the Western side of the map. There is also a lot of terrain relief that way.

Basic first impression from a rushed look: Blufor has better initial overwatch positions of the Eastern and center of the map that they can reach fairly fast. We have places to maneuver on both flanks but more concealment on the Western side. In both cases we will have to be wary of support fire, and drone overwatch at select chokepoints. The center and immediate center East of the map has opportunities for long range ATGM and tank fire.

I was just thinking the same about the ATGMs. I wouldn't be surprised to see the enemy go on the offensive since it sounds like their goal is to escape to the edge of the map. Concealed ATGMs would wreck any oh-so-goon-like charges up the highway.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Who commands the company heavy weapon platoons?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

1/3 Orders - Updated 10/5

Setup

Column formation in the box, pointed south. About 30m spacing. 3rd BTR in front, 2nd in middle, 1st in rear. Infantry mounted in their default vehicles.

Orders

PAUSE 30 seconds, then move QUICK per yellow lines. I especially want to stay on the road when passing through the marshes. If my vehicles get jammed up with each other, please add some 5s staggered pauses to sort them out.

Contingencies

I want to stay behind the battalion recon no matter what. Please reduce my movement speed if necessary to ensure this.

If the marsh crossing is under bombardment, halt at the blue dot.

To my fellow platoon commands

We should coordinate to avoid jams at the crossing. My understanding from our CO is that the travel order for the main crossing is: Recon, 3rd, 2nd, 1st. Let's try to maintain this with staggered pauses as necessary.

Decoy Badger let me know if you need me to add a pause command so you can get ahead of me.

Fray fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 6, 2016

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

HQ's are mounted in the first BTR, right? There was some quick battle I was playing where the vehicles didn't have any extra room and so HQ had to loving walk.

Yes, that's the case in the intro video.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Davin, I'm pretty sure Curly's intent is to use the 152s for the highway missions.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Just added tables to the roster sheet to track what support assets have been attached to the companies.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Fray: Please reduce speed to QUICK to avoid getting bogged.
Done.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Orders updated.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Well we're moving a lot better than I feared. I'm surprised none of our choke points are getting bombarded.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

NastyToes posted:

Try to imagine what the dashcam videos must be like.

Before long they'll be getting out and jumping on each other's hoods so they can sue for "injuries."

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Just have all my BTRs follow this path. Yellow for QUICK, blue for MOVE through the forest tiles.

At the end of the path, DISEMBARK infantry and send QUICK to the dots as marked. FACE all units south.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

It's cool, I commanded once and I know how strong that temptation is.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Discussion per Roll20 last night was that we might put a mortar mission on Mirage. They probably have BTRs behind it other than that one we killed, and probably dismounting stuff into the trees.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, not much to say until we get recon results. Based on our estimate of their travel progress, it's going to be several videos before any proper attack can develop in our sector.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Per Roll20 it sounds like 1st coy's intentions are still in flux, but I'm about to get on a plane and need to put something down. This should get me positioned for a possible move south into Jagged and help Hubis with perimeter security.

Continue previous orders for my BTRs, except change destination as shown in yellow. Dismount at end of yellow line and move infantry QUICK to marked dots. FACE infantry south. At the end of the path, please position the BTRs in a column pointed west.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

professor_curly posted:

We're discussing the plan right now in Roll20 if people can stop by and give me their thoughts.

Phone posting, but I agree entirely with glynn's assessment.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

QUICK per yellow with my BTRs.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Cancel prior orders. MOVE BTRs to the indicated positions. DISMOUNT infantry and MOVE to indicated dots. FACE per blue lines.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 19, 2016

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hubis posted:

"made it into the manual, and has remained there even though it never was coded."

MANUALS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY :smithicide:

groggames.txt

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Continue previous orders. I think my squads still need to be split.

Fray posted:

ORDERS - 1/3

Cancel prior orders. MOVE BTRs to the indicated positions. DISMOUNT infantry and MOVE to indicated dots. FACE per blue lines.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hey, I won't get free in time to post my orders so someone go ahead and post for me. Just have my guys start marching south through the woods and send the BTRs to the west edge of the map.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

No new orders for me. I may tweak them when I get closer to the goal.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

MOVE infantry to destinations and FACE as shown. Continue BTR orders.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I'm on travel in bumfuck Wyoming today so I'll just continue my orders and do tweaks next turn. Don't think I'll complete them for a while anyway.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Adjustments to prior orders as shown. Still using normal move. No change to BTRs. The 4th/C HMG is attached to me now.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

4th Platoon A team HMG is now attached to me. MOVE and FACE units in positions as shown. No new orders for units not indicated.

Fray fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 21, 2016

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Don't forget that we've got two more companies arriving in about 15 minutes. If we are going to do any company level actions, then around now is a good time to start getting ready. Call it 10 minutes for recon and getting units to jump off points. 5 minutes to advance and start fighting. About that time, our reinforcements enter and we've got a wave of fresh guys hitting the front lines about 5 minutes after that. Deploy them to reinforce our most successful areas and we might roll up a few enemy units.

If we can draw NATO into fully committing against our current forces, we might just blitz our reinforcements straight down the highway, grab the town, and be in their rear.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS 1/3

Move QUICK my BTRs. Line them up abreast at the yellow line and FACE them per blue. Continue the infantry orders.

I don't think my HMG order was input from this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792674&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=24#post466535829
That's for the 4th platoon / C team. Please include that.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

Hubis' BTRs got pushed up but it was still Fray's that died. RIP empty BTR. The bronegruppa should be able to kill the ATGM team that got the BTR and then retreat the vehicles to better cover. With two ATGM teams in place to guard the field the tanks won't need to overwatch the field.

The 4th Platoon HQ is in position and can call in a harass mortar mission on that treeline to make it undesirable for the enemy to plant more infantry there if we want to use this flank for maneuver. It only took 33 minutes!

That wasn't one of mine that died. I can have all my BTRs suppress the ATGM until the tanks can put a heat round on it.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

HUNT my squads through the woods as shown. Keep them split and try to advance in line abreast. Continue orders for the HMGs.

Halt my 2nd BTR.

With the 1st BTR, halt and target the ATGM team (area target if necessary). Pause 30 seconds and then start reversing back to where my 2nd BTR is.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Hubis posted:

Heads up: HUNT will fatigue your guys. You're not going too far, and you will have time to rest before I meet up and we want to deploy again -- I just want to make sure it's something you keep an eye on.

I'm aware, but I'd rather take some fatigue than walk into hostiles on a regular move command. They're doing something right in front of us so best to assume contact before long.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The hull down command is something they did have in the original games 16 years ago.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

So I was planning on running the turn later today but it doesn't look like anyone has posted any new orders? Are people just wanting to finish whatever orders are already being carried out? Losing interest?

Let me know, I can give the turn more time if you guys need it.

Oh crap, I just now noticed that we've resumed. I could use an extra day to get mine in.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

Alright, time to have ourselves a retarded knife fight in the woods. Going to just make some small adjustments and try to get my HQ safe.

Cancel any prior orders. MOVE the unit on the left per blue. HUNT the unit on the right per yellow. Give my HQ a 15 second target on the enemies it was engaging, then QUICK per red. Have them pop smoke if they can.

Fray fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 19, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Not sure if they do, but that's a good idea.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Real orders will come tomorrow, but I'll form up a square and hold them off while trying to rest. Someone should check if the hostile infantry on my right can get LOS on the tanks. It's a good bet they'll try to open the secondary exit by sneaking up Atgms or javelins against our armor.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

ORDERS - 1/3

MOVE per yellow and FACE per blue. DEPLOY the HMG after its move.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

I don't really remember either so yeah, knock yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Adding the secondary exit makes things a lot more urgent than it was originally. Once the reinforcements arrive I think we pretty much have to charge them down to the crossroad as fast as possible and then try to roll down the NATO line towards the SW exit.

As it stands right now, 2-3 Abrams could probably just roll up and kill our armor overlooking the SW exit. Then we really have no way of stopping NATO from reaching it. Making NATO react to a giant ball of units charging down the highway will keep them from putting together a breakout plan.

And I'm kind of curious how the victory conditions work out if NATO opts to take that much easier road instead of the primary one.

• Locked thread