Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel"
BTR1 with 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ
BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf

Deploy next to roads as not to hinder traffic, let other parts of the battle group pass first.

Try to keep the eager troops to keep to this company schedule if possible:
3HQ
3/3
3 Armoured
3/1 <-
3/2
When on the turn have about 20 seconds between each vehicle.

Move the BTR1 (red) with loaded 3/1/1 Inf and 3/1 HQ into the town, park next to the house and deploy, keep BTR behind the house concealed.
Move HQ into the 1/1 double house. Face SE
Move 3/1/1 Inf into the house. Face S

Move the BTR2 (orange) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face SE

Move the BTR3 (dark red) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face S

Company pals any objections or ideas?

edit:
bolded the added commands, 05/Oct

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I'm far from an expert but one thing I could see in the combat mission games so far is that FIRING ARCS ARE THE BRINGER OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION. FRUSTRATION WILL BE CAST UPON THE ONE WHO WILLS THEM UPON HIS ENEMY.
Facing directions are probably more what you're looking for. I should add these to my orders as well.

Completely unrelated, how could we deal with the enemy following the mountain roads to the south of victory road all the way to the west edge of the map and then border hugging north to their exit point?
I guess there is no such thing as a 'mission complete' when any unit of them reaches the road or am I wrong?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
What have we done?! :ussr:

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

abelian posted:

Which train goes to Krolevets?

This one!

I wonder how many enemy fighter jets we shoot down in turn 1.

Generation Internet posted:

Orders are final
How long did it take for you to input the commands and related to that, how many hairs did turn grey during this procedure?

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 7, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

abelian posted:

I took some screens to help people figure out where their poo poo actually is.
Thank you for all these videos and pictures, these really do help.

I think it's a really nice touch our pixelmen actually do have our names and to boot, there are even more goons involved now. Saros is probably totally thrilled that I will bring his squad immediate bombardment by fighter jets glory and victory.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I'll try to have orders in tomorrow as I'm currently in Berlin scouting for our next advances. :v:

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

professor_curly posted:

Katz - the orders are due in ~6 hours. Is it ok if Phi puts in something for you, if necessary?

Oh sorry, in that case yes please!

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf

Phone posting - sorry for the cruddy quality.

Intention: redeploy troops to the marked "3rd coy b" territory along victory road. To do that, pack up the infantry back into their BTRs and drive those along the roads or through passable terrain to their target locations.
Once there, dismount the infantry and disperse in the woods.

Pack up the HQ and 3/1/1 in BTR1 and follow (red). At location dismount 3/1/1 and drive BTR further into woods to counter splash explosion damage.
Face ESE

Pack up 3/1/2 in BTR2 and follow (blue) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face SE

Pack up 3/1/3 in BTR3 and follow (orange) along the roads and deploy in the woods, keep the BTR a bit away from the infantry which take the front. Face S

Authorizing emergency diverting or halting actions by company or upper

edit: ah snap! :argh:

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

I'll take it you were writing that up before I posted so I'll get you :)
Thanks!

Exciting things are happening! I wonder if that contact in the south is the american group, as the icon looks a lot like a Bradley in the manual. Maybe sound contacts aren't that decisive in their identification procedure. "Ah yes comrade, you hear that certain rattling of the forward left key chain hook, the splish splash dripping of laser pointer lighter fluid in the holding tank and that distinct leaf rustling beneath the semi-spaced full armored QuickSnap™© tank treads - this certainly must be the new M7A3 Bradley APS variant!"

I wonder how many vehicles we will have at the very end not backed up into trees or forever stuck in ravines. :downs:

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf

No new orders, follow previous orders:

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Sit tight and weather the storm. 3 Coy main obj. should be to blunt the spear. Spear is not blunted till we incur heavier casualties.
3./1. is currently on guard duty to protect the southern approaches to Viridian City. The situation on Mount Silver seems pretty dire and my units are not that far off to assist the brave comrades there until the rest of 2nd Coy arrives at their position.

This could be called: Operation reactive spear blunting

What's your take on this?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf
Soon: ATGM team from Jaguars!

BTR1 with 3/1/1 move along (red) line, at location dismount 3/1/1 Inf and disperse. Face S

BTR2 with 3/1/2 disperse Inf in the woods away from the BTR and have them overlook the street Face SE

BTR3 with 3/1/3 wait for the ATGM to be dropped off from Jaguars!, then load ATGM into BTR, follow (yellow) next to the road and drop off ATGM near BTR2, then follow along (yellow) further and move into the woods, unmount 3/1/3 and disperse. Face S

ATGM team, after dropped off near BTR2, move into cover/woods. Face S

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^ Alright will do.

BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf + Soon: ATGM team from Jaguars!

(Future) Intentions: Move all assets to the new focus point. Have a good overlook of the hill top with the BTRs and the RPG teams while in cover, scout into the woods with the rifles.

Move 3/1/1 into BTR1.
BTR1 with 3/1/1 move along red line, at location dismount 3/1/1 and move them into the woods. Face S

Move 3/1/2 into BTR2.
BTR2 with 3/1/2 move along orange line, at location dismount 3/1/2 and move them into the woods.Face SE

BTR3 with 3/1/3 wait for the ATGM team from Jaguars!.
Load ATGM into BTR3, follow cyan.

------------
The units probably won't get there in the next 5 minutes, but theoretically speaking, how unwise would it be to set up an Batallion ATGM team in the wooded spot on Mt. Silver?

Should I rather set it up in the back near the highway?

What is the status of our anti air teams? Should we move some forward to this increasing concentration of our forces, and would that even help? The range seems infinite but they would be closer with shorter missile flight durations. Maybe someone knows.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

BTR2 with 3/1/2 Inf
BTR3 with 3/1/3 Inf + Bat. ATGM team from Jaguars!

(Future) Intentions: Move all assets to the new focus point. Have a good overlook of the hill top with the BTRs and the RPG teams while in cover, scout into the woods with the rifles.

Move BTR1 with 3/1/1 along red line, at location (red *) dismount 3/1/1 and HQ and move BTR along the left arrow into the woods for cover. Face BTR1 SE
Split 3/1/1 Inf up into Assault and Heavy Weapons team (RPG), move the Assault team hunting along the red arrow south into the woods, the Heavy split and HQ move into cover in woods.

Move BTR2 with 3/1/2 along yellow line, at location dismount 3/1/2 and move them + BTR into the woods for cover. Face SE

Move BTR3 with 3/1/3 and Bat. ATGM along cyan line, load off the ATGM team in to little wooded area (cyan *) have it face SW.
Reverse the BTR back along the cyan line and the move it along the NW arrow. At destination dismount 3/1/3 and move them + BTR into the woods for cover. Face SE

-----
Authorizing emergency stops for my orders to my company + higher.
I doubt I can change anything later today, so these will have to stick for now.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Oh nevermind, the deadline is today and here I was already wondering.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Continue previous orders.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Phi230 posted:

I think 3 coy should act as a wall, creating a clear barrier so that 2 and 3 coy can advance Eastward and we can bottle them up into the open field to act as a killzone.
Can you clarify a bit what we as 3rd Coy should do in the immediate future? Right now we're helping to fill in the gaps - but where do you see us each in 5 turns?
Should my infantry stick around the BTRs for rapid redeployment, prepared to go to a different hotspot, or do you want us to take over general areas each and then decide on our own?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3/1/1 split into Anti-tank and Assault teams
AT on red arrow move to east, Assault team on red arrow hunt orders to southwest

3/1/2 split into Anti-tank and Assault teams
Assault team on orange arrow move orders to south

BTR 3 with 3/1/3 reverse along cyan arrow up north, then move to the west, unload infantry
head infantry into cover of the woods, Face southeast
BTR3 face east

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Grey dotted lines - confirmed contacts
Magenta dotted line - mirror Pewter City - Viridian City
Yellow outline, blue filled box - Ukrainian contacts
Blue outline, white filled box - American contacts

Pewter City and Viridian City are mirror matches, both defended by tanks and ATGMs. Now they move their tanks to the west. The eastern part of the map, along Route 23, seems to be of no further interest to the enemy, which fits the greater circumstances of the map.
The grey lines are "they know we know they know" contacts - contacts they shot at and know we can react to. They probably have a vague idea what is there and that there's more to expect. It seems plausible they know about our solid defense in Viridian City and assessed it rightfully not to attack frontally.
The ongoing eastern attack on Mount Silver is blunted so far by bad LoS - whether it is a flanking maneuver to help a southern attack or a spotting maneuver for the helicopter and artillery we have to wait and see.
The southern encroachment on Mount Silver was succesful so far. They were able to bring their best infantry to play and establish solid positions in the woodlines. Their deployment of infantry might suggest they are here to stay, either offensively or in defense, at least for a while.
We have new contacts in the southwest bend of Ravaged Path, again ukrainian forces. The contact not being a single vehicle might suggest this is not a scouting team but rather a screen against attacks on their southern encroachment base.

I'm not sure where all their tanks are going or where they can be of any use, except for overwatch over established positions, but I think it's worrying we don't know where they are headed. If they are behind the southern bend as Yooper points out, Mounty Pyre might be their next vector of attack, yet I have no idea how this fits in with their eastern attack.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel", Weapons team "Humanitarian Convoy - Beds and Tents", Battalion ATGM team "Lost Muscovite Football Team - Cheerleading Squad"

HQ - pink
3/1/1 - red
3/1/2 - orange
3/1/3 - blue
HMG - black

The positions don't need to be precise, use ones which make more sense.
Lend BTR2 and BTR3 temporarily to dublish, allow further delegation.

Intentions:
Still move over the HMG team (black arrow) from Jaguars! once dropped off and take them somewhere with good firing positions to the southeast and good cover. Try to get eyes on the southern approach on Mt. Silver with the HQ guys (pink) but don't let them peak out into the open.
Have Assault teams guard the southern wooden flank of the support teams, for that move them to the approximate positions (red, orange, blue).
Cones are not firing arcs but facing directions.

Drat, edited the old orders.

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 13, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

professor_curly posted:

I have no idea how aircraft work in this game. I assume our Iglas are not actually a good AA net, given the concern?
Basically, this is what is going to happen:

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^
Even then it would not have turned up by now, for that we have to wait additional 20 minutes.
We are at 03:35:00 down from 04:00:00, the arrival of our reinforcements is scheduled at 03:15:00, 45 minutes after the engagement started.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

dublish posted:

Katznmaus: curly says your BTRs are not really doing anything at the moment. Can I borrow some to really lay the hurt on these Ukrainians? I can't promise I'll return them if they run into any hellfire missiles.
Approved, please make stuff explode.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

3./1. Motostrelki "Prancing Weasel", Weapons team "Humanitarian Convoy - Beds and Tents", Battalion ATGM team "Lost Muscovite Football Team - Cheerleading Squad"

HQ - pink
3/1/1 - red
3/1/2 - orange
3/1/3 - blue
HMG - black

The positions don't need to be precise, use ones which make more sense.
Lend BTR2 and BTR3 temporarily to dublish, allow further delegation.

Intentions:
Still move over the HMG team (black arrow) from Jaguars! once dropped off and take them somewhere with good firing positions to the southeast and good cover. Try to get eyes on the southern approach on Mt. Silver with the HQ guys (pink) but don't let them peak out into the open.
Have Assault teams guard the southern wooden flank of the support teams, for that move them to the approximate positions (red, orange, blue).
Cones are not firing arcs but facing directions.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

I fear for a potential concentrated push of US infantry to dislodge me from my position on the Mt. Silver western side where I don't have the luxury of heavy BTR usage. There is a great HMG I found lying somewhere on the road which I want to help my Assault teams on the reverse slope to fend off the enemy attack (blue arrows) (they are everywhere!). I want the HMG to potential area fire or direct fire at the crest (solid orange line) and the pass east (double solid orange line) from around the counterslope area (dotted orange line).

Is there any position for this endeavour or are the trees too dense for this? Any ideas where else to put the HMG?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^
That's not what I meant by that, please use these BTRs for their full effect in the east where they can help. Great dodge by the way!
I don't think I could get BTRs that far into the woods without them getting stuck, or I rather want them to be more on the mobile side and of position to help around the map and not just a fixed locale.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^
Alright. If my LMGs can suppress infantry contacts, that's all that I need.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

HQ - pink
3/1/1 - red
3/1/2 - orange
3/1/3 - blue
HMG/ATGM - black

Intentions:
Move the infantry teams up to guard the crest of the hill from the reverse slope of the hill. Have the A and B teams alternate (A B A B A) and move the HQ over to get all infantry teams back into radio contact. The ATGM should be in cover of the forrest with sight to the area of the little grove in the SE. Place the MG team in cover of the trees to overwatch the small clearing in the SW.

Thank you, as well as abelian and Jaguars! for the briefing in R20.

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 17, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Continue last orders.

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 21, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

NastyToes posted:

More intel.
[...]
These intel posts are of great value, great job!

Continue last orders.
Try to move 3/1/A towards the previous known tank location closer to the edge of the woods as NastyToes proposes. Try not to get the AI to run all suicidal out into the open - I know it's great weather outside but it's raining airburst munitions. If shot at, move back into more cover.

quote:

That Oplot on Mount Silver has moved towards Ravaged Path. Can't really tell if it just moved behind the Abrams or if it drove through the treeline. The Abrams may also have moved too. That Oplot was on the edge of Kaz's 1st squad A-team's detection range.

If Kaz moves them forward about fifty meters, they may be able to see what those tanks are up to.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Continue last orders and on their destination sit tight.
I don't want to feed the hungry beast with its predator vision modes more of my pixeltroops.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Thank you GI for everything so far, it has been good fun and I hope you can sort everything out eventually - I wish you well!

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Yes this is here. Why are you doing this? Please don't destroy more pixeltanks.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I think this is partly due to the font used.
I think I have the western middle one figured out with guesswork and thinking on what characters could become what.

первинний вихід means primary exit; double checking with the crossroads gave me the p
вторинний вихід means secondary exit; here the "т" or M as I first saw it, I just could not decipher it, but after I found "primary" this was the next logical guess.
третинний вихід means tertiary exit, this is in the upper right.

On the crossroads there is первинна мета - primary goal.
підтримувати відиритий support open(?)
т??х to Krolevets
keep support open to Krolevets? Maybe someone else has another guess

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
I agree, this handwriting is pretty bad. :v:

edit:
But this implicates they can just gently caress off on the lower exit if we're too dug in on their primary exit, and they don't even have to bother with the main road we're blocking, or am I reading this wrong?

Katznmaus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 7, 2017

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

koolkevz666 posted:

I think - підтримувати відиритий = support defenseless

as open made no sense another close translation showed defenseless as a possible word which makes much more sense in a military context.

Edit: Okay this is what I have so far.

Support defenseless ? to Krolevets

or

Support open ? to Krolevets.
тлях means aphids in white russian.
defenseless support aphids to Krolevets.
oh no they are after our leaves!

This is after I cleaned up all the 14mm bullet holes and blood stains, too :v:
I really like this idea.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

koolkevz666 posted:

I loving got it!!! Boo yah!!! God this drove me mad.

It means:

підтримувати відкритий шлях до Кролевець

Maintain open way to Krolevets

So I am thinking that what this means is that the 58 mechanised are arriving as their reinforcements and they are aiming to drive them down that road to Krolevets while the american infantry and tanks breakthrough in the south at the secondary exit.
Well done but how the hell did you find out? There are only three pixels in a different place!

My guess is, rather than it being the plans of their reinforcements (?), it is the current brigades plan. Why would a different brigade have these orders for the reinforcements?
American forces in the south and ukrainians in the north seem to be exactly what is going on.
Where is this supposed hellforest? The ongoing sweeping at the crossroads where the close action is going on?

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Going by this recent dossier, we can assume they really just want to secure the exits and NOT attack our holdings, especially the town, unnecessarily. This is in accordance to the preface of this whole mission, where they try not to be cut off from the rest of the country.
Their priority, secure the highway, if that is not possible, secure the small road south of the highway, if that is not possible, secure the map via the road in the NE (aka lose the game).
At least that is what makes sense to me.

No new orders. Clean the boots and make some food.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Jaguars! posted:

Who is going to command the reinforcements - we need what? one infantry commander per company and one or two for the tanks?
Maybe we can split them up so people commanding existing forces use them at another part of the map and not pool them up with their existing troops. This should help in reducing waiting time for people with stationary troops in the city or behind lines. This would also help the people with helicopters on their rear end to be able to concentrate on something else. Of course this could dilute forces immensely if not used with strict plans.

What is the current plan for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Goddamn. I already dread the road spaghetti.

• Locked thread