Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Look at what you people made me do.

Now I can discover the horrible fate my platoon will experience on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

1/2 - Yooper checking in.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

:frogsiren:Alright comrades, finish that vodka and wake up Ivan. It's time to roll. :frogsiren:

For the field crossing, please avoid plowed ground, instead go like this.

T-90's first. Please add a 10 second buffer between vehicles.

They will all move FAST as noted on the PINK route (over the bridge). If there is a nasty snarl up please add another 10 second delay per vehicle. Once at the end of the pink route then follow the marked green route...

Tanks #1 and #2 will take up hulldown positions just behind the crest of the rise. Both will hopefully be tucked in nice and tight into the edge of the trees while still maintaining a clear line down the length of victory road.

Tank #3, the HQ tank, will be in reserve. Please tuck in nice and cozy like into the treeline and out sight of those pesky UAV's.

30 Second Pause first.

Please follow the PINK route across the bridge then through the farmfields towards the GREEN path. Then follow the GREEN path into position.

All three BTR's will move as quickly (FAST on hard surfaces QUICK on soft surfaces) as possible into marked positions.

Infantry will then dismount and follow the small PINK paths. Ideally the infantry will be just inside the woodline with a view down the road.

Question for CM experts. What's the best way to have my units hold fire? I know I can activate a hide command but is that the best way to do a proper ambush?

Yooper fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 6, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

Target arcs (ugh, I feel dirty just saying it). They're finicky, since your units will ONLY fire at targets within the arc, but for a short-range ambush they should do the trick.

Ahh, bummer. I'd hoped they'd have added something new.

Well, maybe my forward element can use a target arc, at least everyone isn't hosed then.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Wait, where's 2nd company's tanks even ordered to go?

Yup, I got em going hull down on the reverse slope on Victory Road. If we've got a spare dude who wants them I've got no issue handing them over.

As long as I'm bribed with vodka and Adidas wind pants.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Oh dear. :saddowns:

I have a few options. I can cut through Viridian City to Berry Fields with the BTR's, or take them South through another crossing in the swamp.

Do you know if the other berm crossings are any better?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I did a quick test with some BTR's.

They seemed to move pretty well through that field just west of Viridian City. With the light rain do I run the risk of bogging down? The Rida crossing point was also quick, but quite congested.

I'm also worried about the bridge at the top of the Florida Swamp as a potential chokepoint / artillery funnel. But for now I like the field route and will modify my orders if no one has any objections.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

professor_curly posted:

Are you on the road that 3rd Coy is going to be using on that northern route though?

Yes unfortunately. At least until we were across the bridge. Otherwise we're bottled up through the original crossing. The orders could be amended to cross it more cautiously and have the T-90's move ahead and hold until the BTR's pass.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

Cross slowly then. I don't want our tanks waiting in line behind 3rd Co. If 2nd and 3rd Platoons are delayed, we can adapt as needed, but 1st is covering the Victory/Rte 23 junction and Mount Silver.

You got it. I've amended the orders to slow the BTR's down at that point.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just tested going over the swamp route and the BTR's just paused, turned, paused, and even after five minutes of resetting orders at various speeds they wouldn't cross. The BTR's will have to go over the bridge then cut through the fields. It works well as long as they stay out of the plowed sections. This way we at least aren't making GBS threads up the town route. The only slow section is the crossing towards the bottom of the screenshot. I haven't had any vehicles bog yet, but I did have quite a few bog in the plowed fields.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I'm stuck on airplanes for the rest of the day. Dublish, could you add a set of orders for me today? Otherwise please continue with current orders.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So was that a triple kill or just a double kill with a single round? That was pretty awesome, I had no idea the game modeled ballistics like that.

And I'm back, Dublish, want me to remain in position or pivot with some of my units?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

professor_curly posted:

Phi230 posted:

Im extremely apprehensive about moving our tanks especially if the reports of enemy armor on overwatch are true.

We must deploy ATGMs and ride out the storm, imo

2nd Coy - Sorry again about the override, but I think it worked out ok. Be ready to receive an attack from the South across Mount Silver/the Danger Zone. If this frontal attack of theirs is called off (as I expect it will be), those forces will probably pull back and take the Fiery Path/move across Golem Draw to attack from the Southeast. That will take a while though. Overall I like that your armored element is potentially cutting them off from Mirage Island. Maybe push the tank that didn't fire forward to get better spotting? Does unbuttoning do anything to help spotting in this game? Of course it very well could be that was their forward-most element trying to make it to Mirage Island. That would match up to the distance the other vehicles we've seen have traveled. That's a minor coup if we managed it.

I'm planning on leaving my HQ tank in position to cover Mt Silver. I need to test LOS from my current position and will do when I get home. As far as the tank that didn't fire, I'm planning on moving it up slightly to get position on the crossroads. I'm afraid of getting popped if I move ahead, but I'm not sure I can leave it where it is either.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Right! The armor is looking pretty good. My BTR's are running into pathing issues through the forest so I'm sending sending them back a bit to follow a road out. In addition I'll be moving up my southern tank into a small rise further down the road. It looks like it'll still give me a hulldown and coverage of that crossroads. Right now that tank doesn't have visibility until about 2km out (the steel bridge).

HQ Tank will remain in reserve where he is.
Tank #1 will remain in position on the North sidish side of the road.
Tank #2 will move FAST to the marked position. There's a slight dip in the terrain there that should allow for some hulldown positioning with allowing for a view down that steeper section.

Cancel current moves on all three of my BTR's. Instead send them west QUICK and have them use the road to get onto the main road. At that point move FAST until they reach TANK #1. Halt here and continue the rest of the move in the second minute of this round. From that point I'd like to drop the three BTR's along the woodline as marked in BLUE above.

If I may have a conditional order, if Tank #1 gets popped on its way into position during that first minute turn, please halt my three BTR's on the back side of the rise behind Tank #1.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BTR's, continue as ordered. DISMOUNT upon arrival at destination and disperse about 50 meters to either side of the vehicle but remain in the wood line.

Tanks - Tank 1 & 2 remain in position. HQ Tank move QUICK on the following path. Upon arrival at the end FACE towards the Southeast and put the rear end of the tank just into the woodline.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is going to end badly for that HQ Tank that's watching the Iron Curtain.

I've got some infantry coming, right?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

Nope. HQ prioritized speed over safety for this one.

As I see it, we can either withdraw the tank, or push NastyToes forward ASAP. It's possible we haven't been spotted, but I think it's unlikely that they haven't at least gotten a sound contact. If NastyToes moves up, it'll take time for him to get back into his vehicles. I don't think there's a good solution to this problem.

Worst case we lose the tank. But is it worth the risk of stopping any vehicles that might be moving up? That single holding position might be able to secure that keyhole for a minute or two.

Or it'll die in a fire.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

BTR's will move to the edge of the woodline and hold, providing overwatch, until the Infantry have crossed the open ground. (Please set a MOVE order in the middle of the woodline and then a second move order just on the edge. This will prevent them from driving down the road to find a shortcut)

Infantry will move QUICK halfway across the field, then MOVE the rest of the way. They will take up positions as noted on the map.

Both tanks will OPEN UP so the commanders can air out that cabbage odor.

Tank 5/1 will PAUSE for 30 seconds then REVERSE into the edge of the woodline. Tank 5/2 will MOVE through the woodline into the field. Once in the field please move QUICK to the position noted on the map. Then REVERSE into the edge of the woodline.

If, after the first minute, Tank 5/1 is dead, please halt 5/2's move and tuck him into cover on the western edge of the field.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 18, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Sweet loving jesus.

:ohdear:

Thank god for the recon squad.

Can we hold this position or is it time for some reversing-leaping-overwatch back towards Victory Road? Or are these tanks committed?

:negative:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Preliminary Orders

BTR's and Infantry - Continue move.

1/2 will SPLIT a recon team and move it FAST until the second red dot where they will PAUSE for 15 seconds before MOVE to the edge of, but not onto, Ravaged Path. Set a Target arc at like 50 meters or some such so they don't get all retarded and fire at someone across the map.

Tank 5/2 : OPEN UP if not already open. POP SMOKE. PAUSE for 5 seconds. Then REVERSE and follow the marked GREEN path on the map below. Try and keep next to the woodline and don't stop until we're past that wooded outcropping. FACE due South.

Tank 5/1 (HQ) : OPEN UP if not already open. Then REVERSE and follow the marked GREEN path on the map below. POP SMOKE at the marked GRAY line on the map. Try and keep next to the woodline and don't stop until the tank is on the side of the ridge. FACE towards the opening that we just came from.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 22, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

One other option is I could pop smoke, roll into the woodline, call down an artillery strike, and hold the NATO forces where they are. The smoke will hold for about 2 minutes. After that clears I could pop smoke a second time. Now we're only one minute away from the bombardment. By that point we should have the infantry in place and a possible solid line of defence.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So there's a slight rise in the middle of Mt. Silver. It's just big enough that it doesn't offer the ability to shoot into the Iron Curtain Gap without being in kind of lovely positioning.

The units in the north only have LOS halfway across the field. The tank position on the East has limited visibility as well. The western tank will be fairly exposed to ATGM fire from the Ravaged woodline unless it pulls back beyond the rise.

What we might be able to do is call in an artillery strike where 5/1 and 5/2 are and let the NATO forces roll into the gap once we vacate it. At that point we'll have two tanks keeping them bottled up along with incoming infantry for support.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

I should be able to get Fuligin and the grenade launcher platoon to back up Yooper quickly and keep NastyToes in reserve. I want to keep him out of the fight as long as possible so he can recover some stamina.

And here's some LOS info for the HMG and AGL teams.

Anything in between those two spots has lovely, or zero, LOS to the far treeline. But a BTR can exit the woods and get hulldown while getting good LOS across the gap.

I do believe I'll be pulling my BTR's back to that point, they see just as well as if they were close to infantry. The only issue will be extracting those troops.

Also, any special spot for the T-90's? (edit : here's some LOS shots) Do I want LOS across the gap, or would we prefer they have to move forward so we don't eat any ATGM's?

Yooper fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 25, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You got it. I'll get orders up tonight.

I've got an artillery mission going too, this is about the location :

Yah, it's gonna be close.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We don't know if we're looking at a company-sized attack or a single scout team.

My understanding from Curly is that after the next turns if it was only a scout team we can cancel it. However if it is a concerted push we can let it go and have it dropping that much sooner.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First off, we're calling in some mortars. 3 Tubes - Heavy / Medium. Anti-Personnel

If, after the next two minutes, everything looks chill, we'll cancel it.

Infantry next.

1st Squad : Remain in position.
2nd Squad : SPLIT Scout team, scouts advance QUICK to the edge of the treeline then FAST across the open section, then HUNT to the edge of the road line. The rest of 2nd Squad will HUNT to the edge of the woodline.
3rd Squad : HOLD (please ignore the graphic)

3rd BTR : Move ahead a bit and tuck into a better spot.

Armor

Please reposition 2nd MBT.

Continue reversing the other two MBT's into the treeline.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 26, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hubis posted:

1,000 meters for naval guns larger than 5-inch. For naval 16-inch ICM, danger close is 2,000 meters.

Naval bombardments? Dont tease me! I'd so call that down on our position.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Katznmaus posted:

The units probably won't get there in the next 5 minutes, but theoretically speaking, how unwise would it be to set up an Batallion ATGM team in the wooded spot on Mt. Silver?

Should I rather set it up in the back near the highway?

I'd probably stick it in the woodline myself. If you're in the copse you'd probably get one shot off before being suppressed to hell whereas if you were in the woods the hostiles might advance further, but they'll eat a few more ATGM's at the same time.
It also looks like a spot where an ATGM would go, so I could see NATO focusing some fire there regardless if we had anything in place.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This is how I see it at the moment.

The big question mark I have is the gold arrow, are they pushing west, and if so what are they aiming to do? Same with the Mt. Silver push, are they really planning on heading up North through there?

I agree with Jagged pass, if we can lock that down then they are almost forced to push up on the east side of Mt. Silver. If they continue to push West and head up Mt Moon I'm confident we can shift assets on Victory road in time to deny them that route as well.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've got two AT-7 teams sitting in front of me.

Maybe an AT14 would be of use? Do we have an optics or detection benefit for a tank over an ATGM?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CANCEL Mortar barrage.

2nd Squad B Team - Continue Scouting
2nd Squad A Team - Cancel the PAUSE and continue movement.

3rd Squad SPLIT
3rd Squad A Team PAUSE 20 seconds, then HUNT to edge of woodline.
3rd Squad B Team HUNT to edge of woodline.

Everyone else please remain in position.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

dublish posted:

I've got no new orders for 2nd Company, but I'd appreciate it if one of my guys with the game could give me a couple of screenshots of the various platoons' locations.

Done!

Overall

1st

2nd

3rd

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Please have my Scout Team HUNT through the treeline parallel to Ravaged Path.

Have my westernmost Squad HUNT until they are near the other squad.

Have the squad near contact FACE towards the last known sighting.

Have the northernmost squad FACE as per the map.

Armor

Please move like this.

BTR's

Have the #2 BTR please fire upon the infantry contact that it has visual contact with.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 2, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

#2 BTR is putting in a requisition to the Regiment Supply Sergeant for new underwear.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So I might be out and about for the weekend so here's some orders. Dublish, if you need to amend this please do.

Have the Battalion ATGM Squad move up and replace the AT7 team.

Dismount the HQ and move ten meters to the West in the treeline.Everyone with red arrows please TARGET the area as close as you can. 2nd Squad A Team will move QUICK then HUNT until they are parallel with the other squad. Please cancel the PAUSE. 2nd Squad B team will continue to HUNT down the treeline. Please cancel PAUSE orders as they come up. Armor will remain in position for now.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hubis posted:

Should 1/2's BTRs remain on station, or start rallying to move south? Now that ForumsTerrorist is in the area I feel like I've got some breathing room.

Should I peel a scout team or two into the big dark forest?

Remind me: what are you are using to get in-game screenshots?

I'm using Jing.

It works decently well, though I usually have cancel the first screenshot, alt-tab to get it to refresh the view, then take another. But it's worked much better than the other screenshot programs I tried.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

So I went through and tried to get an idea from our sound contacts which way the hostiles are moving.

We've definitely got an armor contact moving on the road, though it seems to halt in it's current position. Not sure if that's just the last sound contact, or actual stopping point.

We've definitely got multiple squads along with vehicles pushing North into Jagged Pass East. Unfortunately at the moment the spur they are heading into is pretty lightly defended.

The contacts East of Mt. Silver are advancing to contact.

Lastly we have some armor that tried to move up.

In addition we have the incoming NATO helicopter. I also noticed that our solid infantry contact is actually a Javelin team. They don't have LOS to Fuligin, but if anything moves south they will.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

My BTR's will continue area fire into the area where the hostiles were last seen. Infantry will cancel area fire and hold positions. Scout team will cancel HUNT order and MOVE along the woodline before doing a 15 second PAUSE before repeating this. Armor will please REVERSE into the woodline so that the chopper doesn't murder it.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

First off, mount up the HQ and get all of my BTR's heading towards the woodline. When the 3rd BTR gets into position have them area fire at the assholes. If no assholes are visible, have them shoot in the general direction of where the assholes were.

1st Squad : PAUSE for 25 seconds and ASSAULT through the woodline.

2nd Squad A Team : Area fire towards the assholes

2nd Squad B Team : QUICK back into cover!

3rd Squad A Team : MOVE forward as shown on the map.

3rd Squad B Team : MOVE forward as shown on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You got it!

Man, I leave for 48 hours and poo poo gets real. I'll get on Roll20 today, hash out the details, and get orders tonight.

With all these BTR's it's going to be like the Russian Mad Max.

Is it worth moving my armor up a bit out of the woods to catch the enemy armor if they move up? I'm worried that once that Abrams pair moves up they could shoot the advancing BTR's right in the rear end.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 16, 2016

• Locked thread